PDA

View Full Version : Itchy, sore, flakey, gross scalp.

LoversLullaby
August 9th, 2011, 08:36 PM
I'm looking for suggestions for my scalp. I get teensy little flakes, about the size of grains of sand, scattered all over the front part of my scalp. When I scratch my scalp, I get a gunky, yellowy substance underneath my nail, no matter whether I've just washed or not. The top part of my scalp is very very sore. Also my entire scalp is EXTREMELY itchy all the time, it's pretty unbearable. I'm at a loss for what to do for it, because I'm not exactly sure what it is.

I've tried vinegar rinses, washing more frequently, and scritching. I've also clarified many times. None of these help with the flakes or the gunk on my scalp. Vinegar rinses only help the itchies and soreness for a few hours after washing. Washing frequently again only works for a few hours after washing, plus dry out my hair an insane amount. I get relief from scritching only for about 20 minutes. What else can I try?

Thank you everyone! :cheese:

Madora
August 9th, 2011, 09:14 PM
It sounds like too much washing is washing out the natural sebum.

If your condition continues, make an appointment with a trichologist (hair doctor) and see if a change in diet..or hair products might bring relief.

Good luck!

Sundial
August 9th, 2011, 09:33 PM
I strongly agree with Madora. It's likely to be some kind of skin condition arising from sensitivity to food or products or health condition. Do seek a professional medical opinion on it. I was in a similar situation and I found out that it was a case of eczema after I consulted a dermatologist.

SlightlySoprano
August 9th, 2011, 09:33 PM
I'm looking for suggestions for my scalp. I get teensy little flakes, about the size of grains of sand, scattered all over the front part of my scalp. When I scratch my scalp, I get a gunky, yellowy substance underneath my nail, no matter whether I've just washed or not. The top part of my scalp is very very sore. Also my entire scalp is EXTREMELY itchy all the time, it's pretty unbearable. I'm at a loss for what to do for it, because I'm not exactly sure what it is.

I've tried vinegar rinses, washing more frequently, and scritching. I've also clarified many times. None of these help with the flakes or the gunk on my scalp. Vinegar rinses only help the itchies and soreness for a few hours after washing. Washing frequently again only works for a few hours after washing, plus dry out my hair an insane amount. I get relief from scritching only for about 20 minutes. What else can I try?

Thank you everyone! :cheese:

Sounds like what I have, Seborrheic Dermatitis. Check with your dermatologist ASAP

katsrevenge
August 9th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Sounds like what I have, Seborrheic Dermatitis. Check with your dermatologist ASAP

I agree. Check with your doc... but in most cases it is easy to control. Mine I keep in check partly by vinigar rinses and partly by sitting in the sunblight for 15-20 minutes exposing my scalp parts that get all itchy. Both of these things were doc suggested for me though.

pixiedust
August 9th, 2011, 09:44 PM
I had a similar issue arise, though thankfully its cleared up. I would also reccommend that you see a doctor, but otherwise perhaps try monistat overnight if you think it might be fungal. I also like using tea tree/peppermint based shampoos such as giovannis tea tree triple treat or millcreek biotin shampoo (I love this stuff, makes my hair very shiny too) good luck !

Eire
August 9th, 2011, 09:44 PM
I notice you say in your hair care routine that you braid your hair then sleep overnight after washing. Is your hair soaking wet when you braid it? I used to get flakes and itches when I went to sleep with wet braided hair. What I found helps is, after a shower, towel dry hair and let it air dry for about 45 mins. Then spritz the length with some water in a spray bottle to redampen it (but not the roots). If the hair on your scalp is more than slightly damp when you go to sleep, it'll irritate the skin.

danacc
August 9th, 2011, 11:24 PM
You need to see a doctor. Your symptoms sound severe enough that you really shouldn't be experimenting at this point. Go find out what is wrong; get a diagnosis and some treatment options.

sycamoreboutiqu
August 9th, 2011, 11:59 PM
I have had the same issue for years to varying degrees. Same pattern, dry and little flakes near the hairline and worse further back.

Sometimes it is flaky and dry, sometimes gunky and scabby. Sometimes it is worse right after shampooing (which is bizzare in itself) and then better after a good scritch (and combing) and left several days without shampooing which would suggest shampooing is an aggravating activity.

Is there really any cure for SD other than medicated shampoos ? I used to get relief from Head & Shoulders Extra (or Ultra or whatever it was) but not always. Haven't used it in a year or two now.

I have mainly switched to CO washes, but even with that I sometimes get even worse episodes leading me to assume it is an ingredient found in the conditioner that is causing the trouble.

I will have to say that my scalp seems to fare the best when I have done a Coconut Oil shampoo using a super mild shampoo or just Castille liquid soap. I do one part oil to 3 parts shampoo and the results are very good for the scalp and length.

I have worked my way up to 5-6 days between shampoos, sometimes even at the 7 day mark I have no oiliness or flakes. That is a good week !

Interestingly I have no skin issues anywhere else - though I used to get mild Eczema patches before I began making Shea butter body products.

I haven't had a patch in years so I know it works - but getting shea down onto the scalp and then getting it washed out again is too difficult to even attempt. I might try it on some isolated patches sometime and see what happens.

Jimothea
August 10th, 2011, 12:37 AM
I agree it at least sounds like seb. dermatitis, LoversLullaby; of course there's no way of knowing without a trip to the dermatologist.:confused: Here's the link for the seb. derm. thread: http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54045

If it is that, stress, diet, and hair product ingredients seem to be major culprits. Sugars (for eating, not for SMT's or anything) are my scalp's enemy :(. I feel your pain! --Or rather, your itching...

Hope you find something that helps.

Neneka
August 10th, 2011, 03:33 AM
I had something similar. Then I bought some anti fungal shampoo and now my scalp is fine. I agree with others who said that you should see a doctor and find out what it is.

HintOfMint
August 10th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Aside from the soreness, I had the exact same thing. Head and Shoulders worked perfectly for me. It got rid of the flakes and the yellow gunk and I can actually avoid washing my hair for 4 days now. I only had to use it once or twice to see some relief so it's worth a shot. Good luck!

sweet*things
August 10th, 2011, 12:26 PM
When I went no-cones/no-sulfates for 6+ months my scalp eventually got non-stop, insanely itchy, with sore patches and lots of build-up. Try one or two washes with a sulphate-containing shampoo. If non-sulphate shampoo is the culprit, the relief should be pretty much instantaneous. I had to go back to sulfates. Alternating sulphate/non-sulphate shampoos seemed to work too.

Sanyia
August 11th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Maybe try some Nizoral? A small bottle is expensive but I had something similar a couple of years ago and 3 washes over a week fixed my problem. The bottle is still almost full.

MissHair
August 11th, 2011, 08:20 PM
LoversLullaby, Ive got the exact same problem!!!!!!!! Only, I get this from washing too rarely. If I go 3 days without washing my scalp starts to get itchy and flaky and then I get sores and scabs from picking and scratching.