PDA

View Full Version : A new look I learned on YouTube~ definitely on my list of favorite hairstyles! (pics)

arc691
August 6th, 2011, 10:36 PM
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x472/andrearcolson/My%20Smilies/gbhello6.gif

I came across this video last night, and tried it out on myself this morning.
I love this hairstyle, and so did my friends at church!
In fact, I had a short tutorial afterwards and did it on one of the ladies. She was so excited!

Here is a link to the video:

http://youtu.be/dAK4V4YJM_Q

And here are some pictures taken this morning of my version:

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x472/andrearcolson/CopyofIMGP0654.jpg

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x472/andrearcolson/CopyofIMGP0651.jpg

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x472/andrearcolson/CopyofIMGP0647.jpg

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x472/andrearcolson/CopyofIMGP0637.jpg

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x472/andrearcolson/CopyofIMGP0658.jpg

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x472/andrearcolson/CopyofIMGP0662.jpg

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x472/andrearcolson/My%20Smilies/bf-flwr-ty.gif

for looking! Have a great day!

Cowgirl16
August 6th, 2011, 10:40 PM
You are so talented in the braiding department! I am so envious of all your wonderful braid-do's :flower:

QueenJoey
August 6th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Whoa! Trip out! That looks amazing! But why do I (write) surprised? Your styles are always great, but this one is definitely special. Too bad my hair is too short :(

xoerincolleen
Whoa. Talk about intricate! That looks awesome!

Jader_Jem
looks awesome! How did your arms stand it! lol :)

MissManda
August 6th, 2011, 11:13 PM
:thudpile:

Oh my! I've never seen a style like that! I can't get over how intricate that style is! It even goes will with your top, too! :)

AnnaJamila
August 6th, 2011, 11:16 PM
With hairstyles like this, who needs push ups! :p Lol, as always, BEAUTIMUS! :)

Majorane
August 6th, 2011, 11:19 PM
You must have the upper arms of an Olympic sportsman... How long does it take you to do this updo?
It looks fabulous!!

Deemeeuh
August 6th, 2011, 11:33 PM
This is gorgeous!!

Sewas
August 7th, 2011, 12:34 AM
Just breathtaking!

jeanniet
August 7th, 2011, 02:56 AM
I couldn't do that in a million years (tutorial or not, lol), but that looks absolutely amazing in your hair!

alyanna
August 7th, 2011, 03:04 AM
With hairstyles like this, who needs push ups! :p Lol, as always, BEAUTIMUS! :)

Haha! I was gonna say something to that effect! I tried to do a french braid on myself last night, and while it turned out ok, I just don't have the arm stamina yet :D I had to stop and rest a few times :o

I really admire your talent arc! Do you mind flying over for a private lesson :p

Alaia
August 7th, 2011, 03:50 AM
Well that's extremely complicated.

Kudos!! :D

Sweetie
August 7th, 2011, 04:00 AM
This is absolutely gorgeous!!! I would never be able to do that!!!

vintage88
August 7th, 2011, 04:10 AM
wow! this is amazing :)

lizdini
August 7th, 2011, 04:20 AM
Beautiful!

lilravendark
August 7th, 2011, 04:44 AM
you are the lhc queen of the updos!!

Juanita
August 7th, 2011, 04:45 AM
Wow Stunning

CurlAhead
August 7th, 2011, 05:09 AM
How awesome!! You are really talented! :)

Dragon
August 7th, 2011, 05:17 AM
That looks cool, I think it's my favourite style I've seen on you so far even tho the others look great to :)

Navydoc_76
August 7th, 2011, 05:43 AM
It's beautiful! I love it!!

Toiréasa
August 7th, 2011, 05:58 AM
Wow I can feel the burn! My arms kill me from my little BSL dutch braid. Absolutely stunning!!!!!

MissAlida
August 7th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Woooow! Can I just thud now?:thudpile:

mrs_coffee
August 7th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Holy complicated braid! That is amazing.

Sweet Beat
August 7th, 2011, 06:33 AM
Wow! That's amazing!
The tutorial didn't show the braid in the middle so I'm kind of lost before I've even tried it xP

Octave
August 7th, 2011, 06:38 AM
*unable to close my mouth out of astonishment* :thud:

oddbeat
August 7th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Wow - that is amazing!

Peggy E.
August 7th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Well, everyone has used up all the superlatives, so I guess all I can do is FAINT!

Holy Land-a-Gumption! This is an eye-boggling, brain-blowing, heart-stopping braid if ever there was one. (Okay - I found a few more superlatives....)

I wouldn't even try it, but it is gorgeous on you. Great job!

lapushka
August 7th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Amazing! It is too bad that the tutorial starts about half-way and doesn't show you how to braid the middle section.

arc691
August 7th, 2011, 03:10 PM
You must have the upper arms of an Olympic sportsman... How long does it take you to do this updo?
It looks fabulous!!

Thank you so much! It took me about 20 minutes, I think. The braids were the easy part, it was trying to make a bun with my left-over hair on the bottom that took me longer.

Wow! That's amazing!
The tutorial didn't show the braid in the middle so I'm kind of lost before I've even tried it xP

The braid in the middle is what I call a "chain" braid. There's a girl on YouTube who does a tutorial and she calls it a snake braid. I think her name is Courtney. It looks so complicated, but it's the easiest thing. You just braid a regular English braid, not too loose and not too tight. Then when you reach near the end, you hold the middle strand with one hand and with your other hand you push the two outside strands back up to the top of your braid next to your head. You can pull the strands back down the center piece so they resemble the links of a chain, or you can leave them all bunched up like they are in this look.

Well, everyone has used up all the superlatives, so I guess all I can do is FAINT!

Holy Land-a-Gumption! This is an eye-boggling, brain-blowing, heart-stopping braid if ever there was one. (Okay - I found a few more superlatives....)

I wouldn't even try it, but it is gorgeous on you. Great job!

Wow, that is a lot of superlatives! :) Thank you so much!

Amazing! It is too bad that the tutorial starts about half-way and doesn't show you how to braid the middle section.

Hopefully my explanation above make sense; I have a thread where I posted pictures of my first chain braids. I have more explanations there, if you'd like to check it out. You can access it from my profile, just check out all the threads I've started under my Statistics.

Thanks so much, everybody! You are all so kind. I'm glad you liked this look as much as I did. :)

archel
August 7th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Ah you're lucky to have light colored hair where the intricacy is really shown off! I did a snake braid in my hair and you just can't even see it.

I just love all your posts - you have real skill!

Slinks
August 7th, 2011, 03:23 PM
arc !!! OMG .. once again a beautiful style .. :-)

Melon Collie
August 7th, 2011, 03:26 PM
looks awesome! How did your arms stand it! lol :)

That's what I was thinking. Somedays I have trouble managing a single braid.

It looks beautiful. :)

Kindredraeven
August 7th, 2011, 03:35 PM
That is awesome, LOVE to try that one!!!!!

Mrspuddinhead
August 7th, 2011, 03:41 PM
* picks jaw up of the floor* I can't even do a simple French braid. I've tried and tried. It is the bane of my existence.

Stevy
August 8th, 2011, 10:39 AM
WOW, what a show-stopper!

Merewen
August 8th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Your updos are always so gorgeous!

spidermom
August 8th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Pretty darn astonishing! Well done!

spitfire511
August 8th, 2011, 12:07 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how you get ALL of your gorgeous hair up into these styles! Beautiful!:)

CastaDiva
August 8th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Absolutely stunning!!

JuliaDancer
August 8th, 2011, 12:23 PM
I wish I could braid my hair like you can! How on earth do you do such intricate work on the back of your head??

Stub
August 8th, 2011, 12:50 PM
She says, casually, "it took me about 20 minutes" It take me 20 minutes to do double english braids on my BSL hair sometimes!!

Gorgeous, Arc. :)

Kindredraeven
August 8th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Wish I could braid my own hair like that :) It's AWESOME!!!!!!

PianoPlaye
August 8th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Hot darn, that is seriously impressive. It's inspiring. Even though I doubt I'll ever manage that myself, I can still admire it wholeheartedly & I do!

Lunnafindel
August 8th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Truly awesome. It looks exquisite. I have some questions though:
1. What, exactly did you do to make the bun? it looks complicated and in the tutorial he just leaves the hair down.
2. How do you do a perimeter braid on yourself? One normally pulls the hair back from the head, but unless you've got magic arms (I wouldn't put it past you) even you can't rotate your arms backwards...do you just do it over your shoulder and hope it's even?
3. Doesn't a chain braid hurt your hair? I tried it on mine and I could practically hear my hair screaming at being rubbed the wrong way...do you do yours more loosely? or do you just ignore it to serve a higher cause?
4. Don't you live in the tropics? how on earth do you stand the heat of all that hair on your neck?? I'd die in a minute like that, and I'm in the northern US!

You inspire me with every new style you try, (but even more if you have magic arms!) keep it up!

arc691
August 8th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Truly awesome. It looks exquisite. I have some questions though:
1. What, exactly did you do to make the bun? it looks complicated and in the tutorial he just leaves the hair down.

I tried several thing with the bun before it didn't bother me and I thought it looked okay (not lop-sided or anything like that.) When I finished braiding, I gathered my hair in a ponytail holder, then braided everything into one long English braid. I basically just wound that up into a bun and held it in place with those two big flower clips. They have teeth on the inside and I moved them around until they each were holding about half of the bun from the top as well as underneath. (Hope this makes sense!)

2. How do you do a perimeter braid on yourself? One normally pulls the hair back from the head, but unless you've got magic arms (I wouldn't put it past you) even you can't rotate your arms backwards...do you just do it over your shoulder and hope it's even?

I stood in front of my mirror, kind of at an angle, and watched myself braiding each side braid. You can actually see the braid very easily this way (I could, at least.) I just kept it pulled back loosely away from my head the whole way down, and kept gathering more hair to add to the braid until I ran out of arm length. :p

3. Doesn't a chain braid hurt your hair? I tried it on mine and I could practically hear my hair screaming at being rubbed the wrong way...do you do yours more loosely? or do you just ignore it to serve a higher cause?

You might be braiding it too tightly, I braid it about medium~ not too tight and not too loose. It doesn't bother me. And it leaves such nice ripples when you finally let it down :)

4. Don't you live in the tropics? how on earth do you stand the heat of all that hair on your neck?? I'd die in a minute like that, and I'm in the northern US!

It wasn't too bad, actually, I think the clips help keep my hair away from my neck. Usually I have my hair way up off my neck, but sometimes (like today) I have my buns lower. I guess maybe I'm used to it :confused:

You inspire me with every new style you try, (but even more if you have magic arms!) keep it up!

Aww, thanks so much! You're always so kind~ thanks for taking the time to ask these great questions! :)

I hope my answers are clear! If anyone cares to elaborate, feel free!

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x472/andrearcolson/My%20Smilies/vintage-1.jpg

racrane
August 8th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Your hair is always amazing!

Emerald88
August 8th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Even if I could figure it out, my arms would definately give out on me. You're braiding skills never cease to amaze!

Rustella
August 8th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Simply marvelous!

Starlight1986
October 14th, 2011, 03:50 PM
arc this is so incredibly beautiful on your golden hair! I love every little detail about it and how lovely you decorated it with those clips. I said it before, you're absolutely my braiding idol. :D As soon as I've become better at braiding I'm SOO going to try this.
But I guess it will look so much different on shorter and thinner hair...

akosei
October 14th, 2011, 09:42 PM
How lovely this is! It reminds me of the intricate braid the girls did for Rapunzel in the film, Tangled!

blondie9912
October 14th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Wow, I'm speechless! So beautiful

arc691
October 15th, 2011, 06:37 AM
http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy68/terryandjody/Smilies%205/EverlastingLavender.jpg

Thank you, everybody! I was surprised to see my thread from a few months ago back at the top of the page. Hmmm...I'll have to try this look again....

adiapalic
October 15th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Amazing! You do some wonderful work. I'd love to try this myself, but it takes almost 20 minutes for me to get a single french braid just right! lol

Eirene
October 15th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Wow ! This is so stunning !
I so wish I'd be able to do the same... But I think I'm going to try the chain braid somewhere in the near future :D

summergirl
October 15th, 2011, 07:54 AM
GORGEOUS! You have such stunning hair to start out with.. but I agree with everyone else.. how DO you manage to hold up your arms so long, let alone with the side (?) running braids that start at the top back of your head? Then how on earth do you see it to get it so perfectly balanced and even? Your hair is so LOOOOOOOOOONG, mine is just past waist and even just a regular french/dutch straight down the middle makes me feel like my arms are gonna fall off! I am so in love with your hair and your obvious talent and fortitude!

I watched that tutorial and have to say THANK YOU! I have been looking for something interesting, different and that allows me to get my hair back/off my face for my wedding but have the "look" of long hair down which my partner loves. THIS IS IT! Mind you, I will have someone with more patience, ability and talent then I to do it. I can do stuff like this on my 6y.o daughter though. Just no way in a million years I could ever dream of doing it on myself. Do you have any tips on how to hold your arms up long enough, see and get placement so well beyond being genetically gifted and practicing for eons?

THANK YOU, I think you are a beautiful and exceptionally talented lady! That is truly a gift!

longhairedwolf
October 15th, 2011, 12:27 PM
That's just spectacular! Wow. Good for you!

californiagirl
October 15th, 2011, 10:37 PM
My goodness! That is magnificent! You have done beautiful work. I look forward to seeing more.

Cesania
October 15th, 2011, 10:46 PM
That's really cool looking. I wish I could attempt it now but my hair isn't near long enough lol.

arc691
October 17th, 2011, 04:24 AM
http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy68/terryandjody/Smilies%204/GlitterBirdHouseThankYou.gif

Thank you, everybody! I braid while looking at myself in the mirror,
and can see my side-braids over my shoulder, if this makes sense :)

It really doesn't take that long. The longest part of this look, for me,
is the bun on the bottom. That's what takes the longest time
and the most attempts at getting it to look right...

This guy can sure braid hair, can't he? ;)

Xandergrammy
October 17th, 2011, 06:27 AM
I know you have an extra set of hands hiding somewhere under your hair- and eyes in the back of your head too. Beautiful and I'm in awe of how you can do that on your own hair. :inlove:

bluegirl
October 17th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Wow; so pretty! :) Thanks for link and mention how to do the chain/snake braid. I've been wondering how to do that. I love looking at your photos, because my hair is about the same color. It's great incentive to see the things I can try as my hair grows.

arc691
October 18th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Wow; so pretty! :) Thanks for link and mention how to do the chain/snake braid. I've been wondering how to do that. I love looking at your photos, because my hair is about the same color. It's great incentive to see the things I can try as my hair grows.

You're so welcome, and thank you for the compliment :)

Tennessee Rose
December 31st, 2011, 08:42 AM
How is the thing at the top of the braid done?

Amazinggrace
December 31st, 2011, 08:49 AM
Amazing! What a beautiful look :)

Tennessee Rose
December 31st, 2011, 08:54 AM
I think I found it out, is it a snake braid?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=Or5yV7yPQJo

darklion
December 31st, 2011, 09:28 AM
wow. that center braid looks so full and it's just a small section.
this really is a fabulous goto look, plus it looks so intricate (always a plus)
beautiful work.

Dorothy
December 31st, 2011, 10:11 AM
I think you must live in a vine covered stone tower, where you sit all day and braid your hair.... You look like a fairy princess!

arc691
January 7th, 2012, 05:43 AM
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x472/andrearcolson/Flowers/IMG_4890-1.jpg

Oh, thank you, y'all! I have been off the forum for a few days and only just now
saw your sweet comments. Yes, it's a snake braid (or a chain braid, like I call it :) )
I'm so glad you liked this hairstyle.

Happy New Year, everyone!

ktno1
January 7th, 2012, 05:48 AM
Wow, I absolutely love this! Pretty sure my arms would have died trying to do it though. I salute you!

skyblue
January 7th, 2012, 06:03 AM
I love braided styles and yours are always so gorgeous!!
how ever do you do these styles with out pulling and breaking?? I have to limit my braiding to a few times a week so I can keep some hair on my head lol!!!
I always enjoy your threads thanks for sharing them with us!

faellen
January 7th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Oh my god that is so amazing, it almost looks unreal! Even if my hair ever got long enough, I don't know if I'd ever have the patience. Incredible!

jacqueline101
January 7th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Your hair is always wonderful.

Sushi144
January 7th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Both your hair and hairstyle are incredible ! It's absolutely gorgeous.

I must try to do this one... In a few months, when my braiding practice has improved !

Dark Rapunzel
January 7th, 2012, 06:26 PM
*jaw drops to floor with loud thud*
so awesome!