PDA

View Full Version : Which conditioner do you use for SMT?

monsterna
August 5th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Wondering what people here use in an SMT? I'm going to do my first one tonight and I'm not sure which of these conditioners to use. I have Suave Rosemary Mint (my favorite, has cones), Aussie Moist (cones), and Garnier Triple Nutrition (no cones). I saw on Snowy's original post that coney conditioners seemed to not work as well as non-coney?

What do you guys think? Have you tried any of the conditioners I listed above? And which do you use for you SMTs? :)

kidari
August 5th, 2011, 06:26 PM
There's a thread or article that has a long list of conditioners, aloe vera gels, and such that have been reported as being successful or problematic. My favorite conditioner to use is Aussie 3 minute miracle (it has some cones in it but is on the list of successful conditioners). I have tried it with V05 kiwi lime squeeze, which I also liked. My last SMT I did a 50/50 mix with V05 kiwi lime squeeze and Aussie 3MM. I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to stick with the Aussie 3MM for now.

Sundial
August 5th, 2011, 09:48 PM
kidari is right, there's a list out there somewhere but I don't remember where I've seen it. I used Triple Nutrition for a period of time and I got white flecks from the mixture. I used it with Lily of the Dessert aloe. The issue went away after I switched conditioners.

I remember the list said something like conditioners with protein tend to cause curdling but I'm not entirely sure because some conditioners I've used containing proteins like A'kin doesn't give me that problem. Some of the problematic ones I've tried are John Master Organics and Garnier Triple Nutrition. V05 green apple and vanilla tea therapy, Trader Joe triple mint, Giovanni 50:50, and A'kin conditioners seem fine.

Sanyia
August 5th, 2011, 10:35 PM
I use the Sally's Matrix GPV. Works well!

jaquelines
August 6th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Honeysucklerose, even though it´s on the "problematic" list. NO problems so far.

Keller1128
August 6th, 2011, 09:03 PM
I did one a few days ago and used Tresemme Naturals (no cones). Worked great!

SoulOfTheSea
August 6th, 2011, 10:02 PM
The list is here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128&highlight=plop

:)

Chetanlaiho
August 7th, 2011, 03:32 PM
I've only used Inecto moisture miracle so far which worked fine, I want to try it with my Garnier 3N but I haven't gotten around to it yet :)

archel
August 7th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Giovanni 50:50 worked GREAT for me and I don't think my hair has ever felt so amazing. I used it with 1/4 aloe gel, 1/4 honey, 10 drops of glycerin, microwaved about 30 seconds, combed it through damp hair, put a bag on it and left it for an hour. When I rinsed I swear it was like God blessed me with a whole new head of someone else's awesome hair!

C.H.
August 7th, 2011, 03:58 PM
I don't recommend using Triple Nutrition for SMT. I have some I wanted to use for an SMT, but I looked into it first, and found that a lot of people have had problems with it, so I just used my regular suave ocean breeze instead, which worked just fine.

Vlientje
August 7th, 2011, 04:01 PM
How do you guys know if a conditioner is moisturizing? I was searching for the word on the bottle, couldn't really find anything, so uhm yeah.. how do you know?

Chetanlaiho
August 7th, 2011, 05:18 PM
I don't recommend using Triple Nutrition for SMT. I have some I wanted to use for an SMT, but I looked into it first, and found that a lot of people have had problems with it, so I just used my regular suave ocean breeze instead, which worked just fine.

Ok thanks for the warning =) for some reason my hair seems to like TN best if I just use it as described and rinse it out O_o

prettykitty
August 7th, 2011, 05:37 PM
I've mainly used grown Organics conditioner (no cones, some protein), but I think the best one I've done was with Inecto Coconut (non cones, no protein)....but I was trying to use up the last of it, and now I can't find it anywhere. Back to the drawing board!

gabee
August 7th, 2011, 05:42 PM
I use Tresseme Naturals, the moisturizing formula with avocado and aloe, and it works very well. I also use [almost] pure aloe vera juice (Aubrey Organics).

islandboo
August 7th, 2011, 05:53 PM
I use a combo of Biolage and Honeysuckle Rose (3:1) - it works great.

cocoahair
August 7th, 2011, 05:55 PM
I use a VO5 condish that i get from the dollar tree

alliekat
August 11th, 2011, 11:53 AM

I was going to do my SMT tonight and the only non-coney conditioners I have are Suave Coconut, Ocean Breeze, and Mango mandarin, none of which are listed on the SMT good/bad list! So thank you for your comment about Ocean Breeze working just fine. :cheese:

Khiwanean
August 11th, 2011, 12:00 PM
I've only ever used Triple Nutrition for SMTs and I've never had any problems with it. :shrug:

C.H.
August 11th, 2011, 12:30 PM
I've only ever used Triple Nutrition for SMTs and I've never had any problems with it. :shrug:

Yeah, it seems like the perfect conditioner to use for an SMT. It seems hit or miss in an SMT, so one of these days I still intend to give it a try--maybe I'll be one of those who don't have any problems with it. But for my first time out, I wasn't prepared to take any risks, I just wanted the SMT to go smoothly.

Sundial
August 11th, 2011, 12:38 PM

I'm actually one of those who had problems with Triple Nutrition in SMT :( it could just be the interaction between the brand of aloe vera gel I was using (Fruit of the Earth) and the Triple Nutrition, but nonetheless it resulted in white specks. I couldn't wash the fleck out and had to pick them out slowly. I finally managed to wash them out after a few mermaid soaks and a CO session.

The problem went away after I switched conditioners. Triple Nutrition wasn't doing much for my hair (it was nice but I didn't particularly love it) so I decided to switch conditioner instead of aloe

ETA: Feel free to experiment. If you like the Triple Nutrition and want to use it in a SMT, when you experience issues perhaps you can switch up the aloe or honey and see if there's a difference. Just be sure to experiment on a day when you won't be going out just in case you get the white fleck issue :p

archel
August 11th, 2011, 12:41 PM
I use Giovanni 50:50 Balanced and it works great.

Khiwanean
August 11th, 2011, 03:13 PM
I'm actually one of those who had problems with Triple Nutrition in SMT :( it could just be the interaction between the brand of aloe vera gel I was using (Fruit of the Earth) and the Triple Nutrition, but nonetheless it resulted in white specks. I couldn't wash the fleck out and had to pick them out slowly. I finally managed to wash them out after a few mermaid soaks and a CO session.

The problem went away after I switched conditioners. Triple Nutrition wasn't doing much for my hair (it was nice but I didn't particularly love it) so I decided to switch conditioner instead of aloe

ETA: Feel free to experiment. If you like the Triple Nutrition and want to use it in a SMT, when you experience issues perhaps you can switch up the aloe or honey and see if there's a difference. Just be sure to experiment on a day when you won't be going out just in case you get the white fleck issue :pThat's really strange, since I used the same brand! I've got no idea why it would work fine for me and not for others. :hmm: I did heat the honey up beforehand, and the whole SMT once it was mixed together. And I tend to make my batches too big. Who knows? Maybe it's just something that's hit or miss for some reason.

Carolyn
August 11th, 2011, 03:21 PM
I usually mix 2-3 conditioners. Biolage Conditioning Balm is one of my favorites. I also like the heavier Giovanni conditioner, which ever one that is.

MissManda
August 11th, 2011, 03:37 PM
I used Triple Nutrition of an SMT yesterday and I've gotten some pretty nice results. It makes my hair heavy without weighing it down (Does that even make sense?) so it kind of moves as one body and doesn't fly all over the place even in a stronger breeze.

I also like to use my Tame Cream Rinse for SMT. I don't get any funny lumps even though it has protein in it. I'll admit that any conditioner I've used for SMT has worked pretty well, however. :shrug: I suppose my hair isn't that picky.

SoulOfTheSea
August 11th, 2011, 03:51 PM
I did my first SMT two days ago, and I used Suave Strawberry. It worked fine.

monsterna
August 11th, 2011, 05:36 PM
So I have done three SMTs within the last week. First with Garnier TN, then with Suave Rosemary Mint, and then with Aussie Moist. I don't think either went particularly bad. I think the Aussie Moist worked best, but made that's because I decided to heat up the honey before putting in the other ingredients. I got white specs with Suave the most, but they washed out alright.