PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Hairsticks?

GoldberryHair
August 9th, 2011, 09:47 AM
I'm in major need of hair sticks, however, I'm currently broke lol so I need some ideas of at home, diy, hairsticks.

And I'm not talking pencils or pens! LOL. I want them to look nicee.

BlazingHeart
August 9th, 2011, 10:01 AM
There is a HUGE thread about making your own hairtoys - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131

Yame
August 9th, 2011, 10:55 AM
I am on the same boat. I decided to get some knitting needles and add decorations to them... Since I don't have a garage I can do woodwork in. Once I am finished with the first I'll post on the home made hairsticks thread!

Guenhwyvar
August 9th, 2011, 11:02 AM
What about stealing some chopsticks from a takeaway and decorating them? Thats what I did xD

BlazingHeart
August 9th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Also, if what you want is topped hairsticks, you can buy cheap hairsticks from somewhere like Pacific Merchantile on Etsy - he will drill the ends so you just have to attach your headpins and beads. His cheapest sticks are $5/pair, and I think they're nicely finished, very smooth. I just bought several pairs from him to decorate.

~Blaze

Anje
August 9th, 2011, 11:07 AM
I like to get reusable chopsticks (World Market, Pier One, wherever you can find them) that look a little nicer and might have a decorative top end, and cut the food tip off so they're not as unwieldy and obviously chopstick-like.

QueenJoey
August 9th, 2011, 11:09 AM
I personally like to use chopsticks, the ones with the pointy ends, not flat. You can cut them a little shorter and glue decorations one. Maybe even paint on the wood so it looks like a hair decoration, not something you were previously using to eat chow mein. :)

ETA: Darn it! I'm not the first person to suggest that.

mathnerd
August 9th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Also, if what you want is topped hairsticks, you can buy cheap hairsticks from somewhere like Pacific Merchantile on Etsy - he will drill the ends so you just have to attach your headpins and beads. His cheapest sticks are $5/pair, and I think they're nicely finished, very smooth. I just bought several pairs from him to decorate.

~Blaze

I wish I hadn't looked this up. haha There are some pretty acrylic ones there. :( Now I want some. lol

Laurenji
August 9th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Once again, I would check out the "self-made hairtoys" thread that someone has already linked to. Also, I've been carving hairsticks out of dowels with an Xacto knife lately, and I've made some ones I'm pretty proud of. It wasn't too hard, so that's an option too.

Emmental
August 9th, 2011, 12:31 PM
I have had issues with chopsticks actually working in my hair (without using a silly number of them) but crochet needles are great. Sure, you have to buy them if you don't own them, but maybe you could ask for some on Freecycle, Kijiji, Craigslist, etc.

GoldberryHair
August 9th, 2011, 01:14 PM
What about stealing some chopsticks from a takeaway and decorating them? Thats what I did xD

I actually just found some in my drawer! lol I'm painting them with nail polish ;)

BlazingHeart
August 9th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Make sure you sand the hell out of them first!

longcurlygirl<3
August 9th, 2011, 02:29 PM
What kind of material do you ladies use to make your hair sticks?

Anje
August 9th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Sharpen the takeout chopsticks, too. They're usually pretty blunt-ended. Pencil sharpener + sanding seems to be the preferred method.

JuliaDancer
August 9th, 2011, 02:47 PM
They might not be available where you live, but children's chopsticks are cute and shorter than regular chopsticks. They should be cheap.

archel
August 9th, 2011, 03:30 PM
I have made hair sticks in the past and it was very fun and I saved some money. I even made a sterling silver pair of "mac daddy hair sticks" that I hand beaded with Swarovski crystals - I don't even want to think of what someone would charge for them on Etsy, but I made them for cheap. I wish I could remember the supplier, but I also got drilled bone and drilled wood sticks as well and it was SO FUN to make them (I love making jewelry). This was 3 years ago when I had waist length hair and I cannot WAIT to get to wearing all these again.

Aw heck, now I want to buy supplies and start making more...