PDA

View Full Version : sticky hair

MasCat
August 4th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Ever since I started washing my hair the good way (Conditioner from ears down, shampoo on scalp only) I see that my lenght looks like it never dries up, it feels sticky/oily. The only time during this month when my hair looked fluffy and shiny all the way down was when I gave up and just shampooed it.

I am rinsing my hair thorougly with warm water, and then with cool, to close up the cuticules. I don't know what am I doing wrong.

Any advice?

Oh, and the hair looks good in a braid or updo, but I haven't worn it loose for a mont now, because I don't like the way it looks.

O maybe it's just a mater of time until my hair gets used to the new method?

kouran
August 4th, 2011, 07:26 AM
This also happens to me, now I don't use conditioner any more, my hair isn't dry but it's harder to detangle this way. I'll be watching this thread...

Alaia
August 4th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Are you using a coney conditioner?

It could be build up. Or maybe you just need a lighter conditioner.

You could try clarifying as well.

Anje
August 4th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Sounds to me like you don't have a good conditioner for this, or else you may not be fully rinsing it out.

Try clarifying (shampoo root to tip with something sulfatey), and consider telling us what conditioner you're using and/or posting an ingredients list.

pink.sara
August 4th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Sounds exactly like what happens to my hair every now and again. I find mine feels this way when I have build up and need to clarify, certain conditioners are far too heavy for my hair and cause this after one use, Aussie 3minute miracle was one, any garnier fructis or triple nutrition did it too. (I only used these once but it was horrible!)
Perhaps you should clarify then find yourself a good cone free conditioner to see if it is build up?

MasCat
August 4th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Well, after the first time it happened I thought I might not be rinsing enough, so all other times I paid attention to that.

I picked the conditioner after reading LHC, so it's a cone free one (as far as I can tell)

It's Garnier NaturaL Care with avocado oil and shea butter ant the ingredients are:
water/celearyl alc, palm oil, behentrimonium chloride, (two yellow dyes), stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, chlorhexidine, dihydrochloride, avocado oil, citric acid, shea butter, hexyl cinnamal, glycerin and parfum.

My shampoo is Farmona (a polish company) Radical with horsetail, which is a shampoo I used to use a couple years ago, and back then it left my hair a lot happier ;) No cones in the shampoo, and the cleaning agents are sodium laureth sulfate and sodium lauryl sarcosinate.

hope that helps solving the mystery ;)

spidermom
August 4th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Hmmmm. I've used this method for years with all kinds of shampoo and conditioner and have never once had this problem, except that every once in awhile I have to give my hair a good clarifying wash from scalp to ends to clean up buildup from cones, oils, etc.

Have you tried that - washing hair from scalp to ends with a good clarifying shampoo? If not, do so. Then re-start CWC.

kouran
August 4th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Sounds to me like you don't have a good conditioner for this, or else you may not be fully rinsing it out.

I think my hair has this problem because I don't rise for enough time...the times were my hair was fine was when I just soaked it in a water bucket for 3 or more minutes...the shower isn't enough...:shrug:

Anje
August 4th, 2011, 11:51 AM
That looks like a nice conditioner, but it seems like it has a LOT of oil in it... It has palm oil even before the behentrimonium, which is a mild surfactant. It might just be too much oil for your hair, though I imagine it would work OK for someone with drier or perhaps curlier hair than yours.

Do be aware that with these more conditioning wash techniques, hair tends to be less fluffy and tends to hang in coherent shiny chunks more, with all the hairs together rather than each doing its own thing. At least, that's what happens with mine. It's still light, but it's less fluffy and I don't have as many happy little baby hairs springing out every whichway.

MasCat
August 4th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Well, I don't mind if it is not fluffy.. it just looks like it's a bit damp. All the time.

Oh well, I'll try a clarifying shampoo, and see what happens. Only - I have no idea what kind of c. shampoo I'll find here ;)

torrilin
August 4th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Well, are you looking to maximize your curl, or maximize your straightness?

CWC is a good method if you're trying to maximize curl. Your natural curls are somewhat protective for your hair, and the "clumps" that form into curls can help reduce wear and tear even when you wear your hair down.

If you're trying to keep your hair as straight as possible, you might need to use a different method, or investigate styling techniques to straighten your hair.

EmiliaF
August 4th, 2011, 06:39 PM
I had this problem if the conditioner was too heavy (bad, bad experience with garnier triple nutrition) and when I did cold-water rinses after CO-washing.
I am not sure why the cold water did that too my hair, but now, after stopping CO, I can rinse with cold water and get the expected benefits :shrug:

MasCat
August 5th, 2011, 05:35 AM
My hair is slightly wavy and quite easy to style. If I bun it or braid it I get nice braid/bunwaves. If I comb it out wet it is quite straight. I don't mint the waves/curls or anything, I just want it to feel good. And look nice :>

Safira
August 5th, 2011, 05:48 AM
If my hair reaches that point that itīs sticky and oily, I clarify (Joico chelating is very good) and put deed treatment for an hour. That usually helps.

And hair go through every kind of crisis. If that happens, I just put oil and let hair stay at bun. Sometimes hair needs to be forget.

MissAlida
August 5th, 2011, 05:54 AM
Try swithing up your conditioner. My old conditioner was perfect, left my hair fluffy and shiny and soft. Then I got the crazy idea to experiment with a diferent brand...I ended up with a very heavy conditioner, that leaves my hair oily and sticky, just like what you described. You know that saying :"Don't try to fix something that isn't broken"...Well, nevermind. Actually, this new oily conditioner of mine got me searching, and helped me find my routine( BS/white vinegar 2x a week). The conditioner ended up diluted and used as a leave in for dry hair days.:DEverything has it's good side. Just stay positive, and have patience.:p

rusika1
August 5th, 2011, 06:46 AM
A few other things you can try in addition to rinsing more. Dilute the conditioner--make it really thin and watery and carefully work it into your length. It makes it easier to coat all your hair without overdosing on thick conditioner.

Or you can condition the length first, then shampoo your scalp, making sure you let the suds run down your hair when you rinse.

Last idea--and I've never tried this myself--is to keep doing what you have been doing, except add a small amount of shampoo to your conditioner. You could either mix them together before applying or you could put some shampoo in your hands and wipe them through your hair while the conditioner is still on it.