PDA

View Full Version : Damp bun question - my hair is weird

AchtungCurly
August 6th, 2011, 06:24 AM
I've searched the forum (and found some great stuff), but couldn't find anything that relates to my situation.

I finally got a job, and it's in a medical clinic. Even though my job has limited patient contact (I deal with patient accounts and have my own office), clinic rules say hair back.

My hair is that fun kind of curly that can be straightened easily, so I damp bun, because it's just enough to get the hair closest to my scalp to stay smoothed down. This is convenient, as I like that smoothed down look for buns.

The length when I do this, however is a hot mess. Stringy half-wavy, and generally ugh. When I comb that part it's just fuzzy. I spray water on it, and can damp bun again, but the fuzz or stringies make it really hard to do more than a cinnamon bun, without it looking like a rat's nest.

Is there any way I can keep the length nicer, so I can vary my styles? Should I brush it, or oil it, or sleep in something other than a loose bun on my head? (Sleeping with my hair down is not an option.)

Any and all advice you can give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Sundial
August 6th, 2011, 06:32 AM
I'm not sure what you can do to stop it from happening, but in my case my hair just hates to be damp bunned. It doesn't like being put up when it's wet and it doesn't like being braided either. When I try to style it while it's wet, I get frizzy kinked ends.

So I'm just here to let you know that there are some hair types that don't like to be styled while damp/wet.

Ishje
August 6th, 2011, 06:48 AM
maybe you could try not just spraying it with water but make a mist with some things your hair like and spray it with that?

*Edit*

this is a topic about misting: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1064&highlight=mist+bottle

AchtungCurly
August 6th, 2011, 07:58 AM
So, I'm a bit of a twit. In the shower, I soaked my hair and it was still bad. Yeah, protein overload. The really ick feeling is gone.

I'm still trying the mister idea, cause I spray my hair with only water daily, so that can only improve things.

I'm also going to try not bunning damp and see what happens. The combo of protein/damp bun might explain my disaster.

Thank you so much!!

ellen732
August 6th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Maybe you could try a different bun. I find mine dries not so nice in a damp cinnabun, but does much better drying in a lazy wrap.

celebriangel
August 6th, 2011, 10:21 AM
I would also try a different but. Different buns produce vastly different results. A Bee Butt bun/figure 8 produces big, loose 1950s waves, a LAzy wrap makes my hair fuzzy for some reason, and a seashell bun produces tight little spirals that resemble my natural texture.

Fixing the protein overload should help too.

AchtungCurly
August 6th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Thanks everyone. My hair is crazy layered (I rocked that growing-out mullet for a while), and the cinnamon bun was the first successful one I did, so I never thought more about another one for damp/bedtime hair.

I'm off to the magic list of hairstyles to see what I can learn.

Thanks again!

Mesmerise
August 6th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Well my hair sounds the same. I've tried damp bunning to produce nice, regular waves, but the reality is that it turns my hair into an unholy frizzy mess! The top of my hair gets all nice and straight and sleek when I bun it too... but taking the bun out... urgh... I guess though I don't do too many different bun types, so that might be it too!

jaine
August 6th, 2011, 07:08 PM
I get best hair the day after damp-bunning:

Day 1: wash my hair, put it in a towel-turban to take most of the moisture out, and then comb it and bun it with gel and leave it alone all day. I take it down for at least a few hours in the evening to make sure it's completely dry (the back is very frizzy at this point). Before bed I brush it to make sure everything is smooth and then I immediately put on a silk sleeping cap to preserve the smoothness while I sleep. (got mine from http://prettyanntoinets.com/)

Day 2: I wake up with shiny smooth waves, assuming the sleeping cap stayed on all night. It's typically wavier than it was when I went to bed, but also smoother, if that makes any sense.