PDA

View Full Version : Will this work as a deep moisture treatment?

monsterna
August 4th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Tomorrow I want to try an SMT, but tonight I don't have the time. So I wanted to do something before I shower. I was thinking of just warming up some olive oil and honey and putting it on damp hair and then rinsing it about an hour later. Would that be a good combo? I am new to hair recipes. :)

Joribear
August 4th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Tomorrow I want to try an SMT, but tonight I don't have the time. So I wanted to do something before I shower. I was thinking of just warming up some olive oil and honey and putting it on damp hair and then rinsing it about an hour later. Would that be a good combo? I am new to hair recipes. :)

That is a great deep moisture treatment! I try to do a honey & EVOO "mask" every other week.

BlazingHeart
August 4th, 2011, 06:40 PM
If where you live is arid (dry), it would probably be better to skip the honey. Honey is a humectant, so it transfers moisture from more moist places to less moist ones. That's why it works well in humid areas - it pulls moisture out of the air and into your hair. If the air is dry, it works the other way around and will dry out your hair. I don't know what percentage of humidity is needed to be good for you, though.

~Blaze

silverjen
August 4th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Keep in mind that EVOO won't rinse out with just water. You'll have to shampoo it out. But if you wanted to leave it in overnight, that works well for a lot of people. Just spread a towel over your pillow and sleep normally.

Joribear
August 4th, 2011, 06:47 PM
If where you live is arid (dry), it would probably be better to skip the honey. Honey is a humectant, so it transfers moisture from more moist places to less moist ones. That's why it works well in humid areas - it pulls moisture out of the air and into your hair. If the air is dry, it works the other way around and will dry out your hair. I don't know what percentage of humidity is needed to be good for you, though.

~Blaze

I always forget about that! It is so humid where I live, I completely forget about the drier parts of the world!

Keep in mind that EVOO won't rinse out with just water. You'll have to shampoo it out. But if you wanted to leave it in overnight, that works well for a lot of people. Just spread a towline over your pillow and sleep normally.
I don't use shampoo and have never had any problems getting EVOO (or any other oil I put in my hair) to wash out with my conditioner. It was so wonderfully for removing oils! :)

monsterna
August 4th, 2011, 06:47 PM
I just made a little and put it in. Going to shower in about 30 minutes. And I'm in Houston, where it is super humid and horrible. :) Thanks guys. I hope it works okay.

sanfen
August 4th, 2011, 09:30 PM
I have found that drenching my hair in conditioner (over the EVOO) before my shower and washing scalp only with diluted shampoo and then rinsing it thru the length works really well.

I use a plastic color applicator bottle to dilute my shampoo and then apply it directly to my scalp