PDA

View Full Version : I hate finding monster splits!

monsterna
August 9th, 2011, 12:52 PM
I just found a few monster splits. Like those tiered ones. Where there is a split at the bottom and another one an inch above that one on the same strand. I also found one tiered four times! sigh

I get all paranoid when I see them, expecting them to be allllll over my length now. :( Anyone else get like that? It's definitely something a dusting or microtrim wouldn't help. :)

Khiwanean
August 9th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Yeah I get those sometimes. I'm starting to think I should start a scrapbook with them or something. It would certainly be interesting to keep them somewhere just to see how many different unique ones I could collect. It would certainly make it less horrifying when I do find them.

Alvrodul
August 9th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Oh my, yes - and I detest them just as much as you do! I had a major S&D session a couple of days ago, and I got rid of a number of the dratted things then - but you know how it is with those splits - there are always more of them!
I am not entirely surprised by those mega-split ends. My ends have become much better in the year or so I have been here, but there are always room for improvement. And I know I have damage. To get rid of that, I trimmed my ends frequently this spring, and had a larger trim at a hairdresser in the end of June. This ensured that I got rid of the worst of it, and certainly the chemical damage, but there is still a fair amount of mechanical damage on the lower half of my hair.
And those splits.
So I'll do my S&D sessions and occasional trims, handle my hair gently, wear it up as much as possible, and cultivate patience.:meditate:

Copasetic
August 9th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I used to find ones that had like 10 splits. Thankfully I haven't seen one like that in a while. Now I just find a lot of fairy knots!

ericthegreat
August 9th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I wouldn't lose sleep over them. You wouldn't see them in any of my photos, but I have a few split ends scattered all around my head as well. I always keep my length and my side-swept bangs neatly trimmed and I S&D quite frequently, so the vast overwhelming majority of my hair ends that you see are nice and healthy, but I also have some shorter bits and strands in between that are split and don't get trimmed off with the main length. We all have them, not all of our hairs will grow to a long terminal length, some of them will have shorter terminal lengths. I would go crazy if I tried to go after each and every one of them.

Just do a good CO washing, or you could apply a small amount of oil or a leave-in product to smooth over those split hairs you don't like.

C.H.
August 9th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Yeah I get those sometimes. I'm starting to think I should start a scrapbook with them or something. It would certainly be interesting to keep them somewhere just to see how many different unique ones I could collect. It would certainly make it less horrifying when I do find them.

Oh, me too. They're impressive in a horrifying way. I've been tempted to save or take pictures of some the most epic ones. Would make a funny thread to post pictures, right?

Amber_Maiden
August 9th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Very horrifying. I always seem to find them when I'm on the bus or in the washroom or when I'm in class- and when I don't have my snippers around... And then it seems to hide when i get home! grrrr

Bast
August 9th, 2011, 02:14 PM
And then it feels so good to pull out the scissors and cut them off.

What I find really impressive is when I discover a monster split that has then split even more.

heartgoesboom
August 9th, 2011, 02:16 PM
i'm horrible. i'm growing out high lift dyed and damaged hair so i have a bunch of monster splits, but i LOVE finding them.

Madora
August 9th, 2011, 02:37 PM
I once found one strand that had 6 other splits in it..but that was a rare occasion.

Just goes to show you, trimming splits is a good thing to prevent more splitting. I wouldn't be bothered too much about it. Just be diligent with trims every 3 months.

spidermom
August 9th, 2011, 02:48 PM
I know! Somtimes the ends of my split ends are split.

monsterna
August 9th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Just be diligent with trims every 3 months.

o_O My face when I haven't trimmed in about 20 months. :lol:

beccababesx
August 15th, 2011, 04:00 PM
I still get those, or big long splits that last several inches! I'm not sure I'll ever get rid of them seen as my entire hair length has been trashed with dye/heat... Just got to keep up with S&D I suppose! Really highlights how ineffective trims are in getting rid of splits...

MonaLisa
August 15th, 2011, 05:28 PM
oh i have those sometimes...got that nasty feeling when i see it too. rarely tho.

what bothers me more is that my regular little splits are higher on my length...the very ends got no splits...guess cuz im a regular trimmer ( every 3 months), just trim only fixed the ends..

thanks to me bullying my hair for years... :(
but we're on a right path now :)

Chetanlaiho
August 15th, 2011, 05:49 PM
A friend of mine has pretty dry hair at the ends and for years she did not use any form of conditioner at all (which works for some people, but it didn't for me and it doesn't for her) and she had some splits that quite scared me, to the point where I considered cutting it off with 'regular' scissors when she asked me if she should because well any resulting split of the scissors would not be as bad ^^;

Zesty
August 15th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Oh, I hate these so much! It's very demoralizing when I find two or three during S&D, it makes me feel like my hair must be too damaged to save. I just have to remind myself that my hair looks and feels nice overall, and I don't need to freak out.

Lollipop
August 15th, 2011, 08:19 PM
I just wanted to say that my sister's hairdresser (also her friend) once found a monster split witha a total of...(wait for it)...SIXTEEN SPLITS shudder:!!! It's pretty amazing, I'm wondering how these monster splits don't just break off.

McFearless
August 15th, 2011, 11:01 PM
I used to have splits that looked like evergreen trees. You just gotta s&d the hell out of it.

C.H.
August 15th, 2011, 11:35 PM
I just wanted to say that my sister's hairdresser (also her friend) once found a monster split witha a total of...(wait for it)...SIXTEEN SPLITS shudder:!!! It's pretty amazing, I'm wondering how these monster splits don't just break off.

Wow. I used to think I had achieved the maximum possible splits on one strand, but I think she's got me beat. I guess it's a testament to the strength of hair fibers, that they can be split into 16 times and still stand up to regular brushing and handling without breaking.

Safira
August 15th, 2011, 11:54 PM
I know the feeling, I have found that kind of splits couple of time. Not nice.

jojo
August 17th, 2011, 11:35 AM
It is impossible to s&d all the splits so you are always going to find the odd monster split. I found one on saturday it was like a feather with 8 I kid you not splits all up the shaft. Most of mine are baby ones on the very ends.

Aurielle
August 17th, 2011, 12:54 PM
I actually prefer those to "normal" splits--so long as they don't go too far up. They are much more interesting to look at. :P

C.H.
August 17th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I actually prefer those to "normal" splits--so long as they don't go too far up. They are much more interesting to look at. :P

They are interesting to look at.

Kyla
August 17th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I hate it too :( But, like other posters said, maybe if I document them it will become a more interesting experience? Hmmm...

xoxophelia
August 17th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Can I call them "monsterna splits" from now on? :P

I find a few time to time but generally speaking they are caused by mechanical damage in that one specific spot for me. Best to just S&D it away and forget about it.

monsterna
August 17th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Can I call them "monsterna splits" from now on? :P

I find a few time to time but generally speaking they are caused by mechanical damage in that one specific spot for me. Best to just S&D it away and forget about it.

Hehe. Call them whatever you like, but I would rather not be associated with these things. :p

Merewen
August 17th, 2011, 10:00 PM
I get them. You know it's REALLY bad when I'm clutching a single strand of hair saying, "DH, come look at this split!" I find them strangely fascinating. Poor DH just smiles and nods.

MemoryXIII
August 17th, 2011, 10:03 PM
I was told by an Indian woman that I shouldn't trim split ends. I guess I wonder what the truth is on that.