PDA

View Full Version : Pulling my hair back...

faithsdaisy421
August 5th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Okay all... I have a bit of an embarrassing question. I know that the brushes with the little balls on the bristles (like this http://www.goody.com/#/grid/default/products/griptastic_paddle_brush) are terrible for my hair, but they are the only way I can get my hair to lay flat when I am pulling it back into a pony tail. I have tried using my tangle teaser ( I just drop the stupid thing), my comb (it never stays smooth), and my BBB.

Am I just doing something wrong? I would love to throw that brush away, but I swear it is the only thing that makes my hair look decent when I put it up, which is pretty much everyday.

Help. :confused:

Madora
August 5th, 2011, 02:06 PM
I'd say the way you ponytail has to be altered so that it achieves the smooth look you desire.

Be sure to detangle your hair thoroughly before doing anything!

Then, make a triangular part on the top of your hair--something resembling a piece of pie. It is thin in the front and gradually widens as it nears the crown.

Take all the hair in that section and make sure it is smooth and then clip it with a barrette. Also check the front hair in that section to see that it lies smoothly.

Use your comb to make a part just behind your right ear. Bring all the hair from the front and bring it back and up to where the barrette is. Unclip the barette and join that hair to the hair that was in the barrette. Comb it gently so there's no tangles, then clip the barrette back in place.

Repeat with the hair on the other side, being sure to detangle.

Once all the hair that was in the barrette is detangled, the top should look nice and flat and not bumpy. You can then join in any remaining hair and at last ponytail all the hair.

Hope this helps! and please, for the love of your hair, look for a better brush..or comb!

Anje
August 5th, 2011, 02:20 PM
I suppose the first question is, do the little balls rip out your hair? I know a lot of people complain of it, but I've had brushes where they were a problem and brushes where they really didn't seem to be.

My usual method of pulling hair back smoothly is to brush all the hair in the direction I want it to go, but without gathering it. Just get it all aligned going straight back or with a part or whatever. Then I put the brush down and simply gather the aligned hair into a clump, which then generally gets bunned. Leaning back tends to help with all the alignment and gathering. No lumps, and my brush doesn't get flung across the room accidentally.

Kindredraeven
August 5th, 2011, 02:57 PM
. No lumps, and my brush doesn't get flung across the room accidentally.

LOL :laugh: Mine has the same problem

faithsdaisy421
August 5th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Thanks guys!! I am still relatively new at "being nice" to my hair, so these tips are great! Yes, those stupid little balls do mean things to my hair, but I am addicted!

I will try your ideas!! Thank You!

tigereye
August 5th, 2011, 04:22 PM
I use a denman brush that has been in my possesion for close to 10 years now. It has many times been lost and found, and flung in tantrums, but apart from a bashed handle, it is still totally seamless and kind to my hair. Seamless to the point that I looked at it under a microscope and found just thick, ultra smooth bristles. No seams, no jagged points, no nothing. The base the bristles lie on is soft enough that if I haven't untangled properly with my comb, then the bristles bend, rather than ripping out all my hair like some brushes have been known to do. I don't know if they still make them the same way, but I love my denman brush. It also has no balls on the end of the bristles. I think they still sell them as their "classic styling" brushes. They probably still damage hair a bit, but not as much as combs with seams and ball-ended brushes, and I couldn't do with out mine. It always gets my hair to lie flat and sleek.

Intransigentia
August 5th, 2011, 04:44 PM
If leaning back isn't good enough, my trick for getting my hair all directed nicely towards a ponytail/bun site is to lie on my back, with maybe the top half of my head sticking off the mattress, and my hair hanging down over the edge. That way gravity is totally on my side. Of course, you have to have a high enough bed in relation to your hair, and I'm about to outgrow mine at just bast BSL so YMMV.

eezepeeze
August 5th, 2011, 07:27 PM
I detangle my hair really well, pull it into a ponytail, then to smooth it out on top, I spritz it with water lightly and smooth it out with a fine toothed rattail comb. If I have bumps, I thread the tail of the comb through the hair on either side of the bump with the bump under the tail of the comb and then gently run the comb back and forth. It gets rid of the bumps and keeps the hair smooth.