PDA

View Full Version : Why would my under layer be more damaged than my canopy?

SoulOfTheSea
August 8th, 2011, 10:14 PM
So, it's common knowledge here on LHC that the canopy is supposed to be more damaged than the under layer of the hair, due to sun, wind, and handling damage. However... my under layer is more damaged! The hairs seem to be growing at a more uneven rate, and they thin out much much more than my canopy. Why could this be? I honestly have no idea. :confused:

xoerincolleen
August 8th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Do you wear your hair down a lot? Rubbing against your shirt can be a big damage culprit.

archel
August 8th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Do you brush from underneath? Or maybe put your hair up in a towel after flipping it all up? Stuff like that maybe...anyway, that's opposite of me, my underneath is glorious and it's never seen, LOL

archel
August 8th, 2011, 10:39 PM
OH, I didn't think about shirts - it would really depend on what fabrics you wear and stuff, but that could do it.

HintOfMint
August 8th, 2011, 10:46 PM
That's where I get most of my tangles--the under layer. It would rub against my shirt and cause splits, breakage, and serious tangles. As a result, that layer is always shorter and thinner than the rest of my hair. My canopy is pretty resilient, by contrast.

SoulOfTheSea
August 8th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Do you wear your hair down a lot? Rubbing against your shirt can be a big damage culprit.

Oh goodness... Yes I do wear my hair down a lot... I never thought about how the friction from my shirts can cause damage.... oh man. =/

Well, I'm starting to wear my hair up in a nautilus bun now most of the time, now that it's long enough to do so, so hopefully it won't get any worse. :(

mallorykay13
August 8th, 2011, 10:55 PM
I used to always get matts (spelling?) in my under layer right at the nape of my neck from it rubbing against my shirt collar.

ravenreed
August 8th, 2011, 11:41 PM
I wear my hair up all the time so I don't get rat's nests there too often but I still have a lot of damage on my under layer. I have decided that it is because my canopy is very coarse for the most part but my under layer is much finer and more delicate.

laughinglynxie
August 9th, 2011, 12:20 AM
My hair is fine, especially all around the hairline, and gets damaged easily. So I can relate. :) I even wear my hair up a lot (and not in the same spot all of the time, either). I think the fine little hairs that don't grow as fast are much more prone to those little knots and tangles. So for me it's: wispies tangling, knots, combing those knots out, and breakage. :rolleyes:

HeatherJenae
August 9th, 2011, 05:32 AM
I think it's because I tend to unconsciously not treat the under layer as gently as I do the canopy because I know people don't see it. Like when you're doing a loose hairstyle, you make sure all the frizz and stuff is smoothed and beautiful on the top but the underneath doesn't really get that kind of attention so I brush it and that's pretty much it.

Seeshami
August 9th, 2011, 05:41 AM
I had this issue for a bit and then I realized I need to condition there too.

Laurenji
August 9th, 2011, 01:02 PM
I second the wearing it down/shirt friction. It's why I always wear my hair up when I'm wearing a collared shirt.

SoulOfTheSea
August 9th, 2011, 01:19 PM
I second the wearing it down/shirt friction. It's why I always wear my hair up when I'm wearing a collared shirt.

The funny thing is, I don't ever wear collared shirts. :shrug:

Yame
August 9th, 2011, 01:58 PM
My under layer is also more damaged than my canopy. Until recently I wore my hair down almost everyday and in a pony tail the rest of the time, so that could be the reason... Who knows.

spidermom
August 9th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I remember making this discovery. First I noticed that my hair would get knotted up under there. Then one day I was doing S&D in the car wash, and holey-moley! Almost every hair from my nape area was split, some of them multiple times!

It's not so bad now. I've been wearing my hair up most of the time for the last 3-4 years.

SoulOfTheSea
August 9th, 2011, 03:02 PM
I remember making this discovery. First I noticed that my hair would get knotted up under there. Then one day I was doing S&D in the car wash, and holey-moley! Almost every hair from my nape area was split, some of them multiple times!

It's not so bad now. I've been wearing my hair up most of the time for the last 3-4 years.

There are so many more splits in my under layer just like this... I remember my hair around here being so much healthier than my canopy, now it's reversed. Hopefully with my hair in a nautilus bun everyday I can make it better and go away eventually. Oh, and I just did my first SMT, ever! :)

SoulOfTheSea
August 9th, 2011, 03:03 PM
You can really see the thinning of the ends in my under layer in this picture....
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=8340&pictureid=108794

dulce
August 9th, 2011, 03:15 PM
1 also have this.