PDA

View Full Version : ACV Rinse?

Atira
August 3rd, 2011, 12:04 PM
I'm so sorry but the forum isn't letting me do searches for some reason and I need to know how exactly you do a ACV rinse? Do you mix with water? How much? Do you rinse it out? Does the smell stay in your hair? What does it do?

Sundial
August 3rd, 2011, 12:14 PM
It has to be mixed with water or it'll be too harsh. You can experiment with the dilution rate but I usually use 1 tablespoon of vinegar to every 2 cups of water.

You can choose whether to use it as a final rinse or to rinse it out after you're done. Some people said that the smell of vinegar goes away after the hair dries but I've found that it always lingers. Also, some people complained that the smell reappears Shen they get caught in the rain. So I choose to rinse again with water after the vinegar rinse.

The acidic nature of the rinse is supposed to balance your scalp's pH level and it's also supposed to make hair more shiny by making hair cuticles lie flatter I think

MissAlida
August 8th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I use white vinegar instead of apple cider, and I find that the scent really disappears after the hair is dried. I use 1 tbs white vinegar in 1 cup (250ml) water. I always do a final rinse with cold water. It's great.:)

Roscata
August 8th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I put one tea spoon of ACV to one glass of water with 2 drops of Rosemary EO (essential oil), I pour that on my scalp and hair then put my hair up for a few minutes, then I rinse it out. The smell doesn't stay for me. It makes my hair shinny, easy to de-tangle and my scalp doesn't itch.

Vlientje
August 8th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Does your hair have to be totally soaked in the ACV? So every single hair gets stripped? Cause when just throwing some cups over my hair, it feels like I havn't covered all of it..

Sundial
August 8th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Does your hair have to be totally soaked in the ACV? So every single hair gets stripped? Cause when just throwing some cups over my hair, it feels like I havn't covered all of it..

I usually mix the vinegar rinse in a small basin of water and dunk my head in there to soak. I'll pour some of the mix over my scalp too several times since it helps with the itchies.

Some people pour it over their head and catch the drips with a basin below, then repeat again a few times. :) you can figure out something that works better for you. I just like soaking it because I feels that it saturated better since I have thick hair

MicheleClaire
August 8th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Personally, I have a clear squirt bottle that I got from the Walmart kitchen section. It looks like a ketchup bottle like this:

http://greenterrafirma.com/images/ketchup-bottle.jpg

I fill it one part Apple Cider Vinegar and five parts warm water to the top (that's the highest concentration I'll use, sometimes I use less ACV) and then after I've shampoo'd and conditioned to detangle, I'll squirt it over my canopy. I bring my hair over one shoulder and use the ACV rinse there, too. Put my hair under the water for thirty seconds (I don't bother to wash it all out) and then let it air dry.

I realize that 1:5 ratio is high for most people, but my hair likes it. Nice and soft and shiny, never greasy.

Hairitic
August 8th, 2011, 08:53 PM
I just did my first ACV rinse yesterday and found that the scent did linger after my hair dried. I'd say my hair is very soft and I think it is a little shinier than usual. I think I'll rinse it out next time and see if that eliminates the smell.

slo2gro
August 8th, 2011, 09:56 PM
awww all this info is great i was wondering all the same stuff. Im so nervous about trying it i know im a dork lol

AnqeIicDemise
August 9th, 2011, 12:10 AM
I've tried ACV, WV and RV... WV has come out as the winner.

A few drops of lyang lyang and lavender makes a happy, happy Demise. Sometimes I add some sweet orange instead of lavender. It depends when I'm doing the rinse... day or night..

AshleyTheRed
August 9th, 2011, 01:29 AM
I do an ACV rinse as needed which is usually once every two weeks or so. My hair is really oilly though.
I mix one tablespoon of ACV for every cup of water. I have a Gatorade bottle type thing that I use.

TheCaityCat
August 9th, 2011, 01:58 AM
I gently massage some of it through my hair because my hair is pretty thick. I use one hand to squeeze the bottle (I use an empty pop bottle with a small hole cut in the lid because I haven't gotten around to buying something fancier) and one hand to make sure all of my hair gets covered.

Vlientje
August 9th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Haaa some very good tips here to get ACV in, that's great!

bluesnowflake
August 9th, 2011, 09:48 AM
One question-do you do it after shampooing or after conditioning?

BlazingHeart
August 9th, 2011, 09:57 AM
After conditioning - it should be the last thing you do.

I use one of those big 32 oz cups and throw a bit less than 1 oz in the bottom, then fill it up 3/4 of the way. I pour a bit on my scalp, then dunk my length in the cup for 15-20 seconds, then pour the rest over my scalp. I leave it on for a few minutes then rinse it out because I can't stand the smell of vinegar. I find ACV the most tolerable smell-wise, but that isn't saying much. Having it on me for the 4-48 hours my hair takes to dry would be completely intolerable.

It really reduces my scalp itch, makes for less flaking, and makes my hair softer and shinier. If my scalp is really itchy, after the ACV rinse, I do a chamomile tea rinse (2 bags of cheap chamomile tea steeped for half an hour in 2 cups of hot water, chilled in the fridge if the itch is REALLY bad, otherwise just left to cool so it's not uncomfortably hot)

~Blaze

Vlientje
August 9th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Another stupid question coming up.. I do have to rinse with normal water after an ACV-rinse, right? :P

longcurlygirl<3
August 9th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Another stupid question coming up.. I do have to rinse with normal water after an ACV-rinse, right? :P
Well if you wish, yes, I always rinse with cold, COLD, water. I feel it helps my hair become more shinier :p

Vlientje
August 9th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I do too! But right now I can't, the heat-button is stuck -_- When I put it warmer, it doesn't go back :/ But well, this problem will be fixed soon and brrr-shower-endings will be back! xD

BlazingHeart
August 9th, 2011, 02:39 PM
It may not make a difference for you. A cold rinse at the end does nothing for me but make me chilly. Worth expiramenting to see.

slo2gro
August 9th, 2011, 09:55 PM
quick question if i have psoriasis on my scalp it shouldnt irritate it more right

katsrevenge
August 9th, 2011, 10:46 PM
quick question if i have psoriasis on my scalp it shouldnt irritate it more right

It actually helps keep mine down and controlled!

I just add some ACV to an old shampoo bottle squirt, massage in, squirt.. till it's gone. I pay more attention to the scalp then the ends. Since the theory is that the ACV is returning the hair and scalp's Ph back to what it normally is...instead of water's pH.. I do not rinse it out.

My hair loves it after a CO wash but I don't do that but maybe once a week or so.

slo2gro
August 12th, 2011, 01:52 PM
can acv go bad.... mine is old about a year or so and seems to have crystalized a bit on the bottom im taking it its not good any longer n not fit for use.

Cainwen
August 12th, 2011, 02:15 PM
vinegar is wine gone bad, so its already 'spoiled'. according to this http://www.stilltasty.com/questions/index/83 vinegar has a shelf life of the age of the universe. It can get cloudy/crystalize, but its still perfectly good vinegar.

Cowgirl16
August 12th, 2011, 02:25 PM
I tried this the first time today after I washed and conditioned my hair. I put the ends of my hair in the glass of ACV and water for about a minute and then poured the rest of it over my head. I waited about 5 minutes and then did a really quick half rinse under the shower. It's been several hours now, my hair is still damp...no smell, we'll see how it ends up :D

slo2gro
August 14th, 2011, 09:03 AM
how did it go cowgirl....

OK ALL I DID IT.... i did the acv rinse and OMG it was sooo amazing. I dunno if it will be this great for everyone but did wonders on my hair. I did not have any left over smells. It cleaned my scalp n hair so well n all the nasty tangles i normally had seemed to be far less. I was so amazed. Normally I have to spray a lot of leave ins before attempting to comb not this time I was truly amazed. Was my first time ever and I am in love with ACV really. WOW

boomtownrat
August 14th, 2011, 09:32 AM
White vinegar works better for me because ACV stains my hair, which is pure silver and white. Another benefit of the white vinegar is that it seems to smell slightly less like I'm pickling my head, although there's usually a faint lingering smell. I dilute the vinegar with filtered water (roughly 5:1 water to vinegar) and apply it with a spray bottle, which makes it easier to get to my scalp and keeps it out of my face. I give myself a scalp massage after spraying on the solution. My hair seems happiest if I rinse it out with pure filtered water but my scalp seems a bit happier if I leave it, so I switch between the two.

Cowgirl16
August 15th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Sorry it took so long Slo2gro, my hair was damp until that night (I had braided it). My hair was super shiney and soft :) my DH said it looked really "healthy"; the smell was completely gone within a couple of hours and my hair smelled "clean". I had to wash my hair again this morning and so I did it again :D This time I soaked my ends as before but then I added more water to the mix, poured some over my head and then diluted the mix once more and poured the remainder over my head. I'm hooked :cool:

slo2gro
August 15th, 2011, 02:10 PM
woot woot cowgirl.... yayyy me too i havent done it yet since. But, i am soooo happy i did and will again. I havent washed my hair since friday its still so soft n nice im all excited damn. I got good news today too that my brain tumor is still stable so im happy that I can keep on growing my hair woot woot. I still have headaches from hell and have to take meds from hell but well im still alive so better than nothing. I am loving the ACV yayyyy

sally_neuf
August 15th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Just to have in mind, always measure, because too much vinegar makes my hair too icky and dry. The other I just went crazy like "oooh I love apple vinegar!!" and my hair was a disaster and I had to make an oil moisturizing treatment after that

Cowgirl16
August 15th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Just to have in mind, always measure, because too much vinegar makes my hair too icky and dry. The other I just went crazy like "oooh I love apple vinegar!!" and my hair was a disaster and I had to make an oil moisturizing treatment after that

Thank you for the information, that's good to know, I put just a splash in a big plastic cup.

Cowgirl16
August 15th, 2011, 03:13 PM
woot woot cowgirl.... yayyy me too i havent done it yet since. But, i am soooo happy i did and will again. I havent washed my hair since friday its still so soft n nice im all excited damn. I got good news today too that my brain tumor is still stable so im happy that I can keep on growing my hair woot woot. I still have headaches from hell and have to take meds from hell but well im still alive so better than nothing. I am loving the ACV yayyyy

Great hair AND a great attitude. I pray for your continued recovery.

slo2gro
August 15th, 2011, 03:30 PM
awww thanks hun im glad we both had good experiences with the acv woot did anyone else try it

swearnsue
August 15th, 2011, 03:49 PM
I tried it but it didn't do too much I don't think. I mixed 1/2 tsp into a cup of rosemary tea. Then after shampooing I poured it on my hair and left it in for a minute or two and then rinsed with water. My scalp did feel tingly which felt good but that was probably from the rosemary tea. I will try it again tho.

Charlemaigne
August 15th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I recently started ACV rinses - I use WEN and Hair One as my CO, so they already make my hair soft and shiny, but understand the ACV is to help the cuticle lay flat and help protect the hair. I use a medium sized laundry det. bottle (Mrs. Meyers) which is see through. It is 64 oz. so I marked a fill line on the bottle for the 8-10 Tablespoons of vinegar then I fill with warm water. It has a handle and makes it much easier to pour a considerable amount of rinse water.

SoulOfTheSea
August 17th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I just COed and did my FIRST ACV rinse, my hair is dripping wet at the moment, so I cannot wait until it is dry so I can see the results! :D

gthlvrmx
September 15th, 2011, 05:17 PM
So if it helps make the cuticle lie flat, will doing ACV dry out the hair if you just do ACV rinses instead in between washes?
Basically, can ACV be drying?