PDA

View Full Version : What to do about split ends?

ladonna
August 9th, 2011, 07:54 PM
I have ton's of split ends in the bottom half of my hair that go up the hair shaft about 8 inches. Should I just cut my hair all off? THat would make my hair about shoulder length. Or should I just keep using my coconut oils since it making the split ends less noticeabe and slowly trim? I have so many that if I do s&d then I would have no hair afterwards.:(

Madora
August 9th, 2011, 07:59 PM
I'd say cut at least 2 inches off but better still, try and find out WHAT is causing the split ends.

It is better to remove damaged ends so they don't split even more..but it's up to you to determine how much you want to part with. Good luck!

Lady Dragon
August 9th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Trim enough to get rid of the ones at the bottom and up your care routine to prevent the midshaft ones and any new ones.
Hopefully it's not an ongoing issue for you.

Maelyssa
August 9th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Well I tell you this, on a personal note I had a similar issue. I was at waist length but was big on using heat products which took a toll on my hair. I went to a salon for 'just a trim' & explained I was trying to grow it long. There were so many tangles from the split hairs & they looked thin & ragged that the stylist told me the best thing to do would be to cut off the damage since it was so much & start fresh & grow my hair out healthy. I was upset & hesitant but I went for it. My cut took me to shoulder length. Two years later I'm at waist again except my hair is healthy & pretty. Wouldn't have traded that experience for the world.

Now there are lots of people here who managed to grow out really damaged hair with frequent small trims & treating their hair super gentle. Check the Articles section out for info on how to do it.

In either case good luck with your choice!

ladonna
August 9th, 2011, 08:30 PM
I figured out why it's only the hair at the back/bottom, it's because I wasn't conditioning right. I was just letting my hair hang down my back in the shower, I've been clipping it up for the past week.

jacqueline101
October 2nd, 2011, 11:55 AM
I'm glad you found a solution to your dilemma. I'd hate for you to cut off all the hair you worked at growing out.

thelittlestdoc
October 2nd, 2011, 03:09 PM
I had a similar story--long hair with some damage, would have put off a cut but I decided to just take the plunge and donate the length. That was all fine and dandy, but the next time I went in for a trim I left miserable with six inches on the floor (needless to say I never went to that stylist again)! I've since cut out heat and have started to pamper my hair so it's growing out so much nicer.

So to get back to your question, you could lose the length and eventually grow it back--a lot of us have and we're not too traumatized ;)

jeanniet
October 2nd, 2011, 03:57 PM
If a good proportion of your hair is really split that far up, I would do a fairly significant trim (2-4") and then regular trims until all the damage is gone. Then examine all your habits (hair up? down? heat styling? harsh shampoo? etc.) to see where you can minimize damage. For me, damage at the back of my head usually means too much friction/rubbing somewhere, so I try to be really careful about that.

spidermom
October 2nd, 2011, 04:06 PM
I let my hair hang down in the shower. I can't imagine why that would cause more split ends. I'd be more concerned about clipping it up to tell you the truth (wet hair is very fragile; the less manipulation, the better).

Anyway, when my hair gets too many split ends, I cut them off. Sometimes I miss the length, but I never regret the cut. It's so nice not to have to fight with bad ends.

ktani
October 2nd, 2011, 04:13 PM
I'd say cut at least 2 inches off but better still, try and find out WHAT is causing the split ends.

It is better to remove damaged ends so they don't split even more..but it's up to you to determine how much you want to part with. Good luck!

I agree with this!

Split ends are caused by dryness. If you can find a hair care routine that gives your hair enough moisture, the problem should be solved.

The only other way to get them is tearing the hair, so be as gentle as you can when handling your hair.

ladonna
October 24th, 2011, 12:27 PM
I made alot of changes and my hair is curly again and only a few split ends. I no longer bun my hair when its wet, I only finger comb, stopped using "cones," and no more hair bands, no more heat styling. I also keep my hair oiled and no longer shampoo. I did highlight my hair this weekend because I don't like how dark my hair is and how pale my skin is... so now the vicious dye cycle has started again, I'm hoping my new hair trick's keep my hair from being damaged too much. I'm researching henna so I'm think I will go that route when my hair color start's to fade.
Thank you LHC!!