PDA

View Full Version : Is deposit-only dye bad for hair?

furnival
August 7th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Hi everybody, I've been dying my hair a deep purply-red colour with La Riche Directions dye, and am wondering if it has any bad effects on the hair, especially if I keep re-dying it every few weeks. It isn't permanent or anything, just a pot of scary pink goop that stains everything in a mile radius. It actually seems to make my hair feel really nice after I've dyed it, but I'm slightly paranoid about the effects of long-term use. Does anyone have any experience with this or similar dyes? Cheers..

AmandaPanda
August 7th, 2011, 09:58 AM
I've been using directions turquoise and special effects cupcake pink on my bangs (both diluted with conditioner). Of course i have to bleach the hair first, but the dye itself is not damaging. There is no ammonia or peroxide in the dye. It's basically like a color conditioner.

spidermom
August 7th, 2011, 10:07 AM
I've used Punky deposit-only dye and found it to be wonderfully conditioning.

BelleBot
August 7th, 2011, 10:28 AM
I use Directions, never had any problems. As far as I'm aware it's just conditioner that stains. Not damaging at all if used on its own. :)

furnival
August 7th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Excellent. That's just what I wanted to hear! :D

maborosi
August 7th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Deposit-only dyes are not bad for the hair, because they don't life the cuticle at all.

I can't stand having to dye every week, though. But I like how they make my hair feel!

~maborosi~

Signe
August 7th, 2011, 11:55 AM
oooh furnival i was going to try out a purply-red when i hit waist...pics? =)

RockyChristine
August 7th, 2011, 12:46 PM
That's good to know. I'm considering using Manic Panic over unbleached dark brown hair to give a color sheen, just hoping that it wouldn't cause chemical damage.

furnival
August 7th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Argh... I'm trying to change my avatar but I can't get it to stand up straight...

Sunshineliz
August 7th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Just curious--do the deposit-only dyes come out completely?

faerykitty13
August 7th, 2011, 01:05 PM
I used manic panic pillar box red on strawberry blonde hair, it made my hair sooo soft! But I did not like the bright unnatural red on me! THANK GOODNESS IT FADED!!

ilovelonghair
August 7th, 2011, 01:15 PM
My Manic Panic Vampire Red took quite a while to come out. It wasn't red it was more to the cherry red/purple side and I wasn't too happy with that. But one of my friends is now the happy owner of the barely used tub of Manic Panic and I am sure if will look great on her.

Is it possible to dye hair brown temorary with Manic Panic? Over henna?

SoulOfTheSea
August 7th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Nope they do no damage at all! Manic Panic left the streak I dyed nice and soft and shiny! The one thing that could damage your hair, though, is when you comb the color through your hair, which could snap and break your hair.

furnival
August 7th, 2011, 01:16 PM

Hmmm... I never really thought about this. Don't they? :suspect:

furnival
August 7th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Nope they do no damage at all! Manic Panic left the streak I dyed nice and soft and shiny! The one thing that could damage your hair, though, is when you comb the color through your hair, which could snap and break your hair.

Yes I thought combing it through sounded dodgy so I just squish it into my hair with rubber gloves on. My fingers still go purple for some strange reason.

SoulOfTheSea
August 7th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Yes I thought combing it through sounded dodgy so I just squish it into my hair with rubber gloves on. My fingers still go purple for some strange reason.

How long does the dye stay in by just squishing it in? :hmm:

Dark Queen
August 7th, 2011, 05:08 PM

Yes, I read about this in another thread somewhere. I've been meaning to pick up some Manic Panic in the darkest black they have, just to clean up my ends (sun-faded to a weird mousy brown). I have a friend who does the same thing with rubber gloves and has no problem at all with damage to the hair.

pink.sara
August 7th, 2011, 05:14 PM
I've never bothered combing it through, I just squidge it! And it stays on my bleached streak anywhere from 2-8 weeks before needing to be recoloured (depending on the shade) I find deep reds and bright fushia pink the longest lasting, White, blue and turquoise fade fastest. And over bleach it may never fully wash out but on my natural hair it's gone in a few months.
I love veggie dyes and always have a few different colours hanging around :)

McFearless
August 8th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Your hair colour is absolutely gorgeous!

Kyla
August 8th, 2011, 12:09 AM
@The OP: If that deep purpley color is the same as the one in your avatar, it's absolutely gorgeous! :)

furnival
August 8th, 2011, 06:08 AM
How long does the dye stay in by just squishing it in? :hmm:
I don't think there would be much difference between combing and squishing. I imagine that, done thoroughly, they would both have the same effect- I reckon they only recommend combing it through because it's a good way to spread the dye evenly.
It fades fairly fast on me- after about 3 or 4 CO-washes it looks slightly duller, but somehow the repeated applications seem to be building up and the colour is getting steadily deeper.

ETA: Cheers, McFearless and Kyla! :)

Ligeia_13
August 8th, 2011, 06:13 AM
^ I've heard it doesn't stay but I had Directions Altantic blue in my bleached fringe and after a couple of months, it still hadn't completely gone :/ it was a permanent yucky turquoise shade. So I've nad to dye it back to my natural colour permanently, because the upkeep was too expensive :D

Sunshineliz
August 8th, 2011, 06:49 AM
Hmmm... I never really thought about this. Don't they? :suspect:

^ I've heard it doesn't stay but I had Directions Altantic blue in my bleached fringe and after a couple of months, it still hadn't completely gone :/ it was a permanent yucky turquoise shade. So I've nad to dye it back to my natural colour permanently, because the upkeep was too expensive :D

This is why I asked. I might want to try something temporarily for fun, but not if it never goes away and I either have to bleach it out or grow it out.

Couldn't find out at the Manic Panic website either. Most people were concerned about making it last longer, and the only thing it said was if you want to get it out completely or faster you should bleach it. The wording wasn't clear whether that was the ONLY way it came out totally.

BTW: furnival your color is very cute!

Rini
August 8th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Hey there. I have written an article on deposit-only dyes. You can go to it from the link in my sig.

Deposit-only dyes are a great option if you want to change your colour but don't want damage or commitment....BUT some of them are not so temporary. Do some reading on the brand you plan to use (chances are, someone around here has used it).

furnival
August 8th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Hey there. I have written an article on deposit-only dyes. You can go to it from the link in my sig.

Deposit-only dyes are a great option if you want to change your colour but don't want damage or commitment....BUT some of them are not so temporary. Do some reading on the brand you plan to use (chances are, someone around here has used it).

Cheers for that! Never thought to look in the articles... Hmmm, after a bit of reading around it seems that the more damaged your hair is, the harder it is to get these dyes out completely. Folk who have dyed over bleach seem to have the most trouble. I'm hoping that, because my hair's in fairly good nick and not very porous, I'll be able to return to my original colour eventually... Maybe... Mind you, I much prefer it purpley, but it's a wee bit expensive to keep dying it every week or two... :o

Signe
August 9th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Gah! your avatar is perfect! That's exactly the colour I was looking for! Yay :cheese:

Anje
August 9th, 2011, 09:36 AM
I think for some people with very light hair, they take a very long time to come out or don't completely. You occasionally hear stories of someone with white-blond hair who dyed it red and had a bit of a pinkish tone on the dyed hair forever after.

For most people, though, it fades out over a couple of weeks or months. The turquoise streaks around my face turned green and lasted for the better part of a year, but they went away.

BlazingHeart
August 9th, 2011, 09:47 AM
How well they come out definitely depends on your hair and the color. Red-based ones tend to take longer to come out (generally speaking) and the less porous your hair is the faster it comes out.

I did a burgandy temporary dye my freshman year of college and had a slight demarkation line until I cut the color out some 2 years later, but most people didn't notice the difference after about 8 months. I could still see it, but A) it was my hair and B) I tend to notice smaller color differences than most people do. I was very glad that the color was still flattering as it faded out, though!

~Blaze

Edited to add: I have medium chestnut hair, so I'm not light haired by any means!

furnival
August 9th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Gah! your avatar is perfect! That's exactly the colour I was looking for! Yay :cheese:

It's mainly Tulip, mixed with a wee bit of Dark Tulip and a tiny bit of Violet.:)

ilovelonghair
August 9th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Yes, I read about this in another thread somewhere. I've been meaning to pick up some Manic Panic in the darkest black they have, just to clean up my ends (sun-faded to a weird mousy brown). I have a friend who does the same thing with rubber gloves and has no problem at all with damage to the hair.

Would black wash out eventually?

MonaMayfair
August 9th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I put orange Crazy Color over my henna'd hair a couple of weeks ago. It looked really good, still a natural looking orangey copper and really soft and shiny.
It did wash out quickly though.
I've bought four more bottles of the same color!

The only downside was, it was messy to apply. I used rubber gloves (which I don't bother with when I henna) so my hands were ok, but I had to scrub the bath...

Dark Queen
August 9th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Would black wash out eventually?

Probably, but then again deposit only dye is not supposed to be permanent

Signe
August 10th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Thanks Furnival for letting me know! :cheese: