PDA

View Full Version : Come in and help the hair stupid. I beg.

eternalknot
August 7th, 2011, 05:44 AM
I've searched, read, and have gotten side-tracked by pretties and henna :p researching the forums, but remain unsure of where to even begin this journey.

My goal is not necessarily long hair, so much as it is healthy hair near my current length. It's currently mid-back, and I'm growing out layers. The shortest layer is at my bra-strap and the longest layer is at my waist. The longer layers were razor-cut and thinned into a sharp V hem at a prior salon visit, so I have artificial fairy tale-ish ends. I don't like that look on me, but more upsetting is that the wedding I agreed to get it done for didn't last half as long as the cut and style have. In the 2 years since that cut, I've used a flat iron about 1-2 times a week to keep the ends under control :o I had never before used any curlers or irons, and I really don't like the time it takes or what it's doing to my hair.

I'm lazy about cuts/trims, but get a good 3-4" cut once every year and a half or so. It's about that time, again. What I'm not sure about is - what's a better strategy for growing out HEALTHY hair? I usually wear my hair down. I've been pretty rough-and-tumble with it, but after reading here feel compelled to actively take better care of it. These are what I see my options as being:

1. Trim the damaged ends .25-5" for now. Baby the remaining 3-4" of remaining length by wearing hair up, then cut off fairy tale endings in another year or so once I have more and healthier length to work with. That remaining 3-4" has been flat ironed for two years and isn't super damaged, but isn't super healthy either. It'll need to be cut off at some point. With this option I can put my hair up wet, and lose the hair dryer as well as the flat iron.

2. Do a 3-4" cut to remove the damaged ends as well as the fairy tale-ish ends. This takes me to a length where I can't do much with it up, so I know I'll be leaving it down most of the time. I'd likely blow dry it because I can't show up to work with wet hair left down.

Either way, my end goal is a blunt or subtle U hem somewhere midback: below bra-strap but above waist.

My current lifestyle doesn't afford me the luxury of spending too much time fussing with my hair at this point, unfortunately. I'll be better able to do that in another few years and am looking for ways to ease into the lifestyle. My first steps will be to get rid of the flat iron and either wear those ends up or trim them off. I'll also reduce or eliminate the hair dryer.

Is one option or the other better in terms of starting my LHC journey to better, healthier hair? Please help the unitiated :D.

Siiri
August 7th, 2011, 06:05 AM
I would just trim small amounts regularly to get rid of the layers and maintain your current length, and take good care of the damaged ends. Maybe you could try doing the trims yourself with Feye's self trim method? You probably have a good hairdresser that listens to you, but I have noticed that many hairdressers (not my current hairdresser though) like to give me layers even if I say I don't want them.

MissAlida
August 7th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Welcome to LHC. I'm sure you'll find your answer here. In my opinion, option 2 would leave you with healthy ends, that way no splits caused by the straightener or razor can go up the hair strands, and you will have less damage overall. This would be the better option for healthy hair, given that you stay off the hairdryer, but you would loose some lenght. If you choose to go with option 1, it will be less drastic, it would allow to wear hair up. If you like to wear it up, and really pay attention on putting your hair in an updo every day, you should be fine till your next trim, when more damage would come off. You should also try to do some S&D(search and destroy). This way you can reduce the damage, without loosing much lenght. Just take some sharp scissors and cut the split hair strands. Good luck, hope others tune in with ideas as well.:)

Charybdis
August 7th, 2011, 06:15 AM
You can totally wear your hair up with APL / BSL hair. The French braid is your friend.

Mesmerise
August 7th, 2011, 06:42 AM
It depends how attached you are to the length! From what you've said, you're not too attached to the extra length, and aren't really fussed about growing your hair too long, so I think just chopping off those last 3-4" that really annoy you is probably a good solution.

As for wearing your hair up, I found it super easy to just do a twist of some description (usually of my own design) and clipping it in place. This style worked better for me with shorter hair (with longer hair it looks weird and I sort of have to twist it up around and down...). It also takes me less than a minute to do! (Just with a clip like in my avatar pic). It looks professional enough without being too fussy...and it's super easy even on shoulder length hair! However, as your hair isn't going to be shorter than BSL either way, something like that would work.

Madora
August 7th, 2011, 07:15 AM
I'd opt for removing as much damage as possible. It is better for your hair to have that damage removed, rather than continue to have the hair grow and the damage issue not addressed. Left unattended, damaged hair will continue to deteriorate..and if there are lots of splits, then the hair will continue to split.

Also, if you are dedicated to having healthy, beautiful hair, then avoid the heating devices..no straightening, no hot curlers, curling irons.

As another poster recommended, french braiding is your friend.

Be sure and use a comb to detangle before brushing.

Wearing your hair up will protect the delicate ends and a healthy diet is a major plus.

Alvrodul
August 7th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I think, since you are not so very attached to your length, that you should primarily consider getting rid of the damaged part. And since you emphatically do not want layer. practice saying at least ten times each morning and evening, "No, thank you very much, I do not want layers!" in a firm tone.;)
I would also suggest that you start practicing a couple of simple updos until you are able to do them in your sleep - as some posters have said, the French braid is your friend. So is the Dutch braid. :D
There are also likely to be some nice buns that are quick to do, and will work for your hair, but I am afraid I don't know which ones would be best for you. Perhaps a rose bun? That is basically a rope braid that has been cinnabunned - very pretty, and secure, at least for me.

spidermom
August 7th, 2011, 10:06 AM
I vote go for the 3-4" AND start wearing your hair up. There are a few options. I liked doing a twist up the back held with a claw clip at APL (arm-pit length). Also the french twist.

islandboo
August 7th, 2011, 10:14 AM
I think wearing your hair up is the best bet - benign neglect will do wonders.

Hiriel
August 7th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Since your goal is a blunt(er) hemline, I'm inclined to say go for the 3" chop, it'll even out the hemline a lot, and get rid of as much damage as possible. And it's definitely possible to wear your hair up at BSL unless your hair is really, really thick. My hair is thick, and I could still do it.

furnival
August 7th, 2011, 11:07 AM
I reckon chop it and practice loads of different updos until you find some that work for you. My hair isn't even armpit-length but because it's fairly thin I can do all sorts with it- various stick buns (check out the articles section), french twists etc. It's taken me a bit of time to learn how to do them but after a bit of practice they're easy as owt. This way you'll get rid of the layers and look after the lovely new ends. :)

lapushka
August 7th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Depends on what you prefer. If you wear it down more often than up, then I'd go for the full 3 to 4 inch trim. If you really are going for length and want to wear it up more, then I'd trim very gradually.

Growing out damaged hair isn't easy, but it can be done. I went from chin length to now hip length with very damaged ends (almost all white dots, in some places up to 4 inches up the length). Due to several S&D sessions, those damaged ends are all gone now. I never gave up length for the damage. You don't have to either. Small trims or S&D sessions often do wonders.

archel
August 7th, 2011, 12:17 PM
APL is more versatile than you think! I didn't realize what I could do with my hair until I got suggestions here. Now I can do French, Dutch, waterfall braids, sock buns, peacock twists, French twists, and more!

Majorane
August 7th, 2011, 01:38 PM
I, too, opt for the 3-4 inch cut. I'm not even at arm pit length yet (aaaaalmost there) and there are a lot of very easy and fun/chique/EASY updo's for any occasion at this length. Youtube is your friend here, and of course this here board has a wee selection on hairdo's in case you run out of inspiration :D
I have some beack clips and a few sticks 'n forks, all cheap ones and I get a lot of comments that I always do something nice with my hair.
Good luck anyways, whatever you decide to do! :flower:

BlazingHeart
August 7th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Sounds like the bigger cut will give you everything you want, though it will make your hair shorter than you want for a little while. But as your primary goal is health, I think that makes the most sense.

~Blaze

silverjen
August 7th, 2011, 05:48 PM
It's strange that your poll has a slight majority of people advocating for the 1" trim, but so far no one's come on to say why. I voted for the small trim and wearing it up. My reasoning? There are a lot of folks here who have successfully dealt with damaged hair by maintaining at X length, and slowly trimming it out while babying the heck out of their hair. It helps if you can self-trim.

Disclaimer: I'm personally feeling trim-averse right now, which probably has a lot to do with it!

AnnaJamila
August 7th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Just take small bites and go from there, IMHO. Do some deep moisture treatments on days off and just baby it. It should bounce back within half a year or so- maybe get a small bottle of jojoba or olive oil or something to oil the ends or do a deep treatment. If you have really awful split ends take a little more "off the top" but I think in your case you'll get about the same amount of additional damage if not more by having to blowdry shorter hair. Happy growing, anyway!