PDA

View Full Version : heavy hair headaches

Misty'sMess
August 10th, 2011, 02:25 AM
As my hair gets longer (it's now waist length) I seem to be getting more headaches because it is so heavy. I was wondering if any one else has this problem and how you solve/cope. Tips on up-dos that spread the hair constantly across the back of my hair might help.

And, as it gets longer, my hair seems to tangle itself. I will be combing one half and the other half I have just combed with be tangling already. I don't if it is because of my length, or my hair texture.

Thanks for your advice :)

Sundial
August 10th, 2011, 03:40 AM
I have similar problems too. My neck and shoulders ache when I put my hair up, and it feels worse when I pile up wet hair during deep treatments.

Madora gave a very useful tip on how to handle too much hair - she said to work in sections when combing (so the method of combing you described seems right), and to section the hair before bunning it up. This helps to distribute the weight. An example of an updo which uses sectioning is the vortex bun (check YouTube for instructional videos).

AshleyTheRed
August 10th, 2011, 03:52 AM
Okay I had this problem when I had very long hair as a child. If it became to much of a problem I would get my hair thinned a bit. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to do that.. SO

Braids braids braids. Braids that go over my shoulder are what I use if I have a headache, my hair rests on my ....ahem mountains, and it help take the pressure off my neck. A bun on the side of my head or off center helps occasionally.
Certain updo's are much easier. I'm sure Madora or another will be along soon to share videos and such. Good luck!

Madora
August 10th, 2011, 08:27 AM
As my hair gets longer (it's now waist length) I seem to be getting more headaches because it is so heavy. I was wondering if any one else has this problem and how you solve/cope. Tips on up-dos that spread the hair constantly across the back of my hair might help.

And, as it gets longer, my hair seems to tangle itself. I will be combing one half and the other half I have just combed with be tangling already. I don't if it is because of my length, or my hair texture.

Thanks for your advice :)

@Misty'sMess...

The secret to wearing thick or long hair comfortably is to section it.

The tangle issue boils down to being extra vigilant when handling your hair when styling.

If you're braiding or bunning, it is imperative that each time you do a cross over, or a twist, that your strands are always kept separate after each movement. Usually that means opening your fingers and then gently "raking" down the strands - slowly - until all the strands that are stuck together are free and flowing.

If you take a peek in my hair album, most of my bun styles are versions of the double section technique. Here's how:

1) Detangle all hair thoroughly with a wide tooth comb

2) Make a horizontal part from the top of your right ear over to the top of your left ear.

3) Take all the hair ABOVE the part and braid it. Fasten with a hair friendly elastic.

4) Coil the braid on your head, pinning with large crimped hairpins, in the 4 directions (north/south/east/west). Note: Don't just stick in the hairpin! Instead, insert the hairpin in the outtermost part of the braid edge, then catch a slight bit of the scalp hair underneath the braid, then WEAVE the hairpin in a sewing motion thru the braid toward the center.

5) Take the remaining hair, detangle thoroughly, then braid it and fasten off. Bring that braid up and around the braid already in place, pinning as you go. Voila..2 sectioned braided bun.

You can also use this technique for 2 sectioned cinnamon twist bun, 2 strand twisted bun, etc. Works well with 3 sections too.

Special note...To bring the hair closer to the bun already in place (#5 above), bend at the waist (head down) and braid as closely to the bun as possible. It's a lot easier braiding this way, working with gravity, than it is to braid standing erect.

If you have any questions, just drop me a line!

PS Be sure that when styling that your front hair is slightly loose and not pulled back tightly.

Theoretically, for comfortable styles, you should be able to slip at least one finger under where the topmost braid begins.