PDA

View Full Version : Celtic bun confusion

heatherovka
August 5th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Can anyone please help explain this to me? I have watched many youtube videos and I am still confused. Where exactly do you insert the hair stick, and where does it come out?

I get the first loop on the left, then pull some length through to form the second loop. Where does this second loop end up? On the right by itself? I don't understand if it is like a pretzel (or not?) - with the hairstick through the right loop, under the knot and through the center of the left loop?

I can't figure out if my hair is just not long enough yet, or if my length is just so much thinner than the roots, but it doesn't look right. My results never look like the examples I see. I think I'm doing something wrong. Help? :confused:

heatherovka
August 5th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Nobody?

:wail:

Laurenji
August 5th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Sorry...I don't have enough length compared to my thickness to do the Celtic Knot yet. So I'd help you at if I could, but I'm just as much in the dark about it as you are...

xoerincolleen
August 5th, 2011, 04:49 PM
I think the hairstick goes through the 2nd loop (on the right), under the rest of the bun, and then through the first loop that was made. Your hair might not be long enough. Mine is just long enough to make this bun, and really needs another good inch to get a nice-looking one. You could try making it as a half-up until you perfect it, then trying a full bun!

torrilin
August 5th, 2011, 04:49 PM
I hold mine up with spin pins, and I have no idea how to do it with a hairstick.

heatherovka
August 5th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Thanks Laurenji!

Thank you xoerincolleen, I do think my hair is too short. I keep trying to force it to work, and I end up with a tight knot without many ends to tuck, so that would probably explain why it doesn't look right. I'll try the half-up and see if I can get something nicer.

torrilin, where do you put the spin pins?

GoldberryHair
August 5th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Try YouTubing lol

Anje
August 5th, 2011, 08:53 PM
OK, a celtic knot is a slip knot, pure and simple. If you want to get more specific, it's an overhand knot with a draw loop. That draw loop is the one that's most immediately connected to the hair left hanging loose, and if you tug that hair, the loop shrinks, pulls out, and the whole bun collapses.

You want to stick your stick through that draw loop, then under the main bun and up through the far side.

Celtic knots tend to look different depending on who's doing them, even if they form it with the same hand. That's because the draw loop can be positioned in different places. I like sticking it at about 1'o'clock from the perspective of someone looking at the back of my head, because that makes a nice 3-lobed knot appearance. Pulling it over the top to 8'o'clock or so is also nice and holds securely, but it has an entirely different look and more closely resembles an infinity bun. (ETA: And just to complicate things, if I have the loop over by 8'o'clock, sometimes I'll put my stick in from right to left, so the tip emerges from it rather then the top of the stick. I suspect you may find that variation in some of the videos you see.)

heatherovka
August 5th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Thanks, Anje, that helps so much! You really explained it clearly and in a way that makes sense to me. Now I know what I am supposed to do. :cheese:

And yes, when watching the videos, it did seem that some people did slightly different things, complicating matters for me.

I think I have the right idea, but not enough length yet to make it look good. I'll have to try half-up until then. Many thanks for the awesome explanation! :flower:

torrilin
August 6th, 2011, 07:54 AM
If we work from Anje's description...

Pin #1 gets screwed into the draw loop. You know the scoop and flip motion you can use with a hairstick? Those work with spin pins too. Screw it into the draw loop pointing slightly outwards but mostly towards your scalp, then flip and screw into the bun catching scalp hair.

Pin #2 gets a similar treatment at the base of the knot.

You can anchor a Nautilus, Artemis, and a lot of the other wrapped buns by using similar methods. The big "but" here is that the spin pin needs to be fairly long in proportion to your thickness. My ponytail ranges from 2.5-3", so call it 6.5-7.5cm. The regular Goody spin pins are about 2"/5cm, and they work for me. The short versions don't. I'd even be interested in slightly longer spin pins. The regular ones are right on the border of too short for a lot of styles.

HairStickler
August 7th, 2011, 12:37 AM
OK, a celtic knot is a slip knot, pure and simple. If you want to get more specific, it's an overhand knot with a draw loop. That draw loop is the one that's most immediately connected to the hair left hanging loose, and if you tug that hair, the loop shrinks, pulls out, and the whole bun collapses.

You want to stick your stick through that draw loop, then under the main bun and up through the far side.

Celtic knots tend to look different depending on who's doing them, even if they form it with the same hand. That's because the draw loop can be positioned in different places. I like sticking it at about 1'o'clock from the perspective of someone looking at the back of my head, because that makes a nice 3-lobed knot appearance. Pulling it over the top to 8'o'clock or so is also nice and holds securely, but it has an entirely different look and more closely resembles an infinity bun. (ETA: And just to complicate things, if I have the loop over by 8'o'clock, sometimes I'll put my stick in from right to left, so the tip emerges from it rather then the top of the stick. I suspect you may find that variation in some of the videos you see.)

Anje, that is such a good way of describing it! I wonder how many of our updos can be described using knot terminology. It sure would make things easier.

I'd even be interested in slightly longer spin pins. The regular ones are right on the border of too short for a lot of styles.

torrilin, I would also be interested in longer spin pins.