PDA

View Full Version : Mulivitamins or hair & nails vitamins?

princess03
August 9th, 2011, 08:34 PM
My hair has been shedding a bit more than usual but I'm not too concerned for my hair because I have tons... its more my eyelashes

I have naturally thick and long eyelashes and was curling them after mascara but I use Covergirl lash blast and when its fully dry the eyelashes don't stick to the curler... either way I stopped because it's still bad

now I'm just using one or two coats of mascara and no curling since they curve on their own I just liked the more dramatic look ala Mega Fox.

So would you take a multivitamin or is a vitamin targeted at hair and nails more suitable? (I'm worried if it's bad targeting when I don't know what and if I'm deficient)

dragonchickx
August 9th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Great question!! Ive used the over the counter Hair, Skin and nail vitamins but you HAVE to take them regularly like two or three times a day everyday for two week before you start noticing a difference. Also I quick taking the HSN vitamins because I felt it made me shed more hair (weird I know) so I went back to taking the One a day womens TEEN vitamins theyre the pink kind. I noticed my nails are very long and hair and I see LOTS (I mean fly aways like crazys its been about two months of taking these) of new growths. The thing I like about the Teen vitamins is that it has more biotin and things for hair growths than regular womens one a days... good luck!

Sookie
August 10th, 2011, 01:27 AM
I believe that those vitamins are the same. Just go to a drugstore and take some multivitamins the body needs everyday...as for your eyelashes use castor oil every night before going for sleep. Limit the coats of mascara to one in my opinion and don't use it everyday....i used to do that and i ended up with no eyelashes

Mesmerise
August 10th, 2011, 01:59 AM
Actually you should NOT use castor oil on your eyelashes :bigeyes:. I was using it for awhile like mascara until I read about the dangers of it. (I think it was Ultrabella who posted it on another thread?!).

Avital88
August 10th, 2011, 02:02 AM
multivitamins are always good to take, so i would just take those and maybe some extra vit B

christine1989
August 10th, 2011, 02:10 AM
Biotin works well for me. Unfortunatly it makes my eyebrows grow more too so I do lots of plucking. One thing I discovered by accident that makes my lashes grow is putting lotion on them- Aveeno positivly radiant SPF 15 to be exact. I don't know why it makes them grow but it does- so much so that I'm having to trim them now :rolleyes:. I also hear that people have had good results with almond oil or vaseline both of which are safer than castor oil.

Sookie
August 10th, 2011, 02:34 AM
:O Can someone show me the post? I wanna read about the danger you said about castor oil

Tigrestar
August 10th, 2011, 03:17 AM
Has anyone tried Hair Formula 37? I've seen great reviews, but I am still skeptical. My hair is dry and damages from over colouring so I need a boost!

LouLaLa
August 10th, 2011, 03:36 AM
I have read and also noticed first hand that if you rub a little vasaline along your lash line each night and morning. It conditions and seems to make them fall out less. I read it in some magazine ages ago.

I wouldnt advise putting castor oil near your eyes till youve tried other less risky avenues.

Eyelashes are nice but vision is better!

Ligeia_13
August 10th, 2011, 03:40 AM
:O Can someone show me the post? I wanna read about the danger you said about castor oil

I would also like to see this post, if its available :/

alyanna
August 10th, 2011, 03:49 AM
I recently visited my dermatologist who told me to quit my multi-vitamin and to only take a hair and nail vitamin. Honestly, I feel like I'm getting better results this way, even though it has only been a month or so. I am also taking Iron.

princess03
August 19th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Thanks everyone!

I will be buying a multivitamin from GNC my mom takes and we'll see how that goes :)

KatiSasha
August 19th, 2011, 04:27 PM
I've had fantastic success with prenatal vitamins from NOW brand. They have a bit extra biotin and folic acid. My hair has been getting a lot thicker and growing at about an inch+/month.

Just an observation, OP, you should always curl your lashes before applying mascara if you choose to curl them at all. Mascara is what helps to hold the curl, much like hairspray.

Cassie 123
August 19th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Here's the thread with the castor oil info (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=27847&highlight=lash&page=2). I virtually sprinted to Google this because I had been intending to try it myself.

ETA: oops, I mean this is the thread where Ultrabella gives the bad news about castor oil. Complete with scary pictures.

McFearless
August 19th, 2011, 06:44 PM
I'd go with the hair and nail vitamins. Still try to eat a healthy, balanced diet instead of a multivitamin. The results will be much better.

vanillabones
August 19th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Uh oh... I do the same to my lashes. Mine are thick long and full unlike my hair ever will be... I curl and apply multiple coats of lash blast and reapply and recurl throughout the day... mine don't even fall out. This thread is making me rethink it though... I must be abusing them. I curl, apply mascara which makes the curl fall down a lot more, so I recurl once the mascara dries. I even have a habit of using the waterproof and just recurling and applying for days so that it doesn't wash out in the shower and I am just constantly readding more *cry* haha.

I recommend curling once, then applying bare escentuals mascara. It is the best I have ever used. I am stingy and rarely do this though because it is expensive mascara. The best though! Look up the reviews ;)

Also, I take a hair, skin & nails and a multivitamin. I don't think I'll repurchase the hair skin and nails again because I go through them like candy and they are expensive. I have seen a huge difference in my nails and hair though. I grew my nails out for the first time... in my life I believe. :) I also take MSM to help my hair grows faster. I like silica the best.

ETA: PS, I have tried prenatal multivitamins, didn't find a big difference between that and my up&up brands multivitamins from Target.

princess03
August 19th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Uh oh... I do the same to my lashes. Mine are thick long and full unlike my hair ever will be... I curl and apply multiple coats of lash blast and reapply and recurl throughout the day... mine don't even fall out. This thread is making me rethink it though... I must be abusing them. I curl, apply mascara which makes the curl fall down a lot more, so I recurl once the mascara dries. I even have a habit of using the waterproof and just recurling and applying for days so that it doesn't wash out in the shower and I am just constantly readding more *cry* haha.

I recommend curling once, then applying bare escentuals mascara. It is the best I have ever used. I am stingy and rarely do this though because it is expensive mascara. The best though! Look up the reviews ;)

Also, I take a hair, skin & nails and a multivitamin. I don't think I'll repurchase the hair skin and nails again because I go through them like candy and they are expensive. I have seen a huge difference in my nails and hair though. I grew my nails out for the first time... in my life I believe. :) I also take MSM to help my hair grows faster. I like silica the best.

ETA: PS, I have tried prenatal multivitamins, didn't find a big difference between that and my up&up brands multivitamins from Target.

waterproof is really harsh on my lashes. when I was your age they were still looking as long and thick as before I sarted using mascara and now 3 yrs later they are still long but not as full as before (mind you I still get complimented, last week I was in nails salon and a woman next to me said playfully something like "girl watch out with those eyelashes you can fly lol)

what really hurt them was when I'd sleep with mascara on and using waterproof because its hard to wash off and they'd fall

Now I stick to Lash Blast because it comes off easily and dries very well no flaking and if I curl after it doesn;t stick to curler...but the downside is that if I curl first and then apply mascara they uncurl :(

princess03
August 19th, 2011, 07:17 PM
I'd go with the hair and nail vitamins. Still try to eat a healthy, balanced diet instead of a multivitamin. The results will be much better.

Thanks, I'm trying to start eating healthier now I really got no choice I gained like 10 pounds over the summer instead of staying fit ;( but I'm starting to get back on track :D

princess03
August 19th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Here's the thread with the castor oil info (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=27847&highlight=lash&page=2). I virtually sprinted to Google this because I had been intending to try it myself.

Im too scared of using castor oil I've heard alot of bad things about hurting your vision, I'm going to try and sticking to a healthier diet and start taking vitamins again... I was using women's one a day but threw them out because they seemed too fake the ones my mom takes smell like herbs or something edible unlike one a day