PDA

View Full Version : Thick hair on Youtube?

darklyndsea
August 8th, 2011, 03:36 AM
Does anybody know of any people with really thick hair who demonstrate how to do buns on Youtube? Because my hair's so thick, I keep watching videos and trying to replicate what they do, and fail horribly, and I don't know if it's because I'm doing something wrong or if it just isn't possible with my hair as it is right now.

Sundial
August 8th, 2011, 03:46 AM
Torrin Paige has pretty thick hair. Check out her videos. She has a lot of styling ones and her explanations are really clear

ETA: I have to highlight that there are certain buns which iii's still cannot do at a certain length because of our thickness. ii's can probably do a proper lazy wrap bun at APL-BSL but I could only do mine around MBL. So sometimes you just need a bit more length for certain styles or modify it a certain way

torrilin
August 8th, 2011, 04:33 AM
iii (moreso than ii and i) is a big category. Someone who is 4"/10cm is not going to have anywhere *near* the difficulties that someone with a 6"/12.5cm circumference will. If I'm remembering right, while Torrin is a iii, she's towards the smaller end. I suspect one reason why she does so many braided styles is that braids are a lot easier to manage in iii hair than straight up buns. A lot of her updos involve multiple braids, and this makes life easier, because each section of hair has a smaller circumference and can thus be packed tighter.

For what it's worth, my circumference is around 3", and my elbow length is about 32". I did not start to be able to do most buns until BSL, which is about 26" on me. Prior to BSL, the only bun I can do is a plain cinnabun. A lot of women on LHC say they can do French Twists fairly early, but I find French Twists are very prone to failure due to slippery hair. I can see how it *should* work in theory, but in practice? No way. Same for the Peacock Twist variant.

The Lazy Wrap, Pencil, Artemis and Nautilus buns are all pretty similar in structure, and a lot of LHC members find that with a hair stick, these are the first buns they can do. Again, slippery hair strikes, and I have to wait til BSL for these to even begin to be possible.

darklyndsea
August 8th, 2011, 04:36 AM
Torrin Paige has pretty thick hair. Check out her videos. She has a lot of styling ones and her explanations are really clear

ETA: I have to highlight that there are certain buns which iii's still cannot do at a certain length because of our thickness. ii's can probably do a proper lazy wrap bun at APL-BSL but I could only do mine around MBL. So sometimes you just need a bit more length for certain styles or modify it a certain way
...Are you psychic? I was actually trying to figure out the LWB (and I think I succeeded, a few minutes ago! :cheese:). I'm maybe at MBL (I'm not too clear where that is...between BSL and Waist?), and yeah, wouldn't have worked if my hair was shorter.

Sundial
August 8th, 2011, 04:57 AM
What torrilin said about iii being a broad category is true! Sometimes I make the mistake of offering solutions without first asking the original posters for their ponytail circumference because I forget that iii encompasses 4" and above :o

darklyndsea the LWB is one of the easier and more flexible buns when you are just starting out :D MBL is between BSL and waist. I had to modify mine slightly to make it work but I'm glad you got that one figured out!

Just don't worry too much if you can't do certain buns at your current length because it is likely to be an issue with hair thickness. If you like, you can actually practice on half ups and see if you can get those buns right. ;) helps to practice your technique while you're still growing into the bun. That's what I usually do if I can't seem to get the buns to work on my full length - it's the best way for me to test out if it's a length issue or a user error ;)

Alaia
August 8th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Just don't worry too much if you can't do certain buns at your current length because it is likely to be an issue with hair thickness. If you like, you can actually practice on half ups and see if you can get those buns right. ;) helps to practice your technique while you're still growing into the bun. That's what I usually do if I can't seem to get the buns to work on my full length - it's the best way for me to test out if it's a length issue or a user error ;)

This! I still can't do a LWB and I'm past waist (yeah the stats by the side of this post are probably wrong, have to remember to re-measure). I can just do a cinnabun, but anything else, no chance.

It is frustrating but sectioning your hair and doing it like that really helps (for example with one braid, I can't do a braided bun, but with two, I just about can!).

Sundial
August 8th, 2011, 05:55 AM
This! I still can't do a LWB and I'm past waist (yeah the stats by the side of this post are probably wrong, have to remember to re-measure). I can just do a cinnabun, but anything else, no chance.

It is frustrating but sectioning your hair and doing it like that really helps (for example with one braid, I can't do a braided bun, but with two, I just about can!).

Alaia I see that you have a Ficcare. Have you seen this YouTube video??

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=O9PbnpqsnnM I manage to do a LWB on mine when I wrap around 1 finger like she did the the video

Alaia
August 8th, 2011, 05:59 AM
Alaia I see that you have a Ficcare. Have you seen this YouTube video??

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=O9PbnpqsnnM I manage to do a LWB on mine when I wrap around 1 finger like she did the the video

Hmmm I have attempted to secure mine with one of my ficcares before when my hair was TB and it didn't work. Maybe it will now I have shorter hair. I haven't seen that video before, though. Thank you!

:lol: I'm going to try it at home with the very same ficcare used in that video.

darklyndsea
August 8th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Half ups are really hard for me to do because my hair is...clingy's the wrong word, because it's not staticky which is what I think of when I say clingy, but it's the best way to describe it that I can think of...when I section my hair (or other people section my hair), there are always strands of hair that randomly change sections, no matter how careful I am and even when it's something simple like a bun. Makes my half ups difficult because extra hair always tries to join in at random points in the process. But for practice, that's a good idea. Maybe I'll even figure out how to fix that problem! :D Of course, then I get it to work that way, try to get it to work with all of my hair, and go "what??" Like, with the LWB, I couldn't figure out how to get my hair to fit between my index and middle fingers twice, because my hair almost reaches to the ends of my fingers when it's only in there once! I'm still not sure what I ended up doing.

Since I'm used to cinnabuns, the LWB feels kind of strange: kind of loose but secure. It's staying up, so I assume that's how it's supposed to feel...?

My ponytail circumference is 5". I think that the next hair issue I'm going to have to tackle is going to be finding sturdier sticks. So many of these styles require you to reverse the stick completely, and with my hair, no matter how careful I am, I keep snapping them. Well, at least Christmas is coming up.

Aveyronnaise
August 8th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Half ups are really hard for me to do because my hair is...clingy's the wrong word, because it's not staticky which is what I think of when I say clingy, but it's the best way to describe it that I can think of...when I section my hair (or other people section my hair), there are always strands of hair that randomly change sections, no matter how careful I am and even when it's something simple like a bun. Makes my half ups difficult because extra hair always tries to join in at random points in the process. But for practice, that's a good idea. Maybe I'll even figure out how to fix that problem! :D Of course, then I get it to work that way, try to get it to work with all of my hair, and go "what??" Like, with the LWB, I couldn't figure out how to get my hair to fit between my index and middle fingers twice, because my hair almost reaches to the ends of my fingers when it's only in there once! I'm still not sure what I ended up doing.

You know what I just read this again and you are talking about reverse buns which I don't have the length for yet so i don't know if my advice really applies. Derrrrrrrrrr
Since I'm used to cinnabuns, the LWB feels kind of strange: kind of loose but secure. It's staying up, so I assume that's how it's supposed to feel...?

My ponytail circumference is 5". I think that the next hair issue I'm going to have to tackle is going to be finding sturdier sticks. So many of these styles require you to reverse the stick completely, and with my hair, no matter how careful I am, I keep snapping them. Well, at least Christmas is coming up.
I have very thick, heavy hair also (5 something with bangs) , and I find technique is more important that sturdiness of stick . What I do is just , this is hard to explain in words, I sort of very gently get the stick to the limit of what it will do then back down to a lesser amount of pressure. Sometimes it takes a few tries but I haven't broken a stick yet and some of my sticks are actually quite skinny.
I wish I could explain better , also if you weave the stick in it helps to not break the stick too. You shouldn't ever be forcing something to the point of it having to break , it took me a while to find the balance. Good Luck !

Phalaenopsis
August 8th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Someone who is 4"/10cm is not going to have anywhere *near* the difficulties that someone with a 6"/12.5cm circumference will.
Yes we do.

Madora
August 8th, 2011, 08:31 AM
I had very thick, long hair back in the 90s and always found that sectioning my hair for buns or braids helped distribute the weight, plus it was much easier creating the style itself.

Of course sectioning does not lend itself to ALL styles, but folks with thick hair will find it easier styling their tresses if they do it by sectioning.

Of course your hair should always be detangled first (with a comb) before you tackle any kind of style!

Good luck!