What is your favorite BBB?

wahmof9
August 6th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Is Mason Pearson worth the price?

Madora
August 6th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Goody pure 100% boar bristle brush!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6554&pictureid=93125

They wear like iron and are perfect for my hair. I bought 3 back in the 1970s and am on my last one now.

Sorry, but I've never used anything else.

Just be sure to feel the bristles of the brush you're buying, test how comfortable the handle feels in your hand, and make sure the back of the brush lays flat (rounded brushes are only for short hair and will tangle long hair in no time). Also be sure there are at least six rows of bristles.

jojo
August 6th, 2011, 03:18 PM
I have a mason pearson and I think there well worth the money. I just got a Kent handbag BBB which is pretty good but not as good as my MP

archel
August 6th, 2011, 03:20 PM
I just got a Brush Strokes BBB from Sally's that is super soft and would be great for finer hair, however I think I'll go back for a stiffer one that gets through my hair better like my Scunci BBB did before I broke the handle (it's in 2 pieces which is why there is a band around the handle covering the seam).

I would love to treat myself to a Mason Pearson for Christmas, but I wouldn't be sure whether to get the all boar bristle or the one with mixed nylon pins. My hair is fine but there's a TON of it and I don't love having to section my hair to brush with the softer brush to get through it all. Then again, I'm not sure if the nylon pins will cause damage. Maybe I'll get the Denman knockoff first and see how it goes.

silverjen
August 6th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I also have a Mason Pearson, and I agree it's worth the price. Properly handled, an MP brush should last decades. I've spent an equivalent amount on shoes that only lasted a year and didn't give me half as much pleasure.

happybear
August 6th, 2011, 03:38 PM
I have two, one is a small one that I got at the Body Shop years 15 years ago. It is my favorite

The other is a Scunci one from the drug store. It is good too, but I love the body shop one.

I don't use them as much as I should

Carriegirl
August 6th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Should the bristles be soft? I have a Goody BBB and it is not very soft, more stiff. Are softer ones better for fine hair and stiffer ones better for thicker hair?

Madora
August 6th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Should the bristles be soft? I have a Goody BBB and it is not very soft, more stiff. Are softer ones better for fine hair and stiffer ones better for thicker hair?

The softer ones might be better for fine, thin hair (I have no experience in that line since my hair is fine and thick).

I found out, the hard way, that thicker, longer, stiffer boar bristles were not the answer either! Many years ago I fell for the hype about the superior Kent of London brushes. Yes, their brushes are beautiful..and very expensive.

I spent $80.00 on one and was bitterly disappointed when my hair hated it. It was oval and had long, thick, blonde boar bristles. My hair was not happy and it was a battle to brush with it.

I returned to my reliable Goody pure boar bristle brushes which had thinner, shorter, yet stiff bristles and have been using them ever since.

Delila
August 6th, 2011, 08:18 PM
The only one I've tried in recent years that I like is by George Michael.

I use mine more for scalp massage than brushing, FWIW.