PDA

View Full Version : My hair caught fire :(

Prelude
August 3rd, 2011, 04:02 PM
I was out camping over the long weekend and a cinder from the campfire got in my hair-I only noticed because I smelled it burning. It didn't do much damage thankfully. I was just wondering how many people have had this incident with camp fires. :P

lizdini
August 3rd, 2011, 04:19 PM
Oh no! That sounds scary. I've never had that happen, although I did singe my hair while smoking the other day. Darn wind!

vonink
August 6th, 2011, 01:58 AM
I haven't burnt my hair via a camp fire but I have burned it before. Yesterday I burned off a small uncooked pea width section that was about 6 inches long from smoking :-(

darklion
August 6th, 2011, 02:02 AM
I burned my arm hairs, eyelashes, and hair wisps when I lit the BBQ last weekend.
The gas had been on a touch too long before ignition.
*oops*

MasCat
August 6th, 2011, 02:07 AM
I burned my hair twice:

- once on my birthday - my brother made a cake for me and I leaned ovet the cooker to look, and it turned out somebody left the cooker ignited and set to the littlest flame. My hair caught fire. My mom was scared my face would be scarred. I was scared I would end up bald.

fortunately, when I combed it out you couldn't see anything.

the second time was at my prom. I had a halfup, with all the curls, and I wanted to take a photo of a friend. I took a step back.. and another.. and another, took the picture and a girl from my class came shouting, because my hair caught fire from a candle, that was behind me.

I went to the bathroom and combed out a HANDFUL of hair. I was devastated. But again - when I combed it all out you couldn't see it.

But the smell, oh, Gods, the smell.

I don't want to repeat that :)

missoj
August 6th, 2011, 02:12 AM
I burnt my hair once when I was in primary school. I was playing with candles. It was years ago, I was young. I learnt from it.

Sundial
August 6th, 2011, 02:25 AM
Not campfire, but DH got caught on fire one time when he refilled his lighter and didn't realize that there was some gas spillage. His face, brows and hair were burnt when he tested the lighter. It happened the day before the Chinese New Year (big event here) and I was so worried that I called in an ambulance and had him brought to the Accident and Emergency department. I'm just glad he's ok.

On a separate note, just S&D the burnt parts and you're good to go

kyandii
August 6th, 2011, 04:41 AM
I once singed my friends bangs.
Only a few hairs but she was devastated.

newbeginning
August 6th, 2011, 05:07 AM
Thank goodness you're okay.

Seishin
August 6th, 2011, 05:35 AM
Oh no. Thats brings back memories for me. I was doing the whole romantic candle thing round the house. Forgot that I'd placed one on the floor near to where I decided to lie down. Next thing I noticed was the smell of burning. I was lucky I caught it when I did. My hair went up so fast. Must have been all the product in my hair. Makes me shudder whenever I think of it

Oksana
August 6th, 2011, 06:15 AM
I burnt my hair on birthday candles, lost about 5 inches :( it had hairspray in and happened so fast I couldnt do anything..traumatic.

turquoisebud
August 6th, 2011, 06:21 AM
Oh I have had two experiences with fire - because I was too dumb to learn from the first. :p I was sitting at the table using a lighter (a long one for candles, stoves, camping etc.) and my hair fell over my shoulder and into the flame. Oh! The smell was so bad my mom smelled it from the other room and asked what is that burning smell? But, of course I didn't learn from the mishap, but did the exact same thing again not a day after! I don't think Mom was home and I didn't say anything because of all the teasing that would have happened, again. It was just barely singed thankfully. I have been extra careful since those experiences. :)

Crystal2010
August 6th, 2011, 06:40 AM
I burned mine years ago with the hair drier. I was drying my bob, got the radial brush stuck, and instead of switching off the drier and getting my hair untangled I panicked and kept the drier on it. When I brushed through afterwards, a chunk about 3 inches in width came away. Luckily it was underneath so nobody could tell - have not gone near the radial brush/hair drier combo since!:rolleyes:

Kristin
August 6th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Mine was pretty singed by a bathtub candle. Not fun.

torrilin
August 6th, 2011, 08:06 AM
My parents had something of a rule, never ask me to light the gas grill. Why? It was a crotchety thing that had to be lit with matches and a ve-ry specific safety procedure, and at least once a summer, I'd cause a fireball and get singed.

It was never a terribly big deal, because I am in the habit of wearing my hair tied back. I'd end up with nicely shaped eyebrows, half my eyelashes gone and my wispies singed off. Scary, but not dangerous. Since even back then my hair was mostly in the APL to BSL range, it could have been really bad if I tended to wear my hair loose. I'm sure it went a long way towards convincing me that hair should be up most of the time.

Knowing what I know now? If I ever have to deal with a gas grill that is that easy to cause a fireball with, I'm replacing it post haste. It means a lot of the parts are wearing out, and the next step in the grill's decline will be catching one of the propane cylinders on fire.