PDA

View Full Version : Old hair dye and protein treatments (long)

Guenhwyvar
August 5th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Dear Fairy LHC,

My hair is creeping closer to my first goal (tailbone). For years I chemically dyed my hair black (blow dried and straightened) but it didnt seem damaged. I am starting to notice the damage to the coloured part much more now.

I am wondering if a protein treatment would make a big difference as the ends now seem dry and split. Would a home made protein treatment help - or a shop-brought one?

Ever since the last black dye I have had no fading of the black. Is there a way to lighten the black - no bleach/colorfix?

I love the length I am just so depressed with the condition - I would have to cut loads off to remove the damage. Any good tips to help the damage - I have tried oil but it gives it a greasy wet look, even with minimal amounts and my bf cant stand the coconut smell of coconut oil. Also tried SMT's but they also have a strange effect and only last a few days.

Please Help

Guenhwyvar
August 5th, 2011, 11:42 AM
bump :)

spidermom
August 5th, 2011, 11:48 AM
There a deep treatment that you can buy that provides both protein and moisture - Joico KPak Reconstructor. My hair loves the stuff, but it's not color treated. I have my stylist treat my hair about 1-2 times per year with this.

Siiri
August 5th, 2011, 12:23 PM
For natural treatments you could try for example mayonnaise, eggs, yogurt (either milk or soy). Some people say they work very well for them, some don't like them. I guess there's no harm in trying, if you like to use natural treatments. There is also this confusing thread about home-made protein treatments vs commercial treatments, if you are interested: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=74986

With a protein treatment, I would do a moisturizing treatment like a SMT for balance. Are you doing any deep treatments regularly, and are you using oils or a leave-in conditioner to keep your ends from drying out? If you don't want to cut your hair, you could just cut the individual hairs with splits or do microtrims?

ETA: If plain oils don't work, you could try your regular conditioner as a leave-in, it would probably be lighter?

Guenhwyvar
August 5th, 2011, 12:26 PM
There a deep treatment that you can buy that provides both protein and moisture - Joico KPak Reconstructor. My hair loves the stuff, but it's not color treated. I have my stylist treat my hair about 1-2 times per year with this.

Ordered some - sounds great :)

spidermom
August 5th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Oh, it is. It makes my hair shine like glass.