PDA

View Full Version : professional styles for fine hair

lastnite
August 9th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I'm currently job hunting; and in the meantime trying to practice some hairstyles for job interviews. I'm also looking into taking some type of nursing/medical assistant classes this fall, and wondering what styles would be acceptable for that. With the nursing, I'm thinking hairsticks might be a no-no since they are pointy?

My hair is a bit past my waist, almost tailbone (or around hip length) and fine. It's also hennaed, and I'm not sure if the reddish tone will be an issue, hopefully not since I can't do much about the henna now and don't plan to stop using it just yet. The color doesn't look totally unnatural, but under certain lights it'll look really red.

My everyday style is just a simple twisted up bun held with 1 hairstick, doesn't really look that neat or professional. :o Since my hair is fine, my braids look wimpy and thin, which I think won't look too professional either. The length makes it a bit hard to do a neat looking french twist (although I'm still practicing).

I'm basically really style challenged... any tips?

kidari
August 9th, 2011, 10:29 PM
How about a sock bun worn low, like a chignon?

MissManda
August 9th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Yes, I think sock buns look really nice. If you have trouble or don't like sock buns, you could try the style in my avatar. Since it's made up of pin rolls, it makes your bun bigger. You can find a video tutorial for it here (http://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2010/09/03/my-first-video-tutorial/).

If you don't like the way your braid looks, you could try a tucked French braid that way you can still have an intricate braided look while the tail end is tucked safely away. You can use hair pins, a Flexi-8, or a beak clip to secure it.

That's all I can think of for right now. I hope that was helpful and that you are able to find some styles that suit your needs.

lastnite
August 10th, 2011, 10:19 AM
thanks, those are helpful!

Rivanariko
August 10th, 2011, 10:58 AM
I do a celtic knot bun for everyday and professional use. For everyday, I twist it up quickly and shove the ends under haphazardly, just so they don't tickle my neck. I can do it tighter and neater if I want a more professional look, though, and secure the ends with a pin. It stays all day like a rock for me and my hair is very fine.

Braided buns are another that are very secure and can look very professional. You can secure them with a hair stick or with pins if you're worried about whether the stick would be allowed. Even if your braid is "wimpy" because of your fine hair, it isn't really noticeable when you twist it up in a bun.

A lot of hairstick buns can also be secured with a Ficarre I believe, though I've never used one. They don't have any pointy ends.

archel
August 10th, 2011, 12:10 PM
When I was a medical assistant, my hair was to my waist. I wore it up every day, but never with sticks. You don't want long hair in your way if you have to transfer a patient in or out of a bed, for example, but you also don't want poky sticks on your head. (Heck, my ex-husband used to joke that he loved my hair "for the stab wounds.") I wore most often a cinnabun or a braided bun secured with spin pins. I'd bun it slightly damp and it would hold like a beast all day, no matter how much I ran around. Since it was up, it looked professional and I also got to show off my earrings. :)

Guenhwyvar
August 10th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Braid buns with spin pins would probably hold best.

Also why not add a bit of indigo to the henna to get a more natural red-brown if you are concerned about the colour? Just a bit should take the edge off if you still want it red.

Konstifik
August 10th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I find nautilus bun held by a flexi-8 is a great daily style, and usually lasts all day. Depending on the flexi-8, you can be all from "discreet" to a little bit fancy and elegant. :)

Madora
August 10th, 2011, 12:36 PM
@lastnite...

Here's a link to a very simple, easy to do Chinese Braided bun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrJYzX4cbXU

Torrin Paige has a channel on You Tube that features many lovely ways to wear your hair.

cubedcoley
August 10th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I am a nurse in a emergency department. I also have fine hair, but it feels like I have a lot of it. In the past few months, my hair finally got long enough to do a lazy wrap bun secured with a small ketylo hairstick. I also wore a hair fork, though I am just now growing into that one. Anyway, they both held like a rock and I did not have problems wearing these items to work... We need more nurses to have fun in school and study hard!

jojo
August 10th, 2011, 11:07 PM
I too have fine hair but mine is thick. I am a RN and wear hair sticks all the time, normally a number 8 bun.