PDA

View Full Version : 60's Star Trek hair for Halloween - no tease!

Eirelin
August 3rd, 2011, 01:40 PM
I'm thinking about doing a Star Trek Original Series outfit for Halloween this year and am a bit stuck on the hair. It will be the little red minidress, etc., and I was trying to decide what to do with my hair. It's around BSL with some long layers and chin-length bangs.

I found this link to a photoset on Flickr called The Galatically Hot Women of Star Trek TOS: http://www.flickr.com/photos/poletti/2124223375/in/set-72157602965392887 that has some great pictures, and I am not sure what I might be able to do.

I really like this one; it's even the right color! I don't know if I would have enough hair to do it or even if I could figure out HOW to do it. I have been saving hair for a rat but there won't be anywhere near enough for the height, and I don't want to tease it. I'm guessing I would have to buy one of those fake pieces but if I can get away with not using one, I would be really happy, especially since I can never seem to find anything near my color.

So, could anyone figure out how her hair was done and perhaps give me an idea of how to modify it a bit to make up for no teasing?

Eirelin
August 3rd, 2011, 01:45 PM
And here is another view: http://annex.wikia.com/index.php?title=Charlene_Polite&image=CharlenePolite-Vanna3-jpg

Crysta
August 3rd, 2011, 01:50 PM
Have you had a look at those 'bump its' there's cheep versions in poundshops too if that helps.

I think those and bobby pins might work, or maybe a bit of sponge held in place with bobby pins, under the hair.

Arya
August 3rd, 2011, 02:02 PM
Buy extensions and tease them instead. I do it all the time. I also use teased extensions in place of a bumpit or rat for volume like that.
EDIT: The first picture, the girl is DEFINITELY wearing a hair piece, looks like with a hairnet over top.

Personally I love this one the best! http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_TiqKRgLIW6Y/TJzFdfVr5qI/AAAAAAAAKFw/r2IcPYH0ISQ/s1600/hair-StarTrek-JaniceRand.jpg?

lapispimpernel
August 3rd, 2011, 02:14 PM
A pincurl set (LisaFreemontStreet has a nice youtube channel & instructions), well lacquered with hair spray could get you the volume on top. I'll see if I can find a pattern for you.

EDIT: Could you post the flickr picture? I don't have an account there... :(

EDIT EDIT: OK, this might be helpful. This set of instructions (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-kb3f_Z56YzU/TXQxGTREC2I/AAAAAAAACLE/WKGPjujAbkk/s1600/pinCurls3.jpg), number 18/19, rotated 90 degrees gives the height and the dip in the front, and maybe the next page (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WKy5BG52u_E/TXQxGLJPu7I/AAAAAAAACK8/d8U3b1ngQ4E/s1600/pinCurls4.jpg) would give you some ideas for the back?

Eirelin
August 3rd, 2011, 04:25 PM
Have you had a look at those 'bump its' there's cheep versions in poundshops too if that helps.

I think those and bobby pins might work, or maybe a bit of sponge held in place with bobby pins, under the hair.

Buy extensions and tease them instead. I do it all the time. I also use teased extensions in place of a bumpit or rat for volume like that.
EDIT: The first picture, the girl is DEFINITELY wearing a hair piece, looks like with a hairnet over top.

Personally I love this one the best! http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_TiqKRgLIW6Y/TJzFdfVr5qI/AAAAAAAAKFw/r2IcPYH0ISQ/s1600/hair-StarTrek-JaniceRand.jpg?

Oh, boy! Yeoman Rand's weave is so far beyond anything I can do! It would be so cool, though, wouldn't it? I did see someone that had her description of making a fake hairpiece on top of something like a sponge (weaving the hair strands and basically gluing them on to the sponge, which she then placed on top of her hair... sounded so cool, but I have no idea if I could even try it!

I have tried a bump-it and just could not get it to stay in, much less stay hidden. Also, the girl in the link looks more like the top piece is separate or, as I have done before, up in a ponytail that is flipped up and pinned so that it then cascades back over (sorry, hard to describe).

I was also thinking along the lines of something like a rolled up knee-high hose, like you would use for a sock bun, or just a small bun that has the hair pulled up and smoothed over it.

A pincurl set (LisaFreemontStreet has a nice youtube channel & instructions), well lacquered with hair spray could get you the volume on top. I'll see if I can find a pattern for you.

EDIT: Could you post the flickr picture? I don't have an account there... :(

Here is another link: http://classictvhistory.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/tos_charlene_polite1.jpg

EDIT EDIT: OK, this might be helpful. This set of instructions (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-kb3f_Z56YzU/TXQxGTREC2I/AAAAAAAACLE/WKGPjujAbkk/s1600/pinCurls3.jpg), number 18/19, rotated 90 degrees gives the height and the dip in the front, and maybe the next page (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WKy5BG52u_E/TXQxGLJPu7I/AAAAAAAACK8/d8U3b1ngQ4E/s1600/pinCurls4.jpg) would give you some ideas for the back?

Wow. I was thinking of big rollers and never even thought of pin curls for it.

Another thought I had (because there are also some great headband/crown braids from the series) was something like this braided headband (http://cgi.ebay.com/Renaissance-braid-headband-wowie-zowie-wig-hair-band-/250822035677?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Wigs_Extensions&var=&hash=item801072fac9#ht_4337wt_1010) with the side pieces curled like the Star Trek girl and the back poofed up with curls (and again, some kind of bun/bump-it/instant beehive/sponge to give it the height).

If that description makes any sense whatsoever, what do you think? Anyone?

lizdini
August 3rd, 2011, 04:35 PM
Yes, your last description makes sense and I think it would work and look fabulous.

Eirelin
August 3rd, 2011, 08:47 PM
Another thought I had (because there are also some great headband/crown braids from the series) was something like this braided headband (http://cgi.ebay.com/Renaissance-braid-headband-wowie-zowie-wig-hair-band-/250822035677?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Wigs_Extensions&var=&hash=item801072fac9#ht_4337wt_1010) with the side pieces curled like the Star Trek girl and the back poofed up with curls (and again, some kind of bun/bump-it/instant beehive/sponge to give it the height).

Yes, your last description makes sense and I think it would work and look fabulous.

Thank you! Now, does anyone have any idea where to find a hair piece/fall like that?? I have been scouring wig sites for hours and have not found anything that I could be sure would do it.

Sundial
August 3rd, 2011, 11:17 PM
How thick is your hair?

If it's ii/iii-ish, you may want to section off a portion and bun it up, then comb loose strands of hair over it to hide it. It's like a hair rat, except the hair strands are still attached to your head. Because it's still your own hair, the hair color matches and you won't have to worry about it falling out. Even if the hair parts a little and the bun shows through, it wouldn't be as embarrassing as having a bumpit or a sponge show through

Eirelin
August 4th, 2011, 12:38 PM
How thick is your hair?

If it's ii/iii-ish, you may want to section off a portion and bun it up, then comb loose strands of hair over it to hide it. It's like a hair rat, except the hair strands are still attached to your head. Because it's still your own hair, the hair color matches and you won't have to worry about it falling out. Even if the hair parts a little and the bun shows through, it wouldn't be as embarrassing as having a bumpit or a sponge show through

I think it's a ii. I can't tell at the moment because it's all up in little braids, waiting for the henna to activate so I can do the roots.

That is kind of what I was thinking about, having seen people on Youtube doing it, but I wasn't sure if a ii was enough to do that.

QMacrocarpa
August 4th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Maybe the technique in this tutorial (starting about 2:00) could be adapted?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCopp3wHTww

StephanieB
August 4th, 2011, 06:40 PM
The second to last time I had extensions for my microbraids (2003-ish?), I had my microbraids done up as a reverse Yeoman Janice Rand basketweave hairdo.

In other words, the hairdresser basket-wove sections of my microbraids into the Rand-hairdo... only the basket weave was at the back of my head, and the front was essentially microbraids flipped over and over into Victory rolls at about 45 degree angles to each other, and one side was offset more for an asymmetrical look. The asymmetry of the front of my hairdo versus the absolute symmetry of the rear basketweave really looked good on the same head.

In fact, Bill Shatner is a long-time friend (I was the little girl in his favorite fan story, who ran away to go to the '73 convention at the Penta Hotel in NYC - don't ask! - but I've known Bill most of my life, since I was 12 years old in 1973)... and when I was out in California for the cousin's wedding that I had this 'do done up for, I drove up from San Diego to visit with Bill... and he surprised me by having Leonard Nimoy and his wife for supper with us. Let me tell you that they both did a double-take, and cracked up laughing, and were quite sorry that the rest of the original crew wasn't also present to laugh at how much like Rand's hair mine looked. But Bill and Leonard both thought that my 'do looked even better. Both men are real shutterbugs, and I'm sure that they must still have pix of my hair from all sides. God knows they took enough pix at the time, laughing and having all sorts of fun. I'll ask Bill is he's got any pix I can have, and I'll ask him to ask Leonard for the same.

PLEASE DON'T ask me for the whole story of how I met Bill and the rest of that cast; it's humiliating to me, and Bill still tells that story to his fans, at times; I can never live down that darn story - NEVER!!! Thank you for your kindness in not asking.

StephanieB
August 4th, 2011, 06:47 PM
The second to last time I had extensions for my microbraids (2003-ish?), I had my microbraids done up as a reverse Yeoman Janice Rand basketweave hairdo.

In other words, the hairdresser basket-wove sections of my microbraids into the Rand-hairdo... only the basket weave was at the back of my head, and the front was essentially microbraids flipped over and over into Victory rolls at about 45 degree angles to each other, and one side was offset more for an asymmetrical look. The asymmetry of the front of my hairdo versus the absolute symmetry of the rear basketweave really looked good on the same head.

I forgot to add the crucial part pertaining to the thread. :o

Using hair extensions, make large 'rats' - one for the front and a bigger one for the back. Use more fake hair to make the basketweave. Curve it a bit, as you weave it, so it fits and looks more natural against your head. Divide your hair from ear to ear, clipping the front hair out of your way. use the bigger rat in the back and bring yyour own hair up over the rat; pin or clip in place. You can braid your own hair before bringing it up over the rat to cover it. Next, loosen your front hair, set the smaller rat in place at the front of your crown, bring your hair up over the rat to cover it, and then pin/clip the baskerweave in place over the whole front bit.

This ^ second part (the front) is essentially what they did with the actress who played Janice Rand. The back of her hair was either just pinned up like a standard 1950s 'do, or else they sometimes just ponytailed it and let the ponytail hang down her back. I know this hairstyling trivia for fact.

StephanieB
August 4th, 2011, 06:53 PM
BTW - you can make the minidress uniform red (for Security), or blue or gold (for Science or for Command, respectively).

Uhura and Rand were under Security division, so they wore red uniforms. Sulu and Checkov wore the gold of Command division. Dr McCoy and Nurse Chapel wore blue, as Medical personnel, and Spock wore it as Science Officer. Kirk wore Command gold.

So pick the color you like best, and go with it. Or pick the character you wish to play (or your own) by division and use the right color for that.

Sundial
August 4th, 2011, 07:10 PM
I think it's a ii. I can't tell at the moment because it's all up in little braids, waiting for the henna to activate so I can do the roots.

That is kind of what I was thinking about, having seen people on Youtube doing it, but I wasn't sure if a ii was enough to do that.

Do a test run when you have some free time :D it also helps to do a braided bun as a hair rat to bulk things up

ETA: also, I believe henna users usually observe thickening from using henna. It could be thick enough. You'll just have to do a trail run to see if this will work for you. Hope things work out for you :flower:

Arya
August 5th, 2011, 07:38 AM

That headband is a 5 stranded braid with uneven sizes of strands.

I bought a back of nice kanekelon extensions on a weave for 12 dollars, I could have made 20 of those at least.
Please do not buy this item for 34 dollars, you'd be getting so fleeced.

Eirelin
August 5th, 2011, 09:44 AM

In fact, Bill Shatner is a long-time friend (I was the little girl in his favorite fan story, who ran away to go to the '73 convention at the Penta Hotel in NYC - don't ask! - but I've known Bill most of my life, since I was 12 years old in 1973)... and when I was out in California for the cousin's wedding that I had this 'do done up for, I drove up from San Diego to visit with Bill... and he surprised me by having Leonard Nimoy and his wife for supper with us. Let me tell you that they both did a double-take, and cracked up laughing, and were quite sorry that the rest of the original crew wasn't also present to laugh at how much like Rand's hair mine looked. But Bill and Leonard both thought that my 'do looked even better. Both men are real shutterbugs, and I'm sure that they must still have pix of my hair from all sides. God knows they took enough pix at the time, laughing and having all sorts of fun. I'll ask Bill is he's got any pix I can have, and I'll ask him to ask Leonard for the same.

PLEASE DON'T ask me for the whole story of how I met Bill and the rest of that cast; it's humiliating to me, and Bill still tells that story to his fans, at times; I can never live down that darn story - NEVER!!! Thank you for your kindness in not asking.

Very, very cool, and no, I won't ask.

I forgot to add the crucial part pertaining to the thread. :o

Using hair extensions, make large 'rats' - one for the front and a bigger one for the back. Use more fake hair to make the basketweave. Curve it a bit, as you weave it, so it fits and looks more natural against your head. Divide your hair from ear to ear, clipping the front hair out of your way. use the bigger rat in the back and bring yyour own hair up over the rat; pin or clip in place. You can braid your own hair before bringing it up over the rat to cover it. Next, loosen your front hair, set the smaller rat in place at the front of your crown, bring your hair up over the rat to cover it, and then pin/clip the baskerweave in place over the whole front bit.

This ^ second part (the front) is essentially what they did with the actress who played Janice Rand. The back of her hair was either just pinned up like a standard 1950s 'do, or else they sometimes just ponytailed it and let the ponytail hang down her back. I know this hairstyling trivia for fact.

I'm not sure I could do all that, but I would like to try. Now I'm kind of torn between the two styles, but it looks like I will need extensions one way or another.

BTW - you can make the minidress uniform red (for Security), or blue or gold (for Science or for Command, respectively).

Uhura and Rand were under Security division, so they wore red uniforms. Sulu and Checkov wore the gold of Command division. Dr McCoy and Nurse Chapel wore blue, as Medical personnel, and Spock wore it as Science Officer. Kirk wore Command gold.

So pick the color you like best, and go with it. Or pick the character you wish to play (or your own) by division and use the right color for that.

I was thinking red or gold, mostly because I don't look all that great in baby blue. Gold is usually pretty good with red hair (and even though I started using henna to brighten it up and cover the gray, I am actually a redhead and have the coloring to match). But since I can't sew, I'm going to have to go with what I can find and afford, and so far, the red is the one that I have found for a better price.

That headband is a 5 stranded braid with uneven sizes of strands.

I bought a back of nice kanekelon extensions on a weave for 12 dollars, I could have made 20 of those at least.
Please do not buy this item for 34 dollars, you'd be getting so fleeced.

I replied to your PM. Thank you so much.

Do a test run when you have some free time :D it also helps to do a braided bun as a hair rat to bulk things up

ETA: also, I believe henna users usually observe thickening from using henna. It could be thick enough. You'll just have to do a trail run to see if this will work for you. Hope things work out for you :flower:

Well, here is a trial run. I put in barrel curls (first time ever; they seem to be a little easier than pin curls, oddly enough) and tried different ways of doing it, with a small bun under the top part, with topsy-tail ponies under it, etc. I guess I just need more hair, so I will have to get the extensions. Also, I used my own headband in lieu of the braided one, which would look a lot better (although this is one of my favorite headbands because of the color; I made it to sell but liked it too much and kept it).

Barrel curls: http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn245/Eirelin/Hair/th_08-04-2011_barrel-curls_A.jpg

First attempt (not enough height/volume): http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn245/Eirelin/Hair/th_08-04-2011_Star-Trek_attempt_A.jpg http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn245/Eirelin/Hair/th_08-04-2011_Star-Trek_attempt_B.jpg

And just for the heck of it, what the curls did after fussing with it for a couple of hours: http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn245/Eirelin/Hair/th_08-04-2011_barrel-curls_G.jpg

I keep looking at the shed hair I've been saving and just begging it to multiply. Maybe there would be enough by Halloween NEXT year for a rat, but definitely not this year.

Thank you, everyone. I'm pretty new at doing anything more than Dutch braids, plain buns, etc., so I don't know if this will work but I really, REALLY appreciate all the advice.