PDA

View Full Version : I Love My Hairdresser Thread!

Rustella
August 5th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Aw come on guys, surely I am not the only one around here who loves her/his hairdresser. I too have had hack jobs ruin my hair, and on more than one ocassion. In fact the last time is what made me find both LHC and henna. It also made me find though, my current hairdresser. She fixed the mess the other lady made of my hair, and has helped me grow it out ever since. Back then she told me she was a longhair at heart, and that people at her hairdresser school had talked her into chopping her long hair off. She has since grown it out again, right along with me.

I love my hairdresser because: she is the one who got me to stop washing my hair every single day. She is the one who always encouraged me to keep growing, and that I would get there. She is the one who taught me what a "dusting" is, and she NEVER takes anything off without me agreeing to it first. She is also honest with me about what looks good on me and what does not, and how my hair would look best as I was growing it out. She really cares about the health of my hair, and tells me how much of my ends look unhealthy, if they do at all.

I could go on and on as to why I love my hairdresser, but I think you get the point. I have no interest in cutting it myself, and I am thankfull to have found someone who helps me grow and grow and grow.

Do any of you also love your hairdresser, or ones you've had in the past? Do you have any possitive stories to share? Please don't make this into a "I hate hairdressers" thread, I'd rather it fall away than have that happen. This spot is for the blessed of us who have found hairdressers who help us grow and/or keep our hair long.

:cheer::cheer::cheer:

pixi_stix
August 5th, 2011, 05:29 PM
I went to a hairdressers one afternoon to ask her to perm my hair. She refused because perming dyed hair would be bad. I told her I had never dyed my hair in my life. She grabbed my fringe (Almost pulling it out of my had) so she could see the dye. She instantly apologised when she realised it was natural and said she would perm it. I told her to get lost and went and found another hairdresser. The second one told me exactly what I needed to do to make my hair look better. She was also disgusted by the 1st hairdressers attitude. That was 21 years ago and I am still with that second hairdresser. Even when I moved 45 miles away, I still came back to get my hair cut. I then moved 65 miles away and still came back to my hairdressers.

Madora
August 5th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Well, this may be stretching it a bit, but the only "hairdresser" I've known for my locks has been the George Michael Salon of New York City (now known as Madora Long Hair Heaven).

Simply fabulous! I've only been there about 4 times since 1982 and each visit has been fantastic.

I'm returning in just a few weeks (after an absence of many, many years) and can't wait! Pure Hair Nirvana!!!

okiku
August 5th, 2011, 05:30 PM
I love my hair dresser. She works at a salon but makes house calls, which is really convenient.

Cleopatra18
August 5th, 2011, 05:56 PM
There was this one dresser that I really liked simply for chat. Every time I used to go there it was alot of fun and she was very sweet. She took extra care of my hair ( as in looking fabulous, not health wise), and gave me the best treatment (she would spend twice the required amount of time just so the results would be extra-amazing) She was also the one who helped me grow my eye brows back thick and full after being butchered by another stylist (it took us over 6 months) ofcourse, they fired her soon after because the arrogant owner of the salon had some trouble with her. Sadly I didn't have her phone number and I have no idea where she went. =(

Rustella
August 5th, 2011, 06:04 PM
I went to a hairdressers one afternoon to ask her to perm my hair. She refused because perming dyed hair would be bad. I told her I had never dyed my hair in my life. She grabbed my fringe (Almost pulling it out of my had) so she could see the dye. She instantly apologised when she realised it was natural and said she would perm it. I told her to get lost and went and found another hairdresser. The second one told me exactly what I needed to do to make my hair look better. She was also disgusted by the 1st hairdressers attitude. That was 21 years ago and I am still with that second hairdresser. Even when I moved 45 miles away, I still came back to get my hair cut. I then moved 65 miles away and still came back to my hairdressers.

I too have driven an hour away when I moved. Then the lady quit doing hair, and I had to find someone local. You are lucky to have the same lady for 21 years. I once had someone for 8 years. Then I moved out of state, and a two day drive is just too far away to go to get a haircut!

Rustella
August 5th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Well, this may be stretching it a bit, but the only "hairdresser" I've known for my locks has been the George Michael Salon of New York City (now known as Madora Long Hair Heaven).

Simply fabulous! I've only been there about 4 times since 1982 and each visit has been fantastic.

I'm returning in just a few weeks (after an absence of many, many years) and can't wait! Pure Hair Nirvana!!!

I have heard many things of this George Micheal. Oh to have him cut my hair! It seems to me that he needs to train many many hairdressers. You must let us know how your visit went!

Rustella
August 5th, 2011, 06:07 PM
I love my hair dresser. She works at a salon but makes house calls, which is really convenient.

You are very lucky, I don't know anyone who makes house calls anymore!

Rustella
August 5th, 2011, 06:11 PM
There was this one dresser that I really liked simply for chat. Every time I used to go there it was alot of fun and she was very sweet. She took extra care of my hair ( as in looking fabulous, not health wise), and gave me the best treatment (she would spend twice the required amount of time just so the results would be extra-amazing) She was also the one who helped me grow my eye brows back thick and full after being butchered by another stylist (it took us over 6 months) ofcourse, they fired her soon after because the arrogant owner of the salon had some trouble with her. Sadly I didn't have her phone number and I have no idea where she went. =(

I lost a great hairdresser once too, and they would not tell me where she went. I stayed at the salon because it was a good salon. The next lady though did a horrible job on my hair. Because of this, they finally told me where the other one had gone. She had opened her own salon, and only had my old contact information. I was lucky to get her back, and she had to fix a mess because they tried to keep me as a customer. When we get good ones, we like to keep them, don't they know this?

pixi_stix
August 5th, 2011, 06:18 PM
I'm lucky that my hairdresser owns the salon. She became the boss 6 months before I started going there. They considered moving to a better location, but because it was in a basement and myself and another customer used a wheelchair they decided there was no way they could move there.

kidari
August 5th, 2011, 06:29 PM
In the past I have found a few really good hairdressers. When I moved I even traveled to a different state to see my old hairdresser for almost 2 years. They not only listened to me and gave me what I wanted but taught me a lot about styling and caring for my hair, even if it saved me money.

Kyla
August 5th, 2011, 06:40 PM
I haven't visited the hair dresser in a couple months-four or five I think- and plan not to untill December, unless I need to buy a product or something else. BUT the last one I went too was fantastic! She raved about my long hair, complimenting it quite a bit without even trying to sell me something. She took a lot of time in order to cut my hair the way I wanted it, without taking off much length. She even put argon oil in it! :) She was so wonderful.
Oddly enough, her name was Contempt. I'm not even joking.

dragonchickx
August 5th, 2011, 06:44 PM
I have a girl that Ive only been to once but she will forever be my hairdresser.. I went to her after a terrible cut. I was the first person for her to see that morning and they had a break in that morning at the store, despite all of the stress she managed to give me one of my favorite cuts... so sweet, havent seen her is a year but I will go back if I need to..

Lollipop
August 5th, 2011, 07:17 PM
There is a lovely woman that I have seen twice to get my hair cut when I began my "curly journey". However, I haven't been there since the start of my "long hair journey". It was a pricier salon, and she was one of the hairdressers trained to work with curls (she has pretty, shoulder length, blonde 2b/c hair). She cuts my hair dry and gives me nice, long layers that I actually liked! The salon uses the devacurl products, so I don't have to awkwardly request a CO wash. I really liked the shape she gave to the bottom of my hair; the layers are a few inches apart at the most, so it made the bottom look less wide and more balanced.

I am a little sad since I don't lnow when I am going to see her again since I plan to try a trimming experiment once I start to get splits. Also, I am a little worried about my length. I plan to grow and chop back to my favorite length, so once I get there I could go in for some shaping. I am just imagining her trying to cut and wash hip length curls that stratch to TBL. Probably a little awkward.

Lollipop
August 5th, 2011, 07:24 PM
:cool:

That's great :D! I'm really happy for you to be able to go there again, since it's pretty obvious what a positive experience it has been from your previous posts. I'd love to hear about the experience!

end hijack :o

Madora
August 5th, 2011, 07:37 PM
I have heard many things of this George Micheal. Oh to have him cut my hair! It seems to me that he needs to train many many hairdressers. You must let us know how your visit went!

Alas, Dr. Michael passed on a few years ago but his directrice, Maria Matarazzo ("Madora") bought the salon from him in 1989 and it is still going strong in NYC.

I'm hoping to be able to take several pics during my visit and will definitely be posting all about it when I return!

Rustella
August 5th, 2011, 07:39 PM
I am a little sad since I don't lnow when I am going to see her again since I plan to try a trimming experiment once I start to get splits. Also, I am a little worried about my length. I plan to grow and chop back to my favorite length, so once I get there I could go in for some shaping. I am just imagining her trying to cut and wash hip length curls that stratch to TBL. Probably a little awkward.

When my hair was waist and a little longer, a former (and great) hairdresser used to just have me stand up for my haircuts!

Yame
August 5th, 2011, 07:50 PM
I love my hairdresser because she is my mom :)

RoseRedDead
August 5th, 2011, 08:22 PM
I second Yame! Moms who cut hair how we want it are awesome!

aliceinmadness
August 5th, 2011, 08:58 PM
The place I go to has a nice small-town feel where everyone is yakking with each other. It just so happens that the same lady has done my hair every time I've gone (about every 3-4 months for the past year) even though I just walk in...she's conservative in her scissor use so it's bueno with me. I'll be sad to move and try to find someone else that's as reliable. Sigh.

celebriangel
August 5th, 2011, 09:16 PM
I am hopeful I have just found a good hairdresser! A my longhaired housemate went to see someone in the uni salon (yes, they have a salon in the "shops" bit of my uni) who was wonderful, apparently didn't cut too much, and advised said friend to put EVOO in her hair to protect it while swimming!

Another friend went to the same person, coincidentally, and got a lovely cut - just a few inches off the ends with some soft blended layers in the last few inches. I found this out after the first recommendation. So I shall be asking for this hairdresser when I next need a cut! I really hope we work out... :)

Joribear
August 5th, 2011, 09:27 PM
I've been lucky enough to not only :heart: my hairdresser, but have :heart: two hairdressers in my life!!

After my first *ever* haircut when I was 11, when the hairdresser chopped my thigh length hair to just above shoulder, complaining the entire time about why anyone would want such long hair is beyond her (if you can't guess, she was *not* one of my lovely hairdressers), I found Lizette.

She was awesome and took care of my hair for 10 years. If I was having something "major" done (i.e. perm or color), she would have me come in on Sunday, the only day she closed her salon. Mainly because my hair was so thick, any treatment would take hours. She was one of those hairdressers that you could sit in the chair and say: "Eh, I don't care, surprise me!" And it was always fabulous!! Unfortunately, she went and got married and moved to Florida. :cry: And she did this right before my wedding, when I needed her most to turn my dyed red hair back to blonde for the wedding (my grandmother died just four months before my wedding & she was a redhead - it upset my grandfather to see me with red hair because I looked so much like her). I had to go to some crazy woman that I could not wait to get away from!

So, I get married, move around (he was military) and just never got my hair cut... Fast forward several years and I'm divorced and back in my hometown.

My beloved hairdresser was still married and happily enjoying life in Florida. I got a job as a waitress (had been a SAHM the whole time I was married, so took the first job someone was willing to give me a chance). Oh, and my hair was about TBL. My only updo arsenal was a pony tail; which, let's face it, TBL hair in a ponytail as a waitress, yeah, problems....

My mom offered to pay for a hair cut for me and she took me to the salon in Wal-Mart. I took one look at the hairdresser's hair and told my mom: "There is NO way in God's green earth or in HELL will I let that woman touch my hair..." So, we drove around for a bit and found a salon that took walk-ins and wasn't busy.

And Sue entered my life.... I knew she was meant to be my hairdresser when she cried cutting my TBL hair to a chin length bob. She kept asking, over and over: "Are you sure? Really sure? I don't know if I can do this...." She has been taking care of my hair, my sons' hair, my mom's hair and my dad's hair ever since (10 years now). The last time I went in for a trim (April), I told her I was growing my hair out and she was so excited! She's not a long hair, but she loves playing with my hair. :) I had been CO for about two weeks at that point and she noticed the difference right away. She commented on how soft my hair was and asked me what I was doing. When I told her, she was very supportive and said I was doing the right thing for my hair.

*sigh* Yes, I love my hairdresser - as if the rambling post wasn't evidence enough! LOL

greygardens
August 5th, 2011, 10:14 PM
I love my hairdresser. That he's my boyfriend in his spare time helps.

newbeginning
August 6th, 2011, 05:31 AM
I was lucky to find mine by chance. I just made an appointment and I've been with them for years now.

Lollipop
August 6th, 2011, 11:25 AM
I love my hairdresser. That he's my boyfriend in his spare time helps.

This just made me smile :D

LisaButz2001
August 6th, 2011, 05:35 PM
I had one I loved, but after a certain number of years non-citizens, by law have to leave my country. I have not found another one, athough I hope the one I go to on the 20th will be OK. That said, there are 3 on these boards whose advice I enjoy reading and who in real life I probably would like--Rymorg, Eric the Great and UltraBella, which is not to say the others would not be OK, but not many identify themselves/chat much.

elbow chic
August 6th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I loved mine, too, but she was too expensive after I started having babies. Alas, her services were the first thing to go when the money got tight.

Maybe when my kids grow up a little and I get a "real job" I'll be able to afford her once again. :D

jacqueline101
August 6th, 2011, 06:21 PM
I used to like going to the beauty parlor until prices got too high so I went to a place recommended by a friend and whenever I went there they would cut off all my new growth after being told to trim it.

silverstars
August 6th, 2011, 07:07 PM
I love my hair dresser too. :) I have been going to her my entire life, ever since I can remember. She is my mom's hair dresser too. I know I can always rely on her. I go to college in one city an hour away from my parents house and I pretty much live there the whole year round (rent a house). Even though she is an hour away in my home city, I would never consider switching. Her place is open on saturday so when I go home to visit, I could schedule an appointment if I need too. :)

mallorykay13
August 6th, 2011, 07:37 PM
My mommy cuts my hairs. And I love her.

pixi_stix
August 6th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Another thing I love about my hairdressers is if someone asks for something that will damage thier hair, my hairdresser will tell them it will cause damage and she would rather not do it. A 10 year old girl came in with beautiful hair wanting it permed. Lorraine told her she wouldn't do it because it would destroy it. The girls mum came in 10 minutes later to demand why they wouldn't perm her daughters hair. Lorraine told her that the perm would cause incredible damage and she was not willing to do that. The mum was so impressed with Lorraines attitude that she booked her daughter in for a restyle instead of the perm. In my opinion is shows that Lorraine cares for hair more than profit. My friend went in wanting her hair lightened so she could dye it blue and was told to ask somewhere else because they didn't want to cause that kind of damage.

Lady Dragon
August 6th, 2011, 08:37 PM
My hairdresser is an amazing woman!
She has never done my hair wrong, I've been pretty adventurous in the past so she always got to try new things.

spidermom
August 6th, 2011, 09:01 PM
My hair stylist is awesome!

rbecks
August 7th, 2011, 11:16 AM
My hair stylist(s) are my best friend and her mom. They listen to what I want and will let me know if something won't work or might take longer than I want (getting the brown dye out and going back to red hair). I have only left unhappy once, and that was fixed quickly afterwards.

When I donated my hair I had no idea what kind of short hair would work with face so I let Liz (the mom) surprise me and I left with the nicest bob, too much maintenance for me, and they have both supported me in growing it back out (now it's nearly waist length) cutting layers so it looked great at all stages of growing it out.

I love them sooo much and so does my hair :)

BlazingHeart
August 7th, 2011, 02:22 PM
My mother has seen my stylist since I was 8 and my parents moved into their current house. She took me there for my first time when I was 10. My hair went from blah slightly uneven ends to a shining bob that flattered my face and showed off the sunlit gold streaks in my hair.

I'm not sure if I would have learned to love my hair without her; certainly not as quickly as I did. My hair always looks awesome when she cuts it - it falls perfectly every time. She tells me that I'll need to use a blowdryer to style the shorter cuts, but I've never needed to because she makes it lay PERFECTLY. I just have to shape it a little while it's damp and it looks like it was styled professionally that day. I have super-thick hair with just enough wave to be difficult, and when she's done with it, it looks awesome. I've had exactly one cut from her that I didn't like, and she warned me that it wouldn't look like the picture I brought in and tried to talk me out of it before she cut my hair. When she was right and I didn't like it, she managed to get me in again a week later to re-cut it.

She still tries to charge me the same amount she did when I was 12. I only see her once a year or once every two years, as I am now across the country from her, but I make a point of having her be the one to cut my hair when I get it cut. Few stylists take the time to do right by my hair, as it is incredibly thick. They race through and leave me with horrible, uneven, jagged ends. No point in paying for that, if I wanted that look, Mom would do it for free! I think I end up tipping her about 1/3 what she charges me because I know she under-charges me.

I would pay twice what she asks to get that good a cut!

~Blaze

Sunsailing
August 10th, 2011, 12:18 AM
I love my stylist.

She is the one who helped me grow my hair. She only takes off exactly what I ask.
1/4" means 1/4" to her. (Or 1/8", 1/2", etc.).

When you find a good stylist, keep going to her. Don't go in every so often to a different person each time, then expect good results.
When you find a good one, tip well!!!

jacqueline101
October 2nd, 2011, 11:50 AM
I started out loyal to one salon for years until they raised their prices. I went to another and she would give me a hair cut when I wanted a trim. Now I'm at another girl who has cheaper rates and does my fringe like I want them pixie cut. I'm going to brave it and get my hair trimmed some day. It depends how it looks in November.

CurlyCap
October 2nd, 2011, 01:48 PM
I love my hairdresser!

She always cuts the best layers but saves length if I tell her. She's also very upfront about what she feels comfortable doing. For instance, she cuts my hair fantastically, but is still uncomfortable styling curly hair.

She is awesome, and as long as the commute is reasonable, I will be going to her.

Sweet Beat
October 2nd, 2011, 02:04 PM
I love my mom :cheer:

amantha
October 2nd, 2011, 02:21 PM
I love my hair dresser. She's been cutting my hair since I was 4 yrs old. So I guess that's a little over 20 years. :) I was forced to be a longhair because of my mom back then. My hair dresser used to get down on her knees to cut my long hair when I was little. She's helped fix my hair after I went through my punk/hair abuse stage. She'll tell me what looks good and bad on my hair. When I used to dye it black, after she was done cutting and styling it, she used to run her fingers through the ends and say it looked like black velvet. Now that it's all natural and long...she always tells me how pretty my hair is and always points to where on my back it falls now, always seeming impressed. She also did an amazing job putting my hair up when I went to prom years ago. And she's really good at recommending products to help me out with my hair troubles.

amantha
October 2nd, 2011, 02:24 PM
Oh and she's really good at cutting layers without losing the length or making my hair see too thin.