PDA

View Full Version : Using Manic Panic for peekaboo streaks in my underlayer- sectioning and other ?s

Nessarose
August 5th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Hi all,

This is my first thread post! YAY!:cheese:

Anyways... I am thinking of using manic panic in vampire red to do peekaboo streaks in my underlayer of hair. First I would wash my hair with shampoo, I am a CO washer. I read that this is the best way to get good color deposit. Then putting half of my hair up (ears and above) and taking sections from the rest of my hair and using foils to put the manic panic in. I'm wondering:
1) if what described above is the best way to do this, or if there's any other advice you all have
2) how/where should I pull the 'streaks' from in my underlayer? I'm thinking I don't want big chunks. I can't find a good video of people highlighting their underlayer.
3) Instead of leaving my other hair just dry while I am waiting for processing I was thinking of doing an SMT...good idea/bad?

ETA: 4) How long should I leave the MP in?
ETA2) Sorry for this: how can I get the color to last for a while? I do CO so that should help, right?
TIA!!
:flower:

Crysta
August 5th, 2011, 09:52 AM
1: your method seems fine to me - there's many different ways to highlight the hair and what works best for one person isn't going to work at all for another.
2: use a rat tail or 'pinch' bits out, if you don't want large streaks/big chunks/close together, make sure you grab what you want streaked and do the next streak at least two centimeters away from the last. if you want to do two 'layers' or more of the streaks do them in a brickwork pattern - the ones above are half way inbetween the streaks underneath them.
3: I really don't know - hope someone else answers.
4: how long to leave it in depends on your hair colour and the result you want - most people go for 15-20 min, I used to leave mine on for an hour [mixed with small amounts of cone free conditioner and inside a plastic bag]
Do a strand test - this is the best way to find out.

spidermom
August 5th, 2011, 09:56 AM
About the SMT - sounds like a bad idea. It could interfere with the dye uptake.
I left my MP in for 45 minutes, and the color was faint, then washed out completely with two diluted shampooings.

Quixii
August 5th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I've never tried to dye my underlayer, so I can't help with that. But the times I have done Manic Panic, I've left it on for varying amounts. As little as the 15 it recommends and as much as... I think it was an hour and a half? I was very worried I would see adverse effects from leaving it in so long, but my hair seemed fine. I can't say that it was much brighter than leaving it in for 45 minutes, but it could have helped. Also, I did purple. I've heard that red is harder to get to stay in. So I'd say at least 45 minutes.
Also, I wouldn't recommend the SMT. Any time I've done an SMT, it's dripped. And you don't want an SMT dripping where you have the dye, because that'll mess with the dye soaking in.
Good luck. :flower:

Nessarose
August 5th, 2011, 10:51 AM
...4: how long to leave it in depends on your hair colour and the result you want - most people go for 15-20 min, I used to leave mine on for an hour [mixed with small amounts of cone free conditioner and inside a plastic bag]...

I was thinking of mixing it with a bit of condish too. Thanks for the tip on this. Did you still acheive a deep red with the condish mixed in?

About the SMT - sounds like a bad idea. It could interfere with the dye uptake.

Yea, I guess it is drippy. I though the foils would protect the color from the SMT. Any other kind of treatments you could rec?

Thanks for the tips so far, ladies!

battles
August 5th, 2011, 10:58 AM
If you want the color to last for awhile, try a different brand. Special Effects is far better than Manic Panic, imho. I have Manic Panic in my hair right now and it's been fading pretty quick, even stretching washes. :shrug:

Nessarose
August 5th, 2011, 11:03 AM
If you want the color to last for awhile, try a different brand. Special Effects is far better than Manic Panic, imho. I have Manic Panic in my hair right now and it's been fading pretty quick, even stretching washes. :shrug:

I have read about SE being a lot longer lasting than MP, but I'm heading to Sally's today and this has been floating around in my head for some time and I have time to do this tonight. Maybe the next time around I will get SE when I have time to wait for it to be shipped. I'm the kinda person that gets an idea about my hair and I need to do it immediately. Y'know what I mean?
Are you a CO-er?
Thanks for the info!

alliekat
August 5th, 2011, 11:14 AM
ETA2) Sorry for this: how can I get the color to last for a while? I do CO so that should help, right?
TIA!!

I'm not sure about MP, but I did "Purple Plum" in my hair about 3 weeks ago with N Rage from Sally and I left it in for 2 hours (I was watching America's Got Talent and didn't want to miss anything :D) and it's been a dark almost blue/violet even now. Very little fade.

As far as how long it lasts... I've tried "Beyond the Zone" from Sally in Plum (looks kind of fuchia/pink to me!) and it hardly lasted a week. It was only "semi-permanent". The N Rage is "demi-permanent" and as I said, it's still a really dark blue/violet three weeks later. I have been doing CO only as well, so that may be helping, like you said. I'm actually ready for it to fade out a bit to a more purpley-purple. :p

Sorry, I haven't actually tried Manic Panic! I'm not sure if it's semi- or demi- permanent, but according to http://www.ehow.com/facts_5728400_demi-semi-permanent-hair-color.html demi-permanent dye lasts longer.

BabyRay33
August 5th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I have had this done at the salon and done it myself a couple times...so I guess I'm a bit of an expert. Vampire red is my color as well, LOL.

I just pinched the sections to be highlighted, i did tiny ones cause i think they look better, but I didn't try to be too precise with it.

I would not do an smt, unless you can make a really thick one and keep it away from your sections...but it might be too much going on at once, inho.

My hair is fairly porous so it lasts a few weeks for me, but I didnt really wash it except for WO. And...stay out of the pool if you go to one, the color comes right out if you get in one!

Good LUCK!

Nessarose
August 5th, 2011, 11:39 AM
I'm not sure about MP, but I did "Purple Plum" in my hair about 3 weeks ago with N Rage from Sally and I left it in for 2 hours (I was watching America's Got Talent and didn't want to miss anything :D) and it's been a dark almost blue/violet even now. Very little fade.

As far as how long it lasts... I've tried "Beyond the Zone" from Sally in Plum (looks kind of fuchia/pink to me!) and it hardly lasted a week. It was only "semi-permanent". The N Rage is "demi-permanent" and as I said, it's still a really dark blue/violet three weeks later. I have been doing CO only as well, so that may be helping, like you said. I'm actually ready for it to fade out a bit to a more purpley-purple. :p

Sorry, I haven't actually tried Manic Panic! I'm not sure if it's semi- or demi- permanent, but according to http://www.ehow.com/facts_5728400_demi-semi-permanent-hair-color.html demi-permanent dye lasts longer.

I didn't think Sally's had any more bright colors than MP. I do want to stick to semi since it isn't as harsh as demi. Thanks for the info, though!

I have had this done at the salon and done it myself a couple times...so I guess I'm a bit of an expert. Vampire red is my color as well, LOL.

I just pinched the sections to be highlighted, i did tiny ones cause i think they look better, but I didn't try to be too precise with it.

I would not do an smt, unless you can make a really thick one and keep it away from your sections...but it might be too much going on at once, inho.

My hair is fairly porous so it lasts a few weeks for me, but I didnt really wash it except for WO. And...stay out of the pool if you go to one, the color comes right out if you get in one!

Good LUCK!

Oooo, you are the expert with what I want to do!
How long did you leave it on for?

battles
August 5th, 2011, 12:09 PM
I have read about SE being a lot longer lasting than MP, but I'm heading to Sally's today and this has been floating around in my head for some time and I have time to do this tonight. Maybe the next time around I will get SE when I have time to wait for it to be shipped. I'm the kinda person that gets an idea about my hair and I need to do it immediately. Y'know what I mean?
Are you a CO-er?
Thanks for the info!

I know exactly what you mean. :D That's why I bought the Manic Panic.

I don't CO, I tried it but my hair didn't like it very much. I normally use sulfate free shampoos. When I was using special effects dye, I was using sulfate shampoos and washing daily, sometimes multiple times a day. :scared: But the dye still lasted way longer.

SoulOfTheSea
August 5th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Hi all,

This is my first thread post! YAY!:cheese:

Anyways... I am thinking of using manic panic in vampire red to do peekaboo streaks in my underlayer of hair. First I would wash my hair with shampoo, I am a CO washer. I read that this is the best way to get good color deposit. Then putting half of my hair up (ears and above) and taking sections from the rest of my hair and using foils to put the manic panic in. I'm wondering:
1) if what described above is the best way to do this, or if there's any other advice you all have
2) how/where should I pull the 'streaks' from in my underlayer? I'm thinking I don't want big chunks. I can't find a good video of people highlighting their underlayer.
3) Instead of leaving my other hair just dry while I am waiting for processing I was thinking of doing an SMT...good idea/bad?

TIA!!

Well for one, I have done a MP streak before and it lasted me months, and I use regular shampoo. I would never CO before putting in a colored streak. For that one streak, use a cheap shampoo like Suave and wash it. Then let it dry. Then I deposit the color on with a tinting brush (make sure you load it on there pretty good). Then I just left it (I didn't even cover it with foil or anything, I just put my hair in a ponytail with that one streak left out). I let it sit for like 4-5 hours. Let it sit in for as long as you can, overnight is best.

I rinsed it out with tepid water, then when the water is starting to turn clear, I rinse it with ice cold water. Then let it air-dry, and VOILA. Literally, mine lasted months O_O, it was wonderful! I used Purple Haze :)

Oh and I do not think SMT is a good idea, I would wait until your next wash or so to do it.

ETA: I forgot to say that after I put the color in my hair, I took a comb and combed the color through the streak to distribute the color. I combed until it got foamy, and the combing does make a difference. It even says to do so on the MP jar. :)

theodora
August 5th, 2011, 03:37 PM
I'm currently considering doing some ombre tips in manic panic (probably one of the pinks and a purple) and have been researching extensively.
I've read in multiple places that vinegar can help seal it in. So do a vinegar rinse after dying and also every time you wash. Also, I've read you should wash with strictly cold water (because hot water would open the cuticle and let the dye out).
Another thing, about your idea of doing an SMT. I was thinking that if you foiled your red streaks it shouldn't be a problem. I'd foil them anyways.
And you shouldn't be afraid of leaving it long, after all it is peroxide/ammonia free, and should not damage your hair (on the contrary people have reported it feels quite gentle and non-drying).

Hope this helps, and I can't wait to see your results!

Crysta
August 5th, 2011, 04:55 PM
When i've used conditioner with temp colours - sometimes I think the colour comes out more intense than it does on the box.
if you have a look at my album here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4476) that has some photos of when I used to use colour and you can tell how intense they are.

I actually found that it takes longer to fade when I've used conditioner aswell. some people use the conditioner to make the colour less intense - so I guess it depends on the dye:conditioner ratio. I only every used a pea sized blob per tub of dye.

SoulOfTheSea
August 5th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I'm currently considering doing some ombre tips in manic panic (probably one of the pinks and a purple) and have been researching extensively.
I've read in multiple places that vinegar can help seal it in. So do a vinegar rinse after dying and also every time you wash. Also, I've read you should wash with strictly cold water (because hot water would open the cuticle and let the dye out).
Another thing, about your idea of doing an SMT. I was thinking that if you foiled your red streaks it shouldn't be a problem. I'd foil them anyways.
And you shouldn't be afraid of leaving it long, after all it is peroxide/ammonia free, and should not damage your hair (on the contrary people have reported it feels quite gentle and non-drying).

Hope this helps, and I can't wait to see your results!

Personally, I did not like the results of the vinegar rinse. And my sister has a bright red streak in her hair (she bleached it first) and the vinegar doesn't help much. But that's just our hair. It has worked for many people and it could work for you. :)

And yes, when I put in my purple streak, I did not bleach it beforehand, I just used my natural light brown hair color. The results were a nice plum color! :) It didn't damage my hair at all, the only thing that might have damaged it was combing it after putting the dye in.

bookworm_10
August 6th, 2011, 09:50 PM
You can leave it on overnight for best results. Its a stain not a dye

Nessarose
August 8th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Thanks, ladies! I chickened out this weekend from getting MP in Vampire Red and instead bought SE off ebay in Burgundy Wine. I should be getting it today or tomorrow, but I think I'm going to wait until this weekend to actually use it.
SoulOfTheSea- love your process I think I might do that and I think I might add that pea-size amount of condish that Crysta suggested. Love your color, girl!
I will post my success/failure here when it's done. Thanks again, all! You are all so helpful!

Khiwanean
August 8th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Generally with direct dyes like SE or MP, it's safe to leave them on a lot longer than the directions say. On the Manic Panic website a lot of the people that have sent their pictures in to be displayed have left the dye on for many hours or even overnight. The color turns out more vivid and lasts longer that way.

theodora
August 8th, 2011, 04:12 PM
This is so exciting, I cannot wait to see your results Nessarose!
It's really helpful hearing everyone's advice on using these type of dyes as I don't know anyone around me who has used them and I only have a limited experience with stargazer (from ages ago).

Nessarose
August 14th, 2011, 03:28 PM
I finally got around to doing it and here's how it turned out.

I first did the under layer streaks and they were blended in so much, I added a bit to my bang area and towards the front of my hair.

It was so hard to section the back! That took the longest to figure out. Once I did that, I mixed a small amount of the SE Burgundy Wine with a pea-sized amount of Suave Coconut Condish. I spread it on with the gloves and did not end up foiling them, it was just too hard. I started this around 9PM and was done by 10 and I slept with it in my hair then washed it out the next day with the Suave condish. I did foil the bang area since it was right in my face. I left that in for about 2 hours then took it out b/c I didn't want it too bright. It ended up not drying when it was in the foil. I do like how it turned out so lets get to the pics.
Before:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8482&pictureid=110365
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8482&pictureid=110364

After:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8482&pictureid=110360
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8482&pictureid=110361
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8482&pictureid=110362
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8482&pictureid=110363
I am happy with how it turned out :)
Thanks for all your help, ladies!