PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to condider a trim?

Jenw777
August 6th, 2011, 10:08 AM
I haven't trimmed in over a year and wasn't planning on trimming at all this year, but my ends are starting to look ragged.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c280/kitkatsmom/Aug.jpg

My waves are eating a bunch of length here. When the bottom is pulled straight I brush hip. I hesitate to loseany length, but I'm torn.

hibiscus
August 6th, 2011, 10:09 AM
The ends still look nice to me, not ragged at all.

celebriangel
August 6th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Hmm. Your ends look a bit dry here and your hair is "sitting" a little oddly, but I know that sometimes my ends look dry and sit funny, but all I really need is a good SMT.

If your ends feel okay to you and normally sit okay (it's hard to tell from the angle of the photograph) then perhaps only the tiniest of dustings. Actually, I would wash, do an SMT, and post another photo so we get a clearer idea of how your ends are looking.

Siiri
August 6th, 2011, 10:15 AM
In that picture the ends look just a bit dry, but not ragged. Do you have split ends?

Jenw777
August 6th, 2011, 10:25 AM
I have a few splits, but not many. Well, I guess what you consider many may not be what I do. I may find a few a week.

My hair had been bunned after washing when I took this, actually, I think it was right after clarifying. I usually do an SMT twice a month. I clarify once every two months or so.

The ends aren't crunchy, they aren't really split. I find one or two in each hunk of hair and promptly snip them. I have layers though, and my longest layer is to hip when pulled straight, about 3 inches longer than the rest of my hair.

I'll try to take a better picture. Wash day is not until tomorrow though, so don't mind the gross.

vanillabones
August 6th, 2011, 10:36 AM
If it were me I would probably trim 1/4 an inch since it does a world of difference to making the ends feel thicker :) it will look so good you probably won't even see that any length is gone, which it hardly will be and will only take a couple weeks to grow back out, considering how much length you've gained in this year not trimming that sounds pretty good to me :D

Jenw777
August 6th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Dirty greasy hair, it was supposed to be wash day, but I have to paint the school tomorrow so I decided to wait.

Stretched out the bottom layer reaches hip, it's not just this little area, but it was easier to show by grabbing a small chunk.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c280/kitkatsmom/aug5stretch.jpg

Here's a better pic of how my ends usually lay.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c280/kitkatsmom/AUG5.jpg

And after a few minutes they settle into this:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c280/kitkatsmom/today.jpg

I wear it up most of the day and always to bed. I let it loose a few hours here and there.

spidermom
August 6th, 2011, 10:45 AM
If it were my hair, I'd get a 1/2-1 inch trim. I like thick, even ends! (as even as they can be with my crazy wurly hair, anyway)

celebriangel
August 6th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Ah, I see more clearly.

To me, it doesn't look as if you *need* a trim - however, your ends would look amazingly lovely and blunt if you got enough of a trim to remove those layers. It depends on whether blunt ends are a goal for you. Certainly the lack of layers will be an advantage when it comes to updos.

Or perhaps you could do monthly trims to maintain your current length for a while until you have grown your layer out, then resume your non trimming, if you don't want to loose the length at once.

But if you don't want a trim, then it doesn't look as if you need one - again, maybe just a tiny dusting.

spidermom
August 6th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Have you tried self-trimming? If I were you, I'd put a ponytail at the nape of the neck with 2 hair ties, making sure everything is combed out nice and smooth, then slide the 2nd hair tie towards the ends and snip off only the very longest hairs - try 1/2 inch first.

lapushka
August 6th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Doesn't look like your hair desperately needs a trim. Your ends are a little uneven but far from ragged looking. BTW, always look at your ends when your hair's freshly washed and nicely moisturized. Scrutinizing them when it's almost time to wash is never good. That's how you end up chopping way too much off. If you still feel bad about it, I'd try what Spidermom suggested (1/2 to an inch).

Siiri
August 6th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I doesn't sound damaged to me, it's just a bit uneven. You could trim it about half an inch if you want a blunt hemline.

Jenw777
August 6th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I can't self trim. I was in a car accident and only have one hand making fancy updos and self trimming difficult. The layers actually make it more manageable, but yea, I was also thinking I need to ditch about 1/2 an inch.

It's very frustrating :-/ I think the fact that I just took it from a bun makes it look a bit more uneven. I REALLY need to change up my routine and stuff because it's just not looking very nice lately.

Yame
August 6th, 2011, 11:04 AM
I think it depends on the kind of ends you want for your hair.

I like my hemline to be blunt and even, so if that was my hair I would be trimming at least an inch.

But since that's not my hair and you are probably not going for the same look, I think you should trim much less than that, if at all.

jaine
August 6th, 2011, 11:20 AM
The last few inches of your hair look lighter than the rest of it ... in my hair that's the earliest warning sign of damage to the ends ... but my hair is very dark and I'm not sure if the same thing applies to light hair like yours.

Jenw777
August 6th, 2011, 11:29 AM
The last few inches of your hair look lighter than the rest of it ... in my hair that's the earliest warning sign of damage to the ends ... but my hair is very dark and I'm not sure if the same thing applies to light hair like yours.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that's actually because my hair was hilighted when I started and I've hennaed over that and the majority of my hair was new growth. I think the henna just looks a little lighter on the hilighted bits. I'll have my friend check it out for me, she's a stylist and into the natural haircare, maybe she can help me out.

kanaka
August 6th, 2011, 11:37 AM
its just dry. if u have split ends go for cut otherwise no because ur hair still looks beautiful :)
By the way i am new to this site.....:shrug:

Avital88
August 6th, 2011, 11:42 AM
i like your ends, but i see also what you mean. 0.5 inch selftrim will do the trick:) i noticed big changes in with little trims.

jojo
August 6th, 2011, 03:27 PM
I like blunt ends so id go for a 1/2" trim, however I think your hair looks lovely. Lighter ends are normal, they have been exposed to weather and it is normal for them to go lighter.