PDA

View Full Version : How do you secure your cinnabun?

Curlsgirl
June 26th, 2008, 08:42 PM
:cheese: I KNOW this has been beaten like a dead horse probably but I just realized that I can make a cinnabun on top of my head loosely and put medium claw clips (3 - 4) around it and it is very cute and comfy!!!! I haven't been able to wear a bun on top of my crown in AGES because it pulled and/or was so heavy! I know this sounds crazy but it really lifted my spirits. I discovered it because I am very sick this week and I was just trying to get it out of the way when even a plain braid was bugging me. I wonder if I could get some that blend in and don't show that much or some prettier ones. I have clear and they look okay.

What do you think and what kinds of things are more comfortable for you to anchor your cinnabuns? Anyone else do this? I think I can even do this with a lot more length than I have even! I will definitely wear it this way this summer, off my neck WOOT!!!

Oh one more thing, any ideas on where to get really cute jaw clips for this that have fairly strong springs?

Riot Crrl
June 26th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Maybe my hair just isn't heavy enough yet but I've been doing well with one Ficcare or two sticks. :)

OhioLisa
June 26th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I just scroo it, baby. :eyebrows:

Curlsgirl
June 26th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Ficarres have always hurt my scalp unless the moon and stars line up just right and trust me that is not very often! I think perhaps it's the weight. Sticks have never done very well either for some reason but forks I LOVE just not in a bun, not sure why. I love them for figure 8s and infinities. I am sure it's scalp sensitivity especially cuz I have so much sinus/allergy trouble. I am looking for some good cute claw clips now. I would LOVE them to sort of disappear in my hair. They are not my favorite look though they're great on others. Oh and I tried hair scroos but good grief I would never get all my hair to stay in a bun with those. Probably the operator though.

Nat242
June 26th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I use a porcupine quill (so light!) and a bobby pin to secure wayward ends.

-- Natalie

Curlsgirl
June 26th, 2008, 09:04 PM
I use a porcupine quill (so light!) and a bobby pin to secure wayward ends.

-- Natalie What in the world is that? I never heard of it! I mean the porcupine quill heehee.

Wavelength
June 26th, 2008, 09:15 PM
What in the world is that? I never heard of it! I mean the porcupine quill heehee.

It's literally a porcupine quill, used as a hairstick. I haven't used one myself as I find them a bit too long. You can generally find them on eBay.

Curlsgirl
June 26th, 2008, 09:19 PM
It's literally a porcupine quill, used as a hairstick. I haven't used one myself as I find them a bit too long. You can generally find them on eBay.

Wow! I may have to check these out! Since I make it messy sort of and spread out, I need something a bit long. Thanks!

More ideas?

AJoifulNoise
June 26th, 2008, 09:26 PM
On a good day, if I sit very still or soak my cinnabun I can hold it up with sticks. But, usually it involves sticks and pins. The pins do most of the work, the sticks sit there and look pretty.

Mostly I use little claw clips. I buy them in large packs in three colors: black, clear, and brown. I have a size up, too... But I think it looks cuter with 9 tiny clips as opposed to 4 larger ones.

I have seen some pretty, small clips in Claire's and Icing, but I don't know about their strength because I haven't bought them. It's worth a try though!

frizzinator
June 26th, 2008, 09:39 PM
http://www.franceluxe.com/c/franceluxe_mini_jaws_clips/France+Luxe+Mini.html

I use the mini oval, but all these france luxe jaws are strong, beautiful and blend in your hair.

Nat242
June 26th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Wow! I may have to check these out! Since I make it messy sort of and spread out, I need something a bit long. Thanks!

More ideas?

Just so you know, I've seen them in various sizes, but more often they're long. They're often quite sharp, too! Check out any store that sells art/products from Africa; I bought mine from my local market for about $5.

-- Natalie

Curlsgirl
June 26th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Love the ideas! I like Karina hair clips though they usually have bright gold hinges that I don't particularly care for. I guess I could paint them. I could even paint them a color close to my own. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I looked at France Luxe and dang they are just SO expensive even for one and I need at least 4 preferably 5. I may try this with the Good Days hairpins. My hair is fairly slippery though anymore even though it's curly. It tends to slip down if not anchored well.

frizzinator
June 26th, 2008, 09:45 PM
When I insert a a stick or a ficcare into a cinnamon bun as if I were making the Gibraltar bun, it holds like a rock. Insert the bottom of the ficcare (just like a stick) into the coil next to the outside coil, and exit the bun from the coil next to the outside coil on the other side.

Curlsgirl
June 26th, 2008, 09:49 PM
When I insert a a stick or a ficcare into a cinnamon bun as if I were making the Gibraltar bun, it holds like a rock. Insert the bottom of the ficcare (just like a stick) into the coil next to the outside coil, and exit the bun from the coil next to the outside coil on the other side.

It just feels heavy to me always and I have that pull on my scalp no matter what I do it seems. So you use a maxima and slide it into the bun instead of over it? Not sure I understand what a Gilbralter bun is.

frizzinator
June 26th, 2008, 10:00 PM
http://www.io.com/~cortese/hair/styling.html

Above are the instructions for the gibraltar bun. It is like a cinnamon bun, except after you tuck the end of the tail under, you insert the stick in the coil next to the outside coil, and exit on the other side of the bun from the coil next to the outside coil, being sure you catch the end of the tail.

If you use a ficcare, you insert the bottom half of your Maximas instead of a stick - but you are inserting the bottom half of the ficcare in the same way you would insert a stick. The top half of the ficcare shows on top of the bun.

Curlsgirl
June 26th, 2008, 10:05 PM

Above are the instructions for the gibraltar bun. It is like a cinnamon bun, except after you tuck the end of the tail under, you insert the stick in the coil next to the outside coil, and exit on the other side of the bun from the coil next to the outside coil, being sure you catch the end of the tail.

If you use a ficcare, you insert the bottom half of your Maximas instead of a stick - but you are inserting the bottom half of the ficcare in the same way you would insert a stick. The top half of the ficcare shows on top of the bun.

Oh thanks! I got it! I'm a little slow in the updo department it's not you! HA! I'll try this.

frizzinator
June 26th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Also, using a fork to secure the cinnamon bun works very well. Insert the fork in the outside coil, push the fork along the scalp, then exit out of the outside coil on the other side. If the inside coils want to pop out, then reinsert the fork, but when the fork is under the middle of the bun, tilt the fork up and catch some hair from the coils in the middle, then go back down to catch scalp hair before exiting on the other side of the bun (through the outside coil).

Curlsgirl
June 26th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Also, using a fork to secure the cinnamon bun works very well. Insert the fork in the outside coil, push the fork along the scalp, then exit out of the outside coil on the other side. If the inside coils want to pop out, then reinsert the fork, but when the fork is under the middle of the bun, tilt the fork up and catch some hair from the coils in the middle, then go back down to catch scalp hair before exiting on the other side of the bun (through the outside coil).

Yes sometimes I do something similar to this but it is just very hard to get it not to pull SOMEWHERE and give me a headache. I will look at your instructions more closely when I feel better. :love:

rubyredslippers
June 26th, 2008, 10:17 PM
I always use sticks, usually a pair of them because this seems to work best, but sometimes just one.

Duchess of Erat
June 26th, 2008, 11:12 PM
A pair of smallish metal hair forks with pink flowery things at the top.
I used to do the clawclips around the edge as well, 8 of the little ones, which distribute the weight of the hair nicely (comfy).

cheekytweety
June 27th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Thats helpful info thanks

frizzinator
June 27th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Yes sometimes I do something similar to this but it is just very hard to get it not to pull SOMEWHERE and give me a headache. I will look at your instructions more closely when I feel better. :love:

You might try making the cinnamon bun looser and/or using a fork with thinner prongs or a two prong fork instead of a three prong fork (or vice versa).

Alva
June 27th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I stick two Ketylos right through it or put a Ficcare on top

LeaM07
June 27th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I use Amish hair pins and pin as I go, a coil or so at a time (album pic (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=754&pictureid=8062)). It helps distribute the weight evenly and keeps it from looking quite as bee-buttish as it does if I wind it tight enough to use a stick. It's still not as flat as it would be on someone with less taper, but it's as close as I can get. :)

Gladtobemom
June 27th, 2008, 12:18 PM
If I make a Cinnamon Bun on the Back of my head, I can usually secure it with a hair fork, a couple of sticks, 3 hair scroos, or the one I'm wearing most often these days,
my baeris whale tail, I love that it's ebony.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/Gladtobemom/Hair%20Toys/WhaleTail.jpg

When I do a cinnamon bun on TOP of my head or at the crown, I am to make it wider and not so pouffy. I also usually anchor each turn with 2 or 3 Hair scroos or Amish pins. I used to use the good days hair pins, but they wear out and I've just run out of them--Hair scroos last absolutely forever. I need to distribute the attachments around becuase otherwise it pulls a bit. I also find that if I'm doing it on top, I need to start with a silk ribbon tied ponytail . . . or it doesn't stay as well.

KarenLynn
June 27th, 2008, 01:27 PM
All of these work for me - hair fork, sticks, Amish pins, stick barrette, scroos, comb, claw clips, and a Ficcare - although most of the time I use the Ficcare.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/KarenLynn/Updos/cinnamonbuns1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/KarenLynn/Updos/cinnamonbuns2.jpg

lora410
June 27th, 2008, 01:32 PM
my cinnamins are flat and spread out to, but a hairstick will usually hold it. What about using a starlite or a bent knitting needle to hold it?

danacc
June 27th, 2008, 05:56 PM
When I need a sleek and professional cinnamon bun, I use Amish pins. Like LeaM07, I pin as I go. In other words, after I make the first coil, I pin it in place with a few pins, then I make the next coil around that, and pin it in a couple of places, then continue coiling and pinning until i get to the end. I'm too lazy to do all of this work if a slightly quirky (aka messy) one will do, though. I can secure less than perfect cinnamon buns with 2 sticks or 1 2-prong fork. In these cases, I do what frizzinator said and "weave" the first stick or fork in and out of the bun and scalp hair. With 2 sticks, I use the second stick to anchor whatever feels a little unstable once the first stick is in.

Rae~
June 27th, 2008, 06:04 PM
http://www.franceluxe.com/c/franceluxe_mini_jaws_clips/France+Luxe+Mini.html

I use the mini oval, but all these france luxe jaws are strong, beautiful and blend in your hair.

Are those France Luxe Mini Oval Jaws seriously US$16 EACH?!? Holy crap.

wendy645
June 28th, 2008, 04:53 PM

Oooh thank you for that link! I printed it out :-)