PDA

View Full Version : Increased demand for hair extensions

Kathie
August 3rd, 2011, 08:01 PM
An interesting read about hair extensions:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/beauty/5387249/Human-hair-trade-soars-on-celebrity-hairdo-envy

I'm glad to be in a community where we're growing our own long glossy locks :D

Silverdragn7385
August 3rd, 2011, 08:17 PM
An interesting read about hair extensions:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/beauty/5387249/Human-hair-trade-soars-on-celebrity-hairdo-envy

I'm glad to be in a community where we're growing our own long glossy locks :D

Oh wow. Hey, I guess that means more chance of me having a buyer (and it being sold and a higher price) when I decide to cut mine!

Crysta
August 3rd, 2011, 08:21 PM
Exactly my thoughts Silver. I hope if I decide to cut my hair after growing it the market will be the same, I will probably be in a position where I "could do with a few hundred" as I tend to always be in that position :3

Silverdragn7385
August 3rd, 2011, 08:24 PM
Exactly my thoughts Silver. I hope if I decide to cut my hair after growing it the market will be the same, I will probably be in a position where I "could do with a few hundred" as I tend to always be in that position :3

LOL, same here, same here.

Nae
August 3rd, 2011, 09:30 PM
All I have to say is that nobody seems to have any patience anymore. I guess that means that my hair is WAY too valuable to donate it now. Hehe.

mallorykay13
August 3rd, 2011, 09:33 PM
I think hair extentions are for people that are A) Impatient or B) dont know how to keep their hair healthy.

UltraBella
August 3rd, 2011, 09:51 PM
Here locally the trend is on the decline, we have less and less requests for extensions and some stylists have even given up doing them.

mallorykay13
August 3rd, 2011, 09:53 PM
Here locally the trend is on the decline, we have less and less requests for extensions and some stylists have even given up doing them.

I wonder if this is due to the increase in popularity of the "clip in" style.

christine1989
August 3rd, 2011, 09:56 PM
I think the rapidly growing popularity of extentions not only smacks of a lack of patience but often feeds negative "hair self esteem". People look at celebrity hair and think that is the way healthy hair looks without even realizing it could be fake. Personally, I spent a long time wishing for hair as thick and long as Kim Kardashian's before finally getting the news that it's extentions. No wonder so many people think their hair is "too short" or "too thin"- they are measuring it up to an unnatural ideal.

gthlvrmx
August 3rd, 2011, 10:18 PM
I think the rapidly growing popularity of extentions not only smacks of a lack of patience but often feeds negative "hair self esteem". People look at celebrity hair and think that is the way healthy hair looks without even realizing it could be fake. Personally, I spent a long time wishing for hair as thick and long as Kim Kardashian's before finally getting the news that it's extentions. No wonder so many people think their hair is "too short" or "too thin"- they are measuring it up to an unnatural ideal.
Exactly. That's what i think.

Ithonna
August 3rd, 2011, 10:20 PM
I can understand fake (not grown by the person wearing it) hair in certain cases ie. people who are physically unable to grow their own hair: OR : wanting an unnatural color and getting clip ins. But being too anything to wait for your own hair to grow when you are perfectly able to! Damaging perfectly healthy beautiful locks! Just so the world will view you as more 'beautiful'? UGH! It irks me.

/endrant

Given I am from the generation of instant gratification (I just turned 19... kinda). But hey! It is a way for those of us who are tired of our length to make some money back. :shrug: I guess it just depends on how you look at it.

sarahbrownie
August 3rd, 2011, 10:39 PM

From a trend that grew heavily in the late 90's and early 00's, especially now in a recession and extensions and upkeep is expensive, I can understand if people pass on the beauty service.

I have brides come in all the time with hair extensions, one bride had a full head weave which looked so unnatural, and others have this full layered hair that stops and the straight stringy fine hair suddenly grow in one straight length from underneath. I just :D when I think how they aren't doing it to have fuller hair but longer.

Kathie
August 3rd, 2011, 10:46 PM
I agree about the negative hair esteem- it really is fueled by pictures of celebs with hair that is unnatural and, for the most, part unattainable (unless you've got the cash and time).

UltraBella
August 3rd, 2011, 10:54 PM
You know what bugs me the most about hair extensions ? People constantly assume I have them. They ask me where I got them and why, and when I tell them it's all mine, sometimes they don't believe me. One lady actually came up from behind and sunk her fingers into my hair to feel for extensions. I came very close to making sure those fingers didn't work for a LONG time.
Before I cut my hair back to BSL, my own aunt told everyone at my uncle's funeral that I had extensions. My mom laughed hysterically. I wasn't as amused.

Copasetic
August 3rd, 2011, 10:55 PM

I am actually surprised by this. Was there ever a significant spike in demand where you are?

QueenJoey
August 3rd, 2011, 11:09 PM
Honestly, this makes me feel kinda better about my own hair. Because I'm always jealous to go to see a bunch of girls with glossy, waist length hair, but, when I think about it, most are wearing extensions. My hair isn't the prettiest, but it's all mine, which is a rarity in my town. Wow, I just noticed that.

UltraBella
August 3rd, 2011, 11:11 PM
I am actually surprised by this. Was there ever a significant spike in demand where you are?

Yes, you could get extensions in most salons here until about 2 years ago. Three years ago they were hugely popular. Now we are one of just a few who offer them at all and the calls for them are quite infrequent.

sarahbrownie
August 4th, 2011, 12:35 AM
Honestly, this makes me feel kinda better about my own hair. Because I'm always jealous to go to see a bunch of girls with glossy, waist length hair, but, when I think about it, most are wearing extensions. My hair isn't the prettiest, but it's all mine, which is a rarity in my town. Wow, I just noticed that.

I get rather piqued when is see women with visible extensions only because they haven't earned it. Maybe out of the pocket, but not out of effort. I've got hours and hours of S&D missions invested in my hair. What do they have? Hot glue?

Sweetie
August 4th, 2011, 12:37 AM
I really, really don't understand how people can feel at ease wearing somebody else's hair! If I were not able to reach a certain lenght naturally, maybe for impatience, maybe for lack of cares, I'd enjoy a short cut or a bob, since with extensions I would feel totally fake, just like wearing a wig! And the thing that mostly I don't understand, is that I often happen to see they are even proud of wearing extensions!! What's the pride in wearing something fake, which you gained with no effort at all?

Rosetta
August 4th, 2011, 12:50 AM
I really, really don't understand how people can feel at ease wearing somebody else's hair! If I were not able to reach a certain lenght naturally, maybe for impatience, maybe for lack of cares, I'd enjoy a short cut or a bob, since with extensions I would feel totally fake, just like wearing a wig!
I agree, actually I think I would much rather wear a wig than extensions...
In addition to it being someone else's hair, there's also the way extensions are attached to hair, I don't really know much about it (never cared for extensions), but as far as I know, usually it's glue or some kind of grips etc, which can't be good to have in your hair all the time...?

And the thing that mostly I don't understand, is that I often happen to see they are even proud of wearing extensions!! What's the pride in wearing something fake, which you gained with no effort at all?
Unfortunately, "fake" or "artificial" seems to be the word of the times... (Think about some enhanced body parts, fake tan, artificially white teeth, fake lashes, etc...) It's not just that these more or less permanent "fake" things are popular, but that they also seem for so many to be somehow desirable, that's what puzzles me...

11eleven
August 4th, 2011, 12:56 AM
I don't care what others choose to do with their hair. It makes no difference to me in my own long hair journey. Plus being judgemental about a persons choice to wear extensions kind of reminds me of how some are judgmental to those who have extremely long hair. We should all just enjoy what we enjoy and let others enjoy what they enjoy :D

Avital88
August 4th, 2011, 01:50 AM
I remember back in 2007 when my friend took extensions and she told me to get them too,
I hestitated but i decided to grow out my shoulder lenght hair myself and she told me i was nuts.
Right now im really happy i didnt fall for the fake quick way and have my own hair right now. she on the other hand, still has shoulder length hair herself.

mrs_coffee
August 4th, 2011, 05:12 AM

I remember envying Jessica Simpson's hair because it was so thick and shiny. Then I saw a picture of her without extensions and her hair is actually thinner than mine.

Unofficial_Rose
August 4th, 2011, 05:17 AM
I remember envying Jessica Simpson's hair because it was so thick and shiny. Then I saw a picture of her without extensions and her hair is actually thinner than mine.

Yes, I was another one who had hair envy of actresses, for a couple of years until a friend told me it was all extensions. :)

Hiriel
August 4th, 2011, 12:27 PM
You know what bugs me the most about hair extensions ? People constantly assume I have them. They ask me where I got them and why, and when I tell them it's all mine, sometimes they don't believe me. One lady actually came up from behind and sunk her fingers into my hair to feel for extensions. I came very close to making sure those fingers didn't work for a LONG time.
Before I cut my hair back to BSL, my own aunt told everyone at my uncle's funeral that I had extensions. My mom laughed hysterically. I wasn't as amused.

Well, to be fair, your hair is amazing, even by LHC standards.
I mean, it might not be the longest, but I'm pretty sure it's among the thickest. It doesn't look "fake", but it probably looks a bit unattainable to most people ;)

No one has ever asked if my hair is fake, but I don't think that many people get extensions here really, not that I know of anyway.

MsBubbles
August 4th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Interesting to hear that in some areas the requests for extensions is diminishing. Seems like everywhere you look people are wearing them (at least in celebrityland). It must certainly be yet another reflection on the fact that people just don't have that kind of money any more.

Oksana
August 4th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Hair extensions are big business in the UK, I used to do weave extensions to earn some extra money and in the small rural town i live in, i was bombarded with calls and bookings. I can spot most extensions a mile away and i am constantly amazed at how many girls wear extensions these days, especially on a night out.

It doesn't anger me though, it just makes me feel more proud in growing my own hair :)

Vani1902
August 4th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Watching this doc (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XOxXXTRDyA)made me develop a sour taste towards the thought of hair extensions. The thought of a person living in poverty donating their hair in earnest to a temple while a rich, vain person (celebrities) ends up with it made me a bit uncomfortable. That is why I would never resort to them. If I want long hair, I will grow it out. The saddest part is that the companies make millions off this hair and the owners still continue to live in poverty.When you have an opportunity, watch this vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XOxXXTRDyA).
That being said, there are also clip on extensions made out of synthetic hair. My sister used to wear them all the time. She would sleep in them. lol Lately, she has been embracing her own hair. I like to see that she is slowly growing up. It is nice to see that she is understanding that what she has is enough.

Kathie
August 4th, 2011, 01:41 PM
I don't care what others choose to do with their hair. It makes no difference to me in my own long hair journey. Plus being judgemental about a persons choice to wear extensions kind of reminds me of how some are judgmental to those who have extremely long hair. We should all just enjoy what we enjoy and let others enjoy what they enjoy :D
I agree- I saw the thread was heading a little that way. Some members wear, or have worn, extensions.
I guess for me I don't like the thought of someone feeling that they have to change their hair, or that their natural hair isn't pretty or stylish enough because it doesn't look like some celebs hair etc. It does feel like a bit of an epidemic.
I had hair that was just past my shoulders and even at that length someone asked if I had extensions. The person had extensions herself. My hair cut kinda looked like I could have- there were long sections coming out from under a graduated bob. But still :rolleyes: I guess I got offended becuase I had grown my hair myself it she hadn't.

LisaButz2001
August 4th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Count me in on the, "I didn't know the Kardashians' hair was fake." Theirs looks really natural, unlike Nicole Richie or Kate Gosselin. Now with Vanessa Hudgen's I understand, she loathes her short style and misses her long hair.

@UltraBella if I ever get asked that question depending on the situation, I might laugh or be miffed, although all of my friends know mine's real.

Jenn of Pence
August 4th, 2011, 10:02 PM

I suppose I am also of the mind that people can do what they want with their hair, and just because we are the few and the proud growing out our own long hair, it doesn't mean we should be judgmental about other mainstream hair practices. I do understand the whole bit about impoverished women selling their hair for the vanity of those with more disposable income, but hair extensions are just one of a whole heap of things upon which you could harp on about that subject.

Anywho, just my :twocents:.

ETA: Maybe the number of requests for extensions are declining because, after three years of extensions, normal clients don't have any more hair left to which to attach them?? :o

noelgirl
August 5th, 2011, 07:38 AM
The thing that would bother me about extensions is that it's something not of your body that's always attached to you. I'm weird about that though. When I had braces I never felt like I was truly naked because even without clothes I was still wearing something foreign to my body, so I think for me it would be a similar principle of it never being just me. And in the interest of full disclosure, I say this as someone who's had a nose job, so I am all for whatever makes anyone look and feel better. It is just strange to me to have something attached that you can't just take off at night.

(That being said, I don't view surgically implanted medical devices the same way. Something about being able to see and feel that extra something . . . it's a weird quirk of mine.)

Lollipop
August 5th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Although I think it's just fine that people augment their appearance (not my business anyway), I personally would not use extensions. Aside from the fact that it eeks me out to think I have someone else's hair on my head (or a synthetic hairpiece), I am becoming increasingly aware of the unintended costs of the things I purchase. I don't fault others for wearing them, I'm just not comfortable with the idea.

Besides, I'm too stingy and lazy to worry about buying them, getting them properly inserted, going to a salon regularly to fix them, or worrying that my tracks are showing. I'd rather just grow my own :shrug:.

Sunshineliz
August 5th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Besides the whole "it's fake and they didn't work for it" and the exploitation of poor people, which I think are legitimate reasons for being weirded out by extensions, I couldn't imagine I would find it very comfortable. I imagined that it would be hard to rub my scalp and run my fingers through my hair. Wouldn't that be impossible? I enjoy playing and fiddling with my hair too much. And I enjoy a good head rub.:)

Aveyronnaise
August 5th, 2011, 08:53 AM

I understand what you are saying, the last time I had long hair ,in the 90's yikes, a woman came up to me on a bus and said ,
"What does your real hair look like , cause that's a wig ! "
So obnoxious , she made moves to touch me but
I evaded . Rude.

Lollipop
August 5th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Besides the whole "it's fake and they didn't work for it" and the exploitation of poor people, which I think are legitimate reasons for being weirded out by extensions, I couldn't imagine I would find it very comfortable. I imagined that it would be hard to rub my scalp and run my fingers through my hair. Wouldn't that be impossible? I enjoy playing and fiddling with my hair too much. And I enjoy a good head rub.:)

How would you even care for the hair? I love my updos, and combing and brushing my hair well, and head rubs too. I don't know what I would even do with it. What about washing? Also, it would suck to be embarassed when, for example, going to the beach because you don't want anyone to notice the extensions. I would imagine you wouldn't want your SO getting near the extensions :eyebrows:? I woud just be very self-conscious and self-aware all the time :(

hyettf16
August 5th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Lots of girls in my school wear weaves (some wear wigs). It's mostly because they have short hair but they want a hair style, maybe in long little braids, that wouldn't work with short hair. Or maybe they don't like the texture of their own hair.

But anyway, did anyone read the comments on that article? They say that some girls are forced to have their heads shaved so someone else could make money from it. If it's true, that is just disgusting.

QMacrocarpa
August 5th, 2011, 10:07 AM
I get rather piqued when is see women with visible extensions only because they haven't earned it. Maybe out of the pocket, but not out of effort. I've got hours and hours of S&D missions invested in my hair. What do they have? Hot glue?
Hmm, well, I don't have hours (or even minutes) of S&D "invested" in my hair either. That's a choice a lot of folks around here seem to make, but as far as I can tell it's not required for growing long hair. Occasional quick trims work okay for me.

Guenhwyvar
August 5th, 2011, 11:32 AM
I think some people here have a very serious view of this.

Although I spend ages growing my hair and want long natural hair myself (I could never wear extensions) - many people just wear extensions for fun and a change. The same reason people wear make up (although I dont do that either xD). Having short hair one day and long when you want it is fine if you dont mind extensions.

People take 'pride' in there appearance and people have time to play with it - some people like the look of lots of make-up and extensions, some people like natural, some like bright colours etc. Its when people get depressed or low self-esteem it is sad.

A person is like a canvas if you like xD. Its not just impatience is you want long hair for the next few weeks and want short blue hair the next. Some people even choose to wear only wigs just because is it fun and they like to change often.

Everyone should be able to wear what they like - some people enjoy extensions more than natural hair (more choice, less effort, more fashionable), they have become as much a fashion accessory as necklaces, and not many people lie about having them in. Maybe some are growing there hair at the same time if they really want too.

--- The only thing I dont like is that they get longer hair faster then me with no effort/waiting time - but that is personal jealously xD

Sunshineliz
August 5th, 2011, 11:39 AM
How would you even care for the hair? I love my updos, and combing and brushing my hair well, and head rubs too. I don't know what I would even do with it. What about washing? Also, it would suck to be embarassed when, for example, going to the beach because you don't want anyone to notice the extensions. I would imagine you wouldn't want your SO getting near the extensions :eyebrows:? I woud just be very self-conscious and self-aware all the time :(

Agreed. I think that would be my biggest issue with extensions--I couldn't stand the effort and worry that must go into all that. I don't want to be so worried about and afraid of what my hair is doing. I just want to glory in my natural hair! (And have hubby enjoy it too:eyebrows:)

Demetrue
August 5th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Personally, I am thrilled that extensions exist (and not all are human hair - there are some excellent synthetics available these days) as long as they are ethically sourced. Learning how to do my own extensions saved me from a lot of depression after I went from below shoulder length hair (which I was carefully growing out over several years) to a pixie cut due to a misunderstanding with a new stylist. I used the ManeMaxx wax method, which did no discernible damage to my hair at all. It got me through those difficult months until I had enough hair to feel like myself again.
We don't know people's reasons for what they do, but those of us who DO have long healthy hair can feel grateful for what we have without knocking other people's choices, even if we would cringe at the thought of what they are doing. I have a visceral negative gut reaction to those large guage piercings, but I won't judge another person's right to modify their body if they so choose.