PDA

View Full Version : wondering if maybe my hair hates protein

archel
August 7th, 2011, 03:10 PM
So, in order to try and stop the rampant breakage I bought some stuff from Rusk called Cure, a spray in protein treatment that you rinse out and then condition afterwards. It has no cones or anything nasty in it so I thought I'd give it a go. My hair feels a tad rougher when I use it. I'm not sure if I'm getting any strengthening out of it. It was only $3 at Marshall's, should I swap or chuck it or maybe use it less often or something?

Perhaps protein is not the key to strengthening in my case? :confused:

Mairéad
August 7th, 2011, 03:23 PM
I think the wavier and curlier hair types tend to not like a lot of protein. I've always felt that there was no need to put protein in my hair unless it absolutely needed it. I haven't had a gummy feeling to my hair in about 3 years, hence, I haven't used protein in 3 years. And, my hair doesn't even rebel against protein. It just doesn't need it.

Even if one uses protein treatments, it shouldn't be frequently.

archel
August 7th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Ya know, I should probably swap it to someone who's hair really needs the protein. I got such a good deal on it and it's a nice product for someone who actually needs it, I bet! I am going to stick to the deep moisture treatments and ditch the protein and see how that goes.

Alvrodul
August 7th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Maybe, maybe not - does your hair have enough moisture? If it doesn't, that could cause it to react badly to the protein - your aim should be to achieve the proper balance between moisture and protein.
Then again, your hair may not like protein.
Or it may not like that particular product.

archel
August 7th, 2011, 04:13 PM
The length of my hair is always super thirsty. Perhaps I should only use the protein once a week right before my SMT? Then I would hopefully have enough moisture and the protein could maybe work better. Hrm...still experimenting for the perfect regimen.

spidermom
August 7th, 2011, 04:18 PM
I've heard that it's good practice to follow a protein treatment with a moisture treatment. I get deep treatments a couple of times a year with Joico KPak Reconstructor; it provides both protein and moisture. It makes my hair smooth and shiny like glass.

archel
August 7th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Ok, I'll try it that way before I give up on it. Thanks!!

jojo
August 7th, 2011, 04:39 PM
I have wavy hair my hair likes protein but only every couple of months. I too have thirsty hair as my hair is on the dry side of normal, which again is normal in wavy/curly types.

Sundial
August 8th, 2011, 01:06 AM
My hair breaks when I get too much protein. I didn't realize that protein was at the top of the conditioner I happened to be using at that time and I only realized there was something wrong when I started finding broken bits of hair everywhere.

Your hair could just be lacking in moisture. I think hair that lacks protein tend to stretch when wet. Too much protein could cause a buildup and make your hair seem velcroey.