PDA

View Full Version : Sulfates

snakewitch
August 5th, 2011, 09:10 PM
I know they make your hair fall out, and I know they build up in your heart and brain, etc. But sometimes I have no choice when my hair is greasy as heck and I only have shampoo with sulfate.

When I use shampoo without sulfates, I know it's ultimately healthier for my hair, my hair looks gross. I have like... small curls near the ends(normally my hair is really curly), and some frizz.

When I use shampoo with sulfates, I know it's ultimately not very healthy, but my hair looks wonderful. No frizz, and the texture looks normal.

Are sulfates really as bad as people have been telling me?

If so, is it weird that something bad makes my hair look better then something healthy for it?

elbow chic
August 5th, 2011, 09:22 PM
I really think sulfates are fine for most people. I was using a sulfate-free shampoo for awhile, but it was expensive and didn't make my hair look any better than regular old SLS shampoo does. :shrug:

maborosi
August 5th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I have never, ever had a problem with sulfates.

I don't understand why people assume that because something happened to their hair when they used cones/sulfates/unicorn tears, it'll happen to everyone's hair.

~maborosi~

Sundial
August 5th, 2011, 09:40 PM
There isn't a problem with using it if you have great results with it. A lot of people still use products with it and they like the results.

I just had to switch because I'm allergic - my eyes water and turn red, parts of my skin where my hair touches like my face, neck and back turns red and itchy too. Plus it was too harsh on my hair

Roseate
August 5th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Go forth and enjoy the sulfates! You could try diluting your sulfate shampoo if you want to cut back some.

They cause nasty scalp problems for me, but the vast majority of people can use them without a problem.

Sanyia
August 5th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I need to use them from time to time, and I think diluting helps.

aliceinmadness
August 5th, 2011, 10:00 PM
I know they make your hair fall out, and I know they build up in your heart and brain, etc. But sometimes I have no choice when my hair is greasy as heck and I only have shampoo with sulfate.

Where on earth did you hear that? I can conceive of no chemical reason why a sulfate compound (SO4) would "build up" anywhere and cause problems. It's not like your body doesn't need sulfur to live. In fact, just about every member of brassicaceae (cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, etc.) owe their taste to glucosinolates, which contain a sulfate group - why would those food items be healthy but dumping a few sulfates topically on your head build up in your heart and brain? For that matter, pretty much ALL soap - your body wash, your hand soap, your and your dish soap has this stuff too, but you don't hear that sort of thing.

Sounds like nonsense.

I wouldn't worry about it. If your hair likes sulfates, by all means, go for it.

Coco Loco
August 8th, 2011, 08:52 AM
I have done a bit of biochemistry & thought I'd add what I've learnt for food for thought :)

Yes your body needs sulfur, HOWEVER, there are different forms of sulfur! Dietary sulfur is in the form of Methyl Sulfonyl Methane (MSM) which is very different to Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. Personally would never use SLS on my skin/hair.

Your skin is the largest organ of your body & plays a large part for your immune system. While you will not see any imediate effects, long-term it will degrade the quality of your skin & hair. I would say be most careful about using SLS in a warm shower because you will probably be breathing it in & your lungs will not thank-you for it.

When your immune system is under the pump it uses more nutrients & energy which could otherwise be going towards healthy, longer hair.

Samuel S. Epstein, M.D., Chairman of the Cancer Prevention Coalition

"Regarding Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, there is no evidence that SLS is carcinogenic.
However, contrary, SLS is a harsh ionic detergent which is a strong irritant to skin, depending on concentration and the duration of exposure. The Cosmetic Ingredient Review (CIR) 2000 Compendium, of the Cosmetic, Toiletry and Fragrance Association, admits that SLS "causes severe epidermal changes--of the skin of mice--(indicating) a need for tumor-enhancing activity assays," (1). The Compendium also admits that SLS containing products are "designed for brief discontinued use, following which they are thoroughly rinsed
from the surface of the skin."

Hope this helps :)

Copasetic
August 8th, 2011, 09:17 AM
There is nothing inherently wrong with sulfates. They may not work for everyone, but many people have great success with them. If they work for you, go for it!

Anje
August 8th, 2011, 10:48 AM
They're harsh cleansers, but if you don't have problems with them, I don't really see a problem with using them. The vast majority of people use sulfate-based cleansers (shampoo, liquid hand soap, body wash, dish detergent, clothes detergents, etc.). And while you may not have great confidence in humanity, it seems unlikely that they're all suffering from shampoo buildup in their brains.

Use your sulfates. Concentrate them on the scalp so they're not so hard on the length. Consider diluting your shampoo so it's less drying on your scalp. But don't believe everything you read.

ETA: Also, realize that you're probably using a single-digit percentage of SDS in shampoo to begin with. Less diluted, the stuff is definitely best used for protein denaturation. But many things that are harmless or even necessary in small concentrations are harmful if you get too much.

vanillabones
August 8th, 2011, 11:00 AM
My hair likes sulphates too. I've been using non sls organic shampoos to try to be gentler on my hair which is fine but I could stretch longer with sls and I love how they make my hair and scalp feel. Do what works for you I wouldn't worry about the sulphates :D

spidermom
August 8th, 2011, 11:07 AM
No problems with sulfates over here. The skin is a pretty good barrier against the stuff seeping through and then building up in your brain or elsewhere.

Rosetta
August 8th, 2011, 11:16 AM
I have never, ever had a problem with sulfates.

I don't understand why people assume that because something happened to their hair when they used cones/sulfates/unicorn tears, it'll happen to everyone's hair.
Hear, hear! :applause

My hair prefers sulfates to any other cleansers I've tried, and I've never found them harsh either (and I have fine hair)...

"Sulfates make your hair fall out" and "build up on your body" - where do people hear that kind of things...? :bigeyes:

And while you may not have great confidence in humanity, it seems unlikely that they're all suffering from shampoo buildup in their brains.
:lol:

ratgirldjh
August 27th, 2011, 04:35 PM
SLS shampoo definitely makes my hair fall out at full strength. VERY diluted it doesn't.

Once I decided to try going back to a 'natural' SLS shampoo. I wet my hair and washed and lots of hairs came out during the wash and then after while it was drying. This is not normal for my hair. Usually I lose NO hairs during washing and air drying. The usual time I will find shed hairs is when I brush my hair at night (I do not brush in the daytime).

So for me it does make my hair fall out. However I have had luck using a very small amount diluted in a lot of water. This didn't cause any shedding during the wash or the drying. But I am leery of them because of this.

celebriangel
August 27th, 2011, 04:57 PM
They're harsh cleansers, but if you don't have problems with them, I don't really see a problem with using them. The vast majority of people use sulfate-based cleansers (shampoo, liquid hand soap, body wash, dish detergent, clothes detergents, etc.). And while you may not have great confidence in humanity, it seems unlikely that they're all suffering from shampoo buildup in their brains.

Use your sulfates. Concentrate them on the scalp so they're not so hard on the length. Consider diluting your shampoo so it's less drying on your scalp. But don't believe everything you read.

ETA: Also, realize that you're probably using a single-digit percentage of SDS in shampoo to begin with. Less diluted, the stuff is definitely best used for protein denaturation. But many things that are harmless or even necessary in small concentrations are harmful if you get too much.

You are quite right. The blood-brain barrier is exceedingly efficient at not letting this sort of stuff into your brain. I have sensitive skin though, and it hates SLS (in washing up liquid, body wash, shampoo...) so I have no problem believing my skin could get irritated enough to make me shed more with SLS.

Additionally, single-digit percentage? SLS is the second ingredient in every shampoo I've looked at, which normally means there's lots of it. I'm not disputing your overall point, just this bit of it.

Charlotte:)
August 27th, 2011, 05:34 PM
In my experience, sulfates prevent my hair from falling out because they keep my scalp clean. When it is greasy, my pores get clogged and I shed. I also don't think they are nearly as harsh as so-called "gentler" natural sulfate-free shampoos I have used. (Remember that just because something is natural doesn't mean it's better for you. I'd take sulfates over poison ivy any day!) I realize sulfates are toxic and that your skin acts as a sponge, but as long as you wash and rinse your scalp quickly, I don't think they will have time to soak into your skin very much, and your immune system will take care of any that does :)

P.S. This is comming from someone with extremely sensitive skin. I dillute my shampoo in about a half cup of water as it can be a bit drying when I use it straight.

virgo75
August 27th, 2011, 05:52 PM
In my experience, sulfates prevent my hair from falling out because they keep my scalp clean. When it is greasy, my pores get clogged and I shed. I also don't think they are nearly as harsh as so-called "gentler" natural sulfate-free shampoos I have used. I realize sulfates are toxic, but as long as you wash and rinse your scalp quickly, I don't think they will have time to soak into your skin very much, and your immune system will take care of any that does :)

P.S. This is comming from someone with extremely sensitive skin. I dillute my shampoo in about a half cup of water as it can be a bit drying when I use it straight.

This is my experience as well. I shed like a beast if there's anything on my scalp especially its own sebum, and anything creamy like creamy moisturizing shampoos or conditioner. Shedding is the main reason I can't CO wash. My hair is just now getting back to it's normal thickness about 2 years after I "tried" CO washing for over 1 year(holding out for the 'adjustment period' to end :rolleyes: ).

I don't find sulfates to be evil or a barrier to growing long, healthy hair. ALL of the longhairs I know(waistlength and beyond) just use shampoo & conditioner. No shampoo bars, herbs, oils, henna, etc. Just the basics. :shrug:

McFearless
August 27th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I need to use them from time to time, and I think diluting helps.

Same here. If you hair is feeling dry, use a sulfate free shampoo and put it up in a bun or braid. On days where you want to leave your hair out use sulfates. Balance that with deep conditioning and I don't think you'll have a problem with sulfates in the long run.

Ashenputtel
August 27th, 2011, 07:48 PM
I hate them with a passion. I clarify with shampoo mixed with BS.

People can do whatever they want though. I'm mostly a benign neglecter. I realise my hair gets easily overload with pretty much everything, oil, cwc, too many deep conditionning, etc.

You have to try it to know it. If you like them maybe you can still use them but skip the SLS which is the hardest one.