PDA

View Full Version : No Poo!

backwoodsbeauty
August 9th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Okay today I am officially giving up shampoo:meditate: I tried CO once before but it left my hair shiny but flat. This time I am going to use baking soda and ACV along with the CO. I just wanted to know is baking soda ok for your hair?:confused:

neko_kawaii
August 9th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Baking soda is great, but I've heard if used more than twice a week it can be very drying. I'm interested in this method too, but I also like how coconut oil makes my hair feel and I haven't been able to get it washed out well enough without CWC. Still experimenting here, good luck with yours!

Vlientje
August 9th, 2011, 06:22 PM
I've been wondering about coconut oil too, I'd love to go to CO, but I doubt it will do to get the oiliness out! :P

backwoodsbeauty
August 9th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Thanks I am hoping i can combat the dryness, but I dont think I am going to have to worry about it to much, my head is a first rate oil slick. Today I soaked my hair in EVOO (my fav oil) and suprisingly it got it out in two washes. I really hope this works...3 day gaps between hair washings sound like heaven to me!

Vlientje
August 9th, 2011, 06:29 PM
It is heaven :D

MissAlida
August 16th, 2011, 07:30 AM
I have been a no poo for almost a month now:DI love it. I wash twice a week with baking soda, and white vinegar rinse(that type is more common in stores here, and it works just fine). The night before the day I wash, I do a heavy oiling with EVOO and braid. I always sleep in an english braid . The next morning I wash it out. BS takes it out wonderfully. I do get dry hair sometimes. For those occasions, I have some diluted, very oily and coney conditioner in a spray bottle, and just spray it on my hair (it's an elseve co, with honey). Good luck with it. It s truly great in my oppinion. Worth a try.

P.S.: Is there an official No-poo thread?If not, I would gladly start one.:)

Celtic Morla
August 16th, 2011, 10:56 AM
It is heaven :D

'Sure is!! I can go 5 days! I use Dr Bronner'S Castile soap diluted way down, rinse with ACV and I usually Coconut oil my ahir the night before a wash cycle.Last week I went 9 days between washings with a heavy oil treatment and just keeping it braided and noone thought anything of my hair!

I think women used to get a lot more wear between washing because of braiding. I can see why they considered washing a task with all the long hair! I tend to wear i tbraided at work so I don;t chop it off by accidetn and its a lot cooler too!

sun-kissed
August 16th, 2011, 11:22 AM
I found BS to be even more damaging and stripping to my hair than my all-natural lavender oil shampoo was, so I gave up useing it and only dig it up when I need to clarify, then hate my hair for the next three days. Don't know what I'm doing wrong, but even heavily diluted it just makes my hair crunchy, dry, and frizzy. :ponder:

I do use ACV on a weekly basis(with a few WO between), it cleans my scalp and adds healthy shine. But I always oil or condition my length first if I am going to use anything other than water on my hair, otherwise it turns out unmanageably dry. It's my goal to not use anything aside from coconut oil on my hair, even give up the ACV. But it sure did help me through my year-long transition!

WO has been great, I finaly am starting to almost *like* my hair now; right now I haven't washed in five days, and it is just starting to look drab - while when I was a shampoo user, I couldn't skip one day without it looking like a giant oil slick.

So anywho, good luck on your new routine! I hope it works out great for you, I know I love it.

AuburnTresses
August 16th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I'm trying to go no poo as well. I realized that all of my itching on my scalp is probably because it's dry.
The only problem is my natural hair oil is more towards the oily side then the dry and when I put on ACV it ends up greasy and feeling a little gross. I'm so glad to hear that MissAlida had success with a white vinegar rinse (I wanted to try that, but wasn't sure it was hair friendly).
I'm interested in any other tips people have... :)

PJ-Sander
August 16th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I wish you luck with the baking soda routine. Some folks have great success with it. I tried going no 'poo twice, during the span of a year, and my hair revolted something fierce. Had to go back to commercial shampoo and conditioner.

Lippytoes
August 16th, 2011, 02:51 PM
I've been wondering about coconut oil too, I'd love to go to CO, but I doubt it will do to get the oiliness out! :P

CO definitely gets the oiliness out for me at least. I remember reading that conditioner is actually better for getting oils out of hair than shampoo is! If you're worried about lingering oiliness, you can just leave the conditioner in for a longer time. :)