PDA

View Full Version : Are pony-based buns less damaging?

BlazingHeart
August 3rd, 2011, 05:52 PM
I know that there are all kinds of reasons to not wear ponytails all the time, and I came up with a question that I've been pondering and have no answer to.

Are pony-based buns and styles like the Gibson Tuck less damaging than plain ponytails? I'd like to expirament with them as my hair is too thick to do most non-pony-based buns at my length, and it looks like I've got at least another 3-4 months worth of growing before I'll be able to use them, but I don't want to damage my hair!

Thanks,
~Blaze

MissManda
August 3rd, 2011, 05:58 PM
I'm not sure, TBH. I try to minimize making ponytail styles in general because I'm a bit paranoid about damage, especially since my hair is relatively fragile. What I do think is they might be slightly less damaging because you don't have to make your pony particularly snug because you're going to be putting the rest up and securing with a hairtoy or pins. Plus, you don't have to worry about your hair getting everywhere and tangling because it's been secured like in a ponytail. I think as long as yo don't wear them in the same place every day for extended periods of time, you should be okay until your hair gets long enough so you can do non-elastic-based styles.

Maybe some of our more experienced members will come along and offer better advice to you. :)

Misty'sMess
August 3rd, 2011, 06:22 PM
Are hair ties bad? That is not good news. I wear one everyday.

mallorykay13
August 3rd, 2011, 06:40 PM

The wrong ones can be. It's more of a problem (in my eyes) if you aren't extremely careful when taking them out.

islandboo
August 3rd, 2011, 06:51 PM
I think MissManda hit it on the nose: ponytail elastics can be damaging but if they help you wear updos you wouldn't otherwise do, they may help more than they hurt. Just leave them a bit loose so they don't crimp the hair too much and be careful when taking them out. Also, don't "roll" them to get them up against the scalp - it isn't good to move them the wrong way against the hair cuticle. And vary the placement, too.

gthlvrmx
August 3rd, 2011, 06:52 PM
I remember someone mentioning on here that the elastic, even the good hair ties, somehow create heat on the hair where it wraps around on and that can damage the hair(of course, over time and used repeatedly). Plus some hairs get tangled in there sometimes and you they get ripped out. I avoid elastics at all time(minus night braid for now, am waiting for scroos or pins). Hairsticks, anyone?

lemonmelon
August 3rd, 2011, 07:01 PM
If you're worried about damage, you might try switching from elastic bands to using old stockings/panty hose as hair-bands. Just take an old pair and cut them into 5cm bands, roll the bands up and you have elastics! They won't snag onto hairs as easily and as softer/looser, so a little less damaging.

I'm sure they still cause damage but much less!

mallorykay13
August 3rd, 2011, 07:03 PM
The only time i wear elastics is for my nighttime braid. Anyone have a way around this?

americanjan1
August 3rd, 2011, 07:15 PM
I find thst using any type of ponytail holder damages the hair on top of my head. High pony, low pony...I get the same result.

Joribear
August 3rd, 2011, 07:18 PM
I know that there are all kinds of reasons to not wear ponytails all the time, and I came up with a question that I've been pondering and have no answer to.

Are pony-based buns and styles like the Gibson Tuck less damaging than plain ponytails? I'd like to expirament with them as my hair is too thick to do most non-pony-based buns at my length, and it looks like I've got at least another 3-4 months worth of growing before I'll be able to use them, but I don't want to damage my hair!

Thanks,
~Blaze
I think pony-based buns or a Gibson tuck would be less damaging than just a regular pony tail, just because your length is up and out of the way. That way you don't have to worry about tangles, getting your hair caught on a purse strap, window, car door, seatbelt, etc, etc. As others have said, just vary where you place the ponytail, don't rip out the elastic at the end of the day (I know you know this!), and and don't make it too tight to your scalp!

Some hair ties are worse than others. Make sure you're using ones without any metal bits and preferably no stitching.

The only time i wear elastics is for my nighttime braid. Anyone have a way around this?
What I do for my night time braid is I cut a piece of ribbon (actually, it is satin blanket binding, you can get almost 5 yards {which is more like 10+ yards of useable ribbon} for about $0.97 at Wal-Mart) that will fit the taper of my braid(s), soak it in my oil of choice (I have a self made hair oil that combines jojoba, almond, coconut, EVOO, tea tree and rosemary) while I braid my hair. Once a braid is done, I take out my oil soaked ribbon and wrap it around my tassel, then put an elastic around the ribbon. In the morning I can just pull off the ribbon - no damage and my dry ends get even extra moisture from the oil! :cheese:

islandboo
August 3rd, 2011, 07:46 PM
What I do for my night time braid is I cut a piece of ribbon (actually, it is satin blanket binding, you can get almost 5 yards {which is more like 10+ yards of useable ribbon} for about $0.97 at Wal-Mart) that will fit the taper of my braid(s), soak it in my oil of choice (I have a self made hair oil that combines jojoba, almond, coconut, EVOO, tea tree and rosemary) while I braid my hair. Once a braid is done, I take out my oil soaked ribbon and wrap it around my tassel, then put an elastic around the ribbon. In the morning I can just pull off the ribbon - no damage and my dry ends get even extra moisture from the oil! :cheese:

Wow, Joribear, what a great idea!!

Anje
August 3rd, 2011, 07:47 PM
I suppose the first question is whether you're prone to ponytail damage to begin with. My fine hair is and I've had lots of breakage from wearing ponytails every day. But your M/C hair might not break as easily.

I imagine that a pony-based bun, especially if it's then secured to the head with pins or a hairstick or similar, will be a bit less damaging than a plain ponytail. You don't have the weight of the hair swinging back and forth, and if it's supported by more hair by securing it with pins, so much the better.

Arctic_Mama
August 3rd, 2011, 07:51 PM
I generally avoid any pony-based buns because I inevitably get breakage around the band. Someone with courser hair than mine might have more luck but anytime I use a hairband in a style that bears weight/force and isn't just tying the hair back (like at the base of a braid or a simple gathered ponytail at the base of my neck) the force of my hair swinging or the weight of the bun against the band puts too much stress on the hair rubbing against the band.

Friction is a bad, bad thing for damage and any high/medium ponytail style causes friction wherever the band is placed.

Your mileage may vary, some people have very resilient hair (not mine, unfortunately).

Arctic_Mama
August 3rd, 2011, 07:53 PM
I imagine that a pony-based bun, especially if it's then secured to the head with pins or a hairstick or similar, will be a bit less damaging than a plain ponytail. You don't have the weight of the hair swinging back and forth, and if it's supported by more hair by securing it with pins, so much the better.

This, too. The more alternate methods of pinning/supporting the hair, the less force is being exerted on the band and the hair underneath it, so the less prone to stretching, rubbing, snapping, and snagging it will be. Pins and hairsticks are your best friend, hair tie at base or not.

gthlvrmx
August 3rd, 2011, 07:55 PM
What I do for my night time braid is I cut a piece of ribbon (actually, it is satin blanket binding, you can get almost 5 yards {which is more like 10+ yards of useable ribbon} for about $0.97 at Wal-Mart) that will fit the taper of my braid(s), soak it in my oil of choice (I have a self made hair oil that combines jojoba, almond, coconut, EVOO, tea tree and rosemary) while I braid my hair. Once a braid is done, I take out my oil soaked ribbon and wrap it around my tassel, then put an elastic around the ribbon. In the morning I can just pull off the ribbon - no damage and my dry ends get even extra moisture from the oil!

Sounds like a great idea but it'll probably slip on me the most and oil upon oil on this hair will just cause crunchy dry ends if i didn't put oil on in the first place, but this sounds like a great idea for the night! :D No more elastic!

Madora
August 3rd, 2011, 08:17 PM
Unless you have no other method of holding/securing the hair, I don't recommend ponytail buns.

You can still have your bun, if you're willing (able) to create it in a different way by sectioning it.

Instead of putting all the hair in a ponytail, divide that ponytail hair in half. Take the top section and braid it, or twine it, or twist it into a coil, pinning as you go with crimped hairpins.

Take the remaining hair and braid/twine/twist it around the bun already in place, pinning at the 4 directions.

No ponytail holders required! No unnecessary friction from elastics! And the weight of your hair is distributed comfortably.

BlazingHeart
August 3rd, 2011, 08:44 PM
I remember someone mentioning on here that the elastic, even the good hair ties, somehow create heat on the hair where it wraps around on and that can damage the hair(of course, over time and used repeatedly). Plus some hairs get tangled in there sometimes and you they get ripped out. I avoid elastics at all time(minus night braid for now, am waiting for scroos or pins). Hairsticks, anyone?

I mentioned that I can't do the vast majority of non-pony based buns. Hairsticks aren't very useful when your hair isn't long enough to make something they can secure. I am hoping to use a pony based bun with hairsticks or pins to secure my hair properly.

If you're worried about damage, you might try switching from elastic bands to using old stockings/panty hose as hair-bands. Just take an old pair and cut them into 5cm bands, roll the bands up and you have elastics! They won't snag onto hairs as easily and as softer/looser, so a little less damaging.

I'll try that! I'm sure I have a pair or two of stockings that aren't the right size now.

Anje, I don't know if I get pony breakage. I've never worn them consistently enough to have any, that is for certain. The most wear I've ever had with them was wearing my hair tied back to play and practice soccer 3-4 times a week, wearing them for no more than 3 hours at a time.

Madora, I tried that variation on the sectioned bun. It was not very stable and it didn't look good. I found another variation, where you exclude your nape hair and make a medium height pony, wrap the nape hair around the pony, and then bun on top of that. I tried it for the first time today. It's not stable enough to do anything remotely active in it, but for just sitting around it's relatively comfortable.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on pony-buns, folks. I think I shall be trying some in the next couple weeks, to see if I can find things that settle my hair in a comfortable way.

~Blaze

mallorykay13
August 3rd, 2011, 09:04 PM

So basically you use ribbon soaked in oil instead of a ponytail. :cheese:

mallorykay13
August 3rd, 2011, 09:15 PM
You should post pictures. I'm having a hard time visualizing it.

Joribear
August 3rd, 2011, 09:32 PM
So basically you use ribbon soaked in oil instead of a ponytail. :cheese:
Yep, exactly! :)

You should post pictures. I'm having a hard time visualizing it.

Excuse the VERY messy dutch braid, but you can kind of see the tassel. I'll try to post pics tomorrow, if you'd like. :)

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/Joribear/Hair/DSCN1513.jpg

mallorykay13
August 3rd, 2011, 09:35 PM
Satin blanket binding eh? You should write a more detailed, step by step report on this. I think a lot of people could benefit from such information. (if you are willing)

Joribear
August 3rd, 2011, 09:46 PM
Satin blanket binding eh? You should write a more detailed, step by step report on this. I think a lot of people could benefit from such information. (if you are willing)

LOL Ok, I'll work on that maybe this weekend - possibly next weekend (this birthday my baby becomes a teenager *sob*).

*Edit* That should say: This weekend my birthday becomes a teenager!

mallorykay13
August 3rd, 2011, 09:48 PM
LOL Ok, I'll work on that maybe this weekend - possibly next weekend (this birthday my baby becomes a teenager *sob*).

Hehe awwwwh. That totally made me feel like a yougin. Im 16 years of age. :cheese: :love:

Joribear
August 3rd, 2011, 09:50 PM
Hehe awwwwh. That totally made me feel like a yougin. Im 16 years of age. :cheese: :love:

My oldest is 15 - you're making me feel old!

mallorykay13
August 3rd, 2011, 09:52 PM
My oldest is 15 - you're making me feel old!

Sorry! Ill just stick to the teen social group. :D :D

growingpains
August 3rd, 2011, 11:38 PM
If you cut the leg part of a pantyhose it folds into itself and you get what looks like a large elastic. Double that up and you can easily use it as a less damaging alternative to elastics. It's better for your hair in the same way scrunchies are: softer fabric and occupies more surface area, therefore less pressure on your hair.

pink.sara
August 4th, 2011, 05:40 AM

I'm sure they still cause damage but much less!

These ^!

I couldn't make any buns without securing my hair in a pony first until it was way past waist because it was too thick and heavy.
I'm pretty sure these loops of tights are about as non damaging as you can get.
Plus I found just using hair sticks and forks put extra drag where I included scalp hair, it has to be better than that right?!

Misty'sMess
August 4th, 2011, 05:50 AM

WOW that is a really good idea. I am so spending the next half an hour getting my ribbon ready. What oil to use...:)

I really like this idea and will be trying it tomorrow. If this is how you do your buns and your hair is longer than mine then I am sure it will work with me as well. Thanks for the advice.

p.s my last post was in reply to Madora's wonderful suggestion on page 2