PDA

View Full Version : I think I have to go back to SLS

JadeTigress
August 5th, 2011, 08:39 PM
I know there's a thread that sort of touches on this, but I didn't want to hijack that thread, so I'm starting my own. :p I've been experiencing a massive shed since February or March. I've tried experimenting with various things to help with this, but nothing really seemed to be working. But I thought I noticed a difference with SLS shampoo, but hadn't really paid much attention because I was too busy experimenting.

Well, I've been paying attention lately and experimenting with SLS more often so I can confirm: if I wash with SLS, I'm barely getting any shed anymore, even if I havn't washed in a week, and it's not just improved in the shower. When I brush my hair or run my fingers through it, way less hair is coming out.

When I use anything other than regular ol' SLS shampoo (CO, SLS-free shampoo, etc.), I get the massive hairball in the drain and more hair randomly shedding throughout the day and when I brush.

So I'm switching back to SLS shampoo, atleast until my scalp goes back to normal and what I've lost starts growing back. Then I might experiment again.

Here's my dilemma, though. I need to use the SLS so my hair doesn't fall out, but my hair looks way, way, way better if I use pretty much anything but that. Is there anything I can try before or after my wash to get that same effect that I get when I CO? I've tried CWC, but I can't use conditioner on my hair if I've shampooed it, even if it's just on the length, because it makes it look even worse than shampoo alone. Which is why I think it's really weird that CO makes my hair so great, but that's another discussion. :p

I'd really appreciate any advice. I'm glad I've maybe figure out how to lessen my shed, but I'm really missing my awesome hair that I was starting to develop.

xoerincolleen
August 5th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Is it possible for you to use the SLS and stretch washes? If you're only washing with it once a week, that's not too bad for your hair, especially if it's what works for you. Could you use the SLS shampoo once a week and CO wash a couple of times in between? Or another method? I don't know if you totally quit the shampoo when you were experimenting, but a combination of methods might work for you.

luthein
August 5th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Perhaps you could try scalp washing? There are a few methods online that you could try. Or perhaps you could wet your hair, shampoo your scalp, and when you go to rinse it out, hold your hair up so the shampoo doesn't run down it.

You could also try mixing your shampoos. Mix 50% SLS and 50% non-SLS and see how your hair reacts to a mild SLS formulation.

Sundial
August 5th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Perhaps you could try scalp washing? There are a few methods online that you could try. Or perhaps you could wet your hair, shampoo your scalp, and when you go to rinse it out, hold your hair up so the shampoo doesn't run down it.

You could also try mixing your shampoos. Mix 50% SLS and 50% non-SLS and see how your hair reacts to a mild SLS formulation.

I agree with luthein's suggestions. You could do a CWC with the W on just the scalp using the SLS shampoo. Having the conditioner on the length first acts as a buffer for the length against the shampoo. Hope you find something that works for you

Roseate
August 5th, 2011, 09:55 PM
You could do a CWC with the W on just the scalp using the SLS shampoo.

Exactly what I was going to suggest. Basically you are COing your length, and applying the shampoo only to your scalp, where the shedding problem is.

aliceinmadness
August 5th, 2011, 10:08 PM
A lot of conditioners have SLS in them, just in smaller amounts. Perhaps you could CO with an SLS condish?

HintOfMint
August 5th, 2011, 11:49 PM
I completely understand about going back to SLS. I would shed like a maniac on CO and sulfate free shampoos.

I tried the oil shampoo method and that worked pretty well in getting my hair smooth and shiny without conditioner.

Charybdis
August 6th, 2011, 03:40 AM
Are you using a cone conditioner? An SLS shampoo should help prevent cone buildup, and the cones will help give your hair shine. (I'm an unrepentant cone-head - it's just what my hair likes. So far the longest hair I've maintained is waist length.)

Guenhwyvar
August 6th, 2011, 03:57 AM
I have a similar dilemma (kind of). I have been using natural shampoo/conditioner and loving it for months but for the last month my hair has got drier and more fly-away and really damaged-looking :(. I hate having long hair that looks horrible.

I have ordered some Giovanni sham/con and a protein treatment in case a change of brand helps (before I was using a smaller brand - 'handmade naturals' with no chemicals just aloe, shea butter, oils, essential , cider vinegar etc), hopefully a combination of these brands will help me....

Have you tried just changing shampoo or seeing if there is protein in the one you like etc?

JadeTigress
August 6th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I tried doing a CWC again this morning, just so see what would happen. I used Suave Juicy Green Apple shampoo and conditioner, since that's just what I had in the shower. All was going well until, on my final C, I wasn't thinking and I swiped some conditioner over my head after I'd finished with the length. Big mistake. What started out well ended with massive amounts of hair coming out. I'm really thinking there's something in conditioner that my scalp is hating right now. I'm going to try a CWC again on my wash day, and pay attention to myself so I don't put the conditioner above my ears again, and see what happens. If I get the same result, I think I'm going to try out the oil shampoo method that was mentioned (I may try that out anyway). And if that doesn't work, then I guess I'm going to try to find the most moisturizing shampoo that I can in the hopes that I won't need to use conditioner with it.