PDA

View Full Version : Does natural really mean natural?

bushy
August 3rd, 2011, 10:28 AM
I was looking for a good boar's head bristle brush and keep finding natural bristle. Is there another type of natural bristles? Should I wait till I can find a BHB?

Lollipop
August 3rd, 2011, 10:36 AM
You should look for something that specifically says boar. I got mine in the ethnic section of Target, for a whopping $3 (they had one in the regular brush section for $10 :confused:). As far as "natural" bristles, well there are many different types of bristles that are natural. For example, my dry body brush is made from Tampico, which comes from the agave plant, so it is natural. But natural=/=boar.

Madora
August 3rd, 2011, 11:13 AM
Hopefully, there will be some sort of tag with the brush that says that it is a natural (i.e.) pure boar bristle brush. You could always visit the manufacturer's site and ask if the brush used pure boar bristles (just to be on the safe side).

Many years ago, somewhere on the handle or brush itself it would say 100% or "boar bristle".

Anje
August 3rd, 2011, 11:42 AM
I've seen lots of things labeled "natural bristle" that are clearly not boar bristles. They tend to be pale colored and I'm pretty sure they're a plant fiber like sisal or jute. Then again, those aren't usually in the haircare section, but are used more for scrubbing one's body. (There are light boar bristle brushes, but I think they're quite uncommon.)

What I do notice is that around here, they're just called "boar bristles" and don't specify what part of the animal they come from. I don't know whether that will help you in your search or not....