PDA

View Full Version : Perception of hair length

hibiscus
August 5th, 2011, 07:35 AM
--------------------

CarpeDM
August 5th, 2011, 07:56 AM
It is strange how your hair length perception can change over time. When I had a chin length bob I used to think shoulder and APL was long. Now that I am a little past APL I look at my hair and think it is soooo short and will never get long...

MonaLisa
August 5th, 2011, 08:03 AM
I've always had BSL-waist- near hip length hair, and now it's hip or a bit longer, so perception of APL and such lengths hasn't changed for me. I consider pixies and bobs short and love them, shoulder-APL-BSL even medium, and BSL/Waist and beyond long!
Whats did change is..that here i've discovered super long hair. I thought it's much more rare to see classic, and not to mention classic +...
I call those super long and I'm not sure I wanna/can go there but admiring some of them has made my world a prettier place :)

Ligeia_13
August 5th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Mine hasn't really changed. I've never thought of apl as long. It always seemed short to me. Waist is where long hair has always begun for me :)

Herb
August 5th, 2011, 08:08 AM
My perception didn't change much when I came here, since I've had long hair for quite a while. Waist is what I've considered long. I considered APL quite short.

I even remember back when I was still in elementary school (I think I had layered APL hair then), I was looking through a style book at a salon, and I thought their ideas of long, medium and short were just ludicrous! Their long looked very short to me!

Anje
August 5th, 2011, 08:40 AM
This site does that.

Though I remember looking through stylists' books of long hair styles as a kid and being disappointed that they were all short. To me, BSL was long.

knittingyogini
August 5th, 2011, 09:46 AM
I've always considered anything past shoulder length to be long. And, I would still call it that after hanging around here for a couple months.

However, my perception of MY hair length has definitely changed. I found this site looking for tips on how to care for my hair (and grow it out a bit more) to maybe waist-ish. Now when people comment on how long my BSL hair is I'm surprised. I'm its long by my own definition, but doesn't really seem comment-worthy after seeing all the beautiful photos here with waist and beyond.

Rosetta
August 5th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Do you think general society considers apl to be long or medium?
Well, according to hairdressers/stylists, anything past shoulder is "long"... Of course, that's mainly a clever tactic for them to be able to charge more for handling such "long" hair :)

As for my personal perception, well, I think I've always considered hair starting from mid-back or somewhere around that "long", and still do. Tailbone and beyond is "super-long" :)

Crysta
August 5th, 2011, 09:56 AM
According to packets of hairdye APL - or longer than shoulder length is long. chin length-shoulder seems to be medium.
and APL is like super short for me :( BSL is also short, so i'm all sad.
Pixie and the likes looks bald to me, and bald looks stylish and daring.

before TLHC I thought classic length was long, but I always had waist length hair, now I consider it around medium. thigh - knee - calf and ankle length are 'long' to me, anything longer is EXTRA LONG WELL DONE FOR YOUR GENES :cheese:

Yame
August 5th, 2011, 10:14 AM
I never considered APL to be long. I did consider BSL long, though, when I was younger and always had a bob. I grew my hair to BSL when I was 11, it was the longest I ever had it at the time and in the longer range among classmates. I cut it into almost a pixie cut soon thereafter to be more fashionable.

I started growing it for good at 17, but stopped at waist/hip. My mom always complained it was "too long" and I didn't agree but thought it was long enough.

Now that I joined LHC I feel like it's too short! I am planning on growing it to TB or classic, which should then put it undoubtedly in the "looooong" category. I'd love to aim for even longer, but at that point it would interfere with my dancing and I can't have that.

longcurlygirl<3
August 5th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Mine hasn't really changed. I've never thought of apl as long. It always seemed short to me. Waist is where long hair has always begun for me :) same :) Since I always had apl and bellow hair I always knew what was short hair

Hile
August 5th, 2011, 10:26 AM
My perception of hair length hasn't changed. I have always considered waist length and longer long hair. Apl and bsl would have been medium and shoulder and shorter short hair. I would sometimes get annoyed by people calling apl hair really long, but I think I've outgrown it now;) And I've always had short hair (chin - shoulder) before.

Quixii
August 5th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Before I came here, I thought waist length started to count as long. Now I'm realizing I see hip length+ as starting to be long. I'm not sure whether this site changed that, or just the fact that my own hair is growing longer. :shrug:

Cassie 123
August 5th, 2011, 11:08 AM
If I had to describe a woman's hair to the police or something, everything between flip-length and APL would register in my brain as medium, with short and long starting beyond those points. I don't think I've been here long enough for my perceptions to have changed much.

I would describe a man's hair as long anywhere past chin-length, I guess.

Cupofmilk
August 5th, 2011, 11:12 AM
I now see under waist as short long hair, waist to classic is medium long hair and classic + islong long hair. That is quite abnormal in terms of the general population who i would have thought would see APL+ as long.

AspenSong
August 5th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Mine hasn't really changed. I always held in my mind that tailbone to classic, was "Long".
To me anything at collarbone or above is short, and from there to about waist is Medium, waist to tailbone is Longish. lol

elbow chic
August 5th, 2011, 06:18 PM
I always considered BSL "long" and still do. Context is everything. Except for a couple of religious sects, (Pentecostals and Mennonites, mainly) BSL is about the longest you'll generally see around here.

To me, shorter than chin is short, chin to APL is medium, BSL-hip is long, and anything beyond that is REALLY long.

Dragon
August 6th, 2011, 02:35 AM
I still remember when I had APL length hair for the first time in my life before I had it cut off and I thought that was long. Now I call WL long on women and SL long on guys.

Avital88
August 6th, 2011, 03:24 AM
oh yes this is true, although it also depends on where you are in the world.
In europe hair is considered long way quicker than for example the middle east.
So in europe i have long hair ,and here my hair is regular.
LHC twisted my mind in the way that i think everything before hip is not long. its not short but definitely not long either:)

taimatsuko
August 6th, 2011, 03:28 AM
Because of bad treatment the longest my hair would ever grow was to chin length so APL was like a miracle to me. As for Classic and Beyond... I really thought that could only exist in fairytales. Now APL seems like nothing to me. It's funny how exposure or lack thereof changes your perception.

PorkChop
August 6th, 2011, 04:32 AM
I think i always perceived BSL+ as long, and I still do

jojo
August 6th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Mine hasn't really changed. I've never thought of apl as long. It always seemed short to me. Waist is where long hair has always begun for me :)

Same here, though my perception of where long hair starts has changed, I now see hip length as the start of long. My hair is stuck between waist and hip and I seriously think it looks short compared to people with the same length!

boomtownrat
August 6th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Before I joined LHC, I thought of anything APL and beyond as long, while anything waist-length and beyond was incredibly long. That hasn't changed too much, because the longest my hair has ever been was APL and without my own tactile experience to compare it to, concepts of length beyond APL are abstract for me. To call APL or even SL short doesn't work for me because I think of short as something that you can wear all spiky and tousled. To me, hair is short until I can put it all up without pieces falling out, which is up until around SL. It's medium length from SL through BSL and after that it's all varying degrees of long (long, longer, longest!).