PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking of CO washing

GabrielleRose
August 9th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Can someone please give me more info on it? The CO thread I found is a little over whelming. The reason I'm thinking of COing is because I suffer from HORRIBLE tangles and I ALWAYS end up getting splits no matter what! :( Is CO good for splits and tangles? Can I use Aubrey Organics as a CO wash, or maybe Giovanni smooth as silk? I really don't want to use products that are tested on animals. I was also thinking of maybe trying Tresemme for CO, because I don't think they test on animals. Any suggestions on conditioners to try? How do I CO anyway, do I need more than 1 conditioner? I'm sorry for so many questions, but I am going CRAZY as to how to deal with my hair. I did wash my hair with Aubrey Organics GPB Lavender Ylang Ylang shampoo and conditioner but the conditioner only seems awesome. But I'm scared it might make my hair look thin and stringy. Can CO give the appearance of thick hair? I know when I use Aubrey Organics shampoo and conditioner my hair seems thicker. Ahhh... must stop questioning everything lol!

Copasetic
August 9th, 2011, 03:45 PM
There's a pretty big CO thread on the LHC that might be of help to you.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898

McFearless
August 9th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Are you cone free? Use a diluted with water cone free conditioner to massage your scalp with like you would shampoo, but don't rinse it out. Apply your regular conditioner to your length, clip your hair up and go about your shower duties. When you are finished, rinse your scalp and hair thoroughly and thats about it.

Some people need to give this method a little bit of time before their scalp adjusts to not being stripped with shampoo. You might have to experiment a little with how many minutes you leave the conditioner on, but its all worth it to me. My hair has never been more soft.

spidermom
August 9th, 2011, 03:50 PM
For me, the simplest conditioners (few ingredients) worked the best. My best routine was to slather dry hair with conditioner, put on a shower cap, put a wool cap over that, and let the whole thing marinate for about an hour. Then I'd step into the shower, briefly wet my hair, then step out of the spray and massage my entire scalp until the conditioner got sort of a foamy consistency. Then I'd rinse-rinse-rinse and rinse some more.

I'd only get good results from doing this once, though. If I did it twice in a row, I'd get limp, dull hair. CWC with diluted shampoo gives me consistently good results.

Mairéad
August 9th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Clarify before starting.

1. Select the conditioner you will use for cleansing. This one should be cone free. Cheap ones like VO5 and Suave are cult favorites around here.

2. Take a couple globs (this is where the cheap part comes in handy) of your light conditioner and work it into your hair. I prefer to do it on dry hair. Since the cleaning ingredients are mild, take a minute or two to massage the product into your scalp to loosen dirt and grease. Leave this conditioner in your hair while you do your other shower-ly duties.

3. Now that you’ve finished up the other parts of your shower, tilt your head back in the shower stream and quickly bring it back out. This should bring the foam in the conditioner up. Use your fingers again for a few moments to work this foam into your scalp again.

4. Rinse and rinse well.

5. Use a conditioner you like on the lengths of your hair as you normally would. It’s recommended you use one without the silicone based ingredients like mentioned before, but success has been reported using them as well in this step.

6. Clarify as needed.

Also, I have used Giovanni's Smooth as Silk as my second conditioner and really liked it, but I have heard they changed the formula. I've also used the Tresseme Naturals as my wash and it was really good so if they're cruelty free that will be an option for you. Right now I use VO5 as a wash and Yes to Carrots on my length.

Cainwen
August 9th, 2011, 03:56 PM
I know what you mean about the main CO thread being overwhelming. :)

I've only recently starting CO washing, so take this with a grain of salt perhaps. I use a clarifying conditioner to marinade and clean my hair, then when thats all rinsed out I use a second moisturizing conditioner on the length, since my hair is super dry. I've been using VO5, becuase they are cheap and silicone free.

I have wurly hair, so CO makes my wurls more curly and defined, but I can't speak to thickness.

GabrielleRose
August 9th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Are you cone free? Use a diluted with water cone free conditioner to massage your scalp with like you would shampoo, but don't rinse it out. Apply your regular conditioner to your length, clip your hair up and go about your shower duties. When you are finished, rinse your scalp and hair thoroughly and thats about it.

Some people need to give this method a little bit of time before their scalp adjusts to not being stripped with shampoo. You might have to experiment a little with how many minutes you leave the conditioner on, but its all worth it to me. My hair has never been more soft.

Thank you McFearless and yes I am currently CO free though 2 washes I did use some cones. What conditioners do you use for your CO? So, use a lighter conditioner on scalp and then possibly a thicker one on the length?

Also, I've always seemed to have pretty soft hair so would CO leave me lank?

GabrielleRose
August 9th, 2011, 04:00 PM
For me, the simplest conditioners (few ingredients) worked the best. My best routine was to slather dry hair with conditioner, put on a shower cap, put a wool cap over that, and let the whole thing marinate for about an hour. Then I'd step into the shower, briefly wet my hair, then step out of the spray and massage my entire scalp until the conditioner got sort of a foamy consistency. Then I'd rinse-rinse-rinse and rinse some more.

I'd only get good results from doing this once, though. If I did it twice in a row, I'd get limp, dull hair. CWC with diluted shampoo gives me consistently good results.

What exactly is CWC?

spidermom
August 9th, 2011, 04:01 PM

That's what happened to my hair. One nice thing about it - less fly-aways. That being the only nice thing about it, I abandoned CO.

GabrielleRose
August 9th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Clarify before starting.

1. Select the conditioner you will use for cleansing. This one should be cone free. Cheap ones like VO5 and Suave are cult favorites around here.

2. Take a couple globs (this is where the cheap part comes in handy) of your light conditioner and work it into your hair. I prefer to do it on dry hair. Since the cleaning ingredients are mild, take a minute or two to massage the product into your scalp to loosen dirt and grease. Leave this conditioner in your hair while you do your other shower-ly duties.

3. Now that you’ve finished up the other parts of your shower, tilt your head back in the shower stream and quickly bring it back out. This should bring the foam in the conditioner up. Use your fingers again for a few moments to work this foam into your scalp again.

4. Rinse and rinse well.

5. Use a conditioner you like on the lengths of your hair as you normally would. It’s recommended you use one without the silicone based ingredients like mentioned before, but success has been reported using them as well in this step.

6. Clarify as needed.

Also, I have used Giovanni's Smooth as Silk as my second conditioner and really liked it, but I have heard they changed the formula. I've also used the Tresseme Naturals as my wash and it was really good so if they're cruelty free that will be an option for you. Right now I use VO5 as a wash and Yes to Carrots on my length.

Thank you so much for the step by step instruction. :) I really hope CO will work out for me, shampoo and conditioner seem to work ok but like I said maybe the CO can combat my crazy tangles and splits.

I will have to double check on Tresemme to see if it's cruelty free, and what do you mean that Giovanni changed? Did they add some bad stuff in their product? I have a bottle of the tea tree triple treat and smooth as silk, do you think those will work well together? I remember using both of those with a CV bar and the results were ok, but maybe the CV bar hindered some possible good results.

GabrielleRose
August 9th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I know what you mean about the main CO thread being overwhelming. :)

I've only recently starting CO washing, so take this with a grain of salt perhaps. I use a clarifying conditioner to marinade and clean my hair, then when thats all rinsed out I use a second moisturizing conditioner on the length, since my hair is super dry. I've been using VO5, becuase they are cheap and silicone free.

I have wurly hair, so CO makes my wurls more curly and defined, but I can't speak to thickness.

Thank you, and I'm glad you're with me on the overwhelming lol!

That is so cool that CO is enhancing your wurls, at times I have a few slight waves but I don't think they could be enhanced but that would be AWESOME if they could show up a little better.

GabrielleRose
August 9th, 2011, 04:09 PM
That's what happened to my hair. One nice thing about it - less fly-aways. That being the only nice thing about it, I abandoned CO.

Uh-oh... maybe CO wouldn't be such a good idea after all. :(

Mairéad
August 9th, 2011, 04:10 PM
I doubt they added anything bad. I've only heard they changed something but I can't confirm it's true. Just want to add that as a warning and make sure to read the ingredients on a new bottle of it. But, I'm pretty sure it still remains a good and more natural product suitable for CO washing.

Make sure to give CO a little bit of time and trial and error before discounting it. It took me a couple hot minutes to find out what my magic potion was and for the transition to clear up.

GabrielleRose
August 9th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I doubt they added anything bad. I've only heard they changed something but I can't confirm it's true. Just want to add that as a warning and make sure to read the ingredients on a new bottle of it. But, I'm pretty sure it still remains a good and more natural product suitable for CO washing.

Make sure to give CO a little bit of time and trial and error before discounting it. It took me a couple hot minutes to find out what my magic potion was and for the transition to clear up.

I'll have to give it a try, but I'm feeling horrible because AO's shampoos make my hair look AWESOME and so do CV bars minus I can't get the length of my hair to look as nice as the top with CV bars. I just hate how much money I've wasted on my hair. I'm trying to love my hair but with all this trial and error I find myself frustrated and wanting to chop my hair off. But maybe I can do a combo off CV bars and AO.

BlazingHeart
August 9th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Hmm, it sounds like you might do well with cwc - condition, wash, condition. You put conditioner on your length to protect it, shampoo your scalp, rinse everything, and then condition your length again. That'd be gentler on your length than shampooing it but it'd give you the nice roots you said you have gotten with shampoo.

YMMV, of course. It's one of the variety of wash methods used here; I can't speak for it as I use a 'poo bar on all of my hair and then condition.

~Blaze

archel
August 9th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Unfortunately, CO wound up just not being for me. I have a greasy scalp and very dry length. I found my scalp was even greasier and my length was flat and lank. I went back to SC with a weekly SMT and my hair is happy again.

mallorykay13
August 9th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Can this work for oily haired peeps?

spidermom
August 9th, 2011, 07:39 PM
CO is worth a try, I think. I was excited by my first good result, and if it had been consistent, that would have been perfect. I'm pretty happy with C-diluted W-C, though. I don't like to experiment much, so hitting upon a consistently good routine was exactly what I wanted.

mallorykay13
August 9th, 2011, 07:49 PM
This is called C - COW - C. There is a really old post on it. I do it and im super happy with it too!

McFearless
August 9th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Thank you McFearless and yes I am currently CO free though 2 washes I did use some cones. What conditioners do you use for your CO? So, use a lighter conditioner on scalp and then possibly a thicker one on the length?

Maybe like Spidermom you can't do it twice in a row? I'm not sure. I use Suave Naturals on my scalp. I dilute it 50/50 with water in another bottle. It glides on much smoothly and works even better than straight. Since you said you have soft hair maybe you won't need a thicker conditioner on the length. The Suave might be just enough moisture.

Other people use VO5, what else...I can't remember right now.

McFearless
August 9th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Can this work for oily haired peeps?

It makes my hair much cleaner than shampoo ever did. Shampoo makes my scalp produce sooo much oil.

MissManda
August 9th, 2011, 08:04 PM
I've been doing CO exclusively for almost six months and my hair loves it. My method is similar to what has already been mentioned. I alternate between Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition and Tame Cream Rinse or Suave Naturals to cleanse with, which reduces my frizz, lessens tangles, and makes my previously very soft hair insanely supersoft. I haven't experienced my hair going lank unless I haven't rinsed the conditioner out well enough. When my hair is properly CO-washed, it actually has much more body than with SC or CWC.

ETA: My scalp is also somewhat oily and I have no issues with this method making it any oilier. I only need to wash twice a week.

mallorykay13
August 9th, 2011, 08:16 PM
What are you guys' personal methods?

GabrielleRose
August 9th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Hmm, it sounds like you might do well with cwc - condition, wash, condition. You put conditioner on your length to protect it, shampoo your scalp, rinse everything, and then condition your length again. That'd be gentler on your length than shampooing it but it'd give you the nice roots you said you have gotten with shampoo.

YMMV, of course. It's one of the variety of wash methods used here; I can't speak for it as I use a 'poo bar on all of my hair and then condition.

~Blaze

Well, I wanted to give up on the CV bars but I have some left over and I feel horrible just letting them go to waste. What I did
tonight was wash all my hair with the extra honey beer, rinsed with cold water and then a very mild ACV rinse, misted my hair with a mix of water and AO honeysuckle rose, and then I put some of Kimberlily's Coconut Butter on the length. My hair is still drying but I'm hoping :pray: this will work, because I really love the concept of the shampoo bars.

By the way, thanks for breaking down CWC for me. :)

GabrielleRose
August 9th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Unfortunately, CO wound up just not being for me. I have a greasy scalp and very dry length. I found my scalp was even greasier and my length was flat and lank. I went back to SC with a weekly SMT and my hair is happy again.

I'm sorry CO didn't work for you. I don't really have a greasy scalp or anything, but when I tried CO twice before my hair just felt coated and looked very dull.

What SC are you using now? I've been wanting to try an SMT but I have yet to make it. How do you like doing an SMT?

GabrielleRose
August 9th, 2011, 10:06 PM
CO is worth a try, I think. I was excited by my first good result, and if it had been consistent, that would have been perfect. I'm pretty happy with C-diluted W-C, though. I don't like to experiment much, so hitting upon a consistently good routine was exactly what I wanted.

I don't really like experimenting that much either, because I get easily discouraged. :(

GabrielleRose
August 9th, 2011, 10:08 PM
This is called C - COW - C. There is a really old post on it. I do it and im super happy with it too!

Thank you! :)

GabrielleRose
August 9th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Maybe like Spidermom you can't do it twice in a row? I'm not sure. I use Suave Naturals on my scalp. I dilute it 50/50 with water in another bottle. It glides on much smoothly and works even better than straight. Since you said you have soft hair maybe you won't need a thicker conditioner on the length. The Suave might be just enough moisture.

Other people use VO5, what else...I can't remember right now.

When I have attempted CO I used Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut and it worked the first time, but when I did it again my hair was like no lol! Ended up dull, felt coated and tangled like crazy! As for V05, that was a no too because it made my hair feel coated and when my hair dried up it was all clumpy yuck!

kidari
August 9th, 2011, 10:14 PM
I'm pretty new here and I wash with shampoo daily. I've tried CO in the past but I find I can't do it daily or exclusively. Since I use coney products I clarify once a week or once every two weekds, depending. My hair is very oily and likes to be washed daily so I've been alternating CO washings with regular SC washings. My hair loves this so far, but I'm in an experimental phase, trying one new thing at a time.

What I do is thouroughly saturated my hair well with water and put 3 generous palmfuls at a time of V05 kiwi lime squeeze clarifying conditioner to my scalp at a time in different sections and massage my scalp well with my fingertips. Then I add some more to the length and showercap everything to do other showery things. The last thing I do before I get out of the shower is rinse, rinse, and rinse some more. I use a wide toothed comb to detangle and make sure all of the product is out of my hair. I find that CO washing makes my hair soft, moisturized, and holds a curl better- I actually get a lot of volume from the added moisture it provides. It only becomes limp and lifeless if I CO wash for days in a row. I feel I need to use shampoo for my next wash and now I clairfy once a week instead of every 2 weeks. Everyone is different, but this is what's been working great for me lately.

GabrielleRose
August 9th, 2011, 10:16 PM
I've been doing CO exclusively for almost six months and my hair loves it. My method is similar to what has already been mentioned. I alternate between Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition and Tame Cream Rinse or Suave Naturals to cleanse with, which reduces my frizz, lessens tangles, and makes my previously very soft hair insanely supersoft. I haven't experienced my hair going lank unless I haven't rinsed the conditioner out well enough. When my hair is properly CO-washed, it actually has much more body than with SC or CWC.

ETA: My scalp is also somewhat oily and I have no issues with this method making it any oilier. I only need to wash twice a week.

I'm happy CO works for you. :D My mom likes that Tame brand, we found it at the Dollar Tree. I thought I liked the smell, but when I used it I got a crazy headache and had to wash my hair again.

I had really loved the Garnier Fructis triple nutrition, but I see they're added cones and I think they test on animals. :(

GabrielleRose
August 9th, 2011, 10:20 PM
I'm pretty new here and I wash with shampoo daily. I've tried CO in the past but I find I can't do it daily or exclusively. Since I use coney products I clarify once a week or once every two weekds, depending. My hair is very oily and likes to be washed daily so I've been alternating CO washings with regular SC washings. My hair loves this so far, but I'm in an experimental phase, trying one new thing at a time.

What I do is thouroughly saturated my hair well with water and put 3 generous palmfuls at a time of V05 kiwi lime squeeze clarifying conditioner to my scalp at a time in different sections and massage my scalp well with my fingertips. Then I add some more to the length and showercap everything to do other showery things. The last thing I do before I get out of the shower is rinse, rinse, and rinse some more. I use a wide toothed comb to detangle and make sure all of the product is out of my hair. I find that CO washing makes my hair soft, moisturized, and holds a curl better- I actually get a lot of volume from the added moisture it provides. It only becomes limp and lifeless if I CO wash for days in a row. I feel I need to use shampoo for my next wash and now I clairfy once a week instead of every 2 weeks. Everyone is different, but this is what's been working great for me lately.

It sounds like your experimentation is working well. I'm on the fence of trying out new things because I get easily discouraged. I've never had long hair because my mom would always chop it off so this is the longest I've ever had it but I may have had it longer when I was 9 and I was using good old pantene back then. I really miss the old formulations. :(

Ermine
August 9th, 2011, 10:36 PM
What are you guys' personal methods?

I use Suave Naturals Ocean Breeze (cone free, a little protein) diluted 1-1.

I apply conditioner to my dry hair until it's saturated, then let it sit for a few minutes. Then I massage my hair/scalp as I rinse it until it feels squeaky clean. Then I top it off with an ACV rinse. The ACV rinse is particularly important for getting my hair to look clean.

And Gabrielle, I would keep experimenting with different CO methods and conditioners before giving up entirely. I also had a few terrible greasy bad hair days before it worked for me consistently.

MissManda
August 9th, 2011, 10:46 PM
I'm happy CO works for you. :D My mom likes that Tame brand, we found it at the Dollar Tree. I thought I liked the smell, but when I used it I got a crazy headache and had to wash my hair again.

I had really loved the Garnier Fructis triple nutrition, but I see they're added cones and I think they test on animals. :(

Sorry to hear the Tame gave you a headache. :( I find the smell pretty mild and non-bothersome, but we're all different. As for the GTFN, I think only the shampoo has cones because I have a new bottle of the condish here and I don't see any 'cones. I don't know about the animal testing thing, but I understand why it makes others uncomfortable.

I've been reading some nice things about TRESemme Naturals and when I was looking at them in the store the other day the smells didn't give me a headache which is saying something because most conventional products have that tendency. I'd love to try them eventually, but I need to wait until I need more conditioner. :p

Good luck with finding a conditioner you like and have fun experimenting with CO! :flower:

GabrielleRose
August 9th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Sorry to hear the Tame gave you a headache. :( I find the smell pretty mild and non-bothersome, but we're all different. As for the GTFN, I think only the shampoo has cones because I have a new bottle of the condish here and I don't see any 'cones. I don't know about the animal testing thing, but I understand why it makes others uncomfortable.

I've been reading some nice things about TRESemme Naturals and when I was looking at them in the store the other day the smells didn't give me a headache which is saying something because most conventional products have that tendency. I'd love to try them eventually, but I need to wait until I need more conditioner. :p

Good luck with finding a conditioner you like and have fun experimenting with CO! :flower:

Don't be sorry, I'm just oh so sensitive lol! Yeah, I feel horrible about using products that test on animals. I don't think they should suffer for my hair to be awesome.

I've smelled the Tresemme and its nice, but I tend to shy from Tresemme because I used to use their anti-breakage products and lets say splits galore and dry hair the looked super thin.
:( My hair is so picky!

Blond On Blond
August 9th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Garnier Triple Nutrition does not contain cones. BTW I CO with several conditioners and many of them are coney, there is no rule that they must be no-cone.

AO conditioners are quite heavy, I've used them with success for CO but on hair only - don't let them get near your scalp.

alyanna
August 10th, 2011, 04:18 AM

I've been COing since March or April and this is sounding a lot like me. I'm still continuing to CO, but I don't know for how long.

GabrielleRose
August 10th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Garnier Triple Nutrition does not contain cones. BTW I CO with several conditioners and many of them are coney, there is no rule that they must be no-cone.

AO conditioners are quite heavy, I've used them with success for CO but on hair only - don't let them get near your scalp.

Thanks for telling me Garnier TN doesn't contain cones, but I don't think I'll go back to them.

I haven't really found AO conditioners to be heavy because I absolutely love how they just seep and make my hair soft. I believe the honeysuckle one is heavy though because I think I get over conditioning with it.

Blond On Blond
August 10th, 2011, 12:14 PM
I haven't really found AO conditioners to be heavy because I absolutely love how they just seep and make my hair soft.

We are talking CO washing here ;) I've used all of the AO conditioners and yes, they work wonders, but for the purpose of CO I found them to be not-so-great for cleaning the scalp, they are simply too heavy for that.
I use Kiss My Face Whenever conditioner for cleaning my scalp when I co-wash with AO.

I also think that you'll never know before you try, regardless of everything you read here, everyone's hair is different. For example, I use the AOHS as a leave-in with great results, even though most people reported that it left their hair greasy and coated.

Lollipop
August 10th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I have used Tresseme Naturals nourishing moisture, and while the finished product is not tested on animals, that doesn't mean that the ingredients aren't tested on animals. I personally use Whole foods brand conditioner, and I add a little AO honeysuckle rose to the ends after rinsing out the WF (if needed). AO conditioner are way too moisturizing for CO, although I do remember one person diluted it with aloe and water. Still, I wouldn't recommend it.

To co, I add small puddles and start working from the end, slowly moving up. I make sure that I get plenty on my hair and scalp while finger-combing. I make sure to thoroughly massage my scalp and clip it up ontill the end of my shower. At the end, I work through it with my fingers again as the water runs over it. When I am finished, I sometimes add in a little AOHR just to the bottom if need be.

GabrielleRose
August 10th, 2011, 06:08 PM
We are talking CO washing here ;) I've used all of the AO conditioners and yes, they work wonders, but for the purpose of CO I found them to be not-so-great for cleaning the scalp, they are simply too heavy for that.
I use Kiss My Face Whenever conditioner for cleaning my scalp when I co-wash with AO.

I also think that you'll never know before you try, regardless of everything you read here, everyone's hair is different. For example, I use the AOHS as a leave-in with great results, even though most people reported that it left their hair greasy and coated.

Oh ok, thanks for the clarification again lol! I won't be trying CO anytime soon, I need to use everything else I have up. I only have AO shampoos and conditioners and Aussie but I stopped using that cause they animal test... Even though Aussie made me hair look awesome.

I've tried honeysuckle as a leave in one time I blow dried my hair and it looked AWESOME!!! I also love to use it in a mister! Absolute love right there. :cloud nine:

I have used Tresseme Naturals nourishing moisture, and while the finished product is not tested on animals, that doesn't mean that the ingredients aren't tested on animals. I personally use Whole foods brand conditioner, and I add a little AO honeysuckle rose to the ends after rinsing out the WF (if needed). AO conditioner are way too moisturizing for CO, although I do remember one person diluted it with aloe and water. Still, I wouldn't recommend it.

To co, I add small puddles and start working from the end, slowly moving up. I make sure that I get plenty on my hair and scalp while finger-combing. I make sure to thoroughly massage my scalp and clip it up ontill the end of my shower. At the end, I work through it with my fingers again as the water runs over it. When I am finished, I sometimes add in a little AOHR just to the bottom if need be.

Yeah, that is why I'm staying away from drugstore brands and sticking to AO. I may or may not CO, but AO shampoos seem to work good for both my mom and I. She has super thin hair and mine is a mixture of medium to fine and way thicker than hers.

Thank you for telling me how you co. Making puddles sounds cute! ;)

QMacrocarpa
August 11th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Do folks find they need to CO-wash more frequently than if they're shampooing the scalp? I tried CO-ing (with Suave Naturals) a couple weeks back, and my hair went lank and stringy within a few days, so I needed to wash it sooner than I planned. My usual (non-CO) routine has been to wash my scalp with dilute shampoo, then condition, and generally once a week. I suppose I should have stuck it out and tried CO-ing a few more times, but since my usual routine works ok, and I don't want to wash my hair more frequently or buy a lot of different conditioners trying to find "the one", it didn't seem all that appealing.

Or does the lank-and-stringy symptom simply indicate inadequate rinsing?