PDA

View Full Version : Unhealthy hair?

Vlientje
August 7th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Hi everyone!

I have a question regarding how my hair is doing.. I have a LOT of shorter hairs, like when I look down I can already see 50 of them in a second, so there must be hundreds. Is this normal, like are these new hairs? Or are those just broken hairs?

And if those are broken hairs, what should I do to prevent this in the future?
I already ordered a Tangle teezer, I heard those don't break the hair that much.

But I don't know much about what kind of treatments I need, there are SO MANY things on here that I kind of got lost and don't know what to try first :')

I tried to take a picture of it, left it very big to you can see detail.
Click to see photo (http://cl.ly/0H2S1a0O3t0E081r0L1S/IMG_7857.JPG)

Alvrodul
August 7th, 2011, 09:41 AM
It is sort of hard to say from a picture, but I get the impression that there are some split ends there, so it can be a matter of damage to your hair.
Have you used heat frequently on your hair - like blowdrying on a high setting, or using flatirons? Also, how has your hair been treated generally? What kind of detangling tools have you been using? Has your hair been chemically treated?
All these things can cause damage, and damage is cumulative - and you can't get rid of it once your hair is damaged. You can only give it TLC and do your best to prevent further damage, and eventually trim it away. Things that are likely to be good for your hair is moisture (I recommend SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128)s) and oiling your hair. particularly the ends. My own hair really appreciates Nightblooming's Panacea.

Then again, your hair isn't all that bad, really. I've seen lots worse. Splits come to most of us (I did a really big S&D session yesterday and got rid of a ton of splits!)

kouran
August 7th, 2011, 09:43 AM
My individual new hairs have tapered ends, only when I trimm them they get thicker ends, like those in your pic...so I don't think that's new growth, it seems to me layered hair, but I'm no expert in this. :shrug:

kouran
August 7th, 2011, 09:46 AM
It is sort of hard to say from a picture, but I get the impression that there are some split ends there, so it can be a matter of damage to your hair.

I agree, there are definitely some ends with white dots in there, but those are easily removed...

Aud200
August 7th, 2011, 09:53 AM
The shorter hairs are probably a combination of some breakage, some newer hairs, and potentially the result of a hairstylist "thinning out" your hair..

As for the third one-I had a chin length bob that "poofed" out maybe 4 years back and hated it, so I went back and got my hairdresser to fix it. She thinned my hair out by taking scissors and literally cutting hairs shorter so that there would be less volume. The strategy does work, but you get that result. So I don't know if that could possibly be part of your problem.

Otherwise, you can't really help the new hairs thing. (As far as I know..:)) As for breakage, you could try experimenting with CO or going sulfate-free (I don't know what your current routine is) b/c those are supposed to be gentler on hairs.

Looking into wide tooth combs and consciously brushing/combing correctly will also help you minimize breakage. And depending on where this cluster of breakage is, it could be due to styling with a hair tie, like where you put your pony tail. Repetitive styling causes breakage. Other members use pins and clips instead of hair ties since they are more hair-friendly! Or just try to switch up where you put the hair tie: high pony, low pony, braid, braid with a long portion that is unbraided, etc. Buns and other protective styles will help minimize damage done to your hair during the day, too.

To get rid of any splits on these shorter hairs, you can S&D with sharp scissors. Gradual trims will allow these hairs to grow out and "catch up" to your longer hair. Especially if you are growing your hair out to a long length, you will always have some hairs that are shorter. All you can really do is minimize breakage so that you will have fewer.

*I agree with Alvrodul*: heat styling could also cause this type of breakage. I do see some white dots and some hairs that could look split or damaged at the end-but overall your hair doesn't look too bad to me!

Vlientje
August 7th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Have you used heat frequently on your hair - like blowdrying on a high setting, or using flatirons? Also, how has your hair been treated generally? What kind of detangling tools have you been using? Has your hair been chemically treated?
All these things can cause damage, and damage is cumulative - and you can't get rid of it once your hair is damaged. You can only give it TLC and do your best to prevent further damage, and eventually trim it away. Things that are likely to be good for your hair is moisture (I recommend SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128)s) and oiling your hair. particularly the ends. My own hair really appreciates Nightblooming's Panacea.

Then again, your hair isn't all that bad, really. I've seen lots worse. Splits come to most of us (I did a really big S&D session yesterday and got rid of a ton of splits!)

First bold: Yes, I blowdry it a lot, because I don't like my waves. But I am thinking about getting a cold-aired blowdryer, I guess that would give the same effect, and I wouldn't damage my hair that much..

Second bold: Hasn't been treated at all, really. I have done some masks in the past, but not on a regular base. I just washed it with cone/sls-shampoo. I knew it was bad, but I just couldn't throw them away. xD I am now washing with Yes To Tomatoes, which is SLS and conefree, I guess that's already a good step!

Third bold: I just used a cheap brush, paid 1 euro for it. Something like this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/klauspost/92782973/) with the little thingies on top of each pin. So I guess buying a Tangle Teezer was a good idea too. I have been reading about BBB, but I am not sure if those things are able to get my very tangly hair tetangled!

Fourth bold: Yes. For 3 years. I have colored my whole head each time, in orange. I also had it straightened to get my waves out. (which didn't do anything actually, wtf.) Then last year, I wanted curls. So I got that. I ALSO colored it brown then. After a while I got sick of it, so I straightened it AGAIN. And then colored it red again.
(Now I am done typing this I am amazed I still have hair... xD)

I have had layers, a really loooong time ago, so I don't think that's it.. But well, they are quite low, so maybe those still are layers, wow. So ehm, easily removed? How? :o With S&D? Can I do that with just normal scissors?

spidermom
August 7th, 2011, 09:59 AM
It's probably a combination. I've got thousands of shorter, newer hairs; mos of us do. But some are broken off hairs. I know because I hear them snap sometimes when I'm combing or brushing. Doh!

Vlientje
August 7th, 2011, 10:05 AM
*gonna do the bold thing again xD*

The shorter hairs are probably a combination of some breakage, some newer hairs, and potentially the result of a hairstylist "thinning out" your hair..

As for the third one-I had a chin length bob that "poofed" out maybe 4 years back and hated it, so I went back and got my hairdresser to fix it. She thinned my hair out by taking scissors and literally cutting hairs shorter so that there would be less volume. The strategy does work, but you get that result. So I don't know if that could possibly be part of your problem.

Otherwise, you can't really help the new hairs thing. (As far as I know..:)) As for breakage, you could try experimenting with CO or going sulfate-free (I don't know what your current routine is) b/c those are supposed to be gentler on hairs.

Looking into wide tooth combs and consciously brushing/combing correctly will also help you minimize breakage. And depending on where this cluster of breakage is, it could be due to styling with a hair tie, like where you put your pony tail. Repetitive styling causes breakage. Other members use pins and clips instead of hair ties since they are more hair-friendly! Or just try to switch up where you put the hair tie: high pony, low pony, braid, braid with a long portion that is unbraided, etc. Buns and other protective styles will help minimize damage done to your hair during the day, too.

To get rid of any splits on these shorter hairs, you can S&D with sharp scissors. Gradual trims will allow these hairs to grow out and "catch up" to your longer hair. Especially if you are growing your hair out to a long length, you will always have some hairs that are shorter. All you can really do is minimize breakage so that you will have fewer.

*I agree with Alvrodul*: heat styling could also cause this type of breakage. I do see some white dots and some hairs that could look split or damaged at the end-but overall your hair doesn't look too bad to me!

First bold: Now you mention it. I think I might've had that!! I am not 100% sure, but I've said *yeah sure* to so many things, and I always hated having so many hair, that this certainly could've happened!

Second bold: CO is something I've been reading about a lot on here, I got really curious about it and am planning to try it for SURE! I still don't fully understand it, but I'll just spend a few hours in the CO-thread :D

Third bold: Uhm, this might sound so stupid. But, how do I brush correctly? I usually start at the bottom and work my way up. That's it.. Should I do more?

Fourth bold: Hmmm. I often wair my hair in a ponytail when I am at home, never when I leave the house. *mumbles something about big ears* But. I am 80% of my time at home, and the tie is always at the same spot. Omg, thank you for pointing that out, I have enough pins that could replece the tie! *takes tie out right now*

Will try the S&D for sure! :D If I find the right scissors :P

Safira
August 7th, 2011, 10:05 AM
I really think that your hair is beautiful.

I had very damaged hair before, and henna, panacea and oiling has helped a lot. Maybe you should try too.

Vlientje
August 7th, 2011, 10:06 AM
It's probably a combination. I've got thousands of shorter, newer hairs; mos of us do. But some are broken off hairs. I know because I hear them snap sometimes when I'm combing or brushing. Doh!

Yesss me too! And when I brush when my hair is wet, I feel them stretch & *toing* break! I always feel bad when that happens xD

And ohyeah, about the SMT, I just tried that. It doesn't feel that awesome, so I am going to try it without honey next time..

Alvrodul
August 7th, 2011, 10:07 AM
First bold: Yes, I blowdry it a lot, because I don't like my waves. But I am thinking about getting a cold-aired blowdryer, I guess that would give the same effect, and I wouldn't damage my hair that much..

Second bold: Hasn't been treated at all, really. I have done some masks in the past, but not on a regular base. I just washed it with cone/sls-shampoo. I knew it was bad, but I just couldn't throw them away. xD I am now washing with Yes To Tomatoes, which is SLS and conefree, I guess that's already a good step!

Third bold: I just used a cheap brush, paid 1 euro for it. Something like this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/klauspost/92782973/) with the little thingies on top of each pin. So I guess buying a Tangle Teezer was a good idea too. I have been reading about BBB, but I am not sure if those things are able to get my very tangly hair tetangled!

Fourth bold: Yes. For 3 years. I have colored my whole head each time, in orange. I also had it straightened to get my waves out. (which didn't do anything actually, wtf.) Then last year, I wanted curls. So I got that. I ALSO colored it brown then. After a while I got sick of it, so I straightened it AGAIN. And then colored it red again.
(Now I am done typing this I am amazed I still have hair... xD)

I have had layers, a really loooong time ago, so I don't think that's it.. But well, they are quite low, so maybe those still are layers, wow. So ehm, easily removed? How? :o With S&D? Can I do that with just normal scissors?
Ouch - the kind of brush you linked to can do quite a bit of damage - my own hair still has a lot of damage from bad detangling tools, but at least I am now rid of my old chemical damage from the trimmings this spring and summer!
I got rid of all my old, bad brushes and combs and invested in some good seamless combs - much better for my hair! I also have a Tangle Teezer and a couple of BBBs (don't use the latter much, though.) I can definitely feel the difference in my hair from those better detangling tools!:D
S&D means Search and Destroy - for this you need a good pair of scissors that you will use only for hair. Then you take a small section of your hair, go through it, and snip off any split ends you see. Then go on to the next section.
You won't get them all, but if you do sessions fairly regularly, you should be able to get those splits under control

Vlientje
August 7th, 2011, 10:07 AM
I really think that your hair is beautiful.

I had very damaged hair before, and henna, panacea and oiling has helped a lot. Maybe you should try too.
I have never heard of that in my life xD Off to find a thread about it :D I saw the word in this thread once already! *must learn about it*

kouran
August 7th, 2011, 10:08 AM

Yes, trimm just the white tip off. Are the normal scissors like the ones you use to cut paper and other stuff?? I would recommend to buy a scissor just for your hair. I bought mine in a hairdresser's shop.

Vlientje
August 7th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Ouch - the kind of brush you linked to can do quite a bit of damage - my own hair still has a lot of damage from bad detangling tools, but at least I am now rid of my old chemical damage from the trimmings this spring and summer!
I got rid of all my old, bad brushes and combs and invested in some good seamless combs - much better for my hair! I also have a Tangle Teezer and a couple of BBBs (don't use the latter much, though.) I can definitely feel the difference in my hair from those better detangling tools!:D
S&D means Search and Destroy - for this you need a good pair of scissors that you will use only for hair. Then you take a small section of your hair, go through it, and snip off any split ends you see. Then go on to the next section.
You won't get them all, but if you do sessions fairly regularly, you should be able to get those splits under control
Oh, well, I already had a little suspicion that this was not really the best brush out there. I can't wait to try my TT (should be here tomorrow!) and see what it does. And I can't wait to see what this new tool will do to my hair :D LHC is already saving my hair and I (actively) got here last week!

Oh, I got a pro-scissors for hair at home, so I won't start S&D with this kitchen-scissors I found here! :P Thanks xD
I have tried S&D before though, but I got discouraged cause there are SO many of them. But I will try again and just keep doing it every few days. And just accept that I can't get all of them :P