PDA

View Full Version : To cut or not to cut? That is the question.

evampr18
August 3rd, 2011, 11:50 PM
[quosiorpew'ap'ote][/quote]q U O T E

Sundial
August 4th, 2011, 12:10 AM
I was just checking out your album. I like the way your hair looks in the hair timeline album with you in a yellow top and also the one in a white top with a cropped black outerwear. Did you have longer layers there?

From the way I see it, this is just the awkward stage of growing out short layers and I'm stuck in that stage exactly where you are now - I have a layer of bangs growing out in addition to other short layers all over.

If it bothers you a lot, then you can go to a salon and have the hairdresser try to blend your layers in before you continue growing. But if you don't mind it too much, then you can just continue growing. I'm leaving mine alone because I put my hair up most of the time and if I have to wear my hair down, I usually put it in a half up so that the layers are contained

MissAlyssa
August 4th, 2011, 12:11 AM
I think your hair looks beautiful the way it is. From what I can tell in the first and last picture you can't really see the different lengths, at least not in a bad way. And trust me, you'll probably regret cutting off much length, I know I did =/
Oh and you said you aren't much for styling your hair, and it looks great and easy to handle at the length its at :) I found my hair was less manageable after a cut off a few inches, personally.

christine1989
August 4th, 2011, 12:17 AM
I like it the way it is now. If my hair looked like that I would just keep on growing. I know growing out layers and thick fringe is a pain in the butt however with just a few more inches of growth your fringe will be more managable and blend better. I would wait a few months, re evaluate, then decide.

sarahbrownie
August 4th, 2011, 12:27 AM
It seems like I'm going through this every year. I cut my bangs, then decide a week in that I hate them, go through a very awkward phase, and grow them out. rinse. repeat. You're fringe is much longer than mine, easier to incorporate into your hairstyles. I still have to pin my back. The fringe is the only part of my hair that I apply heat to because without it I'd look like a poodle it's so curly. One of the ways I got through awkward grow outs were to do the Hair Up (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=102) challenge. It goes by pretty quickly, especially if you're learning new buns and waiting for the next hairtoy.

MrsGuther
August 4th, 2011, 12:28 AM
I think your hair looks beautiful as it is now. Layers are a pain to grow out, as is fringe, so I would say just keep on growing. But you have to do what feels best for you, and what makes you happy.

Sweetie
August 4th, 2011, 12:40 AM
I wouldn't cut, if I were you... I let my fringe grow, it took forever but eventually did, so I'd recommend....only patience! It will look much better in a few months (actually I think your hair looks very good even now!!)

Rosetta
August 4th, 2011, 12:42 AM
I certainly don't agree that you'd have "VERY little hair", it definitely doesn't look like that in those pictures, on the contrary! :) I think your hair looks nice and glossy.

But basically I agree with most here, if the different lengths bother you enough to cut to one length (or almost one), then that's what you should do, but if not, then leave you hair as it is :)

MonaLisa
August 4th, 2011, 01:17 AM
be patient and don't do a major cut, if you want your hair long!

I am so glad I didn't cut this time at such stages!
Some people tend to say you should do something to it whenever they see hair that's growing longer, so if i were you i would try to ignore it and keep mind on your own wishes and goals.
Your hair is beautiful, and I love how it looks when longer!

Smallest trim can make it better maybe!

Chiara
August 4th, 2011, 01:20 AM
I think your hair looks great- I love the colour!

I am growing out my bangs too, and wish they were as long as yours (mine are not quite long enough to tuck behind my ear- so annoying!). I think if you layered your bangs now, you'd get bits that were short and irritating. Wait until it's a bit longer, and if you still want layers then I think they will probably sit better, and look less like "I-am-growing-my-bangs-out-layers" :).

Gypsygirl
August 4th, 2011, 01:23 AM
I certainly don't agree that you'd have "VERY little hair", it definitely doesn't look like that in those pictures, on the contrary! :) I think your hair looks nice and glossy.

That! And...have you tried a couple of less drastic steps like braid waves, for example? Sock curls? That kind of thing?

Oh and going through an awkward stage growth wise doesn't mean you have to cut. Try a French braid- it looks so pretty and it hides a lot... ;)

Alaia
August 4th, 2011, 03:41 AM
I think your hair looks nice, actually. I certainly don't agree that you have "very little hair" especially from appearances.

I think once your fringe is a bit longer and blends more you will be happier with it, certainly happier than if you get a cut. Your fringe is, in effect, a short layer, and as it gets longer it will blend better.

skyblue
August 4th, 2011, 04:18 AM
Oh I agree with everyone else, you have gorgeous hair
my hair is flat to my back too but I love the feel of it on my skin
I can't wait to feel it covering my butt! lol
Doing tiny micro trims every month will get those layers caught up
eventually, with out losing a lot length, it takes some time and patients though
Someone said to me once when I was complaining about my hair not growing, she said "just don't cut it" lol

alyanna
August 4th, 2011, 04:30 AM
Ditto what everyone else said too. I don't think you need a cut; your hair does look pretty and shiny and delicate somehow. It's very flattering!

I think you may be going through a boring/awkward stage that sometimes comes between BSL and waist. You might like your look more if you wait out this stage. Get a small trim in the meantime. I *always* get really bored close to BSL and start thinking that my hair is too long, or flat or boring. But I'm sure if I can get past BSL, my hair would probably have a greater wow factor ;)

ericthegreat
August 4th, 2011, 04:53 AM
I was expecting to see very thin, fine see-thro hair from your description. After seeing your pictures below your post, I have to say your hair is anything but very little or thin. Your hair is decently thick.
And remember, you are still in the process of growing out your bangs and shorter layers, once they grow out long enough to blend with your longer lengths, you will see that you actually have a lot more hair than you think you do.

I agree with everyone else here, you DO NOT need any kind of drastic haircut at all. In fact, you would very likely regret a drastic cut if you were to get one. The growing out stages are awkward from everybody, but eventually hair will grow. If the bangs and layers really do bother you, pin then back with bobby pins or wear your hair in half-updos. You can buy some pretty barrettes or hairclips to hold back the shorter bangs and layers. Really, your hair looks beautiful just the way it is, I wouldn't touch it if I were you.

Fairlight63
August 4th, 2011, 05:15 AM
I agree that your hair looks beautiful!
PLEASE don't cut it short (you know that you will regret it!) except maybe you could do a tiny trims of (1/4") every month or two to even up the ends.
Get some headbands to hold back your bangs until they get long enough to blend in with your hair. (I am going through the same thing right now with my bangs with growing them out, they are finally about 1" past my chin. I got a bunch of headbands off of ebay, I part my bangs to the side & put on a headband & kind of push it forward to give some puff to the front. Then I put the back up in some kind of updo, or braid it on one side & put it over my shoulder to the front.)
Thats what I would do.

newbeginning
August 4th, 2011, 05:33 AM
I too think your hair looks beautiful. It looks healthy and shiny. I too am growing out bangs so I understand it being a pain. I just try to have patience and use clips/headbands. Also I think I might get a haircut soon to blend them more into my layers. Perhaps you could try that too.

Sunny_side_up
August 4th, 2011, 02:22 PM
I'm growing out my bangs, but my length isn't as long as yours, i used to like the idea of layers, but after getting them its not long before i want to even up my hair:rolleyes:. Its the shorter, fluffy static ends of layers on my hair that makes me yearn for even ends, pretty much there, though im holding off trimming to get some more length!;)

I have about 6 inches difference from bottom of bangs to the ends of my length (just nearing apl) Your length is very nice, and like others have said, small trims every so often can help you feel your doing your hair good and keeping it 'tidy', and either ignore your bangs or keep then clipped aside or use a headband, i plan on getting myself some new soft headbands as im finding the rigid sort are not that comfy for me to wear for more than half an hour:p

evampr18
August 4th, 2011, 10:51 PM
@sundail- in those two pictures you saw my hair was waist length, and it was in layers...actually i think in the yellow top my hair was tailbone. Stupid ol' me for cutting.

To the rest of you, thank you all so so much for your input and for taking the time to give me your advice. You are the pickles to my pickle jar. :) The best, most sound, safe advice comes from you all. I think since my hair is so dark, it gives the appearance of thickness. I'll take it! haha

I love braids, I do those a lot...the dutch, the german, the french, the english...I love all my countries. I occasionally do the faux short bob using pins for work..I feel like a different person when I do the fake inverted bob. I walk into work and am asked if i need help, until they realize it is me...and then customer service goes out the window. haha.

Any-who i am rambling, I won't cut. Maybe I will but some more potent mouse that will give me soft waves...

IanB
August 5th, 2011, 01:50 AM
It looks amazing as it is, pleeeeease don't cut!

cindy58
August 5th, 2011, 05:20 AM
I agree with the others, no big cut necessary. Also that you're far from "very little hair"! I used to french braid from the front to include the bangs, then fasten with a barrette in back for a half up. That worked really well for growing out bangs.

I've tried that occasionally since the growing out phase, but it doesn't seem to work as well for me with longer hair.

dulce
August 5th, 2011, 07:59 AM
1 agree with everyone,don't cut ,keep growing and wear it up!You are in the awkward growing out stage ,if you cut you'll still have to go through it if you want long hair.Your hair looks fine and once all the layers and fringe have grown out it will be even thicker.

curlymarcia
August 5th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Your hair looks good, don't chop it. Let it grow making small trims.