PDA

View Full Version : As promised, dry length shots (and hair typing)

AnimaSola3o4
August 5th, 2011, 06:36 PM
I finally grabbed some dry length shots. This is after doing a deep conditioning treatment for about 5 hours, rinsing it out, and then sleeping. So the curls aren't exactly how they would be if I hadn't been tossing and turning, but this is the way my hair looks the majority of the time. In looking at these photos and my hair IRL, I'm starting to think I need a trim on the longest layer, the bottom few inches don't seem to be curling very well. I have been wondering if it's just the humidity, but the more I try to do for them, the more I realize they aren't getting any better. And since I need my layers freshened up (they havent been cut in over a year, and are starting to split), I will have a pro trim done. I do that about every two years. Otherwise I just microtrim myself.

I will try to get some totally untouched (meaning un-slept on) curls to photograph for hair typing.... but just using these, what do you think? http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=573&pictureid=109735

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=573&pictureid=109739

pixi_stix
August 5th, 2011, 06:39 PM
WOW I would love curls like that. It doesn't look like you need much of a trim

lillylonghair
August 5th, 2011, 06:46 PM
You hair is drop dead gorgeous :)

vanity_acefake
August 5th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Ooh your hair is stunning. Like a pre raphaelite painting.
:)

slo2gro
August 5th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I agree your ends dont look that bad a lil trim im sure would do wonders

AnimaSola3o4
August 5th, 2011, 07:24 PM
K forget how fast things get replies here lol. Thank you all so very much!! I decided against the pro trim, gonna just keep dusting the ends and try to dust the layers as well. I'm on the verge of having hair longer than I've ever had before, and I'm too excited to risk it!!

Rustella
August 5th, 2011, 07:43 PM
WOW! Just LOOK at all of that beautiful hair!

:thud:

Miss Maisie
August 5th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Oh my goodness. Your hair is amazing!

Sundial
August 5th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Wow those are gorgeous curls!! Also the color is super vibrant! When I first saw your length picture, my first thought was that you and GRU can be hair twins! So perhaps your hair type is close to hers? Sorry I'm not much help with hair typing questions :o

AnimaSola3o4
August 5th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Wow those are gorgeous curls!! Also the color is super vibrant! When I first saw your length picture, my first thought was that you and GRU can be hair twins! So perhaps your hair type is close to hers? Sorry I'm not much help with hair typing questions :o

I looked her up, and boy is her hair beautiful!! Mine isn't as curly as hers, though I wish it was!! And I see that she hennas her hair, my color is all natural. :) I do think that between my bathroom lighting and my phone that it seems a bit redder than it should be, or maybe a bit oranger, I am not sure! But I am 100% natural redhead! All my life.

Yame
August 5th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Your hair is gorgeous!

Joribear
August 5th, 2011, 09:33 PM

LOL I thought the same thing!! I had to double check who posted the thread!

Anima, first off, your hair is totally :thud: worthy. Second off, I don't think we can give any kind of a decent typing after it was slept on.

Third, I'm still :thud:. Fourth - yeah, meet your newest hair envy stalker!! :D

ancilla
August 5th, 2011, 10:15 PM
looks like 3a to me.

Safira
August 5th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Beautiful curls! I love your hair!

kamikaze hair
August 5th, 2011, 10:48 PM
I love your hair!!! totally jealous (in a good way :)) I'm thinking your probably 3a. and I love your colour too.

Cania
August 5th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Your hair is absolutely stunning!

AnimaSola3o4
August 6th, 2011, 12:13 AM
LOL I thought the same thing!! I had to double check who posted the thread!

Anima, first off, your hair is totally :thud: worthy. Second off, I don't think we can give any kind of a decent typing after it was slept on.

Third, I'm still :thud:. Fourth - yeah, meet your newest hair envy stalker!! :D

Hehe, thanks so much!! I think your hair is beautiful too, from the sig pic :)

I don't mind having hair envy stalkers!! I can't wait until my hair is long enough to be in the running for hair icon around here!! I would be thrilled!! :cheese:

newbeginning
August 6th, 2011, 05:21 AM
Wow you have amazing hair. Beautiful texture and colour. Actually I'm a bit jealous.

Dina L.
August 6th, 2011, 05:29 AM
Wow, you're hair is beautiful! :)

redcelticcurls
August 6th, 2011, 06:07 AM
To me, it appears to be a blend of 3a and 3b. The curl pattern starts pretty quickly and is pretty consistent much in the manner of a 3b, but with the wider curl diameter of a 3a. A straight up 3a tends to have straighter roots, and a straight up 3b has a curl patter a bit tighter than yours. You occupy the zone in between the two.

CastaDiva
August 6th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Your hair looks absolutely stunning!!

Ishje
August 6th, 2011, 06:45 AM
your hair is gorgeous!

jojo
August 6th, 2011, 10:19 AM
3a/b is what id type your hair as. Your hair is very beautiful too

CurlAhead
August 6th, 2011, 10:42 AM
WOW!!!! :cheese:

AnimaSola3o4
August 6th, 2011, 03:13 PM
To me, it appears to be a blend of 3a and 3b. The curl pattern starts pretty quickly and is pretty consistent much in the manner of a 3b, but with the wider curl diameter of a 3a. A straight up 3a tends to have straighter roots, and a straight up 3b has a curl patter a bit tighter than yours. You occupy the zone in between the two.

The funny thing is is that my roots usually are straighter. I don't know if it was the deep conditioning treatment I did the night before I took these pics, or if my hair is just enjoying the humidity... but it does seem curlier than in the past. I'm enjoying it! And in looking at photos of me from childhood, my hair was way straighter than it is now. Dunno if my hair is just getting curlier with age, or maybe the fact that I was sleeping with wet hair (thus my roots may have been lifted to dry), But I appreciate your analysis!

Eirelin
August 6th, 2011, 03:56 PM
As so many others said: WOW!

Shany
August 6th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Ooh your hair is stunning. Like a pre raphaelite painting.
:)

That's the first thing that came to my mind, the preraphaelite paintings. Beautiful!

AnimaSola3o4
August 6th, 2011, 06:50 PM
I just looked up preraphealite paintings because of the mentions here, and I am impressed. I take it as a huge compliment! :)

redcelticcurls
August 7th, 2011, 07:52 PM
The funny thing is is that my roots usually are straighter. I don't know if it was the deep conditioning treatment I did the night before I took these pics, or if my hair is just enjoying the humidity... but it does seem curlier than in the past. I'm enjoying it! And in looking at photos of me from childhood, my hair was way straighter than it is now. Dunno if my hair is just getting curlier with age, or maybe the fact that I was sleeping with wet hair (thus my roots may have been lifted to dry), But I appreciate your analysis!

Thank you for the added info. Time will tell if you end up being a 3a/b by default or a 3a who can achieve 3a/b with assistance. Regardless, it looks very pretty.

It isn't unusual for a curly, even one who had taken good care of her hair, to go up a subtype once she uses a routine geared towards sering the maximum curl potential.

curlymarcia
August 7th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I love your hair! The color and curls are just perfect. I agree with Redcelticcurls regarding your hair type.

AnimaSola3o4
August 8th, 2011, 12:18 AM
Thank you everyone!!! And I forgot that it's possible for hair to curl up more when being more cared for. I think my hair just NEEDS moisture. I will up the moisture then, and think about dumping the poo (did that sound wrong to anyone else?) or going low poo.

lizdini
August 8th, 2011, 04:53 AM
well I don't know about typing, but goodness your hair is gorgeous!

Ligeia_13
August 8th, 2011, 05:34 AM
... and think about dumping the poo (did that sound wrong to anyone else?)

:D that was priceless :D

Beautiful hair, by the way.

kitschy
August 8th, 2011, 05:51 AM
Really pretty. And I agree with redcelticcurls - 3a and it is possible you could develop some 3b curl.