PDA

View Full Version : Ways to clarify..?

SearMeCarefully
June 26th, 2008, 11:10 PM
So a post on hair gunk got me to thinking about clarifying.. but what are all the different ways to clarify?
I know the baking soda and water.. what else is out there that you all have tried eh?

Curlsgirl
June 26th, 2008, 11:17 PM
This is probably not what you are looking for but I find if I just do my usual CWC with very diluted SLS shampoo that it keeps all the buildup off my hair but still doesn't strip it. I don't like using anything harsher anymore. I think doing it more often and in a gentler way is better because it lets moisture get in instead of keeping a barrier between it and your hair like buildup can do which of course dries it out.

Oneya
June 27th, 2008, 12:01 AM
I've heard of the ACV rinse..I want to try that this weekend.

cheekytweety
June 27th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Panetene do a good clarifying shampoo.

Dianyla
June 27th, 2008, 12:24 AM
All I do to clarify (very rarely) is just use a little more shampoo than usual and let it rinse all the way through my hair. When I'm not clarifying, I generally only let a small diluted amount of shampoo wash my scalp hairs. Also, I try to avoid gunking up the length of my hair with excessive oils or product that would require clarifying in the first place. :twocents:

aisling
June 27th, 2008, 01:02 AM
I've heard of the ACV rinse..I want to try that this weekend.

An ACV rinse isn't really a method of clarifying, it's just helpful when it comes to make products rinse out better of your hair. Sometimes that already can make a big difference, no residue left behind, but ACV won't get rid of really stuck build up.

I prefer a commercial clarifying shampoo and I wash my hair from root to tip with it. It's not enough for me to just let the shampoo just rinse through my hair, I actually need to wash my length with shampoo if I have a build up problem.

ommas
December 16th, 2008, 01:43 PM
hello
I have a five year old that needs help with her long hair.

Im a beginner of hair its easier to say i know nothing about hair care than what i actually know. I would just embarrass myself.

Mom has been doing it all .
It's time for me to help out.

I have convinced my wife i'll wash her hair and comb and brush it.

it tangles alot and she still gets food in it.

I'm really here to also get some support to help me keep up her routine and get advice from others than only my wife.

help help help .

http://bp2.blogger.com/_vE9usZt9KRQ/R2AleTJD-6I/AAAAAAAAA9M/pc4x5wRuY1w/s320/Rapunzel.jpg

Dolly
December 16th, 2008, 02:28 PM
So a post on hair gunk got me to thinking about clarifying.. but what are all the different ways to clarify?
I know the baking soda and water.. what else is out there that you all have tried eh?

I used to use baking soda and water, but now I use Suave clarifying shampoo.....be sure that after you clarify, you give your hair a good moisturizing treatment.

teela1978
December 16th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Suave clarifying does a great job. When I clarify I usually just use a stronger dilution of this than normal.

I like baking soda sometimes as well, but you have to be careful with baking soda, it's easy to overdo it. Couple of teaspoons in a big cup of water, dissolved all the way (the water should cool significantly from dissolving the baking soda) does a sufficient job. Any more baking soda and things get too rough and weird. I usually follow with a vinegar rinse to help close the cuticle after I've rinsed out ALL the baking soda.

~GypsyCurls~
December 16th, 2008, 04:15 PM
I want to clarify and thought ACV was a good way...but I want to try soemthing else. I'm just afraid that if I use a commercial clarifying shampoo, it will dry my hair out so much. I'm afraid to do the baking soda one too, lol!

boomygrrl
December 16th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I use Suave Clarifying shampoo as well...and then I do a deep conditioning treatment (with no cones).
It's cheap and effective and I find that as long as I condition afterwards, it doesn't dry my hair out.
I use full strength (no diluting) and I use it from roots to ends.
I just don't use it that often...once every 2-3 weeks.
For a mild clarifying...say, my hair is just starting to have build-up issues (i.e., isn't cooperating, seems like it isn't getting as clean anymore) then I use a mild SLES shampoo or a non-sulfate shampoo (like Aura hypoallergenic shampoo and Creme of Nature, respectively).

boomygrrl
December 16th, 2008, 04:23 PM
To me, baking soda is more harsh/drying than clarifying shampoo.

ssjhotau2
December 16th, 2008, 04:57 PM
V05 Vanilla Mint Tea Clarifying Shampoo.

I like the way it smells.

Elphie
December 16th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I'm happily surprised. I clarified this morning (it's been about six weeks) and was expecting to be a bit poofy for a day or two. Instead, lots of shine and hardly any poof at all.

Still scratching my head about what might be different...the only change in my routine is an ACV rinse about once a week.