PDA

View Full Version : How old were you when your mother stopped brushing your hair?

ReadHeadGirl
August 4th, 2011, 07:55 AM
I am almost 17 and my mother still brushes my hair,in the morning and before going to bed.

Avital88
August 4th, 2011, 07:57 AM
haha thats cute. my mum stopped when i was 8, i still remember her telling me that i had to do my own hair because i was always crying when she ripped a brush through my hair in the morningrush.

PorkChop
August 4th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Hm 8-10 i think

Toadstool
August 4th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Do you find it cute? I would find it invasive.

Sookie
August 4th, 2011, 08:12 AM
OMG sry but i don't find it cute either..i am 17 too. My mother never brushed my hair. i didn't let her do it since i was very little...although until i was 4 i had my hair unbrushed :p Too lazy to do it..my mind always on games..you know.

noelgirl
August 4th, 2011, 08:27 AM
I was 9 - my mom was in an accident and while she was in the hospital I taught myself pretty quickly.

torrilin
August 4th, 2011, 08:30 AM
I would have said "me do!" about it by age 4. I can and have asked for help on special occasions a lot of times since then, but for the most part my hair was mine as soon as I was able to say I wanted to be in charge. Most of the limits I had came from y'know... reality. A 10 year old who can't knit and can barely write legibly just isn't going to have the fine motor control for complex hairstyles, dyeing her own hair, or using a curling iron. But brushes and combs I could manage, no problem.

If mom were better with styling hair, I probably would have done better. She can't braid very well or do most updos, and even stuff like pincurl sets (which she did a lot of as a teen) are hard for her.

But she encouraged me to care, and encouraged me to wear my hair in ways that made me happy. More importantly, when I got cuts and had cutting remorse after, she reminded me that the only way to get back to the style I liked was to... not cut!

Nae
August 4th, 2011, 08:34 AM
I guess it depends if it is a daughter mother bonding time or if she just wants to make sure you "do it right." One I think is sweet the other could be considered invasive.

I always quite liked it when my mom would mess around with my hair, braiding or whatnot. I don't really remember how old I was when she stopped.

I admit, I still take over on the hair brushing front sometimes when we are in a real hurry. But only from my daughter with Cerebral Palsy. That child (14) has one speed and it is called slow. If she forgets to brush her hair and we are rushing out the door to get somewhere I will definitely grab the tangle teezer and give her a few quick brushes just so we aren't late. Then she hears about how she needs to be more responsible and brush her hair without me telling her to when she wakes up. Grrr.

Okay, sorry, grouchiness is over. Just wish these kids would be proactive sometimes.

pelicano
August 4th, 2011, 08:41 AM
About 10, and only that late because my hair was always a bit wild and tangly. My sister's was easier, so she stopped earlier.

Hiriel
August 4th, 2011, 08:47 AM
I don't remember, but I didn't have long hair until I was old enough to take care of it myself, I think I started growing it long when I was 7 or 8.

PineappleJello
August 4th, 2011, 08:48 AM
She stopped when we were about 10 or 11. She also washed our hair in the kitchen sink until that time. I believe I have a picture in the album that gives an idea of how long my hair was and why she was the one brushing and braiding it.

Alaia
August 4th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I was probably about 14.

But I still get my mother to do it if I can't be bothered to braid my hair and I'm round her house. But that's through laziness I suppose.

My sister who is 14 still gets mum to help her, though she can do it herself.

ReadHeadGirl
August 4th, 2011, 08:51 AM
She stopped when we were about 10 or 11. She also washed our hair in the kitchen sink until that time. I believe I have a picture in the album that gives an idea of how long my hair was and why she was the one brushing and braiding it.

Well, funny thing, my mom still washes my hair too ,in the sink!!

SC
August 4th, 2011, 09:31 AM
My mum never brushed my hair, always combed, with plastic comb which had thick teeth on it. She stopped combing my hair when I was 8, I think. It was still always electric and flying so I loved it so much when I switched to brush, no so much electricity & flyaway hair (had fine hair then). Still best thing was moving to wooden comb, no electricity at all :D.

Mairéad
August 4th, 2011, 09:34 AM
About 6 or 7. I had TB length hair. And then, after she realized I wasn't brushing it well, she gave me the same hair cut as my brother. :(

I mean, couldn't have at least left me with SOME hair?

pelicano
August 4th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I guess the question I want to ask, if you don't mind, is why?

Eilliania
August 4th, 2011, 10:50 AM
My mum was brushing my hair till I was 12 or so. I hated it, really, because she wanted me to wear hair in high ponytail and I didn't like that. Only time that I was ok with her doing anything to my hair was when I wanted a braid and couldn't do one myself. Anything else - no, thank you.

david
August 4th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Well being a guy I had short hair when I was really young, so my Mum stopped brushing mine around 8/9, I then started wearing it long around the age on 12/13. Though since I now have really long hair my mum will sometimes ask to brush it and plait it, so I guess thats a good bonding exercise.lol

jasper
August 4th, 2011, 11:10 AM
I can't remember my mom combing or brushing my hair so I must have been assigned the task pretty early.

headtrip_honey
August 4th, 2011, 11:10 AM
About 6 or 7. I had TB length hair. And then, after she realized I wasn't brushing it well, she gave me the same hair cut as my brother. :(

I mean, couldn't have at least left me with SOME hair?
Similar story here. I was 8, had hair that was to my midback, and my mom couldn't stand me crying when she ripped a brush through my baby fine hair (which has always been prone to snarls).

She had my hair chopped off up to my ears. Pretty much a bowl cut.

I was only 8, had no vanity to speak of, and even I knew it looked horrendous.

To be fair, she feels bad about it now.

xovictoryxo
August 4th, 2011, 11:16 AM
I dont remember, but I miss it. She also used to always cut my bangs and blow dried it perfectly straight every night!

jtl45
August 4th, 2011, 11:24 AM
My mom let my hair grow till I was 6 and I decided I wanted to cut it off and ended up getting a crew cut! No brushing needed after that cut!
Jim :)

Cowgirl16
I don't remember how old I was. I do remember having waist length hair and my mom had me up on a stool in the hallway to try and braid my hair. She wasn't very updo savvy. If I had to guess, probably about the 4th grade.:shrug:

catholicteacher
My mom took care of my hair until 6th grade, when I got it cut the first time; then I could handle taking care of it myself.

jennyjb
August 4th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I don't remember my mother ever brushing my hair. I had short hair as a child, so I guess I did it myself as soon as I was old enough to hold the brush.

auroraclio
August 4th, 2011, 11:38 AM
I think I was 5 or 6, my daughter who is 6 won't let me brush her hair anymore, she is so independent.

Anje
August 4th, 2011, 11:46 AM
The summer when I turned 8, I imagine. That's when I first went off to camp for a week and really had to deal with my hair on my own. Seriously ugly ponytails at first (I couldn't get it smooth for the first few weeks), but they hurt less than when my mom tried to pull my hair back, so I kept doing most of my own styling from that point onward. She still got recruited for occasional styling for several more years, until I figured out how to french braid better than she could. I still wouldn't mind if she brushed mine occasionally, as a bonding thing.

Kelli Kat
August 4th, 2011, 11:54 AM
I can't remember my mother brushing my hair so I must have been very young. But I do remember when I was between like 7 - 9 that for special occasions and school pictures, she would do fancy updos on me.

Ermine
August 4th, 2011, 11:54 AM
I barely remember anyone brushing my hair other than me. I think I was about 8ish. It tangles easily and I'm better off brushing it myself since I can feel my hair pull on my scalp or snap, so I'm much more sensitive to that than anyone else would be.

Loreley
August 4th, 2011, 12:02 PM
I think I was about 8. Before that my mother combed and braided my hair every morning. It was past waist length then. She hated when I wore it loose.
I have a funny story from my childhood about combing my hair. When I went to the kindergarten the teacher kept asking me to let her comb and braid my hair and once I replied: "No, because only my mummy is allowed to do that. Anyways, you couldn't braid it as beautifully as she can." :D

BlazingHeart
August 4th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Hmm, I think my parents (yes, both parents) brushed my hair until I was 8 or 9. I always preferred my mother do it, because my father would start at the roots and it HURT. He snapped the handles off of 2 hairbrushes while brushing my hair. Mom was much gentler.

SoulOfTheSea
August 4th, 2011, 12:04 PM
I'd have to say around 10 or 11 she stopped, I was getting too impatient in the morning for her to sit there and do it. Although I do admit I miss how amazing my hair was when my mom took care of it. :(

MissAlyssa
August 4th, 2011, 12:14 PM
I think my mom stopped brushing my hair when I was 7 or so, because I always complained about her pulling on it too hard. But she did all of my ponytails and braids and such(which I only wore occasionally) until I was about 11 heheh :)

Avital88
August 4th, 2011, 12:17 PM
i think its cute because i see it as a mother-daughter bonding thing which i've never had..
and i think there is nothing wrong with calling that cute either..

Macaroni
August 4th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Mom had beautifully curly auburn hair so she never had to deal with pincurls, etc. My hair is straight as a board so she kept it very, very short so no hairbrushing sessions for me.

NativeGirl
August 4th, 2011, 12:50 PM
My mother brushed and fixed my hair up until I moved out...so I was 19. For our family, it was a sign of respect and obedience to have mother fix our hair. I always enjoyed it, because it was "our" time. Besides, I couldn't braid my hair to save my life. I still can't.

ccmso12
August 4th, 2011, 01:01 PM
I have to beg my 10 year old to let me brush her waist length hair . . .shes been like that since she was born (with a hairdo like one of the boys in the Monkeys band! she had her 1st cut in the NICU) . . .she was BSL equivalent by the time she was 2 and I had to cross my legs over hers and hold her down to brush her hair.

Im trying to get my yongest daughter into the habit of sitting on my lap and letting me brush her hair so mabey she will love it as she gets older . . .right now she is 2 and ???ear length??lol

Its a special mom and daughter time . . .we take pride in our beutiful little girls :) Feel lucky you have a mother there for you and wanting to do thi with you.
My own mother was an alcaholic, manic-depressive . . .either zonked out in bed or out on the town :(

Eirelin
August 4th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Mine only brushed it when it was long due to the tangles I would always get underneath (it would grow out, she would hack it off; grow it out again, she would hack it off again), so she only brushed it about half the time. She finally stopped brushing it when I was about 8 or so, except for special occasions (I have a picture of her using a curling iron on me for one such occasion, and that was in the 4th grade.) I HATED it! She was always rough, yanking and pulling it out, and I also have a mole on the back of my neck, a little bigger than a pencil eraser, that got really beat up every single time. Most of the time, she was so rough that it would end up bleeding.

Very painful.

alyanna
August 4th, 2011, 01:18 PM
I also think it's cute that your mum still helps you with your hair :) I have two toddler girls and I really enjoy brushing their hair, so I hope that it can become a bonding experience for us as we all grow our hair out together.

My mom stopped brushing my hair at around 9, but continued to help until maybe 13. She wasn't that great at it unfortunately :D

A funny hair story though is that when I was 5 or 6, my mom went away overnight for work. I remember waking up in the middle of the night in a panic that my DAD would be doing my hair the next morning. LOL! It was a disaster! He tried to put it in a ponytail and just couldn't get all the hair in and tight enough I had the most horrible day at school with my hair in my face. Still remember that so clearly :o:D

Animae
August 4th, 2011, 01:27 PM
My mother stopped at about 7 or 8. And she was never too good at braids or anything else, so I took over as soon as I learned more than she knew.

I'm with the group that wants to know why your mother still brushes your hair on a regular basis.

Vani1902
August 4th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Between 6 and 8. It just hurt to let my mom do my hair so I took control. lol

GlassWidow
August 4th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I don't remember when my mother stopped brushing my hair, but I do remember when she started hassling me to brush/comb it more often. I have curls, but they've always been on the underside of my hair, so it can easily look unkempt. Someone mentioned hairbrushing at 16 would be invasive...well, constant nagging about combing my hair was more invasive, IMO. :lol: Perhaps this is the root cause of why I always kept my hair short!

Not to speak for the OP, but I think I remember from previous posts that she is from a conservative religious background. Personally, I think it's nice that she is close enough with her family to have her mother help with brushing and washing her hair. I wouldn't mind a little help sometimes! ;)

Elysium
August 4th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Around 7 or 8 I think, I had incredibly thick WL hair that tangled easily. I would shout and scream whenever my mum tried to brush it and eventually she gave up :p

Busybee
August 4th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Sadly for me, once my sister came along with Shirley temple curls of brown, my mom really didn't do much with my hair anymore.

I started ponytailing and braiding it myself in 2nd-3rd grade.

But that didn't stop my Mom from cutting mega crown to eyebrows bangs with straggly mullet side/back..............til I was 11!! shudder:

Uggghhhh, child in the 80's

spidermom
August 4th, 2011, 02:19 PM
By about age 11 or 12, I think, unless I wanted her to do a french braid for me.

Madora
August 4th, 2011, 02:20 PM
I think about 7.

RitaPG
August 4th, 2011, 02:23 PM
I honestly don't remember. I remember that she stopped cutting my hair when I was 10 or 11, but I don't remember when she stopped brushing it for me.
I think it's cute that your mom still brushes your hair, I brush my sister's hair sometimes, when she wants me to braid it, but nobody brushes mine. Must be a nice feeling :)

xovictoryxo
August 4th, 2011, 02:54 PM
I think I shall brush my daughters hair until she forces me to stop. lol
Ah wait, she does that now- LOL She HATES having her hair brushed. :(

Othala
August 4th, 2011, 03:30 PM
When I was 6 and my little sister came along. After that I had to look after myself and pretty much my sister as well.

QMacrocarpa
August 4th, 2011, 03:37 PM
No idea, but probably as soon as I could pry the brush/comb from her fingers. She's a ripper, and the concept of gripping a lock of hair above the tangle you're trying to rip through so as not yank painfully on the scalp has never caught on with her (she winces a lot while she combs her own hair). I do recall being in middle school or so (13-14) and letting a nape tangle get really out of hand, and my sweet ex-sister-in-law patiently worked on it until it was sorted out, but that was really unusual.

As long as both parties are happy with the arrangement, I see no problem with one's mother continuing to brush one's hair.

Mesmerise
August 4th, 2011, 04:08 PM
I think I was probably about 6 or 7 when my mum stopped doing my hair. She's a lifelong short hair and had no idea how to do updos...even simple ponytails and pigtails! I mean she muddled her way around them, but my hair never looked like my friends' hair! If I wanted to wear a high ponytail like my friends, I had to learn how to do it myself, so I did!!

Now, I still help my 9 year old DD...but that's because her hair has probably 3x the volume mine did at the same age (while still being just as fine...) and she struggles to get a brush or tangle teezaer through it. It is just too tangly! I do encourage her, but her hair usually looks like a bird's nest if I don't occasionally help (she gets the top layers sort of brushed, but underneath it's still tangly... and that's with an undercut that goes to the top of her ears :rolleyes: she STILL can't get a brush through the rest of it!).

Intransigentia
August 4th, 2011, 04:33 PM
I always had short hair as a kid, to the point where I have no memories of my mom brushing my hair. I do remember her trying to learn to french braid when I grew it out, but that didn't go very well. it's funny, she's a professional pianist so she has the manual dexterity, but it just didn't click.

On the other hand, when she experimented with gorwing hers out, I was really eager to brush and style her hair because OMG curls!

Seishin
August 4th, 2011, 04:36 PM
My mom stopped just before I started college. My hair was classic length when my curls were brushed out. And there was just soooooooooo much of it. I did't have a clue what to do with it. My Mum used to oil it and braid it for me. I always had it in braids. It seems like an age ago, but at that time there wasn't information available about how to care for my hair type. And growing up, all my friends and indian relatives had long naturally straight hair. I was the odd one out. It was the indian thing to oil, brush out and braid.

elbow chic
August 4th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Not sure, probably it just gradually tapered off but I'm sure I was taking care of my own hair by the time I was twelve, even for church and school.

I do remember her fussing at me as a little girl because I'd brush the fronts but never the back. "out of sight, out of mind!" lol

She tried to be gentle, but she had three of us, and not a lot of time to sit there and do it all just-so. I had children of my own before I could appreciate how stressful it really is to get that many preschoolers out the door in the morning.

But I never had long hair, either, so it was pretty low-maintenance. :)

ReadHeadGirl
August 4th, 2011, 04:51 PM
My mom stopped just before I started college. My hair was classic length when my curls were brushed out. And there was just soooooooooo much of it. I did't have a clue what to do with it. My Mum used to oil it and braid it for me. I always had it in braids. It seems like an age ago, but at that time there wasn't information available about how to care for my hair type. And growing up, all my friends and indian relatives had long naturally straight hair. I was the odd one out. It was the indian thing to oil, brush out and braid.

I recently went to Chicago with my family,and I saw a few times Indian women and girls,and especially some of the girls had really beautiful shiny double braids,quite long ,wow !

patienceneeded
August 4th, 2011, 05:06 PM
I think I was about 9-10? I remember making my Mom put my hair in lots of little braids while wet so that I could have curly hair in the morning. My hair was PIN straight as a child. Now? It spiral curls all on its own..major wavy with spirals. I braid it at night to straighten if out! Lol. I know she helped me if I needed it during middle and high school, especially for prom and stuff, but I was pretty self-sufficient. My DD is 4 and likes to brush her own hair, but I do check it and make sure she got all the tangles. She does her own headbands/scarves, but braids and ponytails are still my job. ;)

Xi
August 4th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Hmm, good question. My mum was still braiding my hair when I was in grade 8, that's for sure... I took over braiding sometime in highschool. Can't remember when I started brushing/combing it -- probably around age 10 or 12. It was always long, so putting it up was always beyond my abilities when I was young (and really beyond my short-haired mum's abilities, too, but she tried her best;)).

SugarFang
August 4th, 2011, 05:34 PM
I really don't ever remember my mother brushing or fixing my hair, so I was fairly young, probably before school age. I was a very independent child and probably insisted on doing it myself.

ravenreed
August 4th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I don't remember anyone ever doing it. Given that my memories go back to when I was 3 - 4, I think I was expected to take care of it myself from an early age.

Cassie 123
August 4th, 2011, 05:39 PM
She must have still been helping me when I was 10 because when I went on a trip away from home without my parents for the first time as a 10-year-old, I ended up with horribly snarled hair at the end of the week.

On the other hand, I know she wasn't helping me anymore by the time I was 12 because she never would have let me leave the house with the awful hairstyles I was sporting that year. :laugh:

Tuna
August 4th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Whoh... i can't remember. She sometimes helps me today too. But i can remember i never let her brush my hair when i was a kid. I screamed and cryed when she tryed to brush it. They were like a nest... :D almost got dread locks ''naturally'' too.

pineconejg
August 4th, 2011, 05:56 PM
I was probably 11, that was the first time I went to camp. However, I still had her braid or curl it until I started college at 17. No shame in family members helping each other.

spigette
August 4th, 2011, 06:02 PM
My mum still helped me with complicated braids til I was about 12 or so, but I had been doing my own hair pretty much exclusively by the time I was 8 or 9.

I have always had long hair, and I got to be good at braiding etc at a very young age.

MissManda
August 4th, 2011, 06:17 PM
My various parental units have not brushed my hair since about age 11.

Yozhik
August 4th, 2011, 06:18 PM
I got a really short pixie cut in first grade, so I didn't really have long hair (i.e. around BSL) until I was 11 or 12. When I had short hair, I took care of it, but when it was longer, I remember my mother brushing and braiding it sometimes. From what I can remember, though, I did it usually. :)

bluesnowflake
August 4th, 2011, 07:59 PM
I started doing my own hair when I was 8. It was basic ponytails, headbands, and down because it was collarbone length then. I started using more braids and buns in the last 2 years, and now it's at hip. (I'm 14)

Zesty
August 4th, 2011, 08:01 PM
I don't remember it ever. But I always pretty much had short hair (shoulder length or above) as a child, so it wouldn't have taken much time or been too much of an issue.

QueenJoey
August 4th, 2011, 08:05 PM
I'm 15 and my mom still brushes my hair, but it's extremelyrare. Not because I'm "too old", but because I don't let her come near my head voluntarily. She yanks the brush through my hair and it hurts so bad. It's not just me, though. She's brushed other little girls hair, and they've all said she hurt their heads. One was even brought to tears!

I wish I could have my mom comb my hair, it's such a great way to bond with each other. She used to comb my hair when I was little, and was alot gentler. I could let her comb for hours, and we'd talk about everything. But now she's just too rough. :(

rena
August 4th, 2011, 08:35 PM
My mom stopped when I was a kid but only because I wanted to start doing my own hair, though I found it most annoying when she insisted on doing it up the day of my graduation from sixth grade, when I was twelve years old. I really wish she just would have left it alone that day.

dragonette@1
August 4th, 2011, 09:43 PM
I used to love having my mother brush my hair at night. She was battling recurrent breast cancer from the time I was twelve til I was 43 (when she died). I came home after college to help take care of her and my father. Every night after dinner I would sit on their bed and she would brush out my hair and we would talk. About my job, about her day, about anything at all. It was soothing for both of us. I still love having my hair brushed or stroked to this day. It feels like love to me...

Honeybun21
August 4th, 2011, 10:08 PM
My mom brushed my hair for the first time in years today. She was giving me a tiny trim and was evening out the length. It felt so nice. I love having my hair brushed by other people. I always just comb it to protect it, but I love to luxuriate in having my hair brushed by someone else.

heartgoesboom
August 4th, 2011, 10:29 PM
if my mom wants to brush my hair now (i'm 24, i'd let her! :) i like my hair being brushed.) but she probably combed mine (after showering) till i was 11 only because i let my hair grow up to my butt and i needed help. but after i learned to use a conditioner, i was able to do my own hair :P

Rosetta
August 5th, 2011, 01:31 AM
I don't remember that exactly, but I do remember her curling my hair with various curling irons/other devices when I was 11-12 (and I hated it)...

This thread is quite interesting to me now, though, as my elder daughter is 9, and she definitely can't handle brushing her hair (properly) herself... :? She's a bit of a tomboy though so maybe she just doesn't care ;)

Crysta
August 5th, 2011, 01:39 AM
I haven't been able to make my mom brush my hair in at least a year - i love my hair being played with/brushed. I WILL MAKE HER! MUAHAHAHA

AnimaSola3o4
August 5th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Oh man..... The hair brushing wars..... I remember crying and crying and crying. And it was only my poor mother that made me cry like that. My aunt could brush it just fine. Needless to say, I loved it when she was over!! My mom couldn't understand, but then again, the longest her hair has ever been in her life is to her chin. I dont recall what age it stopped, but I certainly learned how to care for my own hair early in life, out of necessity!

Don't get me wrong, I STILL love it when my mom plays with my hair, and I am almost 28. But she isnt allowed to brush it unless I have first! haha.

sunshine-locks
August 5th, 2011, 01:50 AM
It might have been when I was about 8? Not sure why, but it might have been because she was quite rough with the brush and ripped through tangles sometimes :S

Dragon
August 5th, 2011, 03:08 AM
I would have been about 8 or 9 I think when I started brushing and doing my own pony tails. My Mum was so ruff that it always heart when she brushed. She was gentle when doing pony tails. She washed it till I was 12 because I had a fight with her when she wanted to trim my fringe as I wanted to grow my hair out. My Dad came along to see what was going on and decided I was old enough and I can grow it if I look after it myself. She learnt to trim my length after that as I refused to go to the hairdressers. I did want to start washing my hair earlier but she would always tell me she didn’t have time to teach me. My brother started washing his own hair when he was in year 8 but started brushing it when young.

Purdy Bear
August 5th, 2011, 03:09 AM
My mother brush my hair, yeh right! My mother would do anything except what she should have done as a parent. My grandmother taught me to brush my hair, and also braid it (about 7) when I was on holiday but my mother refused to let me have one once home. About age 9, A teacher was so discusted with a rat tails and messy hair she brought me a comb and showed me how to use it (end upwards).

When my mother saw my lovely red comb she confiscated it cause she said at the age of 8 I would hurt myself with it. I was distraught and the teacher wasnt very happy. But fate was to give me a hand, for the next month or so every time I went out I found a comb laying on the pavement/walkway, so I ended up with lots of them. However my mother didnt like this so she put a basin on my head (I had TBL hair) and cut it off.

paper
August 5th, 2011, 05:02 AM
My Mom would make me have a pixie hair cut so she wouldn't have to brush it! So, I think that is sweet your Mom brushed your hair and helped you take care of it. When I got old enough to take care of my own hair she let me grow it. That was about age 10.

MasCat
August 5th, 2011, 05:05 AM
My mum kept my hair short until I was old enough to say I wanted long (which was 7-8 years). I always brushed my own hair. My mom had short hair all her life.
And she only always old me to brush it more often :)

GRU
August 5th, 2011, 05:23 AM
I'm going to guess 3yo.

My mom hated my hair almost as much as she hated me, so she just kept it boy-short so she didn't have to deal with it.

Hile
August 5th, 2011, 06:50 AM
As a child I bathed every Saturday. First one of my parents took a handful of shampoo and scrubbed it all around my head. I got shampoo in my eyes and mouth every time. After we got back in it was time for some detangling. Mum had to chase me around the house and hold me still between her knees while she ripped the brush through my hair. She would always tell me that one has to suffer a little to be beautiful:o

I started brushing my own hair at the age of six and got to wash it myself a few years later. Last time she tried to interfere with my haircare was when I was 17 and she saw that I had slept in an updo I had worn the previous night. That time I was quicker though and proceeded to take my hair down myself.

GlassWidow
August 5th, 2011, 07:44 AM
I used to love having my mother brush my hair at night. She was battling recurrent breast cancer from the time I was twelve til I was 43 (when she died). I came home after college to help take care of her and my father. Every night after dinner I would sit on their bed and she would brush out my hair and we would talk. About my job, about her day, about anything at all. It was soothing for both of us. I still love having my hair brushed or stroked to this day. It feels like love to me...
Aw, dragonette, I'm sorry about your mom. This made me teary. :heart: :flowers:

GlassWidow
August 5th, 2011, 07:45 AM
I'm going to guess 3yo.

My mom hated my hair almost as much as she hated me, so she just kept it boy-short so she didn't have to deal with it.
There was that thread the other day that talked about Ivanka Trump saying that great hair was the best revenge. In your case, TOTALLY TRUE! :)

Celtic Morla
August 5th, 2011, 07:58 AM
I don;t remember but I do know I was braiding my own hair at 8 or so because my mom usually didn;t have time in the morning so she would part it after breakfast and I would braid it while waiting for the bus.

GRU
August 5th, 2011, 08:08 AM
There was that thread the other day that talked about Ivanka Trump saying that great hair was the best revenge. In your case, TOTALLY TRUE! :)

:lol:

My mom's hair has always been NASTY..... it doesn't take color or perms well, so she's always FRIED IT INTO OBLIVION with super-harsh perms and dyes, curling irons, etc.

That's part of the reason that she hated my hair -- I had the curls that she always wanted for herself!

RitaPG
August 5th, 2011, 08:14 AM
I'm going to guess 3yo.

:lol:

My mom's hair has always been NASTY..... it doesn't take color or perms well, so she's always FRIED IT INTO OBLIVION with super-harsh perms and dyes, curling irons, etc.

That's part of the reason that she hated my hair -- I had the curls that she always wanted for herself!
That is so mean! If my kids were to have my dream curls, I'd do my best to make them look AWESOME and I'd tell everyone those cute little things came from me :D
How can someone not love curly haired kids/people in general? :o

robynlh87
August 5th, 2011, 08:29 AM
I can't remember how old I was when my mom stopped brushing my hair.... I know I was pretty young though. I can't wait to have a daughter so I can take care of her hair with her :)

GRU
August 5th, 2011, 08:35 AM
That is so mean! If my kids were to have my dream curls, I'd do my best to make them look AWESOME and I'd tell everyone those cute little things came from me :D

That was part of the problem... I didn't "come from her" -- I was adopted. It didn't help any that she never wanted to be a mom in the first place, either.

Ribbon
August 5th, 2011, 09:31 AM
I remember my mom brushing my hair when I was three and I hated it. My mom would start at the roots and pull. I would have knots coming out and cry. She would say she was sorry but had to get out the tangles. I had to get my hair chopped above my ears because it was so damaged. I took care of it after that (not terribly well, my childhood pics show it was often in ponytails with bumps, but hey, it wasn't knotted or broken).

My mom's hair has always been super short, so I think she really had no idea how to take care of hair.

vonink
August 6th, 2011, 01:38 AM
I think I was about 15 when my mom (dad stopped when I was much younger) stopped brushing my hair... no choice because I had none! lol

I remember when I was little my mom would brush my hair every morning, teaching me how to be gentle with it and start at the ends... work my way up. She would braid my hair, do "french twists" (not sure what the real name is) or pony tails. She taught me that I could make my hair curly/wavy if I braided it while it was just a little damp.

If it was dad's turn to read to me when I was little he would brush my hair out and then tuck me in and read my nighttime book (dad always read horror books.. that I picked.. it was awesome, lol)

I was sick a lot when little and the only thing that would get me to sleep was my mom dipping her fingers in a cup of water and "brushing" my bangs until I fell asleep. I remember it to be very calming but I think the cool water probably helped with making me not so uncomfortable from the fever(s).

rena
August 6th, 2011, 01:57 AM

I don't know, but I think its really mean :(. I think I remember reading another member's post about not wanting to associate with curly people. It made me sad. :cry:

whitebengal
May 8th, 2012, 03:48 PM
About 7 i think. But she still French braids and tries new hairstyles on me. I like it :)

amanda_the_tall
May 8th, 2012, 03:49 PM
hmm. probably 7 or 8. whenever i stopped doing dance lessons. she used to curl my bangs then brush through them and hairspray them into a giant poof. good grief i looked like a freak.

Amber_Maiden
May 8th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Have no idea. Used to get knots in my hair when I was 17, and she would put it up in braids etc. The other day she came to my place, while I was sick, to brush my hair because I was too sick to do ut myself- And i'm 23 now! lol

dwell_in_safety
May 8th, 2012, 04:00 PM
She stopped when I was 7-8. I wanted to take care of my own hair at that point, I think. I used to go 2-3 days without brushing it when I was first allowed to take care of it myself, though. :D

sparrowswing
May 8th, 2012, 04:09 PM
I've never been fond of my mom brushing my hair. She tends to yank the brush like she's cutting through rainforest with a machete. Might be why she prefers short hair. My dad, however, brushed my hair (gently) and put it up in a ponytail or braid before school until I was 10 or 11. It was a consistent morning ritual that I always loved. I still don't really have the hang of braiding my own hair...

Arashi
May 8th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Hmm.. well, my mother never really did that sort of thing because she was too busy with work, so my grandmother(who lived with us) took care of me during the day, got me ready for school, and so on. I believe I started brushing it myself when I was about 7(as well as dealing with it in other ways) because that's when my grandmother moved to Florida.

I remember she always yanked through it and would tug on it while burning my head with a blow dryer after my bath before school. :mad:

lapushka
May 8th, 2012, 04:37 PM
I had classic length at about 10/11 and my mom still looked after it, mainly because she wouldn't risk leaving it up to me (very clever). I got it cut at that age to a page boy style and that's the time I took charge of my hair care.

Laylah
May 8th, 2012, 04:51 PM
My mom did my hair for me everyday up until I turned 13 or so... But that was when I started growing it out, and now at 17 it's too long for her to handle. She still does braids for me sometimes :) and trims my hair for me, but I don't think she could comb my hair anymore. I think it's very sweet.

arjay.d
May 8th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Early. We didn't use conditioner so I hated having someone else brush my hair because they don't know what hurts. Then my SIL (then DB's GF) started using leave in and combing it, so I just let her do it when they were over. That made her really cool. I still usually don't let other people, but I do know what conditioner is now.

Coan-Teen
May 8th, 2012, 05:49 PM
In terms of regular brushing I'd say since I was three or four. I was always very concerned with autonomy. But for a long time my mother cut my hair herself so she'd brush it out once every year or so to give it a trim.

nerdymomma
May 8th, 2012, 05:54 PM
My mom was fairly neglectful of my hair, she kept it shoulder length most of the time, so it was easy for me to brush. Sunday mornings was the only time she did my hair, until I was 8 or so. One morning I just refused to have her half-scalp me with that ball-tipped brush. And her French Braids were like a facelift, it hurt to move your eyebrows when she was done.

prettyhairisred
May 8th, 2012, 06:42 PM
I loved boy short hair as a child:confused: my mom wanted a little girl to dress up as princess but a was never her:eek: I remember "cheating when brushing my thick, thick hair and only skimming the surface with a boars hair bristle brush :p I thought it looked fine, but it would tangle and tangle making ACTUAL brushings so painful! I would sit there feeling my hair being pulled and wanting to cry. ! :o:D it also looked horrible in photos as you could clearly see tangles below the surface. ;) I was a funny child

Vanilla
May 8th, 2012, 07:48 PM
I think I was around 13-14 when my mom stopped brushing my hair. I always had a hard time putting it into a ponytail prior to that.

jacqueline101
May 8th, 2012, 08:36 PM
I think I was around 9 when I started brushing my own hair.

shutterpillar
May 8th, 2012, 08:40 PM
I don't remember, exactly. Maybe six or seven? Though she still put my hair up for many years after that because I liked wearing pigtails and I could never get the back straight.

ArienEllariel
May 8th, 2012, 10:04 PM
I honestly don't remember... 7 or 8 I guess? It was never a pleasant experience as she would rip the brush through my hair.

GlennaGirl
May 8th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Oh wow, how old...I think about 6 or 7.

auburntressed
May 8th, 2012, 11:16 PM
It wasn't all at once. It came in stages. I was brushing my own hair by age 2, but at that point my mom still helped as needed. And she would put my hair in braids for me, too.

The first big change came when my little brother was born. I was age 4 1/2 at the time. This significantly decreased the amount of help I got with my hair. From that point on, the only thing I got help with was braids.

The second big change was when I successfully figured out French braiding. That was sometime around age 5 or possibly as late as age 6. From that point on, I was on my own - period.

Teazel
May 8th, 2012, 11:19 PM
I must have been brushing my hair myself at the age of 7, because I remember it got matted at the nape of my neck, and my father taught me how to brush the inside of my hair, as well as the outside.

Then I remember crying while my mother tried to get the knots out of my hair after washing it... must have been 8 or 9 then. At that age I was always in and out of the sea, and out in the wind and sun, and the tangles were dreadful. Then we discovered conditioner :joy: and all was well.

And I remember Mother washing my hair in the shower when I was 10. I must have taken over the job soon after that.

PurplePenguin
May 8th, 2012, 11:30 PM
I honestly can't remember how old I was when my mom stopped brushing my hair, I think it was before I was 7 or so.

Natalia
May 8th, 2012, 11:36 PM
probably 5ish ive always been an independant soul i think i probably asked her to stop lol. i think its sweet those of you who have better relationships with your moms

irishcurls
May 8th, 2012, 11:42 PM
I had curly hair that my mom got very frustrated with so she quit when I was quite young. My father however was a different story. He loved to comb and play with my hair. He used to make the best pony tails and braids. My dad had sisters with thick hair and my grandfather would rip a brush through their hair and they would cry and cry. I guess that is why my dad was so gentle. I must of been around 9 or so when I got the independent bug. I kinda wish I had of let him brush it longer.

MonicaJean
May 9th, 2012, 12:42 AM
I think it was about 8-10ish. That's when I started to have interest in taking over. :) I still brush my 9 year olds hair when it's more of a mess because I'm worried about her ripping through it, and I can also get it done faster than she can. She asks me to do it for her too. If she insisted I would let her take over though, no problem.

luxepiggy
May 9th, 2012, 01:18 AM
I must have been incredibly young, because I can't remember it. She helped me with updos until the end of elementary school, IIRC. These days she helps me dye my hair, as I have a bad habit of missing a big chunk on the back of my head when I apply the colour myself (^(oo)^)v

catamonica
May 9th, 2012, 01:39 AM
My mom might have brushed it when i was four or five. I cant remember. But she never brushed it when I was older.

Billycourty
May 9th, 2012, 01:58 AM
I brush my 12 year olds hair, fix it in her plaits for school. She asks me to do it, and i will contiune to do it for as long as she asks.

FireFromWithin
May 9th, 2012, 05:27 AM
I started doing my own hair, brushing and undos when I was about 5 because my mum was clueless having never had long hair and I wanted to grow it. I always remember everyone being amazed that I did my own hair and me thinking that it wasn't even a difficult style.

Chetanlaiho
May 9th, 2012, 05:43 AM
My dad made my ponytails for quite a long time? xD I remember he was always quite rough, so if other people did it they were worried about being too rough, I'd just tell them my dad was worse xD

Phexlyn
May 9th, 2012, 07:11 AM
I'm not quite sure when she stopped, I just know that she made me a French braid every day throughout kindergarten, so she did my hair at least until I was almost seven years old. I can't remember when she actually stopped, but I do remember she respected my wish not to look overly girly (I hated pigtails or double braids from a very early age, and even more fiercely because the hairdresser we went to always wanted to give me such a "cute" hairstyle and I had a hard time not letting her do it at that age) and supported me when I wanted to get my hair cut to chin length.

So I guess she probably stopped brushing/styling me while I was in elementary school.

But I know a friend who had her mum help her with her hair even when she was 22 years old. She had short hair and just couldn't figure out how to blow dry it over a round brush correctly ;)

bumblebums
May 9th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Probably about 9 or 10 years old. I never liked it when she brushed it, anyway--she would pull on the hair and braid it too tight.

morrigan*
May 9th, 2012, 07:52 AM
My mom had always comb and braid my hair, never brushed. I think she stopped when i was about 12. But i do ask to do two french braids for me occasionally.

mzBANGBANG
May 9th, 2012, 09:23 AM
I think my parents brushing my hair ended around 5. I had a horrid experience with my father ripping a round brush through my hair and scolding me for crying, so I learned that one on my own very fast.

Eden75
May 9th, 2012, 10:26 PM
My mom washed my hair for me until I was 8. It was to my waist and it was a pain to wash, at least to the tomboy me. She styled my hair, which I kept at knee length, until I was 14, when I cut it to mid-back, short by my terms.

I only had to wash it once or twice a week and always on Sunday. Sunday nights were dedicated to washing, gentle combing, movies and popcorn. My mom would then either put my hair in rag curls if I wanted loose curls or perm rods (no solution obviously) if I wanted tight springy curls the next week. If I wanted it straight, she would comb it and then rub a silk cloth over it until it was dry, smooth and shiny. My dad has mountains of pictures of the two of us on the couch or in from of the fireplace on Sunday nights :)

lolot
May 9th, 2012, 10:43 PM
i dont remember i was probably 6 or 7

AnnaJamila
May 9th, 2012, 10:52 PM
I don't remember her brushing it at all, but I know it was always braided in pigtails so someone must have done it??? Lol, the hairstyling fairy must have come to visit every morning!

Vampyria
May 10th, 2012, 05:46 AM
My mother didn't (she liked my hair as short as possible) but my granny did, until I was 10. Not every day but she styled it sometimes. Now she still does some more complicated braids for me if I ask her.

Dragon Faery
May 10th, 2012, 07:24 PM
It was all very gradual.
I was in various gymnastics and dance-type things throughout my life, and she always did my hair for pactices, until whatever age I learned to do it by myself. That was probably around 12 or so.
Saturday nights were bath night when I was little, and my dad would wash my hair in the tub (shampoo, scrub, dunk, and swish), then sit me down in the living room and comb through all the snarls. He used lots of conditioning spray, and took his time, but even then it hurt. My mom would turn on soothing music to try to calm me down, and they would give me a book to read to distract me.
During the week, when I was little, mom did my hair for the day. I don't remember exactly when that changed, but I know I was doing my own hair in middle school (12 or 13), and trimming my own bangs. She still cut my hair for me until I was about 15. Then I learned how to do it myself.
Once I learned to french braid (around 14, I think) I could never coax her to do my hair for me. She was just too busy with the other kids. But I've missed it ever since.

Diamond.Eyes
May 10th, 2012, 08:26 PM
I think I was about 8 or 9. It's not that my mom didn't want to do it beyond that age, it's that I wanted to be independent. I knew how to do almost every type of braid by the time I was 12.

Johanna
May 11th, 2012, 01:59 AM
I started doing my own hair at around 8 or so. She was a yanker and it was either put up with scalp pain or learn to do it myself. I learned pretty quick.

wandlimb
May 11th, 2012, 05:38 AM
I'm 28 and if I have my hair loose near my mum, she starts brushing it and plaiting it! Hubby just laughs.

millyaulait
May 11th, 2012, 06:02 AM
I really can't remember, but she always plays with my hair when I see her.

I think she misses how she used to always braid & ragcurl my hair when I was little so I let her indulge for a bit. :)

pyroliske
May 11th, 2012, 06:26 AM
Probably about 13 because up until then my mother insisted on putting heated rollers in my hair every morning for school. I got a perm at 13 so I learned to style my own hair then.

battle_angel
May 11th, 2012, 12:03 PM
wandlimb, I think that's so lovely! ^_^
I think I started making my own ponytail for school when I was around 7, and since then she hasn't shown any interest in it. She was(is) very busy tough.

-Laetitia

FoxyRoxy13
May 11th, 2012, 12:10 PM
I don't remember my mom brushing my hair, though I do remember my older sister doing my hair once in a while when I was 7 or 8, I guess the experience of my mom brishing my hair was just too uneventful for me to remember it lol. I know by 9 I was pretty much always doing it by myself though. I never did anything exciting, just your basic ponytail or braid. I had it short for a while as a kid too, and then again as a teenager (bad haircut had to have it all cut off!!) since then I have never allowed antyhing.

midsummernight
May 11th, 2012, 12:26 PM
My mom would still brush my hair if I let her. LOL!

Macaroni
May 11th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Mom never brushed my hair.

She was blessed with naturally curly hair and kept hers short so she never got into styling hair. Mine is stick straight and she kept mine very short so it was easy for her to maintain. She was never good with hairstyles, God love her ♥

MissCoco
May 11th, 2012, 02:13 PM
I started taking care of my own hair at around age 11 or 12. I could finally hold my big hair up and tie it in a ponytail. :p

herdaughter77
May 11th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Hmm, maybe around 8 or so. I recently requested a french braid in my hair from her and she kept complaining about how difficult it was to work with my hair, lol. I would always scream and groan when she did my hair, so she was overjoyed when I took the responsibility.

melusine963
May 11th, 2012, 02:23 PM
I was so young that I don't even remember the last time my mum had to brush my hair for me.

Littlewing13
May 11th, 2012, 07:35 PM
I think its cute. As long as you ask her to do it or she asks you if you would like her to brush it for you, I don't see a problem. Nice family bonding time. The older you get the less time you spend with parents & the more time you wish you did.

I had long hair until about 12/13, but mum got over brushing, she said she was sick of it & I needed to learn to do it myself. I guess though that my hair was very tangly (we used a family 2in1 shampoo that was horrible & mum never wanted to spend on detanglers or any conditioner) so there was always knots & I often cried lol. I really wish I had a tangle teezer back then.

Tabihito
May 11th, 2012, 07:51 PM
I think I was about two when I started insisting "Bobby do!" I couldn't say my own name at that point (Gabrielle is quite a mouthful for a very small child), but I did start brushing my own hair. Poorly. It was a chin-length mess for most of my childhood, honestly, though at least it was only barely wavy at that point.

CurlyCap
May 11th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Guh. Until I moved out practically.

My mom was convinced that if she brushed it long enough, with enough coconut oil, it would turn into something sleek. Then maybe I would have pretty hair and something of my own to call pretty. It sounds cruel, but I really think she was dedicated to trying to make things better for me.

Also, because of the shampoo with inadequate conditioning, I always had dry scalp. Guess what my mom would want to do to get rid of the flakeys?

She has 1cish hair and doesn't understand a curl to save her life. To this day, she still offers to brush my hair, not matter how many times I tell her it's not really for my hair type. She is a nice lady, but I don't think she'll ever get curly hair.

battles
May 11th, 2012, 08:59 PM
I didn't like having my hair brushed when I was younger, so I told her I wanted to cut my hair short. :p I can't remember what age that was. Probably 6ish.

ApatheticFairy
May 11th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Mine stopped around age 8, but I still do my 14 year old cousin's hair when I visit, because she likes the way I oil it and then do crown braids for her. ^_^ We don't really bond any other way other than hair.

seaj
May 11th, 2012, 09:51 PM
My mother never brushed my hair because I never had hair long enough to brush growing up, but she would brush my older sister's hair when she was younger. She has silky straight hair so it wasn't hard for her to manage on her own, but she started to pay me to brush her hair once she got her first job. Eventually I learned how to braid and curl her hair too. Best little brother ever right? All that practice made it easier to deal with my hair once I decided to grow it out. We're both in our twenties now and also both have hair past MBL but I still have yet to let anyone brush my hair.

julliams
May 12th, 2012, 01:18 AM
I started doing my own hair in Year 5 which would have made me 10 years old.

Bagginslover
May 12th, 2012, 03:08 AM
I've been trying to remember as I read through everyone elses replies....and I just can't! Thinking through all the school photos I had done, all of them til I was about 8 I have pigtails, or some sort of 'do mum would have done for me. The one where I was 9 or so I had a bob, then I had a bowl cut (by choice! one of my favorite TV charachters had one, so I copied!), so I suppose it would have been around then.

My Grandad had always been the best at doing hair, he used to do mum's when she was little as Grandma wasn't good at it, and I used to love him brushing mine as a child. I'd feel weird asking him to do it now though.

Neneka
May 12th, 2012, 03:34 AM
If I ever have kids and if they have long hair I want to comb and brush it and put it up as long as they let me!

I can't remember when mom and dad stopped but I remember it really hurt! Gosh... They just ripped through it! I starter brushing it quite early because it hurt less if I did it myself.

My mom has always had a bob and my dad had never had long hair either so they knew nothing about it. I was a princess as a child so I had to have long hair. I thought it was really long but propably it was just between APL and BSL. My parents didn't really know how to put it up either so there was a lot of tangles and pain of brushing.

Haha, instead of brushing my hair my mom cut my nails until I was a something like 13. :)

Jesabel
May 12th, 2012, 03:40 AM
About 9 I think unless I wanted her to french braid it or something.

jackie_brown
May 12th, 2012, 04:25 AM
She stopped when i began using styling gel/mousse on my curls, so at about 13-14 yo.
Before, she combed my hair twice a day and they looked like sheep wool :mad:

afu
May 12th, 2012, 05:31 AM
My mum probably stopped when i was about 7 years old, stopped brushing that is. I have 3 younger sisters who all have hair around BSL (and did have at that point) and she would always insist hair was 'contained' for school. mornings were hectic so we would brush our hair ourselves then go to my mum for her to put it up, normally in pony tails or braids. I started english braiding my hair myself for school when i started highschool (age 11), my sister used to have hers done in two french braids by my mother until she was about 16