PDA

View Full Version : Who'd you get your hair from thread!

cheetahfast
August 10th, 2011, 08:06 AM
My curls were inherited from my father's side of the family; he used to have a huge afro (I told the story of how he got it in another thread, which I couldn't find). I've been told my grandmother had curls as well, however her hair went white and straight. My father's hair is white and straight now as well, but I certainly get my hair from him...here's proof:

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i360/cheetahfast/11112.jpg

AbbyGirl
August 10th, 2011, 08:11 AM
I definitely get my long, straight, fine, fast growing hair from my Dad. =D

irishlady
August 10th, 2011, 08:12 AM
I get my waves from my mom's side of the family, her sister especially.

PinkyCat
August 10th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Cheetah, your dad totally looks like someone I know! It's uncanny! :eek:

I get my curls from my dad too.

Ermine
August 10th, 2011, 08:32 AM
I think I got the fine slightly wavy texture from my mom and the blonde turning brown color from my dad.

Avital88
August 10th, 2011, 08:35 AM
i have the color from my dad, and i think the texture and wurls from my mom.although my mums hair might be a bit dryer than mine..i wished i would know my anchestors more, the only yhing i know is that we all have dark thick poofy wurly hair.

Merewen
August 10th, 2011, 08:37 AM
My hair doesn't look much like anyone's in my immediate family. I suppose their hair is fine-ish, but they don't have the blonde or the curliness. But I do have a cousin on my mom's side that has hair that is spookily similar to mine.

sun-kissed
August 10th, 2011, 08:48 AM
I got my blonde, thin, fine hair from my father. Even his high hair-line is mine. Everyone else in my family has my mother's thick head hair.

kanaka
August 10th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I get my long, silky, fine and straight hair from my dad. my mom's is curly.

Mirsha
August 10th, 2011, 08:56 AM
My parents both have the same type of hair, straight and fine/normal-ish. It's also a co-in-ki-dink they both have the same haircolor.

My sister seems to be the odd one out with her red hair and waves..

monsterna
August 10th, 2011, 08:56 AM
I got my dad's hair I think. His cowlicks and his "horns." THANKS DAD :mad:. His is a bit wavy, too, and I THINK my mom's was when hers was longer, but she styled it so much I don't know, haha.

I just want to say your dad looks freakin' awesome in that picture. :D

racrane
August 10th, 2011, 08:59 AM
My big hair is from my mom's side of the family, but not as "big" as my mom and her sisters. They have 80's hair. Anyway, I like that even though my hair is fine, there is lots of it.

Xandergrammy
August 10th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Most of my hair genes I get from my mother's side- thick, wavy. Unfortunately for me, since I can't wait to go totally white, I did NOT get my mom and grandmom's white-by-30 gene. I got my maternal grandfather's gene (he passed away at the age of 89 with a full head of salt and pepper hair). I do think however that I got a tiny bit of my paternal grandmother in me in that I have one side of my head that is grayer than the other. :gabigrin:

I'm guessing that I got my cowlicks from my mom- her hair was very wurly and unruly. I've hated the cowlicks all my life but am now becoming quite fond of the one in the middle of my forehead- it's the spot that started turning gray first and is where my "skunkie" originated. :thumbsup:

pepperminttea
August 10th, 2011, 09:08 AM
My hair's thickness is from my father, the fine-ish texture and short "kiss curls" around my hairline are from my mother, and the trying-to-wavy-but-mostly-failing is from both of them. :) My eldest brother has the exact same hair, but he keeps it short. I feel sure he complains about the tangly nature of our thick/fine combination more than I do. :p

Lady Malys
August 10th, 2011, 09:12 AM
My hair is a mirror of my mother's - thin, fine, stringy, with an inconsistent wave. Hers is now thinning pretty badly, so I am going to do everything I can do to prevent that. My son's hair is like mine only in color (mousy brown), but my poor daughter has my fine hair (but hers is a gorgeous, sleek black).

Medusa
August 10th, 2011, 09:21 AM
My hair is prematurely grey, dark, dark brown/soft black, somewhat coarse, and very wavy with ringlets here and there - most of these traits seem to be my dad's. Premature grey runs on both sides - dad's dad was completely white at 50, my mom was almost completely white at 55 - so I didn't have a chance there. I think color/coarseness comes from my Cherokee grandmother (dad's mom). Waves seem to run on both sides of the family, but my dad's sisters have wavier hair than my mom's side.

cheetahfast
August 10th, 2011, 09:23 AM
As a kid I was always jealous of my mother's hair texture, I did have blonde hair like her, but now it's more of a dark blond, light brown. Her's has a slight wave and she didn't know how to tame my curls. I would run away from her since she would try to brush my knotted curly hair.

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i360/cheetahfast/11113.jpg

]I just want to say your dad looks freakin' awesome in that picture. :D

Thanks! He talks about his "afro days" as if he were the coolest guy around.

fortymiletown
August 10th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I got my curly hair from my nan who had Brian May style hair

archel
August 10th, 2011, 09:28 AM
All from my dad. Brown/black, fine but thick. My mother was a red head with SUPER thick and coarse hair - I'd love to have that color, but I'm happy with my texture.

jujube
August 10th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Both my mom and my dad actually have similar textures and wave patterns. I know I got my color from my mom, though,but my hair is finer and thinner than hers so that might be my dad's side.

kitschy
August 10th, 2011, 09:41 AM
From my dad.
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/35469_1332437959540_1488766783_30844521_6088909_n. jpg

lizdini
August 10th, 2011, 11:19 AM
No idea. My sister and I have the same hair; medium brown wavy/curly and fairly thick. My dad had straight black hair and my mom has straight thin light brown hair. I'm told the color is similar to what my grandma had before she went gray. But as far as texture it's a mystery!

Othala
August 10th, 2011, 11:21 AM
I get my hair from Lucifer, our horse. His tail and my hair are identical.

Silverdragn7385
August 10th, 2011, 11:26 AM
I get my color and thickness from my mom, and the straightness from my dad. :)

obsessed
August 10th, 2011, 12:23 PM
thank god i got mine from my mother!!, it's thick, blond and fast growing

my father on the other hand has extreeeemely thin and fragile hair

MissManda
August 10th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I got my dark hair color from my dad, who is about a shade darker than me. My straightish, fine-ish texture comes from my mom. I don't know where the thickness came from, though, since nobody else in my family has thick hair.

stefalupagus
August 10th, 2011, 12:50 PM
I get my color from my mom-- very dark brown with lots of red in it. Her hair is curly (maybe a 3a?) and far coarser than my fine, vaguely wavy locks. My texture is more like my dad's, but my hair is a lot thicker than his, especially now he's creeping up on 45 and is losing it fairly rapidly. :D

Lollipop
August 10th, 2011, 12:54 PM
I am not sure about thickness and texture, but the curls are definitely my dad's. He was born in the early 60s, and he even had a 'fro while he was a student (3a/b-ish). My mom has very straight hair, on the other hand. I think she's a 1a, along with both my grandmothers and my oldest sister.

Aveyronnaise
August 10th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Wondering where I get my hair texture has been driving me bonkers lately. Both of my parents had thick hair , so yeah I can get that.
But both of them had really curly hair . My dad had 3a and my mom had about 2c very ringlet hair . Me I have barely 2a I have been thinking it really should be 1c it seems to have been getting straighter lately ?
I wonder if I got some ancestors hair?

Cirafly24
August 10th, 2011, 01:45 PM
A combination of both of my parents, I think. I got my fine texture and oily scalp from my dad, and I probably got my waves from my mom, although she has curly hair. No one in my family has the same hair color as me. My sister is the closest, but hers is darker and curlier.

ingvild
August 10th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Well... my little brother got my dad's blonde, medium-ish, thick hair, and my older brother got my mothers cat-fur hair (he got waves, though, lucky!). My hair is coarser than my dad's, and a golden brown (naturally). I don't know where it's from....probably my dad's side.

One of my cousins has bright orange hair. Now THAT was random. :-P

Loreley
August 10th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Fortunately I got mine from my dad. Tons of hair, thick strands, very dark brown, wavy/curly. My mom has medium brown, very fine, thin, stick straight hair.
My sister has dark blonde, slightly wavy hair, with medium thickness. So her hair is the mixture of our parents', except the colour.

AlleyKitten
August 10th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I could have sworn I'd posted in this thread already, but I can't find it.

I get my color from my father's mother, who had red red hair, and had several blond kids. My father had red in his beard before it started going white, and my brother has reddish brown hair and fairly red facial hair. I think I get my texture from my mother, however. She only had long hair in the seventies, so I don't know if it was straight naturally, or if she was treating it, but we have pretty similar fine hair strands, and hers grew pretty fast and solidly. Good news for my hair goals!

anodyne_ame
August 10th, 2011, 03:46 PM
My hair's an exact replica of my mother's. Down to every last detail, it's uncanny. She used to have long hair when she was my age, sadly she keeps it short now :/

heidimarie
August 10th, 2011, 04:22 PM
a bit of both... I got my color from my dad but my cousin and I have the same wave and thickness and she is from my moms side but my mom is blonde and her hair is really thin

headtrip_honey
August 10th, 2011, 06:10 PM
I got my dad's hair color (medium to dark brown), but my mom's hair texture.

Baby fine with a little wave to it. We even have the same wave in the same areas. At the back of our heads, below the crown, we both get ridiculous waves (in her case it's almost curly).

I also got my mom's propensity to golden and red highlights when I get sun. Her hair used to turn honey gold in the summer (light brown the rest of the year)...I just get odd streaks of blond, heh.

bluequeequeg
August 10th, 2011, 06:19 PM
My mother tells me I have her hair, but I think hers has always been thicker and a bit more wiry than mine (who knows, maybe it changed and hers was a lot more like mine when she was younger). Just so long as I don't have either grandmother's hair -- I remember my maternal grandmother had only wisps of white hair before she got ill, and my paternal grandmother's hair has thinned noticeably with age.

Keller1128
August 10th, 2011, 06:48 PM
I got my red hair from my mom and my cowlick from my dad. A sarcastic thanks to dad but a real one to my mom :)

CurlAhead
August 10th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Both, my mom AND my dad had supercurly hair, so.... It was obvious for me to get it as well :( And everyone on my dad's side has curly hair. I don't know that much about my mom's side, but I think they had curly hair too....Curls for everyone, eh? :D

TheLurkingToad
August 10th, 2011, 08:34 PM
My mom says I got my grandfather's hair. He was known for having a nice head of hair so I'm not complaining. I am mostly thrilled with the fact that he never went bald.

AnnaJamila
August 10th, 2011, 09:00 PM
I got my texture from my dad but the color was a combo of both parents.

PixxieStix
August 10th, 2011, 09:01 PM
I got the natural medium auburn/red hair from both sides of the family, my younger brother got thick medium brown hair with natural highlights, and my baby brother got the bright red/orange super thick, stick straight hair. My dad's hair is fine/medium, and dark blonde naturally and has a red toned beard. Unfortunately, I've never seen my mother's natural hair color, or what her hair looks like healthy because she has chemically dyed, blowfried and curled/straightened her hair my entire life. My moms mom has fairly thick brown hair though that she keeps fairly short, and my dad's sisters have anything from super fine bright blonde hair to thick, bright red wavy/curly hair. Lol, so short of the story is I am not really sure, but it turned out all right for me. :)

CariadA
August 10th, 2011, 09:59 PM
I have no idea.

My mother has my hair color, but she is 3c /M/C/ iii. I am 1c/ F/ 1/ii. Both of her parents had curly, thick hair. My father's side are all 3a/3b/3c, too.

My brothers and I all have straight hair.

I had a biology teacher in high school who claimed that children always get a mixture of their parents' hair textures. We were studying genetics, and she claimed that one would have curly hair if both of his/her parents had curly hair, wavy hair if one parent were curly and the other straight, and straight if both parent had straight hair. I think much of the information she gave us about most subjects was incorrect.

Aurielle
August 10th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Well, I don't have black or red hair, so I'm not certain where my hair color came from. My grandmother insists that I remind her of her mother-in-law. I never met my great grandmother, but I've heard tales of the hair she would never cut and how to her death she had people to help her with detangling so she could keep it. I have a photograph of her wearing a braid crown. It's in black-and-white, so I can't tell what color her hair was exactly, just that it's something dark and had a few streaks of gray or white at the photo date.

VitaR86
August 10th, 2011, 10:57 PM
My Mother has 1a and my dad has 3b/3c hair. Mine is right in the middle. As far as color, I take after my mom with the dark brown hair.

AshleyTheRed
August 10th, 2011, 11:11 PM
I get my hair color from my dad's mother aka Granny Jill. She is the only person in my family with reddish hair. Although her hair was much lighter than mine and is now white. Although my mom had auburn hair when she was a baby.
I get the thickness from my dad and mom they both have very thick hair.
I get the oillyness from my mom and grandpa (her father). Ugh it gets very greasy.
I get the wavyness from my moms mother.

My mom has 1a- 1b Course iii hair. It is a chesnut brown
My dad has about 2a ii M/C hair. He has very dark brown almost black hair.

katsrevenge
August 11th, 2011, 12:24 AM
My father's side. The hair on my mum's side is straight and semi-thick to thin.

And then there is me. Thick, comb-eating and not behaved hairs.

The color was all my mum though. She was born blonde, I was white-blonde. We both darkened up to an ashy brown by 10ish though.

Safira
August 11th, 2011, 12:51 AM
From my grandfather, moms side. He had curly, dark brown hair.

Neneka
August 11th, 2011, 03:21 AM
I got it from my father. His hair just turned black (from dark blonde!) when he was a teenager. Mine didn't change colour.

Xandergrammy
August 11th, 2011, 05:35 AM
Well, I don't have black or red hair, so I'm not certain where my hair color came from. My grandmother insists that I remind her of her mother-in-law. I never met my great grandmother, but I've heard tales of the hair she would never cut and how to her death she had people to help her with detangling so she could keep it. I have a photograph of her wearing a braid crown. It's in black-and-white, so I can't tell what color her hair was exactly, just that it's something dark and had a few streaks of gray or white at the photo date.

I'd love to see this photograph! :flowers:

freckles
August 11th, 2011, 06:52 AM
My dad's side are all redheads. My mum had dark brown hair. My hair is somewhere between ... mostly looking reddish brown, but nothing you would call firmly 'red', but blazing red in direct sunlight/camera flash.

My texture must be from my mum I guess. My dad has coarser (but not particularly coarse) hair, and when it was long he had that hair that naturally looks like a drop perm or a celebrity blowout ... straight until APL, then very very loose but obvious curls to BSL. Unfortunately I didn't inherit that! I suppose my fine straightness must be from my mum, but she always kept her hair short so I'm not totally sure.

The real mystery is my little sister. Somehow, from a family where one side uniformly have brown hair and one side almost uniformly have red (a couple brunettes, maybe), she has beautiful honey blonde hair!

UP Lisa
August 11th, 2011, 07:25 AM
I get my waves from my Dad's side. My baby fine stuff from my Mom.:eek:

dRummie
August 11th, 2011, 08:49 AM
My hair colour is pretty typical for my family and Russians in general, so that could have come from anyone.

My late-blooming wurls, on the other hand... I had one curly grandmother, whose hair didn't start curling until she was around 20, and one wavy great-grandfather. So it was one or both of them, everybody else is straight :)

xovictoryxo
August 11th, 2011, 08:52 AM
My father, big time.
My mom had beautiful beautiful healthy shiny thick black hair, one strand could probably pick up a truck.
My dad has very thin light wavy brown hair. When he was a child he was blonde, it darkened over the years. actually he was balding in his 40s.

Charybdis
August 12th, 2011, 03:10 PM
My parents both had thick black hair when young. My mother's was and is curly (probably 3a), and my father's was wurly (2c / 3a). However, my father began losing his hair in college and has been basically a chrome dome as long as I've known him. (Fortunately, bald suits him.) Now that she's in her 70s, my mother complains that her hair is thin, but I keep telling her that's just because she has a normal amount now whereas it used to be super-thick.

My sister and I both have thick brown wurly hair - mine is dark and hers is a bit lighter. Hers is also a bit curlier than mine (probably 2b/2c). Recessive genes in action! My hair's a bit thinner now than it used to be, but I'm still at the upper end of ii, and may be in iii territory once all my layers grow out.

My aunt and cousins all have super-thick hair, and one of them is curly. My aunt was naturally auburn as a young woman, and the curly cousin is a natural blonde.

nobeltonya
August 12th, 2011, 03:28 PM
The color is a mixture of my mom's and my dad's.. my mom had dark brown/chestnut-colored hair, before she had 3 kids... then, she started getting gray. My dad's hair is red, which is where I got my red highlights. Not sure where the few blonde-ish pieces are from.. no idea about the texture or the waviness. Maybe my mom?

Raekwon
August 12th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Got it from my mom. She envies my hair for its length and thickness though. If she would stop straightening, coloring, and cutting her hair, she wouldn't need to act like that.

Quixii
August 12th, 2011, 03:43 PM
I also get my curl from my father. He has an afro-like style naturally, and has been called Einstein now that it's white by strangers before. :D

My mum has long, wavy hair - maybe 1c. So I get my inspiration for length (mine's actually longer now) from her, and my curl from my dad. :)

Arashi
August 12th, 2011, 04:31 PM
I have no idea, honestly. My mom has naturally dark brown, curly hair, and her mother had red hair( that turned brown with age instead of gray) and her father had black hair. My dad(before it turned gray) had straight medium brown hair, his mother curly lighter brown and I think his father had dark hair.

My hair is naturally golden blond and something between straight and wavy. :shrug:

teal
August 12th, 2011, 06:55 PM
My hair's an exact replica of my mother's. Down to every last detail, it's uncanny.

This!! But I have to admit, it's hard to know if I got any of my dad's hair attributes... he's lost most of it by now and what he does have is grey/white and firmly combed into a specific shape. Old pictures are hard to come by and not very clear. He did have a fantastic handlebar mustache and mutton chops back in the day, though!

missmaggieeliza
August 12th, 2011, 07:38 PM
I think the curls I USED to have were from my Dad. The gray from both Mom and Dad. Mom had gray hair early but was a blond so the change from blond to gray was not as dramatic as my change from red to gray. No idea at all where my red hair came from. My hair is pretty straight now with just slight waves. After some cancer meds I had to take my hair straightened out. :^(

spidergoat
August 17th, 2011, 01:36 PM
I have my mom's cowlicks and waves, and my dad's brown color. First kid in my mom's family to not have red hair!

Impulsive
August 17th, 2011, 10:16 PM
I get my dark brown curly hair from both sides of the family. Although, I'm not sure who gave me the premature grays. Almost everyone born into my family has dark brown curly hair. The only two exceptions are my cousins who have red hair despite both parents having brown hair... how exactly does that happen?

MemoryXIII
August 17th, 2011, 10:26 PM
My mother. For sure! http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/231174_102041243220318_100002433271646_17317_40174 98_n.jpg

xoerincolleen
August 17th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Thickness from momma, color from dad. Premature grays from both parentals.