PDA

View Full Version : Terminal length and other questions :)

kellinaturalmom
August 5th, 2011, 10:50 AM
I have 2 questions I would love some feedback on.

1-does "terminal length" mean really long for everyone? Could someone be incapable of growing waist length hair or do you think anyone could do it with proper care?

2-I have heard that brushing with a boar bristle brush is good for your hair and scalp, but what about us baby fine haired people? Would combing with a wide tooth comb as little as possible maybe be better?

* My hair hasn't stopped growing, I am just curious/paranoid about that happening! I would love to hear from anyone who has experienced what they think is their terminal length.
I also have been using a BBB almost every night but have heard many fine heads say that they don't brush their hair at all.

Spring
August 5th, 2011, 10:58 AM
That's a good question. I think anything is possible, but I also believe that in some cases people mistakenly believe that they've reached terminal when they've gone too long without trimming, so they experience a period where they "feel" stuck because it's hard to see any length progress.

ETA: Question #2 is one that concerns me too. I don't think my fine coarse hair would survive that type of brushing. I think the benefit of the brushing is scalp stimulation and moving sebum and dirt away from the scalp.... so maybe scritching and massage can be an alternative.

Top_Cat
August 5th, 2011, 11:02 AM
I always believed my terminal length was around BSL because I was never able to get past that length, but since joining LHC my hair just keeps growing and growing and growing! I'm now at waist and growing still...

kellinaturalmom
August 5th, 2011, 11:19 AM
I always believed my terminal length was around BSL because I was never able to get past that length, but since joining LHC my hair just keeps growing and growing and growing! I'm now at waist and growing still...

Top Cat, your hair is beautiful! Can I ask what you have been doing differently since joining LHC?

faithsdaisy421
August 5th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I have very, very fine hair. I use a BBB 3-5 times a week, depending on how much time I have. I think the BBB does great things for my hair, but I always make sure I have untangled it with my Tangle Teaser first. I use very slow motions as well.

Remember, a BBB is not meant to untangle hair, it is used to distribute oils and massage your scalp =)

gthlvrmx
August 5th, 2011, 02:16 PM
1) There are some people, though it's rare, who's terminal lengths are very short (waist or shorter). It's all in genetics, but most people can at least grow to classic in my opinion. Proper care will maximize their genetic potential so then there will be a more accurate "terminal time". Usually, to reach very long lengths, it requires proper care and fast growing genetics so that terminal "time" doesn't come at a shorter length.
2)As others have said here, BBB is not for detangling so it's advised to detangle (wide tooth comb is good) before brushing. Weaker hair can get damaged a little if you are not being careful, coarse hair can last longer but usually cannot go through the brush as easily(especially if it's thick), so it defeats the purpose of really distributing the oil to all the hair. There are different kinds of brushes though that make brushing easier. Madora is good at all this brush stuff, she's a pro :p

Madora
August 5th, 2011, 02:27 PM
@kellinaturalmom...

Hair grows as long as your genes allow (providing, of course, that you treat it gently!)

As far as boar bristle brushes are concerned, you can still use one on your hair, if you are gentle and brush carefully. The pure boar bristle is the nearest thing in nature that matches the structure of your hair.

If you are concerned about doing too much brushing with your bbb, then perhaps you could consider only brushing a few strokes per day (say 20).

The thing is, to be consistent when brushing and to brush correctly.

Also, above all, Detangle FIRST, with a wide tooth comb, before you brush!

The boar bristle brush not only stimulates the hair follicles, but it removes lint and stuff trapped in your strands (and stuff on your scalp), it distributes the hair's natural sebum, and gives your tresses incredible shine and softness (over time).

Brushing is not simply a question of applying brush to hair. It's HOW you do it that will determine the overall health and beauty of your hair.

Detangling first with a wide tooth comb is half the battle. It is the combination of detangling properly and brushing gently that makes or breaks how your hair will respond and prosper!

Madora
August 5th, 2011, 02:32 PM
1) There are some people, though it's rare, who's terminal lengths are very short (waist or shorter). It's all in genetics, but most people can at least grow to classic in my opinion. Proper care will maximize their genetic potential so then there will be a more accurate "terminal time". Usually, to reach very long lengths, it requires proper care and fast growing genetics so that terminal "time" doesn't come at a shorter length.
2)As others have said here, BBB is not for detangling so it's advised to detangle (wide tooth comb is good) before brushing. Weaker hair can get damaged a little if you are not being careful, coarse hair can last longer but usually cannot go through the brush as easily(especially if it's thick), so it defeats the purpose of really distributing the oil to all the hair. There are different kinds of brushes though that make brushing easier. Madora is good at all this brush stuff, she's a pro :p

Awww, gthlvrmx, you are very kind. I just love my bbb and what it has done for my hair over the years. Many people don't realize what a good bbb can do for your hair - long or short -- because most everything these days is geared to synthetic brushes..etc. But even more appalling is the fact that people don't know how to brush correctly!! So sad..and their hair suffers the consequences.

Honestwitness
August 5th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Madora, my hair is baby fine also and very fragile as well. Just how should I brush my hair with a bbb after detangling with a wide tooth comb? Can you describe the steps?

gthlvrmx
August 5th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Awww, gthlvrmx, you are very kind. I just love my bbb and what it has done for my hair over the years. Many people don't realize what a good bbb can do for your hair - long or short -- because most everything these days is geared to synthetic brushes..etc. But even more appalling is the fact that people don't know how to brush correctly!! So sad..and their hair suffers the consequences.
You're welcome, but it's true! You know brushes like no other! I don't even know how to really brush correctly, it might be OK here and then when my hair isn't curly. It'll still poof though.
One question, do you copy and paste your steps every time? Because i noticed you have almost the same procedures in the same order whenever you post them :p Just wondering, i think it's quite handy if you have it typed down somewhere

Madora
August 5th, 2011, 03:12 PM
You're welcome, but it's true! You know brushes like no other! I don't even know how to really brush correctly, it might be OK here and then when my hair isn't curly. It'll still poof though.
One question, do you copy and paste your steps every time? Because i noticed you have almost the same procedures in the same order whenever you post them :p Just wondering, i think it's quite handy if you have it typed down somewhere

Ah, gthlvrmx, if I was really savy, I'd do just that, copy and paste! But I haven't advanced that far! One of these days, all the brushing info is going into a blog here and that'll save some typing!

But I do enjoy helping with brush questions because brushing really does help your hair in so many ways! It's just HOW you brush that makes all the diff!

Arrow
August 5th, 2011, 03:24 PM
I don't own a wide-tooth comb. I use a tangle-teezer down my hair and then a paddle brush when styling. Could that be damaging to my hair?

On another note, I keep seeing girls with hair wraps. I think that's what they're called - when coloured threads are wound around a small section of hair. Maybe one of them would be useful to assure oneself that the growing process has not stopped!

Madora
August 5th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Madora, my hair is baby fine also and very fragile as well. Just how should I brush my hair with a bbb after detangling with a wide tooth comb? Can you describe the steps?

Hi, Honestwitness!

A lot of the brushing depends on how stiff the bristles are in your boar bristle brush.

If they're very stiff, then use the brush sparingly. If the bristles are more flexible, then you can use it more.

Here's how to brush (as described by Dr. George Michael. My grandmother also prescribed the same method..way before Dr. Michael!):

If possible, bend at the waist and bring all your hair in front of you, like a curtain. (I usually sit down while doing this as I have bad arthritis in both feet).

Using a wide tooth comb, take a small section of hair, and starting at the ends, comb out a few inches. Gradually work up the strand until you reach the scalp.

Repeat for the remainder of the hair.

When all hair has been completely detangled, it is time for the brushing!

Start at the nape and slowly brush down to the ends. Be sure and follow each swipe of the brush with the palm of your other hand. This cuts down on the static electricity made by the brushing.

Brush however many strokes you feel comfortable with for your fine, fragile hair. The thing to remember is to be consistent. Do the same number of strokes every day.

Special note: many members have mentioned that the brush bristles do not penetrate to their scalp. That is true BUT you CAN reach your scalp if you:

a) press the bristles against your forehead, then bring them up into the scalp area, press the bristles down on your scalp hair, then move your brush slightly up. Then still holding the brush, extend your arm out and then down. This requires a little more pressure on the brush but you are not "backcombing" or "teasing" your strands. Repeat all along the scalp line and into the scalp as far as you want.

For extra penetration you can grasp the back of the brush with both hands, then press down firmly until you feel the bristles make contact with the scalp. Then gently move the brush about an inch up then an inch down, in a back and forth motion.

Lift the brush up and put down in another place on the scalp and repeat. To lessen the possibility of tangles, do the up and down motions in one direction first (top to bottom) and then from front to back.

Once you have brushed all your hair as much as you want, then part your hair from nape to ends so that you have two sections.

Grasp the ends of the hair on the right side with your right hand.
Do the same with the hair on the left side.

Stand erect.

Take the hair in the right hand and place it gently over your right shoulder and let it fall down your back. Do the same with the left hand side hair. Check again for any tangles. Now you are ready to style as desired.

Never toss/fling/throw your hair over your head or shoulders as that only creates more tangles!

The thing to remember is that the more control you have over your strands, the less possibility of them tangling!

Hope this helps!

bushy
August 5th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Great brushing lesson...I was having trouble brushing through my hair also but now I have it.

Honestwitness
August 5th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the great detailed instructions, Madora. I'm inspired now to give it a go.

jojo
August 5th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the great detailed instructions, Madora. I'm inspired now to give it a go.

Hi, Madora taught me how to brush and my BBB is my best ever buy. My hair is baby fine too, I need 6 hairs rolled between my fingers to even feel them! My hair is in much better condition and I have a lot less splits.

Hope you get good results x

kellinaturalmom
August 5th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Madora-Thank you so much for that brushing lesson! I do try to be careful and gentle when brushing but sometimes I just plain forget!
So do you prefer one kind of wide tooth comb over another?

Madora
August 5th, 2011, 04:11 PM

You're welcome, Honestwitness!

Pls. let us know how it worked (or didn't) for you!

Honestwitness
August 5th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Jojo, thanks for sharing your testimony. I really appreciate seeing an affirmation from another fine-haired person.

Madora
August 5th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Madora-Thank you so much for that brushing lesson! I do try to be careful and gentle when brushing but sometimes I just plain forget!
So do you prefer one kind of wide tooth comb over another?

You're welcome, kellinaturalmom!

Well, I can't tell you much about the wide tooth comb situation. I used a Madora brand comb for over 15 years until it finally died (i.e. lost half its teeth).

I bought a generic shower comb at the Sally Beauty Supply store and it has been terrific!

Many members here have advised to be careful when you purchase combs. Also check to see that there aren't any rough seams. If there are, then you can file them down one way or another. Luckily, my Sally comb didn't need a thing done to it!

Charybdis
August 6th, 2011, 02:09 PM
I like my Denman carbon comb (http://www.denmanbrush.com/acatalog/Denman-DC02-small-dressing-comb.html), purchased at Sally Salon Service in the UK. Not sure if they carry them in the States.

vintage88
August 6th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Hi, Madora taught me how to brush and my BBB is my best ever buy. My hair is baby fine too, I need 6 hairs rolled between my fingers to even feel them! My hair is in much better condition and I have a lot less splits.

Hope you get good results x

I was just wondering where you got your BBB from? I can't seem to find one in the uk that is pure boar bristle

pinkbunny
August 6th, 2011, 04:10 PM
I have no idea how long my hair will grow - I always had hope yet wavered in expectations, but now that it's passing knee I feel more like cheering it on rather than worry when it will end. Genetic obstacles aside, it is possible to grow fine hair very long. Mine took a lot of kindness and patience!

Dark40
December 12th, 2019, 04:01 PM
Hi all,

I have a terminal length question or discussion. As I was talking to my mom today about terminal length. I was talking to her about this new lady friend of mine from the Long Hair Community Group on Facebook, and she had mid-thigh length hair but she told me yesterday that she had to cut off 6". Because she works at a restaurant. As me and mom were talking she blurred out saying, "Do you really think your hair will grow that long like those people you see on LHC?" And, my response was, 'Yes, I do think so." She said, "She didn't think my hair will ever grow that long." I told her, "I've seen people on LHC that has grown their hair a lot longer than it has ever been in their whole entire life!" And, she was said, "Well, that might be the case." But she doesn't think it's in my DNA. Because, she keeps mentioning about my aunt and my cousin that had long hair like either hip length or tailbone length. She also said, "Your hair may grow a little longer than it is now," "But it's not going to grow to pass your butt." I totally disagree with her. She also said, "Everybody has a terminal length." I said, "Yeah, I already know that."

So, what do you think? My hair is at it's longest it has ever been in my whole entire life. Which is WL.

Ylva
December 12th, 2019, 08:37 PM
Hi all,

I have a terminal length question or discussion. As I was talking to my mom today about terminal length. I was talking to her about this new lady friend of mine from the Long Hair Community Group on Facebook, and she had mid-thigh length hair but she told me yesterday that she had to cut off 6". Because she works at a restaurant. As me and mom were talking she blurred out saying, "Do you really think your hair will grow that long like those people you see on LHC?" And, my response was, 'Yes, I do think so." She said, "She didn't think my hair will ever grow that long." I told her, "I've seen people on LHC that has grown their hair a lot longer than it has ever been in their whole entire life!" And, she was said, "Well, that might be the case." But she doesn't think it's in my DNA. Because, she keeps mentioning about my aunt and my cousin that had long hair like either hip length or tailbone length. She also said, "Your hair may grow a little longer than it is now," "But it's not going to grow to pass your butt." I totally disagree with her. She also said, "Everybody has a terminal length." I said, "Yeah, I already know that."

So, what do you think? My hair is at it's longest it has ever been in my whole entire life. Which is WL.

I mean, what is there to think? You will find out what your terminal length is by taking good care of your hair so it doesn't break off, resulting in a false terminal. You just have to grow onwards and see. There is no other way to figure out your terminal length except exploration.

0xalis
December 13th, 2019, 04:34 AM
Dark40, I think it means you have an awesome opportunity to prove her wrong. Just wait till you see the look on her face when you've done it!

Sarahlabyrinth
December 13th, 2019, 04:58 AM
Dark40, just treat your hair gently, keep it protected, don't cut it - and watch it grow :)

EdG
December 13th, 2019, 07:48 AM
So, what do you think? My hair is at it's longest it has ever been in my whole entire life. Which is WL. There is only one way to find out one's terminal length... let it grow. :)
Ed

Dark40
December 13th, 2019, 08:28 AM
I mean, what is there to think? You will find out what your terminal length is by taking good care of your hair so it doesn't break off, resulting in a false terminal. You just have to grow onwards and see. There is no other way to figure out your terminal length except exploration.

I totally agree with you on that note. The best thing to do is let it grow and see how far it will grow. I think you should explore too, and that is true that you will find out your terminal length by taking good care of your hair so i doesn't break off, resulting in a false terminal.

Dark40
December 13th, 2019, 08:30 AM
Dark40, I think it means you have an awesome opportunity to prove her wrong. Just wait till you see the look on her face when you've done it!

I thank you for saying that I have an awesome opportunity to prove her wrong. Yes, I'm gonna wait till I see the look on her face when I've don't it!

Dark40
December 13th, 2019, 08:31 AM
There is only one way to find out one's terminal length... let it grow. :)
Ed

Yes, you are right! I agree with you on that note. :)

Dark40
December 13th, 2019, 08:32 AM
Sarah, yes you are right. I do all of those things, and it is growing :)

Dark40
December 13th, 2019, 08:33 AM
Thank you all for your responses! Because, I really needed the clarification on the matter. :)

Ylva
December 13th, 2019, 08:45 AM
I totally agree with you on that note. The best thing to do is let it grow and see how far it will grow. I think you should explore too, and that is true that you will find out your terminal length by taking good care of your hair so i doesn't break off, resulting in a false terminal.

I am definitely interested in finding out what my terminal length is at some point in my life. For now, I am not interested in shooting for terminal and I don't know when that time will be, but I think it's one of those things everyone should do at least once. :) It's a weird thought that many people go through their lives with such a mystery regarding their own body.

*Wednesday*
December 13th, 2019, 11:04 AM
Hi all,

From your past posts on other threads, you’ve pondered how long your hair could grow, terminal, genetics, your aunts having long hair perhaps being predictive of your own length. Some people fizzle out at hip, some classic and some can grow to knee and beyond. You just have to wait and see while in the meantime exercising good hair care.

What I find interesting is you noted your mom questioning you “do you really think your hair could grow like LHC?” It seems you are fixated on extreme hair lengths? I thought you mentioned knee or maybe floor, I may be wrong. Please correct me. Knee let’s say is not achievable for many people just by factor of genetics. Maybe that is why your mom said this. My honest feeling, if hair is growing it’s hitting milestones, even if slow. If you are hovering around WL for years, using good hair care, even foregoing chemicals and still WL, maybe you are asking what you already know.

Zesty
December 13th, 2019, 11:14 AM
From your past posts on other threads, you’ve pondered how long your hair could grow, terminal, genetics, your aunts having long hair perhaps being predictive of your own length. Some people fizzle out at hip, some classic and some can grow to knee and beyond. You just have to wait and see while in the meantime exercising good hair care.

What I find interesting is you noted your mom questioning you “do you really think your hair could grow like LHC?” It seems you are fixated on extreme hair lengths? I thought you mentioned knee or maybe floor, I may be wrong. Please correct me. Knee let’s say is not achievable for many people just by factor of genetics. Maybe that is why your mom said this. My honest feeling, if hair is growing it’s hitting milestones, even if slow. If you are hovering around WL for years, using good hair care, even foregoing chemicals and still WL, maybe you are asking what you already know.

If I recall from other threads, I believe Dark40 relaxes a few times a year, which in my mind would keep you from finding true terminal anyway. :hmm:

Ylva
December 13th, 2019, 11:47 AM
If I recall from other threads, I believe Dark40 relaxes a few times a year, which in my mind would keep you from finding true terminal anyway. :hmm:

I think I recall her dyeing as well.

Zesty
December 13th, 2019, 12:34 PM
I think I recall her dyeing as well.

I think you're right.

Anyway, it seems hard enough to find terminal with optimal care, so I wouldn't trust an *apparent* terminal with relaxing and coloring. If you're happy with your hair and your length while using these treatments then great, but if you find "terminal" and aren't happy with it I would suggest reevaluating.

As has been said, you'll never know what your terminal is without going for it and getting there.

Dark40
December 13th, 2019, 02:45 PM
I know I've said on other threads that I relaxed my hair several times a year, and 3 times a year in not that many times. Nowadays I've even been able to stretch my relaxers to once or twice a year, and I don't dye my hair that often either. I dye it whenever I do my relaxers. I grew up and knew a girl that had TBL healthy hair, and she was African-American. She was both relaxing and coloring at the same time, and every time I saw her...her hair was gorgeous. So, I have changed my routine of relaxing from 3 times a year to once or twice a year. When you have relaxed hair you have to keep those relaxers up. Or, you will suffer lots of damage or breakage, and if I stop relaxing and dyeing I will have to chop off all my hair, and start all over again, and I don't want to do that. I know right now that I haven't reached my terminal length. I know that I can prove my mother wrong.

Dark40
December 13th, 2019, 03:13 PM
I am definitely interested in finding out what my terminal length is at some point in my life. For now, I am not interested in shooting for terminal and I don't know when that time will be, but I think it's one of those things everyone should do at least once. :) It's a weird thought that many people go through their lives with such a mystery regarding their own body.

I'm also definitely interested in finding out what my terminal length is too at least some point in life. But in other threads I had said that I had set my goal to mid-thigh length or ankle length. Or, that might even change back up to mid-thigh length. Yeah, find out your terminal length can take many years or forever. I also think it's one of those things everyone should do at least once too. :) Yes, it is a weird thought that many people go through their lives with such a mystery regarding their own body.

Dark40
December 13th, 2019, 03:15 PM

No, I don't relax my hair several times a year. Only once or twice a year. I know if you relax it that often it would keep you from finding true terminal length.

Dark40
December 13th, 2019, 03:20 PM

Yes, I did do that on other threads. Because, that's what I knew or felt that I could grow to extreme lengths. Well, sometimes I change my goal lengths. Sometimes I say I want to grow to mid-thigh length, classic, or ankle length. But now, I'm just gonna let grow and see how long it can grow. No, my hair hasn't been WL for that long. I reached WL for the first time back in June or last year. But I know now that my hair can grow a lot longer than that. Right now, I'm going through some health problems. That could be causing my hair to grow slower at times too.

littlestarface
December 13th, 2019, 03:51 PM
Yes, I did do that on other threads. Because, that's what I knew or felt that I could grow to extreme lengths. Well, sometimes I change my goal lengths. Sometimes I say I want to grow to mid-thigh length, classic, or ankle length. But now, I'm just gonna let grow and see how long it can grow. No, my hair hasn't been WL for that long. I reached WL for the first time back in June or last year. But I know now that my hair can grow a lot longer than that. Right now, I'm going through some health problems. That could be causing my hair to grow slower at times too.

I have to agree with your mom, your hair has been at waist for years now. Its something most will have to face at some point.

Dark40
December 13th, 2019, 05:10 PM
I have to agree with your mom, your hair has been at waist for years now. Its something most will have to face at some point.

I sorry I don't agree with her. I said earlier that my hair hasn't been at waist for years now. I just said that my hair has been at waist since June of last year, and when I was a child my hair grew to almost hip length. So, I know my hair is not at it's terminal length. I know that I can grow a lot longer than at waist.

MusicalSpoons
December 13th, 2019, 05:16 PM
Dark40 I was looking for something else a while ago and I came across a post of yours saying you were at waist, the longest your hair had ever been, in 2017. You've been trying to grow from what, chin-length for nine years without any big chops in that time. Admittedly what you tell us each time is slightly different so none of us know what *exactly* your hair routine is, but it is evidently a combination of colouring, relaxing, washing and blow-drying multiple times a week (even if it's on a low heat, that's a lot of mechanical stress on fragile, damaged hair) and not wearing it in protective styles. Clearly your current hair routine is not allowing you to retain length, so wondering about terminal length is pointless unless you cut out damaging practices and protect your hair really well. As things are, you cannot expect to find your true genetic terminal length.

It is actually possible for people to grow long, relaxed hair if they otherwise protect it and prevent any other damage - AutobotsAttack is a great example - but all the rest of her haircare routine seems to be very different from yours, and the results speak for themselves.
*(Hope you don't mind me mentioning you Autobots, I'll edit to be non-specific if you'd prefer.)

I don't say any of this to be mean or judgemental or as an attack of any kind, but hints are not getting through so it needs to be said clearly. I hope you're able to make a decision about which is more important to you - your current routine, or longer hair. There is no wrong choice, whatever you decide is of course up to you, but you also need to realise it *is* a choice between the two, you cannot have both your current routine and very much longer hair.

I'm not going to say any more because these discussions usually end up going in circles :silly:

littlestarface
December 13th, 2019, 05:44 PM
I sorry I don't agree with her. I said earlier that my hair hasn't been at waist for years now. I just said that my hair has been at waist since June of last year, and when I was a child my hair grew to almost hip length. So, I know my hair is not at it's terminal length. I know that I can grow a lot longer than at waist.

I been seeing your posts for many many years now and you always say your hair is waist so i'm going by that, not what you said on this thread. You do know people can look at all your posts you made on here to see what you said in the past right?

Dark40
December 13th, 2019, 06:13 PM
MusicalSpoons Oh yeah, well I'm so sorry for my mistake. I forgot that it was posted that I reached waist in 2017. Well, I had to trim a couple of centimeters since then. I trimmed back up to MBL but now I'm back at waist. But I do have to tell you my hair isn't damaged at all, and I see my hair on a day to day basis. I know what mechanical damage looks like, and my hair is not that way, and since you've seen my last routine it has changed a lot. I don't wash that frequently anymore. I only wash once or twice a week, and even if I was washing more frequently like 3 or more times a week....so what!

I have the type of hair where it needs to be washed more frequently. It gets greasy within 3 days. Especially, if I put some kind of oil on it. Which I do after every wash. Oh no, I don't mind you mentioning AutobotsAttack. I've spoken to her on a couple of occasions. Yes, you are right. She is a good example.

But I'm not going to say anymore either. Because it doesn't go anywhere but keep going around in circles is true :silly:

But I do thank you for your response though, and I'm gonna say one more thing....after every wash I deep condition my hair. Or, I use a hair mask. Then, after I wash I let my hair air dry 100% of the time.....then I use a blow-dryer on low heat for only 5 minutes. Cone on....that is not that much heat. My hair isn't damaged or isn't breaking, and it's been since July of this year since I've had a relaxer, and I'm about to get another one for the holidays. So, now I can see that I have 6 or 7 months of new growth. ::cheer:

So, that ought to show for some length retaining there. Did you know when you relax your hair it stretches the length?

Dark40
December 13th, 2019, 06:17 PM
I been seeing your posts for many many years now and you always say your hair is waist so i'm going by that, not what you said on this thread. You do know people can look at all your posts you made on here to see what you said in the past right?

No, when I joined here back in 2010 I started out with a chin length bob. Not waist. It took me 5 years to get from a chin length bob to SL. Back then before I learned what I've learned from here my hair grew slow. But now, it's growing a lot faster. Yes, I know now that people can look at all your posts you made on here to see what you said in the past!

amiraaah
December 13th, 2019, 06:45 PM
I don’t know so much about you and i am kind of a new member (joined in 2017). I 100% Agree with MusicalSpoons! There’s no way you can find out your terminal length if you are not taking good care of your hair. Even if you wash your hair once a month not once a week and continue using a blow-dryer your hair will be damaged. Maybe you don’t see it but using heat is not a natural thing for our hair. Whether it’s a lot of damage or a little bit of damage it’s still happening and you taking good care of your hair will not change or undone that. If your hair is at the same length for years this means either-other than having a health problem-you reached your terminal length or you are doing something wrong with your hair. It’s your hair and you do whatever you want but if you want to grow long hair you have to stop damaging it and still if you stopped there’s no guarantee that your hair will grow super long because we all have a terminal length. But at least you will have the opportunity to reach that terminal length.

spidermom
December 13th, 2019, 07:56 PM
It is true that sometimes terminal length can be quite short for a variety of reasons, including genetics. I had a roommate in the past whose terminal length was somewhere around APL-BSL. She didn't do much of anything I'd consider damaging, but I was in touch with her for years, and her hair didn't grow longer even though she wanted it to. Her dream was at least classic length but it wasn't in the genetics for her.

Dark40
December 13th, 2019, 09:02 PM
I don’t know so much about you and i am kind of a new member (joined in 2017). I 100% Agree with MusicalSpoons! There’s no way you can find out your terminal length if you are not taking good care of your hair. Even if you wash your hair once a month not once a week and continue using a blow-dryer your hair will be damaged. Maybe you don’t see it but using heat is not a natural thing for our hair. Whether it’s a lot of damage or a little bit of damage it’s still happening and you taking good care of your hair will not change or undone that. If your hair is at the same length for years this means either-other than having a health problem-you reached your terminal length or you are doing something wrong with your hair. It’s your hair and you do whatever you want but if you want to grow long hair you have to stop damaging it and still if you stopped there’s no guarantee that your hair will grow super long because we all have a terminal length. But at least you will have the opportunity to reach that terminal length.

Welcome to the forum! Yes, I've seen some of your postings on here. Yeah, I do agree with MusicalSpoons to a certain extent. But I keep on telling you guys my hair has not been at waist for years. It's been at waist for 2 years since 2017, and like I said before. In 2017 I trimmed 2cm off, and last year I trimmed off 1cm, and that's why I'm still at waist length. Plus, everybody's hair grows at different rates. It grows fast but it doesn't grow fast like from BSL to hip length in a 3 month period. That's impossible. Even if you do take good care of your hair. With my 2c/3a hair type in order for me to get it looking nice and straight I have to use a little heat. Because, I do not like walking around with poofy-looking hair just to grow it super long. You can use heat on your hair and still grow it super long if you want.

I've always known that the long hair specialist George Michael used heat on his client's hair to dry it, and their hair still grew to extreme lengths. He didn't use a blow dryer. He used rollers and a hooded dryer to dry his client's hair, and that is still using heat. I know that you guys here at LHC don't use heat, and I honestly don't believe that but the majority of you longhairs and the majority of you guy's hair is straight you don't need to use any heat in order for your hair to look nice but with my hair type I do.

Ylva
December 14th, 2019, 02:52 AM
I know I've said on other threads that I relaxed my hair several times a year, and 3 times a year in not that many times. Nowadays I've even been able to stretch my relaxers to once or twice a year, and I don't dye my hair that often either. I dye it whenever I do my relaxers. I grew up and knew a girl that had TBL healthy hair, and she was African-American. She was both relaxing and coloring at the same time, and every time I saw her...her hair was gorgeous. So, I have changed my routine of relaxing from 3 times a year to once or twice a year. When you have relaxed hair you have to keep those relaxers up. Or, you will suffer lots of damage or breakage, and if I stop relaxing and dyeing I will have to chop off all my hair, and start all over again, and I don't want to do that. I know right now that I haven't reached my terminal length. I know that I can prove my mother wrong.

There are always going to be people in the world who can do nuclear experiments on the top of their head and still have nice hair. However, everyone is an individual and we can't compare ourselves to others. That somebody's hair can take relaxers and dyes and not break off is nice, and as awesome as it would be if that was a universal fact for everyone, it's not. I am one of those people who can have long hair while bleaching it and wearing it down a lot even though my hair is fine, but I am definitely an exception, and that doesn't mean my hair can take a lot of other stuff on top of that. And as you know, I have decided to quit the bleach anyway. :)

Dark40 I was looking for something else a while ago and I came across a post of yours saying you were at waist, the longest your hair had ever been, in 2017. You've been trying to grow from what, chin-length for nine years without any big chops in that time. Admittedly what you tell us each time is slightly different so none of us know what *exactly* your hair routine is, but it is evidently a combination of colouring, relaxing, washing and blow-drying multiple times a week (even if it's on a low heat, that's a lot of mechanical stress on fragile, damaged hair) and not wearing it in protective styles. Clearly your current hair routine is not allowing you to retain length, so wondering about terminal length is pointless unless you cut out damaging practices and protect your hair really well. As things are, you cannot expect to find your true genetic terminal length.

It is actually possible for people to grow long, relaxed hair if they otherwise protect it and prevent any other damage - AutobotsAttack is a great example - but all the rest of her haircare routine seems to be very different from yours, and the results speak for themselves.
*(Hope you don't mind me mentioning you Autobots, I'll edit to be non-specific if you'd prefer.)

I don't say any of this to be mean or judgemental or as an attack of any kind, but hints are not getting through so it needs to be said clearly. I hope you're able to make a decision about which is more important to you - your current routine, or longer hair. There is no wrong choice, whatever you decide is of course up to you, but you also need to realise it *is* a choice between the two, you cannot have both your current routine and very much longer hair.

I'm not going to say any more because these discussions usually end up going in circles :silly:

Very well said!

Dark40, there is nothing wrong with relaxing and dyeing and blowdrying and wearing one's hair down if that's what you prefer to do with your hair! But everyone here is just trying to help you. You seem to really want to grow your hair longer, and as it is now, it doesn't seem to be able to grow much longer than waist. We're not trying to attack you, only help you reach your TRUE terminal length. :)

With my 2c/3a hair type in order for me to get it looking nice and straight I have to use a little heat. Because, I do not like walking around with poofy-looking hair just to grow it super long. You can use heat on your hair and still grow it super long if you want.

I've always known that the long hair specialist George Michael used heat on his client's hair to dry it, and their hair still grew to extreme lengths. He didn't use a blow dryer. He used rollers and a hooded dryer to dry his client's hair, and that is still using heat. I know that you guys here at LHC don't use heat, and I honestly don't believe that but the majority of you longhairs and the majority of you guy's hair is straight you don't need to use any heat in order for your hair to look nice but with my hair type I do.

It is quite saddening that you feel you must get your hair straighter in order for it to look "nice". Usually, hair is at its happiest when you respect its natural shape rather than trying to make it succumb into something different. I don't think it's your "fault" in any manner that you think only straight hair looks nice, you've probably been conditioned to think so by your mother or something like that, but one thing we like to underline here is that no texture is nicer or better than another. They just require a bit different care. It's not always fair, but if you want your hair to be happy, you have to respect the hair's wishes. This goes for all textures.

I, for example, am encouraging my waves, and that's resulting in LESS frizz and poof than if I treated my hair as if it was straight.

I think your hair looks quite awesome curly, actually. :) I would love to have your curls!

lapushka
December 14th, 2019, 03:30 AM
MusicalSpoons Oh yeah, well I'm so sorry for my mistake. I forgot that it was posted that I reached waist in 2017. Well, I had to trim a couple of centimeters since then. I trimmed back up to MBL but now I'm back at waist. But I do have to tell you my hair isn't damaged at all, and I see my hair on a day to day basis. I know what mechanical damage looks like, and my hair is not that way, and since you've seen my last routine it has changed a lot. I don't wash that frequently anymore. I only wash once or twice a week, and even if I was washing more frequently like 3 or more times a week....so what!

I have the type of hair where it needs to be washed more frequently. It gets greasy within 3 days. Especially, if I put some kind of oil on it. Which I do after every wash. Oh no, I don't mind you mentioning AutobotsAttack. I've spoken to her on a couple of occasions. Yes, you are right. She is a good example.

But I'm not going to say anymore either. Because it doesn't go anywhere but keep going around in circles is true :silly:

But I do thank you for your response though, and I'm gonna say one more thing....after every wash I deep condition my hair. Or, I use a hair mask. Then, after I wash I let my hair air dry 100% of the time.....then I use a blow-dryer on low heat for only 5 minutes. Cone on....that is not that much heat. My hair isn't damaged or isn't breaking, and it's been since July of this year since I've had a relaxer, and I'm about to get another one for the holidays. So, now I can see that I have 6 or 7 months of new growth. ::cheer:

So, that ought to show for some length retaining there. Did you know when you relax your hair it stretches the length?

I thought you had decided to accept your natural texture because it was "looser than you remembered", that you were going to stop relaxing your hair? I mean that was the last you said on that matter, until now.

amiraaah
December 14th, 2019, 06:03 AM
Welcome to the forum! Yes, I've seen some of your postings on here. Yeah, I do agree with MusicalSpoons to a certain extent. But I keep on telling you guys my hair has not been at waist for years. It's been at waist for 2 years since 2017, and like I said before. In 2017 I trimmed 2cm off, and last year I trimmed off 1cm, and that's why I'm still at waist length. Plus, everybody's hair grows at different rates. It grows fast but it doesn't grow fast like from BSL to hip length in a 3 month period. That's impossible. Even if you do take good care of your hair. With my 2c/3a hair type in order for me to get it looking nice and straight I have to use a little heat. Because, I do not like walking around with poofy-looking hair just to grow it super long. You can use heat on your hair and still grow it super long if you want.

Thank you :) first,as i said before i joined 2017 so i don’t know for how long your hair has been at waist. I agree with you hair does grow at different rates. However you made a post here in a thread about terminal length sharing something that happened with your mom and Since i became a member here i always see you bringing up this topic which means that you are uncertain about whether your hair will grow to extreme lengths or not. That’s why i felt like saying maybe if you stopped this and that you’ll be able to tell what’s your terminal length.
Second, you said that “the majority of you guys have straight hair” but i don’t have straight hair. My hair type is exactly the same as yours.i don’t personally think that such a hair type needs a relaxer(it’s a mix of wavy and curly hair)but of course you do whatever you want with your hair.
Third, i didn’t say that you have to stop using heat in order to grow your hair out. I used to straighten my hair every time i wash it and still i was able to grow it to hip length. But this is not the case for everybody. And also this doesn’t mean that your hair will not be looking “not at it’s best”. Heat will affect your hair health even if your hair looks nice this doesn’t mean that there’s no damage done. Finally, i am not telling you stop using heat or stop relaxing your hair. I’m just trying to help you out because you aren’t sure about your hair and you seem to really want to grow it out so long. Good luck :love:

Dark40
December 14th, 2019, 12:20 PM
There are always going to be people in the world who can do nuclear experiments on the top of their head and still have nice hair. However, everyone is an individual and we can't compare ourselves to others. That somebody's hair can take relaxers and dyes and not break off is nice, and as awesome as it would be if that was a universal fact for everyone, it's not. I am one of those people who can have long hair while bleaching it and wearing it down a lot even though my hair is fine, but I am definitely an exception, and that doesn't mean my hair can take a lot of other stuff on top of that. And as you know, I have decided to quit the bleach anyway. :)

Very well said!

Dark40, there is nothing wrong with relaxing and dyeing and blowdrying and wearing one's hair down if that's what you prefer to do with your hair! But everyone here is just trying to help you. You seem to really want to grow your hair longer, and as it is now, it doesn't seem to be able to grow much longer than waist. We're not trying to attack you, only help you reach your TRUE terminal length. :)

It is quite saddening that you feel you must get your hair straighter in order for it to look "nice". Usually, hair is at its happiest when you respect its natural shape rather than trying to make it succumb into something different. I don't think it's your "fault" in any manner that you think only straight hair looks nice, you've probably been conditioned to think so by your mother or something like that, but one thing we like to underline here is that no texture is nicer or better than another. They just require a bit different care. It's not always fair, but if you want your hair to be happy, you have to respect the hair's wishes. This goes for all textures.

I, for example, am encouraging my waves, and that's resulting in LESS frizz and poof than if I treated my hair as if it was straight.

I think your hair looks quite awesome curly, actually. :) I would love to have your curls!

I did not say that everyone was able to take relaxers and hair dyes. I'm not trying to comparing anyone to anyone. All I was saying was that African-Americans can both relax and color their hair, and have nice healthy long hair as well. Because, I've experienced that as well, and I know other's that has experienced it, and that is definitely a fact. I appreciate you guys trying to help me but it more sounds like you guys are doing nothing but trying to attack me. Because, every time I bring up an issue you attack me with it, and I am sick and tired of it.

I thank you very much for you sweet compliment on my curly hair! :) I bet you wish that you had my curls.:) Like, what others always say, "We always want something we don't have!" There are products out there will prevent your have from damage or breakage. They have worked for me, and that's a fact. Why is preferring my hair to be straight you are saddened by that? For many years my hair has been a lot more manageable with it being straight rather than curly. My curls are pretty but they are unruly and thick. That's why I relax it only a few times a year. Which is again, twice a year, and to clarify you I have said in other posts on here, and in here that I don't wear my hair down or loose all of the time. The majority of the times my hair is up in a bun, and let me tell you.....it's not good to wear your hair in the same updo style all of the time anyways. Because, that causes friction and breakage.

Dark40
December 14th, 2019, 12:22 PM

Very well said!

I did not say that everyone was able to take relaxers and hair dyes. I'm not trying to comparing anyone to anyone. All I was saying was that African-Americans can both relax and color their hair, and have nice healthy long hair as well. Because, I've experienced that as well, and I know other's that has experienced it, and that is definitely a fact. I appreciate you guys trying to help me but it more sounds like you guys are doing nothing but trying to attack me. Because, every time I bring up an issue you attack me with it, and I am sick and tired of it.

I thank you very much for you sweet compliment on my curly hair! :) I bet you wish that you had my curls.:) Like, what others always say, "We always want something we don't have!" There are products out there will prevent your have from damage or breakage. They have worked for me, and that's a fact.

littlestarface
December 14th, 2019, 12:24 PM
No one is attacking, I just said maybe its time to realize you might be at terminal length.

Dark40
December 14th, 2019, 12:24 PM
I thought you had decided to accept your natural texture because it was "looser than you remembered", that you were going to stop relaxing your hair? I mean that was the last you said on that matter, until now.

Well, I'm undecided actually. Right now, I'm going to see how my natural waves and curls hold out, and I'll decide from there. Because, at times my hair misbehaves and get unruly, and unmanageable.

Dark40
December 14th, 2019, 12:40 PM
Thank you :) first,as i said before i joined 2017 so i don’t know for how long your hair has been at waist. I agree with you hair does grow at different rates. However you made a post here in a thread about terminal length sharing something that happened with your mom and Since i became a member here i always see you bringing up this topic which means that you are uncertain about whether your hair will grow to extreme lengths or not. That’s why i felt like saying maybe if you stopped this and that you’ll be able to tell what’s your terminal length.
Second, you said that “the majority of you guys have straight hair” but i don’t have straight hair. My hair type is exactly the same as yours.i don’t personally think that such a hair type needs a relaxer(it’s a mix of wavy and curly hair)but of course you do whatever you want with your hair.
Third, i didn’t say that you have to stop using heat in order to grow your hair out. I used to straighten my hair every time i wash it and still i was able to grow it to hip length. But this is not the case for everybody. And also this doesn’t mean that your hair will not be looking “not at it’s best”. Heat will affect your hair health even if your hair looks nice this doesn’t mean that there’s no damage done. Finally, i am not telling you stop using heat or stop relaxing your hair. I’m just trying to help you out because you aren’t sure about your hair and you seem to really want to grow it out so long. Good luck :love:

You're welcome :) Yeah, but the thing is I am not doing all of that much to my hair. I'm only shampooing, conditioning, deep conditioning, and using all types of oils on my entire hair to keep it well-moisturized, and I really believe you guys are over-exaggerating when it comes to talking about how often I relax and dye my hair. I don't relax or dye my hair now for only twice a year. Which is every 6 months. Yes, I do want to grow it so long. Thank you :love:

lapushka
December 14th, 2019, 12:40 PM
Well, I'm undecided actually. Right now, I'm going to see how my natural waves and curls hold out, and I'll decide from there. Because, at times my hair misbehaves and get unruly, and unmanageable.

Now you say you're undecided, but in that message I responded to from you, you clearly stated you were going to relax for the Holidays? Now I'm confused. :confused:

Dark40
December 14th, 2019, 12:41 PM
Now you say you're undecided, but in that message I responded to from you, you clearly stated you were going to relax for the Holidays? Now I'm confused. :confused:

Yes, I've decided to relax for the holidays. I haven't had one since July.

Dark40
December 14th, 2019, 12:42 PM
No one is attacking, I just said maybe its time to realize you might be at terminal length.

Yeah, I understand what you are saying but as a child I almost had hip length hair. So, no I don't think I'm at terminal length now.

Ylva
December 14th, 2019, 12:44 PM
Yeah, I understand what you are saying but as a child I almost had hip length hair. So, no I don't think I'm at terminal length now.

As a child, you were also shorter, so hip length as a child = something else as an adult - waist or BSL maybe.

Dark40
December 14th, 2019, 02:00 PM
As a child, you were also shorter, so hip length as a child = something else as an adult - waist or BSL maybe.

Yes, that's true. I'm sorry I was meaning when I was 12 or 13 years old my hair was almost hip length, and now as an adult my height didn't change from adolescent years at all. I've been 4'11" or 5' even during my adolescent years.

lapushka
December 14th, 2019, 02:28 PM
Yes, I've decided to relax for the holidays. I haven't had one since July.

Now you say you've decided again. OK, here we go again with the circles.

blackgothicdoll
December 14th, 2019, 02:45 PM
My hair is at it's longest it has ever been in my whole entire life. Which is WL.

Hmmmm........

amiraaah
December 14th, 2019, 03:49 PM
Hmmmm........

I’m even more confused now than i was already :confused:

littlestarface
December 14th, 2019, 03:59 PM
Her threads will do that to anyone ^

Dark40
December 14th, 2019, 05:21 PM
What are you so confused about? Ohhhh, I get it. You all are confused because you don't understand why I'm relaxing and dyeing my hair. I've already explained to you millions of times why I prefer to relax and dye my hair....even though it is curly with a few waves in it.

littlestarfaceThat is not true. None of my threads are confusing. You guys just don't agree with me. Well, everybody has a right to their own opinion just like I do.

*Wednesday*
December 14th, 2019, 05:46 PM

Hi Dark40. I'm having DejaVu. I'm not meaning to "bully" you as I may be accused. I think some realities need to be understood. Here, you mentioned the longest as a 13 year old child is MBL.

"The longest my hair was during childhood up until I was 13 years old was MBL"
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-122612.html

I think if anything were true, it would be consistent. Your looking for people to give you an answer(s) on how long hair may or can grow, however as others mentioned we get sent in circles. Bottom line.....The advice you seem to reject at least for you, is to leave your hair alone using no chemicals. You don't like your curly "poofy" hair, then continue the trend you are on, asking this and many questions over and over again. This advice was given to you because you are not seeing optimal results. Take the next step and eliminate something that is mechanically damaging. You seem to be resistant to this, from people with long hair (which not all of them have straight hair). Autobots was mentioned, relaxes her hair and it grows. She is using a regimen you may want to look into.

If you believe you can grow your hair as you told your mom and the forum due to genetics (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-140574.html), we shouldn't even be having this discussion. I don't think we can give you an answer you would be satisfied with. We don't know what length your hair actually is or was, at 13, 5 years ago or today. Best of luck to you.

littlestarface
December 14th, 2019, 05:58 PM
Hi Dark40. I'm having DejaVu. I'm not meaning to "bully" you as I may be accused. I think some realities need to be understood. Here, you mentioned the longest as a 13 year old child is MBL.

I think if anything were true, it would be consistent. Your looking for people to give you an answer(s) on how long hair may or can grow, however as others mentioned we get sent in circles. Bottom line.....The advice you seem to reject at least for you, is to leave your hair alone using no chemicals. You don't like your curly "poofy" hair, then continue the trend you are on, asking this and many questions over and over again. This advice was given to you because you are not seeing optimal results. Take the next step and eliminate something that is mechanically damaging. You seem to be resistant to this, from people with long hair (which not all of them have straight hair). Autobots was mentioned, relaxes her hair and it grows. She is using a regimen you may want to look into.

If you believe you can grow your hair as you told your mom and the forum due to genetics (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-140574.html), we shouldn't even be having this discussion. I don't think we can give you an answer you would be satisfied with. We don't know what length your hair actually is, at 13 or today.

Man I remember singing bird she had the most amazing hair. I wish I had hair like her. I wonder why she stopped coming here? I miss her pictures so much :(

Dark40
December 14th, 2019, 06:31 PM

If you believe you can grow your hair as you told your mom and the forum due to genetics (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-140574.html), we shouldn't even be having this discussion. I don't think we can give you an answer you would be satisfied with. We don't know what length your hair actually is or was, at 13, 5 years ago or today. Best of luck to you.

Yes, that is true that I said my hair at 13 was MBL. To me on me as me being short at 4'11" is pretty close to HL on me. As you know, different lengths on the body are different on different individuals. You might be a lot taller than me. So, HL might be in a different place on your body than me.

And what I am doing to my hair is not damaging. I haven't relaxed or put any chemicals on my hair in 6 months. I DO have some results. Just like I've said in an earlier post on this thread that now I have 6 months of new growth. New growth. So, I am now making progress with my hair getting longer now, can't you see in my profile that my hair is WL+? Now, it's 2 inches above HL. So, it's now on it's way to HL. So, yes I have made a lot of growth progress within the last 6 months.

Yeah, I know about AutobotsAttack's routine. I'm not knocking it. It is a good routine for relaxed hair but with my hair....I do appreciate yall's advice but I have that right to not follow it or agree with it.

*Wednesday*
December 14th, 2019, 06:37 PM
Man I remember singing bird she had the most amazing hair. I wish I had hair like her. I wonder why she stopped coming here? I miss her pictures so much :(

I know. Maybe she will come back at some point and start posting again. You have beautiful hair. I hope you don’t go 😊

blackgothicdoll
December 14th, 2019, 09:17 PM
Yeah, I know about AutobotsAttack's routine. I'm not knocking it. It is a good routine for relaxed hair but with my hair....I do appreciate yall's advice but I have that right to not follow it or agree with it.

Then stop asking ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

littlestarface
December 14th, 2019, 09:20 PM
I know. Maybe she will come back at some point and start posting again. You have beautiful hair. I hope you don’t go ��

Lol naaah I wont go I hope you don't go either :p

Dark40
December 14th, 2019, 09:23 PM
Then stop asking ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Look, I have stopped asking. Yall need to stop the bulling. <>

lapushka
December 15th, 2019, 04:52 AM
What are you so confused about? Ohhhh, I get it. You all are confused because you don't understand why I'm relaxing and dyeing my hair. I've already explained to you millions of times why I prefer to relax and dye my hair....even though it is curly with a few waves in it.

littlestarfaceThat is not true. None of my threads are confusing. You guys just don't agree with me. Well, everybody has a right to their own opinion just like I do.

I am confused on the fact that you say, OTOH you are relaxing, then in an answer to me asking about the fact that you said you weren't anymore, you say you are still debating it, thinking about it, not sure, then the next answer that comes is that you definitely will be relaxing. See, why I'm confused? I mean, which is it? :lol: You can't do both, hardly.

Dark40
December 15th, 2019, 05:18 PM
I am confused on the fact that you say, OTOH you are relaxing, then in an answer to me asking about the fact that you said you weren't anymore, you say you are still debating it, thinking about it, not sure, then the next answer that comes is that you definitely will be relaxing. See, why I'm confused? I mean, which is it? :lol: You can't do both, hardly.

I'm sorry if I've confused you. I know I've said back and fourth that I wasn't going to relax. Or, that I was going to do it. Now, I have decided to go on ahead and do it after it's been 6 months. When you have relaxed hair or relaxed ends you have to decide to either keep up the relaxing. Or, chop it all off and go natural. Because, if you stop relaxing while you still have relaxed ends it can cause breakage with that new growth continuing to come in, and the relaxed hair is heavier than the new growth, and if you don't keep retouching the new growth it will break off.

lapushka
December 15th, 2019, 05:24 PM
I'm sorry if I've confused you. I know I've said back and fourth that I wasn't going to relax. Or, that I was going to do it. Now, I have decided to go on ahead and do it after it's been 6 months. When you have relaxed hair or relaxed ends you have to decide to either keep up the relaxing. Or, chop it all off and go natural. Because, if you stop relaxing while you still have relaxed ends it can cause breakage with that new growth continuing to come in, and the relaxed hair is heavier than the new growth, and if you don't keep retouching the new growth it will break off.

First time I've heard that. I have seen plenty people transition and keep both textures for a really long time.

CuteCrow
December 16th, 2019, 03:40 AM
I think you are misinformed Dark40, the breakage is not from the new growth it's mostly because the relaxed ends needs are damaged and you have two textures that need different treatment (and most people fail to do that). I never heard that about relaxed hair being heavier? And not sure where it comes from.
What's true is that if you decide to go natural there's going to be a demarcation line between the two textures and that's where more of the breakage takes place. But if you want to go natural you have to stop relaxing at some point

Dark40
December 16th, 2019, 09:52 AM
First time I've heard that. I have seen plenty people transition and keep both textures for a really long time.

Yes, it's true. People who have 2 different textures for a long time might work but that doesn't work for me. Because, I've noticed when I have 2 hair textures I suffer hair loss of lots of shedding.

blackgothicdoll
December 16th, 2019, 10:01 AM
I think you are misinformed Dark40, the breakage is not from the new growth it's mostly because the relaxed ends needs are damaged and you have two textures that need different treatment (and most people fail to do that). I never heard that about relaxed hair being heavier? And not sure where it comes from.
What's true is that if you decide to go natural there's going to be a demarcation line between the two textures and that's where more of the breakage takes place. But if you want to go natural you have to stop relaxing at some point

Yep, it's absolutely possible, but hard. Don't know why people confuse hard with impossible. Here is my hair inspiration, she transitioned without a BC in this album for three years: https://public.fotki.com/Herlucidsky/the-long-transition/

Her hair is lower thigh now.

Personally, I didn't have the patience and big chopped after a year. My mom and sister have hair that is not as coarse as mine, big sis is a 3c mix and I'm still not sure of my moms, she looks 3c/4a but not nearly as thick as mine or my sis. My sister just stopped relaxing, never big chopped, just completely quit cold turkey years ago. She's fully natural now and her hair is long, thick and healthy. Mom had very thinning hair from relaxing and using too much heat and dye, she's stopped relaxing for almost two years now and just heat trained it. Her hair's definitely improving, but I'm trying to convince her to use less heat. But those are three cases of transitions without big chop's, just to say it's not a myth....

Dark40
December 16th, 2019, 10:11 AM
Not I am not misinformed CuteCrow, There are articles on google that talks about stretching relaxers and going natural, and yes that is a fact that relaxed hair is heavier than virgin hair. I did not say new growth causes breakage. I was referring to if you don't retouch up the new growth that can cause breakage, and it's a proven fact. Here is an article here, and I have a video from ShimaHair21 that talked about her hair breakage after waiting almost 2 years to relax her hair, and she had to cut back to WL.

Google says:As you stretch your relaxer, the line of demarcation (that point where your relaxed hair meets your newgrowth) will become increasingly fragile which means doing your hair everyday or playing in it can lead to breakage. ... Both accomplish what a rat tooth comb does with less hair leaving your scalp.Sep 23, 2014

So, nope.....I totally disagree with you on that my relaxed ends are damaged. If it was damaged I wouldn't be seeing any new growth, and I am seeing new growth and no hair loss or shedding. So, you're wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZJRTPPypgg

The-Young-Maid
December 16th, 2019, 10:12 AM

Am I crazy? I feel like for the longest time you kept saying how you get like 1"+ per month. That you know your hair grows fast because you see your roots. So how would it still be at waist unless you're causing so much damage that it's breaking off??

Also, you clearly already decided what you'd rather have so I'm not sure why you bother asking about terminal length. You said you'd rather style your hair than grow long. Then why are you obsessed with something you don't seem to actively prioritize?!

The-Young-Maid
December 16th, 2019, 10:18 AM
Yes, that's true. I'm sorry I was meaning when I was 12 or 13 years old my hair was almost hip length, and now as an adult my height didn't change from adolescent years at all. I've been 4'11" or 5' even during my adolescent years.

Okay but how often were you trimming, relaxing, dying and heat styling at 12? I'd bet money on waaay less than now. Think about the CUMULATIVE damage.

lapushka
December 16th, 2019, 10:34 AM
Okay but how often were you trimming, relaxing, dying and heat styling at 12? I'd bet money on waaay less than now. Think about the CUMULATIVE damage.

That's actually a good point. WL/HL might be the longest achievable.

Dark40
December 16th, 2019, 11:59 AM

When I was 12 i was trimming every 2 months the same day I was relaxing, and I was also relaxing every 2 months as well. No, I was still blow-drying just like what I'm doing now. Now, I'm doing less blow-drying than I was doing when I was 12. When I was 12 I was even blow-dry when my hair was 100% damp. Look, after all of these f what I've been doing to my hair hasn't had any CUMULATIVE damage at all, and I know that for a fact from experience.

Dark40
December 16th, 2019, 12:01 PM
Yall just don't understand that I don't have the type of hair where I can just be natural with. It is very thick and unmanageable even with my hair type being 2c/3a. That type of hair can be very thick and frizzy-looking. I don't care what any of you say. That's my opinion.

The-Young-Maid
December 16th, 2019, 12:47 PM
I'm gonna state the obvious here; you don't know what healthy hair feels/looks like.

You've haven't had virgin hair since...??? Why should we believe your hair is healthy? After everything you tell us you do to it? Your hair isn't special. It's isn't magically damage proof. You can do whatever you want to it, it's your hair, but you need to accept that there WILL BE DAMAGE. This is what is keeping your hair from retaining length. Just using deep conditioners doesn't erase the damage. No product will. Once it's there it'll stay til you cut it off. THAT is why you are stuck in this cycle of grow. damage. trim. grow. damage. trim. Only doing one damaging thing is fine if you're careful with everything else but that's not what you're doing. Don't pretend you have no idea why your hair isn't growing past a certain length. You're seeing the effects first hand. But you like to call it a growth stall.

You've been here since 2010 and haven't learned anything. Every time you ask questions we answer but you never really listen. You only hear what you want to hear. Your story is always changing. I agree with your mother. You need to be realistic about your length goals. Because from what you're sharing with us; you'd rather have styled hair than length*.

You do care what we say, but only if you agree with it. Everything else is just bullying, right?

end/rant
*Which is a perfectly okay preference. But don't expect both and then say we're wrong.

And so help me if you keep repeating our responses like an essay prompt I'll lose my damn mind

blackgothicdoll
December 16th, 2019, 12:50 PM
And so help me if you keep repeating our responses like an essay prompt I'll lose my damn mind

help I'm dying :spitting:

lapushka
December 16th, 2019, 01:41 PM
I'm gonna state the obvious here; you don't know what healthy hair feels/looks like.

Very true. Virgin hair = healthy hair. Dyed hair = damaged to some degree. Permed or relaxed hair = damaged some more. Combine the two and you've got major damage. Combine that with years of doing this = cumulative damage.

You have to accept these things, Dark40! You can't say you know what healthy hair is, what damage free hair is, when your hair is totally damaged due to the things you are doing to it. It's not virgin hair.

And 2c/3a hair needing a relaxer? That is... so odd!

But... I'm "over" getting worked up about someone else's hair. No-one is going to get me that far.

You do you. But I'd totally wish the threads that popped up weren't always the same. You have been here a long time and haven't gotten past waist. That should tell you all you need to know.

leafygreens18
December 16th, 2019, 03:11 PM
I definitely fear terminal length. I put so much effort in, but I confided in my sister my intentions of growing long and she said that terminal length for me would be just below breasts. :wail::cry:

Dark40
December 16th, 2019, 03:28 PM

You've haven't had virgin hair since...??? Why should we believe your hair is healthy? After everything you tell us you do to it? Your hair isn't special. It's isn't magically damage proof. You can do whatever you want to it, it's your hair, but you need to accept that there WILL BE DAMAGE. This is what is keeping your hair from retaining length. Just using deep conditioners doesn't erase the damage. No product will. Once it's there it'll stay til you cut it off. THAT is why you are stuck in this cycle of grow. damage. trim. grow. damage. trim. Only doing one damaging thing is fine if you're careful with everything else but that's not what you're doing. Don't pretend you have no idea why your hair isn't growing past a certain length. You're seeing the effects first hand. But you like to call it a growth stall.

You've been here since 2010 and haven't learned anything. Every time you ask questions we answer but you never really listen. You only hear what you want to hear. Your story is always changing. I agree with your mother. You need to be realistic about your length goals. Because from what you're sharing with us; you'd rather have styled hair than length*.

You do care what we say, but only if you agree with it. Everything else is just bullying, right?

end/rant
*Which is a perfectly okay preference. But don't expect both and then say we're wrong.

I'm gonna state something to right here as well, Ohhhhh, yes I do know what healthy hair feels/ look like.

So, don't you dare even go there. I have virgin hair now is what I keep trying to tell you. You are not listening to me, and I am listening to every word you all are saying but I have a right to disagree with it just like you have a right to disagree with my opinions. You don't know me. You have no right whatsoever making that statement. I know exactly what Healthy hair feels/looks like.

And, I don't heat style my hair. You all are over-exaggerating again of what I do to my hair. Blow-drying for only 5 minutes 2 or 3 times out of the week, relaxing twice a year, and dyeing twice a year is not damaging. It can cause damage if you don't know what you're doing but like I've said in another post in here....."If my hair was damaged I would be able to see it," and "Plus, I would be going through the symptoms of damaged hairs." My hair is not falling out, and BTW, yeah I've been here a long time since 2010, and my hair has not been waist length since 2010. When I joined in 2010 to make a correction I started out with a chin length bob. My hair was a chin length bob not waist length. My hair has been waist length since 2017 not 2010. So, get your facts straight now.

I've been to cosmetology school in order to feel/look at healthy hair. I always knew exactly what healthy hair looks/feels like. I am not pretending like I don't know why my hair isn't growing past a certain. Look, I know that my hair can grow a lot longer than waist. It's just gonna take a lot longer than I thought, and just for your information my mother told me today that the longest my hair can grow is hip length. So, if that's true that's fine for me. But, I believe it can grow a few more inches than that. Even if I both relax and color my hair, and that is not that often.

Well, you believe what you want to believe but I know for a fact that my hair is healthy. Because, if it wasn't it would be shedding a lot, and plus I would be going through tons of hair loss, and since I've been here I have learned a lot on how to take good care of my hair and grow it longer within the 9 years I've been here. I've learned to co-wash more often, and deep condition more often, and keep it well-moisturized.

littlestarface
December 16th, 2019, 03:43 PM
I'm gonna state something to right here as well, Ohhhhh, yes I do know what healthy hair feels/ look like.

So, don't you dare even go there. I have virgin hair now is what I keep trying to tell you. You are not listening to me, and I am listening to every word you all are saying but I have a right to disagree with it just like you have a right to disagree with my opinions. You don't know me. You have no right whatsoever making that statement. I know exactly what Healthy hair feels/looks like.

And, I don't heat style my hair. You all are over-exaggerating again of what I do to my hair. Blow-drying for only 5 minutes 2 or 3 times out of the week, relaxing twice a year, and dyeing twice a year is not damaging. It can cause damage if you don't know what you're doing but like I've said in another post in here....."If my hair was damaged I would be able to see it," and "Plus, I would be going through the symptoms of damaged hairs." My hair is not falling out, and BTW, yeah I've been here a long time since 2010, and my hair has not been waist length since 2010. When I joined in 2010 to make a correction I started out with a chin length bob. My hair was a chin length bob not waist length. My hair has been waist length since 2017 not 2010. So, get your facts straight now.

I've been to cosmetology school in order to feel/look at healthy hair. I always knew exactly what healthy hair looks/feels like. I am not pretending like I don't know why my hair isn't growing past a certain. Look, I know that my hair can grow a lot longer than waist. It's just gonna take a lot longer than I thought, and just for your information my mother told me today that the longest my hair can grow is hip length. So, if that's true that's fine for me. But, I believe it can grow a few more inches than that. Even if I both relax and color my hair, and that is not that often.

Well, you believe what you want to believe but I know for a fact that my hair is healthy. Because, if it wasn't it would be shedding a lot, and plus I would be going through tons of hair loss, and since I've been here I have learned a lot on how to take good care of my hair and grow it longer within the 9 years I've been here. I've learned to co-wash more often, and deep condition more often, and keep it well-moisturized.
Unhealthy hair doesn't mean shedding a lot lol wth. One can have super healthy hair and still shed.

How does one have virgin hair when they relax? That's not virgin at all.

The-Young-Maid
December 16th, 2019, 03:52 PM

And there you have it folks. This is delusion at it finest.
1. You lie about everything, so YOU keep your "facts" straight sweetie (we all know how quickly your facts change which leads to much confusion down threads like this)
2. You STILL don't understand what cumulative damage is (as highlighted in your blithering response)
3. I have the right to call you out just like anybody else on the internet. If you don't like it then stop posting your bs.

neko_kawaii
December 16th, 2019, 03:57 PM
Closing thread. Go find something else to do.