PDA

View Full Version : Do combs stimulate scalp as much as brushes?

DarleneH
August 8th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Will a comb (or anything else really besides a brush) stimulate your scalp and spread oils along hair length as much as a boar bristle brush does?

Madora
August 8th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Personally speaking, a comb doesn't work for me. I enjoy the feel of boar bristles massaging my scalp (and yes, boar bristles can be felt on your scalp. It's all a manner of how you use your brush..and if the bristles themselves are stiff enough to have enough resistance when going thru the strands.)

JuliaDancer
August 8th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I use combs for detangling, but for spreading oils, I think no comb will work as well as a BBB.

Alaia
August 8th, 2011, 09:27 AM
I like using combs to scritch my scalp. This helps me get rid of any loose skin (ew I know but I have scalp flakes that I can't get rid of - probably stress related).

I use a BBB afterwards to spread the oil, because even a fine toothed comb doesn't do it for me.

DarleneH
August 8th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Well, drat. I think my hair looks better if I don't brush it; brushing makes it a big bushy mess and drags the waves out of it. So I was going to try to convert to brushless but I also want the sebum distributed down hair length.

Thanks for the answers, girls.

Sookie
August 11th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Βut does the BBB hurt hair? I think that it causes a lot of damage...i feel it harsh in my hair :S

Madora
August 11th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Βut does the BBB hurt hair? I think that it causes a lot of damage...i feel it harsh in my hair :S

No, a bbb will not cause damage IF you brush your hair correctly and gently.

Brushing is not just putting the brush to your hair. It is how you use the brush that determines the overall effect it has on your hair.

Curlies might be better off using a comb for their locks but brushing with a pure bbb can do wonders for your hair..if used properly.

ravenheather
February 6th, 2014, 11:56 AM
No, a bbb will not cause damage IF you brush your hair correctly and gently.

Brushing is not just putting the brush to your hair. It is how you use the brush that determines the overall effect it has on your hair.

Curlies might be better off using a comb for their locks but brushing with a pure bbb can do wonders for your hair..if used properly.

So what is the proper technique?

Madora
February 6th, 2014, 12:41 PM
Here's how, ravenheather:

Brushing with a boar bristle brush

Bend at the waist and bring all hair in front of you like a curtain

Finger comb gently down through the hair (I use 2 fingers)

Take a small, thin section of hair, and working from the ends, comb it out gently with your wide tooth comb. Go up the strands, little by little, until you reach the roots. You might want to scrunchie the hair you have already detangled to keep it separate from the other hair.

Continue until all the hair has been detangled

BRUSHING – Canopy hair:

Start at the nape and slowly brush down your hair to the very ends. Go slowly!

Follow each swipe of the brush with the palm of your other hand. Your brush is the (+) and your hand is the minus (-). This method helps calm the static made by the brushing.

Underneath the canopy:

Place the brush bristles on your forehead and slowly move the brush into your front scalp hair. Raise the brush up slightly (about 3 inches), then extend your brush directly out in front of you then down to the floor. The brushing motion should be fluid. Moving from the hairline, up, out and down..all one motion..no jerking. Do it slowly!

Continue brushing again down the nape (canopy hair) and the under canopy hair.

When hair has been fully brushed, part it from nape to forehead so that it is in two sections.

Hold the ends of the hair so that the left section is in the left hand and the right section is in the right hand.

Stand erect.

Take the hair in the right hand and gently place it over the right shoulder and let it fall.

Do the same with the left hand side.

Check for tangles once again, then style as desired.

Number of strokes:

Is a matter of preference. Consistency is more important than quantity.

VERY IMPORTANT!

If you have never brushed your hair in the bent at the waist position (i.e. “upside down”, it is imperative that you start your brushing routine slowly...with a minimum of strokes.

Your hair follicles need time to adjust themselves to the way they are being brushed. If you brush too much, your scalp will HURT!

Thus, when starting out, start with 10 to 15 strokes to begin with. Then, over the next few weeks, add a stroke or two when you can do so comfortably. Keep adding strokes until you reach your goal.

About hair brushes:

Although I have no evidence to back this up, I think the shape of the brush has a lot to do with how well it interacts with your hair. My Goody brush is made of wood, measures 8.5 inches from top to bottom, is 1.4 inches wide, the handle measures 4 inches and it has 7 rows of moderately stiff, thin flexible black boar bristles. It is narrow and not oval. My hands are small and this type of brush is much more ergonomically friendly than a large, oval paddle brush.

About natural boar bristles:

They are the shed “hair” of the wild boar and as such, mesh well with going through human hair strands.

They can be of various lengths, thicknesses, colors. Stiffer, longer bristles are supposed to be able to handle thicker hair. Personally, a stiffer, thicker bristle didn't work for my very thick hair. I prefer a bristle that is still with a little flexibility to it.

The stiffness in your bbb will lessen with time...depending on how much you use it.

Miscellaneous:

For best results, keep your brush (and comb) squeaky clean. Wash both weekly (preferably more) and dry the brush, bristles side down, on a lint free cloth, out of the way of direct sunlight. Store it in an airtight box to keep lint/dust from getting on it.

Benefits of regular, daily boar bristle brushing:
Distributes the hair's natural sebum down the strands
Exercises your hair follicles, which is necessary for good hair growth
Removes dead hair cells/lint/dust from your hair
Over time will leave your hair glossy and incredibly soft

How often to brush:

Every day...in the morning..when you get up. Per Dr. George Michael, this is the optimum time to brush.

Try and be consistent – do the same number of strokes per day.

Brush gently and always detangle with a wide tooth comb BEFORE brushing.

Try to wear something other than nylon or rayon when brushing as both fabrics can cause more static.

Never, EVER, toss/fling/throw your hair over your head when you are finished brushing. You want to keep the hair as free of tangles as possible.

NEVER, EVER, BRUSH YOUR HAIR WHEN IT IS WET OR DAMP!

Keep your brush free of shed hairs. Clean it out after each brushing session!

Brushing is good for your hair, provided you use a natural boar bristle brush and the proper technique. (However, it is not recommend for curlies since the structure of their hair does not lend itself to brushing).

Nearly everything I've learned about hair care came from Dr. George Michael, the Czar of Long Hair. I've never been disappointed with his advice!

Brushing does work – it all boils down to your brush and how you use it.

Agnes Hannah
February 6th, 2014, 02:02 PM
Thanks Madora! I'm going to try this.

meteor
February 6th, 2014, 04:54 PM
The technique Madora described is excellent. But I noticed that some ladies on this thread have F type hair, fine hair is silky and more fragile, so frequent brushing, even if gentle, may not be the best approach as it can lead to split ends and breakage, called acquired trichorrhexis nodosa.

Brushing makes my hair look very sleek and shiny, spreads oils, but it may be chipping away at some roughened hair cuticles, so I avoid it for the same reasons as I avoid some hair styling techniques that impart shine but may be rough on hair. There is a traditional method of putting a piece of silk on top of a BBB and smoothing/polishing hair that way. It's probably a much gentler way of imparting shine and spreading oils.

Here is a study that some LHC-ers may find useful:

The Effect of Brushing on Hair Loss in Women: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19016066

RESULTS:
In all comparisons analyzed, hair loss was reduced by reducing brushing frequency. A subgroup analysis found strong association (p < 0.05) between brushing frequencies and the magnitude of hair loss.
CONCLUSION:
Brushing is associated with hair loss. Reducing the brushing frequencies may reduce the amount of hair shed.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 6th, 2014, 05:10 PM
The technique Madora described is excellent. But I noticed that some ladies on this thread have F type hair, fine hair is silky and more fragile, so frequent brushing, even if gentle, may not be the best approach as it can lead to split ends and breakage, called acquired trichorrhexis nodosa.

Brushing makes my hair look very sleek and shiny, spreads oils, but it may be chipping away at some roughened hair cuticles, so I avoid it for the same reasons as I avoid some hair styling techniques that impart shine but may be rough on hair. There is a traditional method of putting a piece of silk on top of a BBB and smoothing/polishing hair that way. It's probably a much gentler way of imparting shine and spreading oils.

Here is a study that some LHC-ers may find useful:

The Effect of Brushing on Hair Loss in Women: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19016066

RESULTS:
In all comparisons analyzed, hair loss was reduced by reducing brushing frequency. A subgroup analysis found strong association (p < 0.05) between brushing frequencies and the magnitude of hair loss.
CONCLUSION:
Brushing is associated with hair loss. Reducing the brushing frequencies may reduce the amount of hair shed.

Surely it would depend on what kind of brush you were using?

lapushka
February 6th, 2014, 05:11 PM
Not to mention that wavies and curlies might want to stay the heck away from a brush when dry, except right before a wash (see: curly girl method).

meteor
February 6th, 2014, 05:42 PM

Yes, most definitely. But I think it's a very subjective feeling - without a microscope and my scalp hurting, I can't tell which brush is soft enough and which one is not, which is why I'd recommend no brushing to fineys/curlies/wavies, no detangling with a brush - only light smoothing, and maybe using silk over the bristles.

Madora
February 6th, 2014, 06:36 PM

You can say that again, Sarahlabyrinth!! Not to mention HOW you use the brush! That makes all the difference!

Madora
February 6th, 2014, 06:42 PM
Yes, most definitely. But I think it's a very subjective feeling - without a microscope and my scalp hurting, I can't tell which brush is soft enough and which one is not, which is why I'd recommend no brushing to fineys/curlies/wavies, no detangling with a brush - only light smoothing, and maybe using silk over the bristles.

I agree. And when you come down to it, you should never detangle with a brush to begin with. Consider this: a comb only has so many tines to catch in the hair. A brush has bristles (or plastic teeth) that comes in contact with your hair. Wouldn't it be more prudent to use the comb and limit the damage when detangling?

turtlelover
February 6th, 2014, 06:49 PM
I once had a boar bristle brush, but it would not penetrate my hair very well even when it was straightened, sadly, so I gave up on it. Do you think there is a lot of difference in boar bristle brushes based on price? I'm sure mine wasn't top of the line.

I've never found a comb OR brush I am truly in love with. I have a metal bristles paddle brush (it is actually a dog brush! HAHA) that seems to go through my hair w/ the least amount of tugging/pulling/static, but then again, I've never tried a Tangle Teezer, which so many here seem to love.

Madora
February 6th, 2014, 07:01 PM
I once had a boar bristle brush, but it would not penetrate my hair very well even when it was straightened, sadly, so I gave up on it. Do you think there is a lot of difference in boar bristle brushes based on price? I'm sure mine wasn't top of the line.

I've never found a comb OR brush I am truly in love with. I have a metal bristles paddle brush (it is actually a dog brush! HAHA) that seems to go through my hair w/ the least amount of tugging/pulling/static, but then again, I've never tried a Tangle Teezer, which so many here seem to love.

Oh, yes, turtlelover, there is quite a difference between an expensive bbb and one from Target (not that there's anything wrong with that!). The more expensive brushes are usually handmade, with beautiful woods, and the boar bristles can be thick and long or thin and soft. There is quite a range, which is why you need to feel and handle it before purchase. Case in point: years ago someone praised a Kent of London boar bristle brush as being the last word for beautiful long hair. Sight unseen I purchased it for $80.00...and while it was beautifully made, it didn't like my very thick hair (bristles were too thick and stiff, plus the bristle clumps were too close together). However, I found a wonderful bbb by Goody (back in the 70s) and liked it so much I bought 3 (the last one I'm using now).

Buying a bbb is something of a gamble, which is why feeling the bristles is so important. Also, how you use the brush makes a difference. I brush both ways..bending down and standing erect.

Strange to say, I knew someone with knee length hair that used a metal dog brush on it. I was floored when she told me...but apparently she was very careful when she used it! It'd hate one of those spines to scratch my scalp!

When you brush there should be no resistance (provided you properly detangled your hair first).

Quasiquixotic
February 6th, 2014, 07:06 PM
When you brush there should be no resistance (provided you properly detangled your hair first).

Okay, I'm learning so much. I've been doing it wrong apparently. Yea! For learning and less breakage :)

ravenheather
February 6th, 2014, 07:10 PM
Wow thanks Madora for the how to.

Madora
February 6th, 2014, 07:14 PM
Okay, I'm learning so much. I've been doing it wrong apparently. Yea! For learning and less breakage :)

A tip re: detangling...To help lessen the breakage possibilities, finger comb your hair first, then gently detangle with a wide tooth comb, starting at the bottom of the strand, then working up, a little at a time, until you reach the scalp.

It really helps, too, if you only try to detangle a small, pencil sized, section of hair...instead of trying to glom thru a big swatch of hair. With smaller sections, you can detect the snarls/mats more easily, and take them out with your fingers (don't try to comb them out..that only causes more breakage).

If you find a snarl, hold it horizontally and try and detangle it with your fingers (working on the top of the knot to free the snarl, then switching to the bottom of the knot to undo some strands. It is more helpful to hold the knot horizontally than vertically because if you try and work on the knot in the vertical position you end up tightening it.

Madora
February 6th, 2014, 07:16 PM
Wow thanks Madora for the how to.

Glad I could help, ravenheather!

Quasiquixotic
February 6th, 2014, 07:17 PM
A tip re: detangling...To help lessen the breakage possibilities, finger comb your hair first, then gently detangle with a wide tooth comb, starting at the bottom of the strand, then working up, a little at a time, until you reach the scalp.

It really helps, too, if you only try to detangle a small, pencil sized, section of hair...instead of trying to glom thru a big swatch of hair. With smaller sections, you can detect the snarls/mats more easily, and take them out with your fingers (don't try to comb them out..that only causes more breakage).

If you find a snarl, hold it horizontally and try and detangle it with your fingers (working on the top of the knot to free the snarl, then switching to the bottom of the knot to undo some strands. It is more helpful to hold the knot horizontally than vertically because if you try and work on the knot in the vertical position you end up tightening it.

Excellent. All stuff I'd never thought of, but makes perfect sense.

Quasiquixotic
February 6th, 2014, 07:18 PM
Sorry. Double post.

turtlelover
February 6th, 2014, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the advice, Madora. Maybe I'll bit the bullet sometime and try out a better BBB. I'm thinking a might need one with wider bristle spacing and stiffer bristles to go through my waves or something like that.

Loviatar
February 6th, 2014, 10:43 PM
Thanks for this Madora. I love my BBB (Kent of London!) but I always felt I was doing something wrong because my crown would look oily and my length go staticky and flyaway. I used to BBB upside down when I was a little girl, don't know why I stopped. I've done it standing straight and post-detangling, just brushing down from crown to ends. Not any more now I have your technique. :flower:

hanne jensen
February 7th, 2014, 04:23 AM
I have fine hair. Can I use a BBB using Madora's method or should I avoid brushing entirely? Although my hair is fine, I have lots of them. My scalp loves being brushed.

Bagginslover
February 7th, 2014, 07:42 AM
I have thick hair, that likes to clump, regardless of the fact its straight. When I use my BBB, I section my hair (like they do at a salon to blow dry), and brush each section individually. I cannot brush it upside down-it'll be one huge mat when I turn back the right way again, no matter how carefully. The sectioning method works for me though.

I think thats key, trying different ways and seeing what works best with your hair, even if its not the 'right' way ;)

Madora
February 7th, 2014, 08:14 AM
Thanks for this Madora. I love my BBB (Kent of London!) but I always felt I was doing something wrong because my crown would look oily and my length go staticky and flyaway. I used to BBB upside down when I was a little girl, don't know why I stopped. I've done it standing straight and post-detangling, just brushing down from crown to ends. Not any more now I have your technique. :flower:

You're welcome, Loviatar. While brushing "upside down" is best, doing it while standing is perfectly fine too (so long as you detangle first). The upside down method makes it easier to reach the nape hair. The static results from the brushing. You can help tame a lot of that by using your free hand to swipe the strands you've just brushed.

Madora
February 7th, 2014, 08:31 AM
I have fine hair. Can I use a BBB using Madora's method or should I avoid brushing entirely? Although my hair is fine, I have lots of them. My scalp loves being brushed.

While I don't believe in not brushing at all, in all honesty a boar bristle brush doesn't give your scalp a good going over. The brush is meant mainly as a cleaning and sebum distributing utensil and not a scalp scrubber/massager, especially so if you have thick hair. My hair was very thick years ago and as much as I loved my brushing, it didn't really penetrate all the way down unless I applied pressure to the brush (which is a big no no, but I did it anyway).

If you find you are having good results with what you are using now, hanne jensen, then stay with it. Some people have beautiful hair and they never use a brush.

The important thing to remember is to provide your scalp with some kind of daily stimulation...whether by a brush or a comb. The scalp needs stimulation in order to nourish the follicles that product healthy strands.

jacqueline101
February 7th, 2014, 10:36 AM
Here's how, ravenheather:

Brushing with a boar bristle brush

Bend at the waist and bring all hair in front of you like a curtain

Finger comb gently down through the hair (I use 2 fingers)

Take a small, thin section of hair, and working from the ends, comb it out gently with your wide tooth comb. Go up the strands, little by little, until you reach the roots. You might want to scrunchie the hair you have already detangled to keep it separate from the other hair.

Continue until all the hair has been detangled

BRUSHING – Canopy hair:

Start at the nape and slowly brush down your hair to the very ends. Go slowly!

Follow each swipe of the brush with the palm of your other hand. Your brush is the (+) and your hand is the minus (-). This method helps calm the static made by the brushing.

Underneath the canopy:

Place the brush bristles on your forehead and slowly move the brush into your front scalp hair. Raise the brush up slightly (about 3 inches), then extend your brush directly out in front of you then down to the floor. The brushing motion should be fluid. Moving from the hairline, up, out and down..all one motion..no jerking. Do it slowly!

Continue brushing again down the nape (canopy hair) and the under canopy hair.

When hair has been fully brushed, part it from nape to forehead so that it is in two sections.

Hold the ends of the hair so that the left section is in the left hand and the right section is in the right hand.

Stand erect.

Take the hair in the right hand and gently place it over the right shoulder and let it fall.

Do the same with the left hand side.

Check for tangles once again, then style as desired.

Number of strokes:

Is a matter of preference. Consistency is more important than quantity.

VERY IMPORTANT!

If you have never brushed your hair in the bent at the waist position (i.e. “upside down”, it is imperative that you start your brushing routine slowly...with a minimum of strokes.

Your hair follicles need time to adjust themselves to the way they are being brushed. If you brush too much, your scalp will HURT!

Thus, when starting out, start with 10 to 15 strokes to begin with. Then, over the next few weeks, add a stroke or two when you can do so comfortably. Keep adding strokes until you reach your goal.

About hair brushes:

Although I have no evidence to back this up, I think the shape of the brush has a lot to do with how well it interacts with your hair. My Goody brush is made of wood, measures 8.5 inches from top to bottom, is 1.4 inches wide, the handle measures 4 inches and it has 7 rows of moderately stiff, thin flexible black boar bristles. It is narrow and not oval. My hands are small and this type of brush is much more ergonomically friendly than a large, oval paddle brush.

About natural boar bristles:

They are the shed “hair” of the wild boar and as such, mesh well with going through human hair strands.

They can be of various lengths, thicknesses, colors. Stiffer, longer bristles are supposed to be able to handle thicker hair. Personally, a stiffer, thicker bristle didn't work for my very thick hair. I prefer a bristle that is still with a little flexibility to it.

The stiffness in your bbb will lessen with time...depending on how much you use it.

Miscellaneous:

For best results, keep your brush (and comb) squeaky clean. Wash both weekly (preferably more) and dry the brush, bristles side down, on a lint free cloth, out of the way of direct sunlight. Store it in an airtight box to keep lint/dust from getting on it.

Benefits of regular, daily boar bristle brushing:
Distributes the hair's natural sebum down the strands
Exercises your hair follicles, which is necessary for good hair growth
Removes dead hair cells/lint/dust from your hair
Over time will leave your hair glossy and incredibly soft

How often to brush:

Every day...in the morning..when you get up. Per Dr. George Michael, this is the optimum time to brush.

Try and be consistent – do the same number of strokes per day.

Brush gently and always detangle with a wide tooth comb BEFORE brushing.

Try to wear something other than nylon or rayon when brushing as both fabrics can cause more static.

Never, EVER, toss/fling/throw your hair over your head when you are finished brushing. You want to keep the hair as free of tangles as possible.

NEVER, EVER, BRUSH YOUR HAIR WHEN IT IS WET OR DAMP!

Keep your brush free of shed hairs. Clean it out after each brushing session!

Brushing is good for your hair, provided you use a natural boar bristle brush and the proper technique. (However, it is not recommend for curlies since the structure of their hair does not lend itself to brushing).

Nearly everything I've learned about hair care came from Dr. George Michael, the Czar of Long Hair. I've never been disappointed with his advice!

Brushing does work – it all boils down to your brush and how you use it.
This is for madora is there a George Michael hair book of his techniques. I'd like to read it.

Madora
February 7th, 2014, 11:12 AM
This is for madora is there a George Michael hair book of his techniques. I'd like to read it.

jacqueline101, Dr. Michael's book "George Michael's Secrets for Beautiful Hair" was published by Doubleday and Company in 1981. It is very hard to find although I have seen it on Amazon from time to time...$200.00 and up.

However, perhaps you might be able to find it through inter-library loan. Worth trying. It's a great book!

jacqueline101
February 7th, 2014, 11:18 AM
jacqueline101, Dr. Michael's book "George Michael's Secrets for Beautiful Hair" was published by Doubleday and Company in 1981. It is very hard to find although I have seen it on Amazon from time to time...$200.00 and up.

However, perhaps you might be able to find it through inter-library loan. Worth trying. It's a great book!

For the price it sells for I'd hope its great. I might try the local library or second hand book store. Thank you for your help.

Sharysa
February 7th, 2014, 11:19 AM
I can't even use fine-toothed combs due to my hair's texture (1c/2a), so brushes are definitely out. Plus it would take FOREVER to brush my hair properly, since I have a nearly 4-inch ponytail.

In my experience, you CAN stimulate your scalp with a comb without tearing your scalp apart. You just need the right pressure and a good comb without sharp teeth.

turtlelover
February 7th, 2014, 11:21 AM
I'm kind of highjacking the thread with this, but didn't George Michael feel that you shouldn't have bangs or layers? I vaguely remember hearing something about this, but didn't understand it at the time. Does the book explain that?

Madora
February 7th, 2014, 11:43 AM
I'm kind of highjacking the thread with this, but didn't George Michael feel that you shouldn't have bangs or layers? I vaguely remember hearing something about this, but didn't understand it at the time. Does the book explain that?

Mr. Michael did not believe in layers or bangs. Here is what he says in his book "Perhaps the major reason I'm against layered cuts and for one-length hair is that long, perfectly cut hair represents a beautiful mirror, and it shines. Now take a rock and hurl it at the mirror and realize the tremendous shattering of those lines, distorting and destroying the shining mirror surface. A one-length haircut, worn in a smooth (as opposed to kinky or curly) style, will always preserve that mirror-like appearance, even when hair is only 5 or 6 inches long, as in a properly cut wedge. A good wedge, although it appears to be cut in steps, is the same length all over the crown--it's only the hair at the nape of the neck that is graduated to almost nothing to give shape. When you think of Dorothy Hamill and her shining hair you see instantly what I mean."

Personally speaking, all one length gives the appearance of fuller, thicker hair. It is also much easier to S and D or trim, not to mention not having to fight tiny hairs popping out of buns or braids.

Marika
February 7th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Thank you Madora for very detailed brushing instructions!:blossom:

I haven't used my Mason Pearson BBB and softer Kent BBB for ages but I'm definitely going to try this method. I used to brush my hair more often a few years ago (when I bought my brushes) and I don't remember noticing it causing any damage (I was careful). I stopped because I'm lazy and I absolutely love my white Madora comb! I had Mason Pearson wide tooth comb too but my FINE hair ate it in a couple of months. Madora just keeps on going year after year! :)

styric
February 7th, 2014, 01:36 PM
I have an odd question... when brushing, how can I make sure I'm not brushing too hard when I have no feeling in most of my scalp?

My occipital nerves are blocked by neurologist via injections

Madora
February 7th, 2014, 02:29 PM
I have an odd question... when brushing, how can I make sure I'm not brushing too hard when I have no feeling in most of my scalp?

My occipital nerves are blocked by neurologist via injections

Presuming you are using a boar bristle brush (not a Tangle Teazer or any other synthetic type) I'd say you'd be brushing all right if you just brushed the hair against the scalp, w/o bearing down on the brush. Ideally, if you've detangled properly, the brush should go through your hair like a knife thru butter. Go slowly to avoid creating any tangles.

Madora
February 7th, 2014, 02:32 PM
Thank you Madora for very detailed brushing instructions!:blossom:

I haven't used my Mason Pearson BBB and softer Kent BBB for ages but I'm definitely going to try this method. I used to brush my hair more often a few years ago (when I bought my brushes) and I don't remember noticing it causing any damage (I was careful). I stopped because I'm lazy and I absolutely love my white Madora comb! I had Mason Pearson wide tooth comb too but my FINE hair ate it in a couple of months. Madora just keeps on going year after year! :)

Happy to help, Marika. I'm hoping to finally get a GM white Madora comb in a little bit. I know from past experience with their "Maria" comb that their hair goods are tip top quality. My "Maria" faux tortoiseshell comb lasted 12 years before it died.

ArrArr17
February 8th, 2014, 08:43 AM
Wow, thanks for the great tutorial Madora! I need to try this!

Madora
February 8th, 2014, 09:38 AM
[COLOR="#A52A2A"]You're welcome, ArrArr17! /COLOR]

DarleneH
February 8th, 2014, 11:13 AM
I'm in the same boat a few others mentioned: brushes don't reach my scalp so I can't use them to help with scalp stimulation, and thereby they're no help with keeping my scalp clean. The only ones I've seen with long enough bristles are those plastic ones you can use when blow drying, which didn't seem like a good idea. (Maybe I should check out the metal dog brushes.... :) ) So I'm using a comb more because the teeth are longer and penetrate all the way through, but I'm still not sure that's really any help with cleaning. I've been experimenting with no water, I get sore spots which are telling me my scalp needs cleaning, so then I resort to a good massaging under the shower and the soreness is gone the next day. Which I'm trying to minimize water contact while it's so gosh-awful cold out.

So to sum up, I'm trying to keep scalp clean and massaged, plus sebum distributed since I've cut down on washing with water. Most people say brushes are for that, but no brush I've had yet would accomplish it without making my hair look like crap so I went to a comb only. But that's not preventing sore spots or distributing oil, so I guess I'm going to have to add some of that scritching and preening that the SOers (sebum only) do.

DarleneH
February 8th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Aaaargh! Server issues cause double posts....