PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo, for how long can I go on?

CurlAhead
August 7th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Okay. Here we go. Complaining again. My ends are super dry, and that makes them look crunchy and just yucky. But the problem is that is doesn't help to cut (Oh my gosh, I am FINALLY realizing that, a bit too late, yes, but what can you do). Silicones don't help either. So my only option is now going back to the CO method. But here is my problem:
I have recently bought A LOT (and I mean a lot) of products containing silicones, and it wasn't cheap so throwing it away is not an option :(
How long do you think I can go on with sulfate-shampoo and silicones before my hair starts to break? I currently don't have much split ends, from what I can see, but I have damage. Like, that type of damage when the hairs get a little thicker at the ends, or where it is like all crooked. But when I cut it, it feels good for about a day and then IT COMES BACK! So I am guessing that my ends (or my whole hair) is just really really dry. But I don't know how to moisture it while using cones? I didn't even know how to moisture it when I was on the CO method. :rolleyes:

pepperminttea
August 7th, 2011, 06:19 PM
It would take longer to use them up, but you could do alternate washes? One wash with silicones and sulphates, the other with conditioner only. :)

If that fails, is there anyone else in the house or nearby who'd appreciate the products at a knock-down price? Or if most are unopened, what about taking them back to the store for a refund?

Carolyn
August 7th, 2011, 06:28 PM
I agree with what pepperminttea said. I've done something similar for years and it's worked well for me. When the cones start to build up, all you have to do is use a clarifying shampoo and you are back at square one. Moisturize really well and then use your cones again. Your products with silicones are likely to go bad even if you don't use them up for 2 or 3 years. The key is to find a balance.

Vlientje
August 7th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Maybe you can make someone else happy with them? Or sell them at a forum filled with non-LHC-females :D

CurlAhead
August 7th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Thank you for the answers. I just went through my family's products as well (we kinda share), and.. I can honestly say that it never ended, haha. I threw away at least 7 products with mineral oil in it (NEVER putting that in my hair, and I am not letting anyone in my family destroy their hair with it). And after that I took about 5 different conditioners and mixed a big amount of every conditioner into a big deep conditioner. Yes, I AM going to be done with all this at the end of this month, haha. :D

Vlientje
August 7th, 2011, 07:49 PM
What's wrong with mineral oil? I don't know it, but it sounds so good :o

CurlAhead
August 8th, 2011, 02:56 PM

From what I have heard/read, it suffocates the hair, and it can even "mess up your scalp", and prevent your hair from growing. And you can also get problem with the pH-balance. (I don't know if I explained it right in English)

gthlvrmx
August 8th, 2011, 05:06 PM
That stuff builds up so fast on hair and does not come off easily at all, it easily starts damaging your hair, it's bad (experience).

I suggest clarifying because of the cones and see how your hair FEELS after that. You do have M/C hair, maybe your hair just feels naturally bumpy, my mother and i get those coarse bumpy hairs that never feel smooth because they are just thicker.

If you have hard water(its best to check), try club soda, it causes rough ends, dryness, prevents moisture from entering the hair strands, and creates this dull lanky look, it literally weighs your hair down and can damage your hair. That's why mineral oil is not a suggested oil to use. Club soda will help break those mineral bonds.

Maybe try replacing your conditioner to cone free like the suave natural lines or garnier triple nutrition(just for example) and just oil your hair lightly diluted in conditioner as a leave in with EVOO or an oil of your choice, works the same as a cone. Cones are just synthetic oils except they are usually not soluble in water and with conditioner as natural oils are. For many curlies including myself, CO has benefitted my hair greatly and sealing my hair with EVOO. When i had mineral build up, oiling just made my hair crunchier and drier but now my hair stays super soft and moisturized for a long time.
here's a map for hard water just in case.
http://www.henrylahore.com/rv/images2/hard%20water.jpg

Chetanlaiho
August 8th, 2011, 05:33 PM
That stuff builds up so fast on hair and does not come off easily at all, it easily starts damaging your hair, it's bad (experience).

Maybe try replacing your conditioner to cone free like the suave natural lines or garnier triple nutrition(just for example)

Butting in here, but I thought Garnier triple nutrition actually had mineral oil in it?

RitaPG
August 8th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Before you throw it all away, maybe you can go to the swap board and see if someone likes those products? A lot of people here use cones and sls shampoo, maybe they can put them to use, or trade for something you may like?

CurlAhead
August 8th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Thanx again for the answers. I started with the CO-method again, I will not throw the silicone-products away, but I will not use them either. Not for now. Maybe my sister can use them, she uses silicones. About the swap-part, I don't live in the States so just shipping will probably cost more than the products.

I actually bought the triple-nutririon conditioner today, what a coincident. Here are the ingredients:

Garnier Fructis Strengthening Conditioner, Nutri-Repair Triple Nutrition

Aqua, Cetearyl alcohol, Eleaeis guineensis oil/Palm Oil, Behentrimonium Chloride, CI 19140, CI 15985, Niacinamide, Saccharum Officinarum Extract, Stearamidoropyl Dimethylamine, Olea Europea Oil, Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, Limonene, Camellia Sinensis Extract, Linalool, Benzyl Salicylate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Pyrus Malus Extract, Pyridoxine HCI, Persea Gratssima Oil, Butyrospermum, Parkii Butter, Citric Acid, Butyllphrnyl Methylpropional, Lemon Peel Extract, Hexyl Cinnamal, Glycerin, Parfum

I am NOT a fan of their tiny size on the ingredientslist.

swearnsue
August 8th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Just a thought, if you have shampoo that may be hurting your hair you can use it to clean the toilet. I know that sounds funny but that's what I do with soaps or shampoo that I don't like and that way I don't feel like I'm wasting money. It's that stupid brush that really cleans the toilet anyway and with the shampoo it will smell good!

Flossy
August 8th, 2011, 11:48 PM
I put shampoo I don't like in the bath with my boys to make bubbles. You could use it for body wash, or shave your legs with the conditioner that you don't like. You can even put conditioner in the wash instead of fabric softener. It's probably not the most cost efficient way to use it up, but it won't feel like wasting it.

If you want to use it in your hair, I agree with the others, alternate. I would say dilute the 'poo, but that will take even longer to use up!