PDA

View Full Version : My weird layers/taper/hemline...suggestions needed!

xoerincolleen
August 5th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Hi everyone! So, I've been trying to grow out my layers (to some extent, at least) and they're starting to just look weird. They're the result of a less-than-perfect haircut in March, and the longest layer is significantly longer than the rest. I'm starting to really hate the way it looks. My hair has been growing in a sort of V-shaped hemline, and I'm not sure how much I like it on me. I want my hair to be longer, I think my ultimate goal is about hip length with long layers. Maybe a U-shaped hemline, I don't want blunt, but I don't want a deep V either.
I was wondering if anyone might have any suggestions as to how to trim it. Should I even out the hemline? Get fresh layers cut in? I don't want to lose the length but I also want my hair to look good. Should I just be patient and let it grow?
Here's a picture for reference: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7630&pictureid=109733 NB- It's being blown by the wind so it's not laying nicely, but I think that's a pretty accurate representation of what it looks like on a daily basis.

TIA!

MonaLisa
August 5th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Honestly, I like how it looks. I prefer natural look - not a perfect strict cut, but not fairy-tale also, something like yours is what i like.
From that picture, only thing I see wrong is that longest layer seems to be significantly longer on one side, or is that the wind?
layers and hemline seem fine to me, a nice U and long layers.
I'd suggest a small self trim, just cutting off small bits that stick out. It's risky to mess with layers...at least from my experience, they never turned out as i wanted, at a salon at least...
You want it longer so don't cut much.

Peregrine
August 5th, 2011, 05:25 PM
I second MonaLisa, I like your hair with the layers.
Rounding out that last layer so that it flows with the upper layers should help give it a smoother look.

Carriegirl
August 5th, 2011, 06:18 PM
I think your hair is gorgeous! I would probably just slightly trim the ends to even out the u-hemline, and over time trim the long layers to keep them flowing nicely. Overall I really wouldn't do much. I think it looks nice, and so thick! I'm jealous! ;-)

xoerincolleen
August 5th, 2011, 07:41 PM
From that picture, only thing I see wrong is that longest layer seems to be significantly longer on one side, or is that the wind?

Yeah, it's the wind. It's blowing the left side out and the right side is laying flat. Although the longest layer is significantly longer than the rest of my hair, it's not uneven.

Thank you for your replies! :) I might do a tiny trim and just let it grow. I'm really not sure yet. :ponder:

Sundial
August 5th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I think your hair is gorgeous! I would probably just slightly trim the ends to even out the u-hemline, and over time trim the long layers to keep them flowing nicely. Overall I really wouldn't do much. I think it looks nice, and so thick! I'm jealous! ;-)

I agree with the suggestion! If you just take a little off the ends each time (even a 0.5cm each month can make a big visual difference), you'll end up with a soft U-shape!

Why don't you just trim a tiny amount off for now and continue growing till your next small trim and see how thing s go? By then your layers would be slowly catching up to your length too and it wouldn't seem too bad :p I did that for about 4-5 months and I feel better enough about my layers/hair to continue growing.

Remember, small baby steps first so that you don't regret any drastic changes

xoerincolleen
August 5th, 2011, 08:40 PM
I agree with the suggestion! If you just take a little off the ends each time (even a 0.5cm each month can make a big visual difference), you'll end up with a soft U-shape!

Why don't you just trim a tiny amount off for now and continue growing till your next small trim and see how thing s go? By then your layers would be slowly catching up to your length too and it wouldn't seem too bad :p I did that for about 4-5 months and I feel better enough about my layers/hair to continue growing.

Remember, small baby steps first so that you don't regret any drastic changes

I think I'll probably do that- I did a TINY trim off the longest layer last month, it would make sense to do it again. Maybe I'll take off a half an inch or so. It's annoying, I wish there was some sort of magic way to get great hair right away! I guess if there was such a thing this site wouldn't exist ;)

Thanks everyone! :)

motormuffin
August 6th, 2011, 12:57 AM
I got a crea clip for trimming my layers and I love it...nice even layers. I need to take a new pic. I trimmed about 1 1/2" just recently and it was so easy.

Avital88
August 6th, 2011, 03:34 AM
i like it, its a bit like mine :) you can try feye self trim and just microtrim your ends every other month.
Dont do anything drastic with it now, it is very nice

Avital88
August 6th, 2011, 03:36 AM
Honestly, I like how it looks. I prefer natural look - not a perfect strict cut, but not fairy-tale also, something like yours is what i like.
layers and hemline seem fine to me, a nice U and long layers.
I'd suggest a small self trim, just cutting off small bits that stick out. It's risky to mess with layers...at least from my experience, they never turned out as i wanted, at a salon at least...
You want it longer so don't cut much.

MonaLisa said already what i had to say :)

skyblue
August 6th, 2011, 04:15 AM
I think your hair looks awesome!
I'm soooo jealous of your thickness!
I did the tiny micro trims too for a few months
and it made a huge difference with my layers

xoerincolleen
August 6th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the comments & compliments!! :) I will look into the crea clip, I've seen those on TV but have never thought to buy one before. I will definitely do a small self-trim soon, that will probably make me feel better about my hair.