PDA

View Full Version : Stretching washes and dry shampoo

Majorane
August 6th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Sooo, I've been trying for ages to wash my hair less frequently and go from a cwc once every 2 days to twice a week. I have normal skin, it should be possible, it would be so much better for my hair.
But I always give up after 2 or 3 weeks of trying because I Absolutely hate greasy scalp.
Hate hate! Plus, right now I work outside, and and and there are many people passing by there and I would like to flash my pretty manes to all the guys and look nice and spiffy summery with clean hair now I am finally rid of my 8 winter kilogrammes pretty please. :eyebrows:

So, now I thought I was smart and found out this miracle called dry shampoo. I can look superchique at day 3 or even 4 after a cwc. But, will this help decrease my seabum production or does a dry shampoo work as a sort of regular wash for your scalp?

Because if it does, it still means I am not stretching my washes at all and maybe I should just give up.... I used to need a wash only once a week, but greasy hair I just can't stand.

Argh! My hair, why are you so difficult!

HeatherJenae
August 6th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Why are you torturing yourself? If you like clean hair, then wash every day if you want to! That's what I do. I tried the stretching thing and I felt dirty and oily and not confident in how I looked. I do own dry shampoo. I have the SG one and it's an aerosol spray. I would definitely recommend getting a transparent spray as opposed to the white powder ones. When I was stretching or when I don't have time for a shower, I just spray it along my hairline around my face. But beware, after I do it I definitely need a shower later because it's kind of like a hairspray. It will make your hair fluffy but kind of stuck together. Maybe the powders don't have that affect, I'm not sure. But dry shampoo's just soak up the extra oil. It's great for bangs or the little wispies near your ears that can get greasy. If your whole head is oily, you're better off just washing.

archel
August 6th, 2011, 02:37 PM
I have the Suave dry shampoo and I really like it, but I have to be very light with it or it shows up white in my dark hair.

Majorane
August 6th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Well, I try to stretch my washes because my hairs are thin and a bit on the dry side. Washing it less seems to do my "length" a lot of good, but yes, the bangs and whispy bits around my face would not mind a wash a day....

I don't know what aerosol is, I have one of the white cornstarch ones. That make you look grey, unless you comb it out really well. :D but the powdery residue gets itchy after a while. I shall go and look for another one tomorrow, mine is alost finished anyway.
But, I thought, it absorbs the oil, so would my scalp think "ooh less washes, we don't have to produce so much seabum" or "aw, gee, we work so hard and still these hairs are clean. Bring on the grease!"?

Thanks for the replies!

gthlvrmx
August 6th, 2011, 02:47 PM
It takes roughly 1 month before you lose the greasies after you go into washing once a week. Give or take. It works for some people, for others it doesn't. Whatever makes you feel happier.

HeatherJenae
August 6th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Aerosol is just a fancy word for a spray. It's what most hairsprays are. They tend to smell very strongly and you might cough when you spray them. They shoot harder and faster than a mist.

Madora
August 6th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Well, stretching washes does take time.

Also, what you put on your hair determines how well it holds up from wash to wash.

Personally, I'd avoid anything that said "dry". Just use a gentle shampoo (not a combination product).

Dilute it with water, if you like. Ditto for your conditioner.

Wash once a week if you feel your hair looks better. Then try and stretch out your washes a little..like once every 2 weeks.

Keep your hair clean between washes by brushing thoroughly every day..and keep your brush squeaky clean by washing it at least twice a week.

A shampoo is made to cleanse your hair and scalp. A conditioner is meant to protect and coat the strands. Be sure and rinse well when doing both procedures.

Good luck!

Majorane
August 6th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Aerosol is just a fancy word for a spray. It's what most hairsprays are. They tend to smell very strongly and you might cough when you spray them. They shoot harder and faster than a mist.

:disgust: :google: could've told me that... I thought it was a fancy ingredient. Sorry...
they should teach words like that in English classes

CurlAhead
August 6th, 2011, 03:02 PM
I don't know why, but I have this image of how dry shampoo "blocks" your follicles and prevents it to grow, please tell me I am wrong? If I am, I will never wash my hair again, haha! :D

happybear
August 6th, 2011, 03:18 PM
I have dry shampoo by Cake and it smells like cake!

Got it at Sephora and you can buy it in two shades, one for blondes and one for brunettes. I works fairly well, feels gritty though, and the brunette one is a shade or two redder than my hair so if you don't work it in, it is a bit noticeable. Works well after a workout, or if I go camping or something. Messy though! It is not an aerosol, but a powder you sprinkle in your hand or directly on your scalp.

It is also talc free

Madora
August 6th, 2011, 03:21 PM
I don't know why, but I have this image of how dry shampoo "blocks" your follicles and prevents it to grow, please tell me I am wrong? If I am, I will never wash my hair again, haha! :D

Here's Dr. George Michael's take on dry shampoos:

George Michael's Secrets for Beautiful Hair (1981) Doubleday

What About Dry Shampoos?

The so-called dry shampoos clean the hair by the use of friction. If you spray or powder your hair with one of these products (or even use the old-fashioned remedy of cornstarch) and simply leave it on, your hair will not get clean. When these products are applied to oily hair, for example, they absorb oils the same way a blotter does, but your hair is still dirty. It takes vigorous motions to remove the "shampoo" and these are not good routines for long hair. In addition, such products aren't very effective cleansers, and the powders dull the hair.

Majorane
August 6th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Well, stretching washes does take time.

Also, what you put on your hair determines how well it holds up from wash to wash.

Personally, I'd avoid anything that said "dry". Just use a gentle shampoo (not a combination product).

Dilute it with water, if you like. Ditto for your conditioner.

Wash once a week if you feel your hair looks better. Then try and stretch out your washes a little..like once every 2 weeks.

Keep your hair clean between washes by brushing thoroughly every day..and keep your brush squeaky clean by washing it at least twice a week.

A shampoo is made to cleanse your hair and scalp. A conditioner is meant to protect and coat the strands. Be sure and rinse well when doing both procedures.

Good luck!
If I could stretch my washes to just once a week I could die a happy girl... Alas, I'm not that far yet.

My brushes are however squeeky clean, I wash them almost every day. Dry shampoo in a bbb is utterly disgusting looking anyway.

I know I just have to wait untill my scalp adjusts, but I really wonder if the dry shampoo helps adjusting or not....
Oh well. Off to bed now. Sleep well y'all and thanks ever so much for thinking with me and the kind advice! :flower:

happybear
August 6th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Thanks Madora, that is very informative

I have never liked the feel of the dry shampoo, I use it only if I must, and it DOES take a lot to get it out! I noticed the first time i used it, when I washed out my hair, I still had a brownish residue from the shampoo on my scalp. I feel like it does clog up the scalp because it just increased the amount of stuff sitting on your skin

Majorane
August 6th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Here's Dr. George Michael's take on dry shampoos:

George Michael's Secrets for Beautiful Hair (1981) Doubleday

What About Dry Shampoos?

The so-called dry shampoos clean the hair by the use of friction. If you spray or powder your hair with one of these products (or even use the old-fashioned remedy of cornstarch) and simply leave it on, your hair will not get clean. When these products are applied to oily hair, for example, they absorb oils the same way a blotter does, but your hair is still dirty. It takes vigorous motions to remove the "shampoo" and these are not good routines for long hair. In addition, such products aren't very effective cleansers, and the powders dull the hair.
... Ah. There's my answer. The dulling and fake clean I noticed but I didn't know about the damage!

This is valuable information, I shall not be using dry shampoo unless in case of extreme hairemergency.
My hair is sensitive enough as it is:(
Thanks Madora!

Madora
August 6th, 2011, 08:49 PM
... Ah. There's my answer. The dulling and fake clean I noticed but I didn't know about the damage!

This is valuable information, I shall not be using dry shampoo unless in case of extreme hairemergency.
My hair is sensitive enough as it is:(
Thanks Madora!

Glad you found the info helpful, Majorane!