PDA

View Full Version : Growing out dyed hair?

rbs22
August 3rd, 2011, 10:50 PM
I have very dark brown hair and dyed my hair a couple shades lighter last year. Since then, I've decided I want to grow my hair at least to my waist and keep it my natural color. My hair is currently BSL with about 5 inches of new growth (undyed). My dye job is totally obvious, which I hate, but I don't know what to do. Do I let my hair grow out and cut the dyed part off? Do I try a temporary, more natural dye to blend the two shades? I'd prefer to not have to keep up a dye job. Any words of wisdom?

growingpains
August 3rd, 2011, 10:55 PM
Check out this thread if you haven't already: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51155 It's about giving up the dye.

Some people prefer to let it grow out, obvious though it may be, without touching it. The benefit of this is no additional damage.

Other people prefer to dye it close to their natural color, the benefit of which is a less noticeable demarcation line. If you want to do this you can do it with a semi permanent color to minimize damage. I personally did this when growing out and actually only put the color on the dyed bits and left my virgin hair alone. Also, if you go with a semi perm shade a bit lighter than your real color, even if it does go on the virgin roots it won't hold for long.

Copasetic
August 3rd, 2011, 10:58 PM
I grew out a dye job. I decided to just leave the colour as it was, and get rid of it through small trims over a few years. To be fair, my hair was quite short back then, so it didn't take nearly as long as it would take someone with long hair. If I was you, I would grow and trim instead of adding more colour.

McFearless
August 3rd, 2011, 11:04 PM
You should try henndigo on your length. No damage and you won't have to deal with two toned hair.

rbs22
August 3rd, 2011, 11:06 PM
Thank you, GrowingPains!! Looks like I have a lot of reading to do (162 pages, to be exact)! ;)

@Copacetic: Thank you for your insight. It would be a long process, but gradual trimming sounds like a good option!

rbs22
August 3rd, 2011, 11:07 PM
@McFearless: Henndigo? I'm guessing that's henna/indigo? Where do I find that and what color is it, exactly?

McFearless
August 3rd, 2011, 11:16 PM
@McFearless: Henndigo? I'm guessing that's henna/indigo? Where do I find that and what color is it, exactly?

I don't have much experience with henndigo, only henna sorry. You can buy a premixed batch or mix it yourself to get different shades of red, brown or black. If you take a picture of your hair and post it in the Recipes, Henna, and Herbal Haircare section I bet an expert can give you more advice.

You can look at photos of henndigo'd hair here http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=21272

Gypsygirl
August 4th, 2011, 01:31 AM
I get my hair foil highlighted about 4 to 5 times a year but in 2009/2010 when I was pregnant, I didn't want any unnecessary harsh chemicals in my system so I took a break from highlighting. To hide the color difference, my stylist applied a very gentle, almost all natural, temporary kind of dye to my highlights. Then, a couple of months after my baby was born, I let the temp dye fade and just went back to highlighting.

Maybe that is something you could do...keep temp dying your dyed hair so it matches your natural color...and at the same time, keep trimming off an inch every other month until it is all gone. That way, you wouldn't have to get a drastic cut.

paper
August 4th, 2011, 07:29 AM
You could get low lights to match your natural color.

GuardGirl
August 4th, 2011, 08:33 AM
If you already have 5" of regrowth, I say skip the coloring. After all, you've made it a long way already! The longer the regrowth gets, the easier it will be to deal with. Perhaps try joining in on a "wear your hair up for 6 months" challenge so you don't notice it as much and give it a little more time to grow out. Good luck!

littleflowerr
August 4th, 2011, 08:11 PM
I'm on the same boat. I am SO tempted to just dye my lengths to my natural hair color so its not as noticeable but i just got a trim and my hair feels incredibly silky soft, i don't want to damage it again so i'm keeping it dye-free! I say avoid dyeing it, not worth it.