PDA

View Full Version : What do you regularly do for your hair that you hate doing?

Becky9679
August 7th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Today is henndigo day for me which I loathe. It takes up at least half my day during which I can't do a great deal except lie around to stop my head dripping, I feel dirty and uncomfortable throughout, I seem to shed a really scary amount during the process (however despite my paranoia my pony circumference DOES remain the same!) and for several days after while it oxidises my hair feels dry, tangly and horrible.

The only thing that keeps me coming back is the fact that it conditions my hair so well and gives such a great colour that doesn't fade.

So, is there a haircare process that you absolutely detest but still do regularly just for the fabulous effects?

Peggy E.
August 7th, 2011, 07:13 AM
For some bizarre reason, I hate washing my hair! Well, it's actually easy to understand - it is really painful, even with using the shower chair....

And then my hair is wild and wooly for days afterwards. Just not a good thing, all-around. :o(

torrilin
August 7th, 2011, 07:14 AM
My basic theory is if it hurts, I don't do it.

Mairéad
August 7th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Touching up my roots with henna. I'm doing a new mixture that won't be a far cry from my natural color, so maybe it will blend better giving me more chances to get away with a "spot" in the back of my head.

But otherwise, how the heck to people that?! I'm doing a full head application next Wednesday so that won't be bad. I've gotten some tips here so I'm going into my next root touch up (who knows when that is?) with an optimistic face on.

Sundial
August 7th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Deep treatments!! It's so boring and messy! My neck and shoulders ache from the weight of wet hair. I absolutely detest it but will still put up with it because I have to :rolleyes:

Cardinal
August 7th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Deep conditioning. I hate sitting around with a plastic cap on my head, while it feels itchy and goopy.

Herb
August 7th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Washing it regularly. And I'm about due for another clarifying. :S

mrs_coffee
August 7th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Henna. I love the results and the lovely things it does for my hair, but the process of sitting around for four hours with that goop on my head is loathsome.

americanjan1
August 7th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Trimming. I hate getting it trimmed. I'm always freaked out that there will be too much cut off.

Yame
August 7th, 2011, 08:44 AM
I don't think there is anything that I do regularly (or even occasionally) for my hair that I hate doing...

oddbeat
August 7th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Letting it airdry. I miss my blowdryer so much! I hate sitting around with a wet head and having it drip all over me. Plus now I have to plan my washes so that it has plenty of time to dry before I step out the door. It's only been three weeks though - maybe I'll get used to it.

BohoClassic
August 7th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Rinsing out oil...:(

insomniac-uk
August 7th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Hennna, I hate doing it but I hate my white hairs more.

bookworm_10
August 7th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Rinsing out oil...:(

I second that :(

alyanna
August 7th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Rinsing after a CO wash :(

As much as I love the effect that CO has on my hair, I dread the rinsing and rubbing of the scalp to get the conditioner out. I hate it!

Loreley
August 7th, 2011, 09:31 AM
I hate washing frequently because of the drying process. I hate my hair when it's wet, hate combing it and waiting many hours till it dries. :mad:

Toof
August 7th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Washing it. Brushing it. Henna'ing it. Braiding it. Trimming it. Dealing with it....

Why do I have long hair again? :silly:

anodyne_ame
August 7th, 2011, 09:36 AM
I hate washing my hair, the shedding (although completely normal) always freaks me out because I keep thinking there's so much hair falling out. I also dislike my hair when it's wet, it's heavy and clings everywhere.

MidnightStar
August 7th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Detangling my wet hair. I have a Mason Pearson wide tooth comb, which makes it easier...but it would be so much easier if I just ripped that comb right through the mess! I sometimes think it takes me longer to detangle than it does to actually wash/CO/whatever! :(
Anything that requires a shower cap + turbie twister to be on my head for an extended period of time. It gets itchy and annoying fast.
I'm going to venture into the world of 2 step henna/indigo, I have a feeling I'll hate doing that too.
But hey - if it makes my hair look great, it's worth it! :p

spidermom
August 7th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I don't like washing mine in cold weather because then I'm got wet hair hanging all over me for hours.

islandboo
August 7th, 2011, 10:08 AM
I don't think I hate doing anything (otherwise I wouldn't do it!) but I find S&D to be very boring and I am ready to be done well before I actually am finished. I would absolutely hate doing a cold water final rinse in winter but because of that I just don't do it - my summer hair is just shinier than my winter hair and I deal, LOL. (I am always miserably cold in winter because I live with a bunch of uber-warm-blooded folks who are comfortable at temps that freeze me, and it is cheaper to keep the house on the cool side)

Crysta
August 7th, 2011, 10:10 AM
I wouldn't say hate - but I find french plaiting my hair REALLY annoying, and it hurts my arms, but it's good for me to sleep in.

Chetanlaiho
August 7th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Washing it, the whole process including drying etc just takes too long! And recently I've been suffering headaches (a first for me) so it's even worse.

Oh and oiling my scalp, so much hair comes out =( (Actually that's true for washing too).

Other than that I generally enjoy taking care of my hair.

MissAlida
August 7th, 2011, 10:25 AM
I hate detangling, but I still do it because it's necessary. Otherwise it would look like a bird's nest.I use a wide tooth comb, detangle from tips to roots but still... No matter how gentle I try to be, I still hear snaps...it annoys me alot.:(

cocoahair
August 7th, 2011, 10:25 AM
I hate using my avacado oil for a deep treatment and having to sleep in it.

Rosetta
August 7th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Oiling, especially scalp oiling - yuck!
Well, maybe hate is too strong a word, but I truly don't like the feeling of my hair or scalp with any oil in it... *shudders*

BritHair
August 7th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Dealing with my halo. During the muggy weather no matter what style, bun or braid, I will display a halo sometime thru the day and with my grays it looks a bit silly :rolleyes:

krissykins
August 7th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Washing. Styling.

I wish my hair could be magically clean and styled every morning when I woke up.

Chanterelle
August 7th, 2011, 11:08 AM
I loathe dyeing but I hate random grey hair even more. Yeah, I use conventional hair dye (I swear by Schwarzkopf Perfect Mousse - it's soooo much more convenient than "traditional" dyes) but coloring almost waist-long hair is messy and tiresome.

TrudieCat
August 7th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I hate waiting for my hair to air-dry. Sometimes I blow it dry on cooler temps to speed up the process but I hate that too, because it still takes a long time and my arms get sore.

chickpea
August 7th, 2011, 12:05 PM
2 step henna and indigo. Takes approximately 11 million hours from start to finish. Combining them as henndigo gives me reddish brown hair, not the black I'm going for so I have to do the indigo separately.

I used a demi permanent chemical dye on my roots this weekend because I just didn't have the time or patience for henna + indigo.

archel
August 7th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Oddly enough, I sort of love all the weird stuff I do for my hair, even the SMTs and the henna. It's like...me time.

dRummie
August 7th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Stretching washes :o I would like nothing better than to have squeaky clean hair every day, especially since I do so enjoy doing the actual washing.

skraprchik
August 7th, 2011, 01:50 PM
I'm not in love with the nasty tasting vitamins that I take every day, but I also know that I'm not good with a consistently health diet. I hold my breath and take them every morning to make up for that.

Othala
August 7th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Simply combing it is a drag TBH. I like wearing imy hair loose and it tangles and I hate dealing with them and equally hate wearing my hair up. LOL, I'm a grumpy cow.

giuditta
August 7th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Oddly enough, I sort of love all the weird stuff I do for my hair, even the SMTs and the henna. It's like...me time.

I have the same. Henna for example is a lot of hassle and takes time, but it's me time, it's pampering myself, and making myself look good.
I don't like my body and being able to do things to have beautiful hair makes me feel better, just like polishing my nails :)

pineconejg
August 7th, 2011, 02:24 PM
I hate to wash my hair in the winter. I can't do it in the morning because it will freeze when I leave the house. I don't like to do it at night because my pillow gets all soaky. I don't like to do it in the afternoon because it will be cold and ugly. I try to do it about 1.5-2 hours before bed so it has time to dry, while I'm sitting around in my p.j.'s anyway.

pepperminttea
August 7th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I find the detangling quite relaxing if I have the time to just sit in front of the TV and do it, but trying to do it quickly in the mornings before work without creating damage... that I really find tiresome.

Cold water rinses in the winter. Ohh that's chilly. In fact, washing my hair in winter, generally. I wish humans could hibernate.

All the massaging CO needs - my arms ache for a while afterward, but I get less scalp frizzies than with shampoo.

Detangling after wearing my hair down. It takes me a while doing it gently, which doesn't normally work with the carefree mood that happens when I wear it down.

(If I had short hair, I think the list would be longer, and would mostly revolve around having to wash it daily, heat style it, constantly trim the damage away, and not being able to get it out of my face. Long hair is lovely, but it's definitely the lesser of two evils. :p )

BlazingHeart
August 7th, 2011, 02:53 PM
ACV rinses and cold chamomile tea rinses. I know the ACV improves the condition of my hair and the cold chamomile tea rinse is incredibly soothing to my scalp, but that doesn't mean I like them! I hate the smell of vinegars, and I don't tolerate cold well at all.

I'm not fond of putting my hair up, either, but that's for more than just my hair - I have to have it up to keep myself from fainting from the heat in the summer. I'd probably dislike it less if there was more I could do with it, but right now I'm wearing a peacock almost every day because I'm trying to avoid ponytail holders and I don't have enough length for buns.

~Blaze

Dragon Faery
August 7th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I hate having to keep it out of the wind in the truck when we have the windows down. (No AC in 90+ temperatures is NOT FUN!) Especially when I forget a hair tie. An hour in the car holding all my ends out of the wind is pretty painful on the arms.

Other than that, I enjoy all of my hair care. :)

Monkey962
August 7th, 2011, 02:58 PM
My method for putting monistat on is pretty annoying. I part my hair, then apply it to my finger, then spread it along the part all while working it in. Then I make another parting right next to the old one and continue the process until I've done the whole front of my scalp. Then I move onto my crown, working in a similar fashion, but top to bottom instead of left to right. Finally, I flip my hair over and work on the scalp that's left, my nape and around my ears. It is worth it however. I know for a fact that it keeps me from shedding as much or having as much dandruff, and it makes me feel like I'm gaining length overnight (even though I'm not - it just accelerates growth a bit).

Bene
August 7th, 2011, 03:13 PM
I'll try most hair stuff out, just because I like to experiment. But if I decide beforehand that it's too much effort or I'll probably hate doing it, I'm not going to do it (like henna maintenance). If I do decide to check it out, and I find that I hate doing it or it's just too much, it's not something I'll do regularly.

So, to answer the question, nothing.

mallorykay13
August 7th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Combing. As bad as it sounds. IT TAKES FOREVER.

MyKing'sQueen
August 7th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Definitely detangling after wearing it down!!! It's a pain. That's why I think I'll start detangling in the shower with lots of conditioner in and just leave it alone after that so I stop causing all that damage... Also sitting with heavy henna on my head for 4 hours but the results are well worth it!:cheese:

l0nd0nbr1dg3
August 7th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Putting oil on my scalp it feels nasty but its supposed to stimulate growth

C.H.
August 7th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Air drying. Hours and hours of wet hair sticking to me. And have to be oh so motionless and careful not to disturb the curls at all while they take their sweet time drying.

I recently started detangling my hair entirely by hand in the shower. Takes forever. Extremely tedious. This is just not easily done with curly hair. But now that I know it can be done, I feel like I have to.

MissManda
August 7th, 2011, 03:40 PM
I strongly dislike how updos look on me, but I wear them anyway because they protect my hair. I do appreciate being capable of doing them when I need to so my hair doesn't try to go all over the place when I need it out of the way.

I also hate S&D. It takes forever and the splits are such a PITA to find, plus searching through tons and tons of my fine hair is no fun.

Zesty
August 7th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Most of my hair care I enjoy. However, I don't like the aftermath of washing my hair (I feel like my hair is awful for the 3-ish hours it takes to dry, because it's sort of frizzy and unhappy while drying; when it dries fully it's beautiful, though). Ironically, the other thing I'm not wild about is stretching washes, because it makes me feel gross and frumpy. :p But neither of those are really "hate" things -- they're just not that fun.