PDA

View Full Version : Braided buns

Sam-I-Am
June 26th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I have this theory that my curly hair wants to curl as tight as I will let it. This works well for twisted updos, but when my hair comes down, it stays so tightly curled it looks like it's about to make dreadlocks, and is a bear to detangle.

Since I am an impatient woman always kind and gentle to my hair, I am trying to wear it braided for a week or two to see if that makes any difference in the number of tangles. Only I get tired of wearing a braid down my back because then I just have a fuzzy braid and it's probably not good for my hair to be rubbing between my back and the back of my desk chair anyway.

So here is the crux of the matter. I want to learn new braided buns! I know the pinless braided bun and LOVE it - it's my favorite lazy bun. I know what I have been calling the Ursula-style braided bun - a short Dutch braid forms a very secure, comfortable base for a bun. Sometimes I start an English braid high on my head and tuck the end under the beginning and hold it with a clip or Flexi-8. But that's my entire repertoire.

Teach me your favorite braided buns, LHC!

Nat242
June 26th, 2008, 09:36 PM
I still have pretty short hair, so lots of braided buns don't work for me yet. What I've taken to doing is put my hair in a ponytail, make two or three braids (English, rope, or herringbone) and wrap them around the ponytail holder, and secure with hair sticks. I'm not sure that this style will work for you, as you have plenty of hair :)

Pictures are in my blog.

-- Natalie

ETA: I've made you a contact and sent you a friendship request so you can view my blog if you're interested :flowers:

Stevy
June 27th, 2008, 04:45 AM
Have you tried Cortese's Upbraided (http://www.io.com/~cortese/hair/styling.html) do? I don't actually use one of those half-circle combs to hold it because I haven't got one, I just flip the braid up the back of my head, make a high bun on the top and pin. Another variant is to clip your hair at the nape with an upside-down barrette (so that the pretty surface of the barrette is against your neck and the clip is on top) and then braid the length and flip it up and pin - that way the barrette ends up the right way up and makes a pretty accept to the style.

Alaytheia
June 27th, 2008, 05:09 AM
I love braided buns. It's the best hairstyle I know that will stay looking nice all day long. I start by doing a french braid. I think I do my french braids a little wrong - I start it right at the top of my forehead, but the next couple sections I draw up from beside my ears. So the top of the braid ends up having large sections added to it, and when it is viewed, it looks like it starts at the top of the back of my head. I don't know if that affects how the overall braided bun.

After I've braided as far down to the bottom as I possibly can, I secure it with one of those teeny tiny rubbery hair bands. Then I flip the braid straight up the back of my head - it is doubled up on top of the french braid. I fold the braid over to the side at about where I want the bun top to be, then take a hair pin (I use the giant bobby pins) and slide it straight in to hold the top part there. The way the braid folds, there is a narrow spot at your nape, so that first fold actually provides the base to then wrap the braid around and around until it is all wound. I usually don't pin again until I have it completely wound, then I stick a few more hair pins (4-5 because I like it really secure) in.

It distributes the weight really evenly and stays looking very nice all day. FYI, my hair is between tailbone and classic.

Melian
June 27th, 2008, 05:10 AM
I also love braided bun. Because then I do not have to make my nighttime braid before going to bed :).
I do a pinned bun, or flip it up (and fold it) and hold it with a flexi or a ficcare.

heidihug
June 27th, 2008, 07:36 AM
I love the look of a triple braided bun. Just ponytail high, then make 3 braids with the ponytail and wrap and secure them, one at a time, around the ponytail center. So pretty. It's my go-to braided bun when I have a little extra time in the morning. Otherwise, I just braid a pony and wrap it.

Gumball
June 27th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I've noticed braids really do cut down on detangling time at least for me. When I twist my hair up somehow, whether it's a bun or in rope braids I really need to pay attention to how damp or dry my hair is and also if I've used anything in it. Anything that aids in shape retention (water, aloe, sometimes oil) tends to result in the undone 'do having those tight curls that you mention Sam-I-Am. That's why when it's a wash day I pay special mind to do something that isn't too twisty. Braided buns can come in handy as can some buns provided I don't twist too hard or don't do anything with small twisted sections. I'm positive you'll find something that works right for you!

Tapioca
June 27th, 2008, 10:25 AM
A braided bun is my quick looks-like-it-took-forever style. I start with a Dianyla braid, going as far down as possible to make a small tassel. Then I just loop it around without twisting, make sure the ends are tucked under, and pin. I've used two sticks, three good hair days pins, or three small claw clips to hold it. My signature picture is with claw clips.

Dulci
June 27th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I like to make a logroll out of my braid sometimes, and fasten it with a Ficcare or hair slide.

Sam-I-Am
June 27th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Thanks for all the help, y'all! Today I did a French braid and kind of wrapped it around itself, then secured with my biggest hair fork. It is SOLID and very comfy, much like the bun you described, Alaytheia.

heidihug and Nat242, I like your idea of a triple-braided ponytail very much. I'll have to try that next week.

Gumball, I always put oil AND aloe in my hair after I wash (which is twice a week). I wonder if my leave-in is contributing to my twisted tangles. I never thought about that!

joyful373
June 27th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I love braided buns... I either start with a braided ponytail and twist into a bun, or I'll do a double braided ponytail and wrap both around which makes a larger and more intricate bun. I have a pic of my double braided ponytail for my profile... although not in a bun. I agree with Tapioca. If I need a quick style that looks put together, that's the way I go.